Bono to Speak at N.Y.C. Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Hi PLEBA,

Look what I just found online. It's a GREAT opportunity to see and hear Bono and Prof. Jeffrey Sachs speak on extreme poverty!

Check it out:

http://www.irishecho.com/newspaper/story.cfm?id=16996

Big names for global poverty

Bono, Sachs to talk at New York forum
By Ailbhe Jordan

A world-famous rock star will join forces with a world-famous academic in New York this fall to give an historic lecture about global poverty.

Columbia University professor Jeffrey Sachs and U2 frontman Bono have agreed to host the inaugural Daniel Patrick Moynihan lecture, which will take place on Oct. 5 at the 800-seat Skirball Center for the Performing Arts in New York University.

The Glucksman Ireland House Center for Irish Studies in NYU are organizing the event, which they hope will take place on an annual basis.

The lecture aims to commemorate New York Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan, who died in 2003. Between 1961 and 1976, Moynihan served on the cabinet under presidents John F. Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford.

An influential figure in neoconservativism, Moynihan was famed for his forward-thinking policies. He published several books throughout his career, including "Family and Nation," (1986) and "Secrecy,"(1998), before retiring from the Senate in 2001.

"Patrick Moynihan was a son of New York City," according to Loretta Brannan Glucksman, president of Glucksman Ireland House.

"He was so inclusive in his thoughts and policies. We're reaping the benefits of that today, not only in New York, but throughout the US. Its great that we have two such forward thinking individuals giving the first lecture."

Sachs, whose book "End of World Poverty," became an international bestseller when it was published in March, will deliver the lecture, whilst Bono will introduce his speech.

"Jeffery Sachs seemed like the perfect choice," said Brennan Glucksman.

"He fits in well with Moynihan's forward xlooking legacy. They're cut from the same cloth. Fortunately, he also happens to be very close to Bono. Bono was eager to do it - he really admires Jeffery's work. It was a 10 strike on both counts."

It will not be the first time the pair has collaborated; Bono wrote the introduction to Sachs' book, bringing to bear his experience of highlighting world poverty through global campaigns like Jubilee 2000 and Make Poverty History.

Tickets for the inaugural Daniel Patrick Moynihan lecture go on sale from Sept. 5 and will be available through www.skirballcenter.org. Prices range from $25 - $40. As places are limited and high demand is anticipated, it is advisable to book early.

This story appeared in the issue of August 24 - 30
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This sounds like a wonderful opportunity to see these two in person.

If you're lucky enough to go, just make sure that you're actually listening to what they're saying. ;)

Sometimes it's easy to forget when looking at Bono.

Hope y'all appreciated this heads-up. Only wished that I could be there.

IN THE NAME OF LOVE....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Thankyou Jamila - i cant wait to hear or see what they have to say. I just wish i could be in NY to hear it in person. Does anyone think they may be able to go along?

Jamila, thanks for sharing. :up: I met Sachs at a conference two years ago--nice guy and impressive work he's done over the years.

Honestly, I'd be more excited to hear Sachs. I've heard Bono speak before and while he's amazing, I've always wanted the chance to hear Sachs for myself. Unfortunately, I really shouldn't skip any more class since I already have 5 days planned for concerts and I'll inevitably get sick at some point during the semester. Good luck getting tickets, ladies!

Yes good luck getting tics:) I know that it will be very interesting and inspirational too.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I don't know how accurate it is but this article says that Bono is only introducing, not speaking. Just FYI :)

http://www.irishabroad.com/news/irishinamerica/news/bonolecture-050824.asp

:hmm: good then I don't have to sit through everything....But according to @u2:

Bono will join professor and poverty activist Jeffrey Sachs to host the inaugural Daniel Patrick Moynihan lecture at New York University on October 5. The event will be held in the Skirball Center on NYU's campus. The event, organized by Glucksman Ireland House, is set to honor former US Senator Patrick Moynihan. According to Loretta Brannan Glucksman, president of Glucksman Ireland House, "Jeffery Sachs seemed like the perfect choice. He fits in well with Moynihan's forward xlooking legacy. They're cut from the same cloth. Fortunately, he also happens to be very close to Bono. Bono was eager to do it - he really admires Jeffery's work. It was a 10 strike on both counts."

The original article I posted said that Bono would introduce Jeffrey Sachs.

Given Bono's love of gab, Bono's "introducing" of Prof. Sachs will undoubtedly run into at least 20-30 minutes. :lmao:

At $20 - $40 a ticket, this is cheap for a Bono introduction. Plus you get Prof. Sachs - you can't lose.

I'm just glad that I could post something that y'all liked so much.
:wink:

I'm glad that I've made so many people happy. :wink:

Can someone pm me and pick me up an extra program from that night?

I'll reciprocate and pick you up an extra program from Bono's Philly talk in October. :)

Jamila said:
I'm glad that I've made so many people happy. :wink:

Can someone pm me and pick me up an extra program from that night?

I'll reciprocate and pick you up an extra program from Bono's Philly talk in October. :)

Deal.........:wink:

I've got a ticket!!! It's in the back but I've got a ticket!!!

I am happy that I will be seeing two sides of Bono within three days...the humanitarian side on Wednesday, 10/5, then the rock star on Saturday, 10/8!!! It will be the start of a week and a half of U2-mania, New York style!!

Thank you for your help in my getting a ticket, one4u2 & Jamila! :hug: :hug:

Diane L said:
I've got a ticket!!! It's in the back but I've got a ticket!!!

I am happy that I will be seeing two sides of Bono within three days...the humanitarian side on Wednesday, 10/5, then the rock star on Saturday, 10/8!!! It will be the start of a week and a half of U2-mania, New York style!!

Thank you for your help in my getting a ticket, one4u2 & Jamila! :hug: :hug:

The humanitarian side is great I saw his new york times interview a few years back I just hope he stays for this entire event...Youtwohearts and I will be there together and then MSG Friday and Monday :hyper: :hyper:

caragriff said:

no they do not have a show on the schedule that night. they play oct. 4 in boston, then not until oct. 7 (nyc).
and thanks so much for the heads up on the tix going on sale early--i just saw your post and bought 2.... :)

Oh shoot you're right! :reject: I got it mixed up with the december dates. Thanks for clearing that up. ;)

Back
Top Bottom