Bono to Speak at N.Y.C. Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. I just cannot imagine the thrill of hearing Bono speak. I have tix to a concert, but I'd love to hear him speak, too.

verte76 said:
Wow. I just cannot imagine the thrill of hearing Bono speak. I have tix to a concert, but I'd love to hear him speak, too.

I saw him speak at the New York Times interview a few years ago it was great! Although I don't really think he's speaking he's "introducing" We will give you a full update :wink:

"Wow. I just cannot imagine the thrill of hearing Bono speak. I have tix to a concert, but I'd love to hear him speak, too."

verte, there is truthfully nothing like being in the same room when Bono speaks his heart and soul on the subjects of most interest to him.

When you sit in a room and listen to the cracks in Bono's voice when he speaks of the suffering of Africa's People, you get the real measure of this man.

He's more than a man in shades, he's more than a man in leather pants, he's more than a Rock star.

He is an EXTRAORDINARY HUMAN BEING of which many people will only see a certain side (the public side) of him onstage singing.

But it is when you get him off that stage and speak with him in a more personal setting that you see te full extent of this man.

Bono is much more complex than we give him credit for.:up:

Jamila said:
"Wow. I just cannot imagine the thrill of hearing Bono speak. I have tix to a concert, but I'd love to hear him speak, too."

verte, there is truthfully nothing like being in the same room when Bono speaks his heart and soul on the subjects of most interest to him.

When you sit in a room and listen to the cracks in Bono's voice when he speaks of the suffering of Africa's People, you get the real measure of this man.

He's more than a man in shades, he's more than a man in leather pants, he's more than a Rock star.

He is an EXTRAORDINARY HUMAN BEING of which many people will only see a certain side (the public side) of him onstage singing.

But it is when you get him off that stage and speak with him in a more personal setting that you see te full extent of this man.

Bono is much more complex than we give him credit for.:up:

This is completely true! If people don't like Bono, that's fine with me, but I can't stand it when people say he's not genuine. Of course, when he's on primetime TV trying to appeal to the biggest segment possible, he can be a bit generic at times.

However, I've had the pleasure of sitting basically in the front, hearing him speak twice, and it's much MUCH different. The first time I heard him speak, he told the story of when he was in Ethiopia and one of the poor men had brought him his only child b/c he knew he couldn't provide enough food for the child to live. He was saying how he had to turn the father away and couldn't take the child....it was really very sad b/c you could see the sadness and anger in his eyes (yes, this was a rare occurance of him speaking WITHOUT the shades!). I remember he kind of pounded his fist on the podium and said, "never again."

Also, the second time I heard him speak, it was his last time with the group he'd been with and at the end, the dance/drama/singing group of kids from Ghana had prepared a special song to sing to Bono as a surprise. They were singing him the song and he was holding the youngest in the group, Dominique, who was only 4 at the time, while she was singing to him. You could see he was trying not to cry....it was so cute!

Okay ladies. I really shouldn't be on this site at work. But what can I say... I'm ready to :combust: and I know PLEBA girls will understand.

I'm super psyched for tomorrow night's event. But my friend can't make it and I have an extra ticket. Is anyone on this board ticket-less and able to make it? $40 face. Please email me ASAP at michelleontheair @ hotmail.com if you can make it. It starts at 6pm sharp, I plan on leaving work a little early and heading there as soon as possible.

Do any of you think that any of the boys would accompany Bono for support?

mmmAdam yum yum

mishka
OUT OF CONTROL
... in the City of Blinding Lights

I go to Columbia, where Jeffrey Sachs teaches. I'm thinking about taking his course in sustainable development next year-- heard it's a ton of work, but it'll probably be worth it for the fact alone that I'll have a professor who is a good friend of Bono. :cute:

Hi Pleba girls! I'm back and just copy/pasting my post from the U2GTA tonight was phenomenal!

Shout out to the Plebans in front of me whom I remembered from SNL last year :)

I'm home and to be honest I'm not really sure how I got here, I mean yes walked/subway... but really... floated... ON SUCH A HIGH! And how awesome to have met Antoinette (who totally rocks btw) and shared the whole experience with another U2 die-hard.

Okay, so I'm sure the speech will be released and I'm so tired all I can say is that it was an unbelievable evening, I'm still humbled that I was even in the room... side orchestra from the stage! Direct eye-line to Edge and Mr. McGuinness.

HIGHLIGHTS
* shook Edge's hand and thanked him again for Toronto (he was so cute sitting center stage in his beanie... God he's got great skin lol)
* close enough to hear Bono's wonderful laughter and gorgeous Irish lilt as he walked by the fans signing stuff before going into the hall.
* listening... no... being captivated by the man himself. I mean yes, I've heard many of the phrasings before from concerts, articles, etc. But to be in such a unique venue, not a concert hall, but a lecture hall of NYU. Small, intimate, dignitaries, students, economists, ... and the rockstars. One particular one with the biggest damn heart. Okay I'm rambling but like I said it was my first of these types of experiences watching Bono feeling so proud of him lol, he's up there in his jeans, he's so cute with a little hat head lol, and reading off his page. And OMG he had everybody laughing their asses off. He had everyone in the palm of his hand. He's f'ing hilarious!!! I mean I guess I always knew Bono had a sense of humour... but actually witnessing his craft of getting the audience on his side, laughing, self-deprecating, humbled, down-to-earth and genuine. He is so damned funny I love this man! He deftly took the crowd into the heart of Africa's need and they never had a chance. He had so many great Bono-isms it was so cute when he referred to himself as a "Jeff Sachs Groupie" and ran through owning all his books/published works as if they were albums of a rockstar.

Anyway this is getting long but I can't tell you how moving it was. And I guess now you could say I'm a Jeff Sachs groupie too because this man rocks. I'm buying his latest book this weekend. As Bono put it, one of the things he loves about America is the attitude to 'stick the finger to fate'... that yes it CAN be done... we CAN help eradicate stupid, extreme poverty.

As a Canadian I'm mad as hell that my Prime Minister hasn't delivered on the 0.7%... not that this is my soap-box but I truly hope that we all make our votes count in our respective countries for our so-called representatives to get off their asses.

Moving, inspiring, motivating...

And then they gave Bono & Sachs purple/white NYU football jackets as a thank-you memento! LOL OMG Bono looked so cute in his jacket! Like a high-school football player there with his tight jeans lol.

I brought my little ONE makepovertyhistory.ca banner. Towards the end I don't know what got into me but I stood up and shouted "Bono God Bless you for all you do!" or something to that effect... I mean this is one busy-world-saving-sexy-mofo ya know? He looked my way but was blinded by the spotlight... then suddently an NBC camera is in my face lol... who knows maybe I'll make the 11 o'clock news.

mishka
OUT OF CONTROL
... in the City of Blinding Lights

Hey Kellyahern :wave:

lol yeah I figured while I'm still high as a freaking kite. Yes they did allow pictures! Though mine will sadly come out quite badly I'm sure seeing as it was a disposable but the two Pleba girls in front of me I think were getting good shots (sorry I didn't get their real names). So I'd love to see their pics!

When I went up to introduce myself to Edge (the poor man must be getting sick of me, lol... three times in Toronto!) I asked if I may have a photo but he declined politely and that was cool, I certainly didn't want to intrude. Though you could see people sitting in rows in front of him turning around and shoving cameras in his face. He's so sweet though, really zen. My friend Jessica in Toronto would've DIED.

Oh and some people were asking me guess I forgot to mention, I didn't have a watch on but it felt like Bono spoke for a good half hour and yes he did sit down with the rest of the panel through the end.

Also afterwards saw Edge go back to his car, he waved and got in. And then around 8:30 I guess Bono came out and got in his truck. Alot of the crowd though mobbed it when it was stuck at a red light and that really pisses me off. Also, venue security moved people from off the street in front of fans that had lined up so that wasn't too fair to them :(

All in all though... experiences like this have made my move to New York worth it!

:)

mishka
OUT OF CONTROL

michelleontheair said:
Hey Kellyahern :wave:

lol yeah I figured while I'm still high as a freaking kite. Yes they did allow pictures! Though mine will sadly come out quite badly I'm sure seeing as it was a disposable but the two Pleba girls in front of me I think were getting good shots (sorry I didn't get their real names). So I'd love to see their pics!

:wave:

That was me and youtwohearts!

Here's my story!

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=142099

one4u2 said:

Hey!!

I was just on the 11 o'clock Channel 4 NBC News!!! They did a plug before commercial and showed a shot of Bono in the NYU jacket I told you guys about ... and then BAM!!! A shot of me holding my ONE banner and my buddy Antoinette!!!

OH YEAH baby, this week's off to a good start!!

mishka
OUT OF CONTROL

Man, I'm so jealous that you guys got to go to this. I'd really like to hear Bono speak at something like this sometime, but he always seems to do it on the East Coast. :( Oh well, maybe someday! Thanks to everyone for sharing your awesome reports!

michelleontheair said:

Hey!!

I was just on the 11 o'clock Channel 4 NBC News!!! They did a plug before commercial and showed a shot of Bono in the NYU jacket I told you guys about ... and then BAM!!! A shot of me holding my ONE banner and my buddy Antoinette!!!

OH YEAH baby, this week's off to a good start!!

mishka
OUT OF CONTROL

I must've been on too I was right in front of you :shifty:

Back
Top Bottom