Bono's accent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guill

War Child
Does Bono change his accent when he is on American TV ? Does he "adapt" it ?

Do you notice a change in Bono's accent when he spends a lot of time in America (during a tour) ?

I think you raise an interesting question. It might be interesting to compare the vocal from his Harvard commencement speech to the reading he did this week for the Becket Centenial.

The link for the Becket one is at u2.com, and you dont have to be a member to listen. Im not sure if the Harvard one is available anymore

guill said:
Does Bono change his accent when he is on American TV ? Does he "adapt" it ?

Do you notice a change in Bono's accent when he spends a lot of time in America (during a tour) ?

I've had similar thoughts about his accent recently while listening to the recording of the Dallas show. (I'm an accent nerd. :nerd: )

My experience as an Army Brat (for what it's worth...lol) is that when you are involved or live in a more "global or migrant" world, your accent does change and adapt.

My father's strong Texas drawl at the beginning of his military career has faded quite a bit. But when you get him back home to West Texas where he was raised, it comes out again.

Anyway, your post was about Bono not my Dad. :)

Bono's accent has changed quite a bit since they first started out. I don't think he is changing his accent on purpose, but I would bet he is one whose accent adapts to wherever he is.

i think he changed it on purpose for the Beckett poem though - made it stronger, more Dublin

it def didn't sounds like any Bono i've heard in a while but was wonderful to listen to :drool:

digsy said:
i think he changed it on purpose for the Beckett poem though - made it stronger, more Dublin

it def didn't sounds like any Bono i've heard in a while but was wonderful to listen to :drool:

aye that was definately exaggarated, but it sounded :drool: lovely :wink:

celtophile said:
I think you raise an interesting question. It might be interesting to compare the vocal from his Harvard commencement speech to the reading he did this week for the Becket Centenial.

The link for the Becket one is at u2.com, and you dont have to be a member to listen. Im not sure if the Harvard one is available anymore

Thanks for directing us there! Lovely!

Yeah. His accent was more noticable in the early days and not so much now. His voice is also deeper, so maybe that has something to do with it.

well he actually have an accent of an irishman who sometimes try to adapt it in american accent...IMHO...
i.e.: listen to AB, can you hear some "americanism" in it compared to their
precedent word (of course, he's singing, not talking, so everything it's a little bit distorched but yet..)

Sounds to me like sometimes his accent is less pronounced than other times. Have noticed that before with others too. Their accents have adapted to where they are living. But when they are back in their original turf than it becomes strong again.

Does anyone remember his intro speech for Bruce Springsteen into the R&R HOF in 1999? That accent was pure Dublin, even though he was doing it in New York. He usually doesn't have that much of an Irish accent when he's in the States but this one sticks out in my mind.

I think he can pull out the Irish and American when he wants to....

Just like I can speak in the proper context all the time if I wanted to or I can pull out the Brooklyn NY way of speaking too. You can take the girl out of Brooklyn but not the Brooklyn out of the girl. I would say it is the same with his irish/english.

I think Bono has learned to be more Irish than American or American than Irish in accent.

If you hear Larry talk, his accent is really obvious, whereas Bono's been so involved with speeches and such, that he's gotten his accent to be a bit more Americanized.
I probably make no sense, but it basically seems like he's able to control his accent to be more Irish or more American.
all in all, it's his advantage :drool:

Did anyone notice Ali's accent? Not too strongly Irish either.

Hmm, interesting point you've made.

I definently noticed that his accent in that speech was VERY Irish. I think it had something to do with how excited he was acting while giving the speech, or maybe he was jsut doing it on purpose

On a side note I know I change accents when I'm in different parts of the US. When I'm in Texas I definently have a southern accent going on

and on another note...wow I haven't been to PLEBA in forever

digsy said:

Does anyone have the link for this?

my american friends remark that my accent changes when i'm talking to international friends. but when i talk to my US friends, it is more americanized. :hmm: i guess one learns and adapts accordingly to the given situation. :)

I always like to hear the differences in how he pronounces "The Reverend Martin Luther King" from Pride. Sometimes its American, sometimes its heavy Irish on the "Lutheir"

longingforBono said:
Thank you very much BonosBaby! I couldn't get any of the other links posted on here to ever work for me.

Awwwwww you are very welcome! Im happy that this one worked for you :). Really love his accent when he reads this poem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom