Bono sang HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

celia

New Yorker
I've had years of reading stories about how everybody has met U2 and in particular Bono but this morning I found out that U2 were playing at the Riverside Studios in London for a CD:UK performance, so I thought OK this may be my chance to catch a site of U2 even from a distance, cos I knew I didnt have a chance of getting inside the studio because I didnt get a ticket and even some people that got tickets couldnt get in because they give out too many!!!

So anyway, I waited outside from about 11.30am, met a few other U2 fans along the way and about 4.45pm all of U2 drove in, but they went right to the back of the studio and I only got a view of the edge and bono. Then they went in the studio, so at this point I was freezing cold and thought OK they are in the studio, time to get something to eat and drink.

So came back to the studio at 7pm and there were a few people hanging around the side exit (and I have to say some REALLY annoying idiots who follow famous people around just to take pictures and autographs only to sell them on!!! They didn't care about the U2 fans at all and I was getting so fed up I nearly left - but than god I didnt!) Got to hear Vertigo from outside and a couple of other songs as well, which was great!

So at about 8pm after watching the cars and all the equipment being brought out Adam was first out!!! Got his autograph and he was lovely and stopped for the first few ppl!!! :)

Then 2nd out was Edge (Large scream of EDGE from all the people waiting) Got his autograph just in time becaus ehe nearly went past me but I held my bit of paper out and he saw me and signed it ;)

Then 3rd out Larry walked past everyone as if he was just taking a walk along the street hardly noticing anyone, which made me smile!!!

And then Bono came out!!! - The annoying girl next to me who didnt even like U2 shouted out that she had been waiting all day to see him so he came ove to her 1st pffft!! Then anyway I was trying to take some pictures but my camera was playing up and then he came over to me and I said:

"Hi Bono, its my 21st birthday tomorrow, could you please sign Happy Birthday to me on here, and he looked at me in the eyes and said can I SING you happy Birthday.... and then he put his cheek against mine and started singing 'Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you' right in my ear!!! and then we kissed cheeks and I laughed cos everybody suddenly went Awwwwwwww"

and then I kind of just was in shock!!! Bono sang HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!! but I managed to get one good picture of bono which I will try to upload sometime tomorrow.

I was really lucky because after than he only signed for about 3 more people and then got rushed off!!! One persom shoutd out "I love your shoes Bono" and he said "thats SHOE BUSINESS!!!" lol

But I really can't believe it!!! What a great way to remember my 21st birthday I never in my dreams thought this would happen!!!

:heart:

Last edited:
Wow, what a lovely story! Good for you for sticking it out despite the bad weather and the pushy non-fans. Can't wait to see your picture. Well done!!:wave:

Same thing happened to me EXCEPT: He didn't sing or kiss me and it wasn't my 21st birthday add about 10 years to that number. :yes:

haha Good for you as well!! I couldn't believe it when he started half singing half whispering it it my ear - he was sooo close it kind of tickled!! I really cannot believe this happened today of all days!! what luck! :heart:

:bono: :hug:

Celia, the women of PLEBA have a burning question. What did he smell like, cologne-wise? Be advised, I'm just passing along their query; I'm not really interested myself.:wink:

I really don't know how to describe it - he did smell lovely but I was so taken aback when he put his face so close to mine and started singing in my ear (cos I thought he was just going to sign my paper and walk on), that I just mainly remember the feel of his cheek and stubble and my ear feeling tickled. :cute:

I can still hear his voice in my ear :drool:

Last edited:
Yes. I guess some want to know which perfume he wears. It's not my case, really. Since I can't be in person with him, I don't really care about anything else. :grumpy:
Celia, I don't know what to say yet. I think I will read your post again, maybe some question comes up.

"thats SHOE BUSINESS!!!"
:laugh:
That's it. That's B-man. He's sexy, he's nice, he's sensitive and he's funny.

he looked at me in the eyes and said can I SING you happy Birthday.... and then he put his cheek against mine and started singing 'Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you' right in my ear!!!
There was someone asking if "we" think Bono is like any other star.
I think this gives a clue.

I can't wait for that picture!

That's so awesome for you! Happy Birthday :) You can't ask for a better birthday present!

What a sweetheart *sigh*

:) Happy Birthday Celia! :)
Awwww, that was super sweet of Bono. Just goes to show how a simple gesture can mean the world to a person. Those are always the most :heart: felt.
Can't wait to see the picture of you two! :D

THAT is so sweet! You will be scarred for the rest of your life now, honey. Nobody will add up to Bono!
What a birthday present huh?
*Imagines bono close enough to feel his stubble*
*guh*:drool:
I am in serious jealous mode.
you deserved it for staying out so long to see him though :hug: happy birthday!
wish me luck, me and karmic will be seeing Bono on wednesday...mabye well get lucky :ohmy:
its my 19th birthday on new years day! does that count? do you think he'll sing new years day to me?:D

celia said:
I've "Hi Bono, its my 21st birthday tomorrow, could you please sign Happy Birthday to me on here, and he looked at me in the eyes and said can I SING you happy Birthday.... and then he put his cheek against mine and started singing 'Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you' right in my ear!!! and then we kissed cheeks and I laughed cos everybody suddenly went Awwwwwwww"

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would have passed out.

Awwwwww congrats Celia! Fingers crossed that I can be at a show on my birthday and be as lucky as you! I don't think I could stoop to lying to make it happen, much as I would give practically ANYTHING to have him sing in *my* ear! :combust:

:lol: u2granny- er - i mean nanavancouver:huh:
for some reason i knew you would be the type to go way overboard for your 21st!:D
if i had to choose between bono coming within a mile of me and slugging back some jager- i think i would go with bono.

so celia, have you had any weird flashbacks? :D blanking out and coming back, swearing you were just with bono again?
the man can drive us nuts!

Congrats Celia, that's lovely! What a bonus!! Suitably jealous.

Happy birthday, by the way. :wink:

Cheers ~Ultra

Oh My God I only had about 2hrs sleep, and I still cannot believe yesterday happened! I can't stop smiling or just sitting there like
:ohmy:

Thanks for all the birthday wishes everyone. Its actually quite funny cos on the Friday people at work got me a cake and I had to make a wish when I blew out the candle and I wished that I'd get to see U2 soon....bloody hell that wish came true rather speedy!!! So you all know what to wish for on your next birthday right girls! ;)

I've got 3 pictures of Bono, really gutted I didn't have the time to get one of the both of us (was in to much of a state of shock) but one of the pictures is just gorgeous of bono close looking up when someone shouted out Hi Mr Bono from standing on the wall. :lol: I shall try and figure out a way to get the 3 pics on here today, but if I cant do it today it'll have to be next weekend, cos I live somewhere else when Im working during the week & have no internet.

+ Delvin I'd love to do a right up, I'll try and put something together soon.

Glad you enjoyed my story and remember....
Birthday wishes seem to come true!!! :happy:

Congrats on your very special birthday - what a day! :D

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Fantastic!!

The best sort of present you got him for your 21st!!:wink:
(I got him for my 40th!!)lol!!:wink:

I am so pleased that you have posted this as I thought that they were in the studios LIVE next Saturday so its a pre recorded performance I was just about to book train tickets!!! That would have been a wasted journey!!

It blows me away at how Bono can reach so many people like he does. It changes lives and makes people so happy!
He just seems to go the extra step to treat his fans well. I mean like instead of just signing something he might do a self portait or
write an actual greeting.
or instead of just stopping to say hi to someone he will *ahem* sing to them!
or give then a big kiss
or hug.
hes amazing:drool:

Back
Top Bottom