Bono Will Be On Oprah Next Monday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, Oprah was wearing Bono's shades. She said that "the coolest rock star in the world" gave them to her. :love:

pict5309.JPG

pict5311.JPG

pict5312.JPG

pict5313.JPG

pict5314.JPG

pict5315.JPG

pict5316.JPG

pict5317.JPG

Finally done posting these. Enjoy everyone! :wave:

This showing of Oprah really moved me and I am going to read "Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton" bc I think it will give me a better understanding of Apartheid and why Bono has been an activist for AIDS.

As Nelson Mandela once said "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."

I just watched the show today and taped it.

I teared :sad: when Bono was saying how in some years from now, we will look back and say "Why didn't we do something about that,"
Then I realized it's just like the diseases of the past that we have looked back on and mourned and shaken our heads and said, "I wish I could go back in time; I would do something about that," when now we can do something.

I really think about that a lot, yet I don't know what I can do. I am just 15...although that's no excuse, I am really clueless to what I can do...:(

bonocrazy88 said:

I teared :sad: when Bono was saying how in some years from now, we will look back and say "Why didn't we do something about that,"
Then I realized it's just like the diseases of the past that we have looked back on and mourned and shaken our heads and said, "I wish I could go back in time; I would do something about that," when now we can do something.

I really think about that a lot, yet I don't know what I can do. I am just 15...although that's no excuse, I am really clueless to what I can do...:(

Yep. I've been writing letters, and gave a speech in school once, and have the DATA link in a sig on another board I go to so people can click on it and check it out if they're curious...but I want to do so much more. I'm just unsure of what.

But there's a few ideas to start you off with, bonocrazy88, if you haven't done some of this stuff already.

The part of the show that got me in particular was when they were talking about how, in India, women are the ones the hardest hit by the disease right now, and they have to share beds...and how, when a woman is found to have HIV or AIDS, she's immediately a non-person. THAT pissed me off big time...oh, man...:mad:.

I mean...I know that some people aren't fully educated on this issue...but how in the hell can you be that cold-hearted to immediately not recognize someone as a person because they have a disease like this? It's like the way Ryan White was treated here in America. If I were uninformed on the issue of AIDS, I'd much rather risk my life trying to help someone who needed it instead of basically leave them to fend for themselves, to die alone and unloved and not cared for.

By the way, South Africa is such a beautiful country. Wow. It's such a shame that tragic things happen in such beautiful areas like that-the violence in the beautiful country of Ireland, the AIDS & poverty that runs rampant in the beautiful country of South Africa...why?

Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I just want to add that THE reason I get so excited about Bono appearing on a show like this is that my heart bursts w/ pride for him, and I love hearing him talk about this subject.

:yes:. And seeing the concert again tonight made me proud of him again. I'm so glad that there's people who care as much as he does in this world. I loved seeing the pictures of him with the kids while that one guy was singing at the end of "Oprah" today. He's a sweetheart. Plain and simple.

And I love the stills. Thanks for posting them. :).

Angela

bonocrazy88 said:

You just have to keep writting. And tell EVERYONE YOU KNOW b/c people simply don't know about AIDS in Africa and when they find out, they usually want to help.

Here is a letter you can send to any leader:

http://www.calvin.edu/~lar3/letter.doc

And here are some facts you can tell your friends and family:

http://www.calvin.edu/~lar3/factsheet.doc

From cnn.com..

LUSAKA, Zambia (AP) -- American talk show host Oprah Winfrey promised this week to help spread the word about the devastating effects of AIDS in Africa as she visited HIV initiatives in this impoverished southern African country.

"The world is kind, good and wants to help, but it can only help when it understands the disease," Winfrey told reporters in Zambia's capital, Lusaka.

Winfrey, who arrived Thursday, visited two clinics that are leading the way in the prevention of HIV transmission from mother to child.

"The important thing being done is to keep more mothers alive," she said. "Because if more mothers are alive, there will be less orphans in society."

Moses Sinkala, chairman of the Lusaka Urban District Health Management Team, was delighted by her visit.

"We are most honored and thrilled to have Oprah visiting us in person," he said. "This will obviously create greater awareness among our mothers, especially those already infected with HIV."

Sub-Saharan Africa is home to 26.6 million of the between 34 million and 46 million people worldwide living with HIV, according to U.N. figures. An estimated 22 percent of Zambian adults are infected with the disease.

Winfrey, who is accompanied by the U.N. special envoy on HIV/AIDS in Africa, Stephen Lewis, planned to visit more clinics in the resort city of Livingstone on Friday.

Last week, she attended a star-studded concert hosted by former South African President Nelson Mandela in Cape Town to raise funds for the fight against HIV.

"My goal is to empower women and children," she said. "I want women to know that they are also important."

Oprah is on Larry King right now, and she's going to talk about Africa

She said she will have a prime time special w/ Diane Sawyer on Dec 17th about Africa, and a special on the Oprah show on the 22nd

So far she hasn't mentioned Bono, but maybe...:wink:

Last edited:
Lol Mrs Springsteen I just watched Oprah on Larry King too, and I called my mom during it to tell her that I thought forsure she would mention Bono.... she never did mention him tho!
I thought she would because she seems more and more inspired to help the crisis in Africa then ever before, and I think that Bono was part of her inspiration.... do you think?

I think Oprah is definately a Bono fan. I am hoping that *maybe* when the next album comes out she'll have the whole band on would that be too weird U2 on oprah?

Back
Top Bottom