Bono the Graduate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i love the way his chest shows through the little hole in the top of the giwn! thats so adorable. and his ears! for some reason i just want to bite his ear lobes. :ohmy: having bad thoughts. i think his little foot insecurity is cute too. something to tease him about to see him get that cute embarrased look. in those pictures you can tell that he knows everybody thinks hes like a god. hes so smug and cocky. he wears it well.:wink:

Here's this one w/ out the watermark, in case it hasn't already been posted

bono.jpg

Originally posted by TheBrazilianFly

I wish he could start using his boots again like in the 80's. Like the ones from JT and R&H!!! Cowboy boots are awesome for rock stars!!!! But I guess those must be more confortable for him or just more fashionable or whatever....

I agree. I LOVED him in boots in the 80's and AB era. I didn't like it when he switched to these. He walked, strutted and moved on stage so sexy with boots. He's still sexy, but to me he was sexier in the boots because the way they made him walk and stand was so hot. Wearing this kind of shoe changes everything about his walk, and movements to me. They've taken away a bit of his swagger, all of his strut and a little bit of his sex appeal. But like you say they are probably more comfortable.

Last edited:
Speaking as a person 10 years older than Bono, I can assure you anything with heels probably kills his knees at this point in time. But he's looking good!! Wish he'd been the speaker at the graduation I attended this weekend!:(

U2Kitten said:

I agree. I LOVED him in boots in the 80's and AB era. I didn't like it when he switched to these. He walked, strutted and moved on stage so sexy with boots. He's still sexy, but to me he was sexier in the boots because the way they made him walk and stand was so hot. Wearing this kind of shoe changes everything about his walk, and movements to me. They've taken away a bit of his swagger, all of his strut and a little bit of his sex appeal. But like you say they are probably more comfortable.

:yes: I agree but you say sexy and hot I say cool and awesomel. :cool: Look ---> I agree. I LOVED him in boots in the 80's and AB era. I didn't like it when he switched to these. He walked, strutted and moved on stage so cool with boots. He's still cool, but to me he was cooler in the boots because the way they made him walk and stand was so awesome. Wearing this kind of shoe changes everything about his walk, and movements to me. They've taken away a bit of his swagger, all of his strut and a little bit of his cool appeal. But like you say they are probably more comfortable. :D

Yeah :up: ;)

The way he walks in these, combined with his smile and expressions in some of these recent pics make him appear more impish. He's cute and still magnetic, but I miss the sexy rock star strut. But I do understand if boots hurt his feet :sigh:

Bono's also sprained his ankle at least once. As a victim of multiple ankle sprains :censored: :censored: I can tell you it really makes a difference what kind of shoes you wear as far as your feet are concerned. I couldn't wear heels if I wanted to.

So, I staying at my parents house right now (because of the exams) blahblahblah - Long story short, my dad brought home the free newspaper we have here in Copenhagen ("Urban"), and I thought "Ok, let's have a break and a quick look through the paper" :shrug: ... but as I open the paper I was :shocked: 'cause what's on the first page?! This pic:

souLnation2002 said:

With the following text underneath:
"Doktor Bono: Bono, der engang var mest kendt som forsanger for U2, blev ig?r udn?vnt til ?resdoktor p? University of Pennsylvaina i Philadelphia, USA. ?ren tilfalder Bono, som en p?sk?nnelse af hans kamp mod AIDS og fattigdom i Afrika - og som den stilfulde rocksanger, han er, modtog Bono selvf?lgelig doktorgraden if?rt bl? solbriller, der matchede kappen p? hans nye uniform."

(I tried to scan it, but it looked terrible, so...)

The text translates into something like: "Doctor Bono: Bono, who was once more known as the lead singer of U2, was yesterday rewarded with an honorary doctorate of University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, USA. The honor was assigned to Bono as an appreciation of his fight against AIDS and poverty in Africa - and as the stylish rock singer that he is, Bono recieved the doctorate wearing blue shades that matched the gown and his new uniform"

I was :hyper: 'cause this has never ever happend before - "Bono-news" in any Danish paper is really, really rare... Last time Bono (or any of the guys) was in our papers was in 2001 when the Elevation tour hit the country, so...

Thanks for the pics everyone - he is *really* looking good in these... and yep, the JT look is back to stay :hyper: :dance: *Yes, there is a God* :wink:

... and one last thing:

CONGRATULATIONS BONO - You deserve it! :applaud:

Last edited:
Moonlit_Angel said:
Wow, this is really bringing back memories of my high school graduation

Yeah, I thought exactly the same - but this is one of the few times I wish I was American :sigh: You get these fantastic uniforms, you hear (more or less :wink: ) famous speakers at your graduation and you get nice looking diplomas... When I graduated from high school it was of course a very festive day, everyopne was extremely happy, we had a great party and a fantastic day that I will never forget ect... but wauh, that uniform - it would've been nice to have one of those! :D Here is the hat we get in Denmark instead:
studenterhue.jpg

The colour of the ribbon depends on what kind of high school you went to - mine looks just like this... :yes:

Last edited:
Rachel D. said:

Hmm... I wonder what that lady behind him is thinking about?

Not sure about her, but if it were me, I would be just be wondering how I got to the point in my life where I would be standing behind Bono. Not to mention just enjoying the view. :combust:

Well girls I wouldn't say he earned it, it is only an honorary degree. But it's still cool and so is he!

Wild Angel said:
Well girls I wouldn't say he earned it, it is only an honorary degree. But it's still cool and so is he!

The thing is that people earn honorary degrees by their deeds, contributions to the arts, science, society etc.

They don't just give them to anyone.

I agree Rose, they dont give that degree to just anyone. Bono has put in effortless time to do what hes doing for Africa. What a man he is!!!

kellyahern said:

I thought that was cute, that woman kept bouncing up and down with that sign. There were 4 girls there that had blue balloons that spelled out Bono. When they came around to be seating they screamed out "we seen bono!"

yes the graduates were really excited having Bono there. They got a rock and roll star who is also helping the world right in front of them. yes I can say they were excited!!!

Last edited:
Merc said:
Yeah, I thought exactly the same - but this is one of the few times I wish I was American :sigh: You get these fantastic uniforms, you hear (more or less :wink: ) famous speakers at your graduation and you get nice looking diplomas...

LOL, yeah. Granted, it's the college graduations where the famous speakers tend to go, not the high school ones (the class valedictorians speak at those and stuff), and while I did get a diploma from high school, it wasn't rolled up like the one Bono's got (still was nice, though).

So what all do you get at your graduations, aside from the hat you show me?

Originally posted by Merc
When I graduated from high school it was of course a very festive day, everyopne was extremely happy, we had a great party and a fantastic day that I will never forget ect... but wauh, that uniform - it would've been nice to have one of those! :D Here is the hat we get in Denmark instead:
studenterhue.jpg

The colour of the ribbon depends on what kind of high school you went to - mine looks just like this... :yes:

Neat. :).

And yeah, the gown and all that is nice...unless it's really warm outside, which it was the day I graduated. Oh, it was a nice day-sun shined all day long and all that-but it was really warm, and so those gowns got a little uncomfortable after a while (didn't help that we had our ceremony in the gym, which apparently has never been equipped with air conditioning).

Also, I definitely agree with you about the JT era look (hehe, "there is a God", indeed...:yes: :D).

And yes, congrats to Bono for that diploma, too. He definitely deserved it. :up:.

Angela

u2philly said:

I thought that was cute, that woman kept bouncing up and down with that sign. There were 4 girls there that had blue balloons that spelled out Bono. When they came around to be seating they screamed out "we seen bono!"

yes the graduates were really excited having Bono there. They got a rock and roll star who is also helping the world right in front of them. yes I can say they were excited!!!

I'm so glad to hear they appreciated how lucky they were to have him! :yes:

That's interesting about the different uniforms because our cap and gown originated in medieval European universities. When I graduated there were jokes that I was wearing the right thing as my degree is in medieval history and I'm active in medieval re-enactment. :laugh: :laugh:

Moonlit_Angel said:
So what all do you get at your graduations, aside from the hat you show me?

In high school? Actually we really don't "get" anything... We buy the hat ourselves and you can buy T-shirts, sweatshirt ect. with this text on: "Student anno 2001" (<--- the year you graduate from High School) in colours matching the ribbon on your hat (or the colour of your hat - we have different kind of high schools and every kind has their own ribbon-colour plus the hat can be black or white. :yes: The black hat is the first and "original" model from the 1870's, but almost no one ever buys that anymore - the white model became the "real" students hat around 1900).
Besides the hat and the shirt we of course get our diploma, but it isn't decorated or anything like that. It's just a white piece of paper - a list of all your subjects, the levels of the subjects you've had, and your final grades... And the head masters signature of course! :D
At the graduation day there is a ceremoni at the school where the head master gives a speach, you sing a few songs and everyone gets on stage and get their diploma from the head master. After the ceremoni is over the fun part begins! :wink: ... and there are *so* many traditions included in this :yes: You drive around to all the parents and around the entire town on a truck (stading on the back of the truck) and the truck is decorated with signs, ballons, flowers ect. The tradition says, you have to go to a certain place in the town you live in - here in Copenhagen it's "Kongens Nytorv", one of the central squares, and dance around a statue :huh: ... And depending on what you do during the graduation day, you have to do certain things to your hat... Crazy :coocoo: but fun! :D

When I grauate from the university?! A diploma (again a boring piece of white paper, only with the grades on...), a hand shake from the head master, a speach given by a totally unknown person from some company, the health board, whatever and... :hmm: nothing else, I guess... If anything exciting happens, I'll let you know in 2 years time :sexywink:

kellyahern said:
I'm watching the webcast now - what a great, funny, meaningful, inspiring speech :heart:

and major Bono fuzzies for him mentioning Kermit the Frog giving a commencement speech a few years back :lol:

I :heart: Bono! :bow::applaud:

Wow, this was great!! It took 2.5hours to download but it was well worth it.

How funny is he? God he is such a card!!!

ramblin rose said:

It took 2.5hours to download but it was well worth it.

:shocked:

:hug:

I watched it yesterday. I forgot how much I miss Bono being interviewed and speaking and all of that until I watched him on CNN the other night and then his speech yesterday.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom