Bono would LOVE this little kid!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desire4Bono

Refugee
living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wron
I just came out of the grocery store, and here was this little boy who looked like Harry Potter. He was no more than 10 or 11 and he had a table of pamphlets and a poster and he was lecturing on the starving children of Africa. He had the whole Bono-esque speech about AIDS, health care, hunger and the entire continent being flushed away in our lifetime. I almost laughed he was so cute!

I told him he sounded just like Bono, and he gave me a blank stare! I thought he had to be a U2 fan, or the kid of a U2 fan to be so into that cause, or if he was that into it you figure he would have at least have heard of Bono and he would be his hero or something. He said he never heard of him! I asked him if he ever heard of the rock band U2 and he looked perplexed and said maybe but I don't know if any bells really went off in his head. I asked the teenage boy who was with him, and he just shook his head. I told him Bono was my favorite singer and he was very involved in his cause and would be very proud of him. Not too many little kids would give up their Saturday off from school on a warm sunny day like this to sit in front of Food Lion and lecture on poor African kids. I didn't have any cash, I had used my bankcard inside, but I gave him all the change I had in the bottom of my purse. I told him it was in honor of Bono. He said THANK YOU very happily and dropped it in his little wicker basket. It was all he had. It's good to know there are kids like him out there, I'm sure Bono would think so too!

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 02-16-2002).]

aaaaaaawwwwwwwww that is so sweet, and who says there is no hope in the future generations.

------------------
Daisy :)

She's standing at the station with her face pressed up against the glass.

"Jon, why can't you do what Bono says"--The Daily Show

All I saw was a little boy and a teenage boy. They had all kinds of literature so I'm sure they were legitimate, and he was very knowledgeable. I know, it does seem weird because most kids wouldn't care that's why he's so special.

There have been cases of charity fraud in my area, people collecting and then keeping it, but I don't think this is a case of that. At least I hope not, it would be very disheartening if it were.

Originally posted by Desire4Bono:

There have been cases of charity fraud in my area, people collecting and then keeping it, but I don't think this is a case of that. At least I hope not, it would be very disheartening if it were.

If he was scamming, then he wouldn't have known so much about the issue.

------------------

Originally posted by daisybean:
aaaaaaawwwwwwwww that is so sweet, and who says there is no hope in the future generations.

NOBODY!!! PEOPLE WHO SAY THAT THERE IS NO HOPE FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS ARE QUITTERS AND WHINERS WHO EVEN IF THERE WASN'T HOPE FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS WOULDN'T DO A DAMN THING BESIDES CALL THEM HOPELESS AND BE
DISAPPOINTED ABOUT IT!!!
mad.gif

Sorry, no offense to you there, but i hate it when peoplecategorize my generation for being lazy or apathetic when a)most of us are not and b) if we are, the people who are whining about it should DO something. so, yea, sorry.

------------------
90% lazy. 10% something else.

Judoooooooo Chop!

Originally posted by Lilly:
NOBODY!!! PEOPLE WHO SAY THAT THERE IS NO HOPE FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS ARE QUITTERS AND WHINERS WHO EVEN IF THERE WASN'T HOPE FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS WOULDN'T DO A DAMN THING BESIDES CALL THEM HOPELESS AND BE
DISAPPOINTED ABOUT IT!!!
mad.gif

Sorry, no offense to you there, but i hate it when peoplecategorize my generation for being lazy or apathetic when a)most of us are not and b) if we are, the people who are whining about it should DO something. so, yea, sorry.

Whoah, easy there, it is just an expression. It's just that people spend so much time focusing on the negative things people (and I just don't mean your generation) do, that it is refreshing to hear something good for a change.
I know what it's like to be labeled "lazy" and a "slacker" just cuz I wore flannel and liked grunge music in High School. But I knew it wasn't true, I worked for everything I had, so I didn't let it bother me. I saw people my own age who were the losers and real slackers, the ones that gave us "Gen-Xer's" a bad name. It made me want to work harder, learn more, be a better person.
I know exactly how you feel, and the best thing to do is to go out and prove the naysayers wrong.
"Don't let the Bastards grind you down"

------------------

Holy crap, Lilly........

Anyway, I think that is really cute and sweet about that kid. I remember once seeing kids on the steps of a church, asking for money. I though, awwww...so sweet...but when I asked what the money was for, they said they were giving it to a guy to buy beer for them. I was pissed.
mad.gif

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

[This message has been edited by Bonochick (edited 02-17-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom