Bono on Frontline 5/31/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bono Mot

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Sorry if this is a repeat that's posted already, I did a quick run through but didn't see it....

Frontline "The Age of AIDS" (episode: #2413) Wednesday, May. 31, 2006 9:00 PM. PBS. Conclusion of "The Age of AIDS." Included: Dr. David Ho and his work on an AIDS drug "cocktail." Also: the efforts of Rev. Franklin Graham; Bono's activism; the disease's impact in South Africa and Brazil."

Episode 1 is on Tuesday, May 30, 9:00. Times are for the East Coast -- I couldn't check PBS' actual Frontline site for more info., as it was down. :mad:

It's a news program on Public Television here. Current events, etc.

So Bono will be on only the Wed. evening show? I'd love to watch it all but I work Tues eves, I'm off Wed. so at least I could see that one. I always am at work when good things are on TV. :(

Bono Mot said:
Sorry if this is a repeat that's posted already, I did a quick run through but didn't see it....

Frontline "The Age of AIDS" (episode: #2413) Wednesday, May. 31, 2006 9:00 PM. PBS. Conclusion of "The Age of AIDS." Included: Dr. David Ho and his work on an AIDS drug "cocktail." Also: the efforts of Rev. Franklin Graham; Bono's activism; the disease's impact in South Africa and Brazil."

Episode 1 is on Tuesday, May 30, 9:00. Times are for the East Coast -- I couldn't check PBS' actual Frontline site for more info., as it was down. :mad:

"Frontline" is an excellent news program on PBS and carries a lot of very good programming lately on Global AIDS and extreme poverty.

I think this is a new program.

Thanks for the reminder. :wink:

"Frontline" is not a new program

but this edition of Frontline couldn't be 23 years old (1983) as LivLuv is insinuating

because Bono and Franklin Graham weren't doing AIDS work back then.:ohmy:

Please if you're going to try to make me look silly then don't end up making yourself look even sillier. :lmao:

Bono Mot said:

THANKYOU for the heads up! I've watched Frontline in the past now and then. They do a really good job, very thorough on their subjects. So I'm sure this one will be excellent too.
Thanks again! I'm taping this one. :dancing:

Jamila said:

but this edition of Frontline couldn't be 23 years old (1983) as LivLuv is insinuating

Please if you're going to try to make me look silly then don't end up making yourself look even sillier. :lmao:

:huh: wow. Is everything a conspiracy theory to you?

Uh, you said "program", not "edition". My bad....I guess? The program started in 1983 :shrug: Been watching PBS with Gramps since about that time. How silly! :lmao:

:bump:

Just a friendly reminder for anybody who is interested that Part 1 airs tonight and Part 2 (apparently with some stuff about Bono) airs tommorow night.

:)

Jamila said:

:| She was saying Frontline has been on for 23 years not the edition, for god's sakes. :huh:

Last edited:
U2Girl1978 said:

:| She was saying Frontline has been on for 23 years not the edition, for god's sakes. :huh:

as you can see in the dates above the post, they aren't recent...
so can we please cut the drama in here and leave each other alone a little bit?

Bono Mot said:
:bump:

Just a friendly reminder for anybody who is interested that Part 1 airs tonight and Part 2 (apparently with some stuff about Bono) airs tommorow night.

:)

Oooh thanks Mot, I'd forgotten! :)

The first part of the program has aired, and it was very informative. I learned quite a few things I didn't already know. And this first part did feature a few seconds of Bono talking during a sort of montage of people speaking about AIDS at the very beginning of the program.

The PBS website has a profile of Bono and a text interview with him, and a couple of other links and things, which can be viewed here:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/aids/interviews/bono.html

I haven't read it yet, as I suspect it might be (at least partially) a transcript of what's to come in the second half of the program tomorrow night. I'll wait and look it over after it airs.

For those that can't watch the program, it will be streamed on the website, starting Friday evening, at this page:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/aids/view/

There's a link to a PDF file containing correspondence between Bono and Helms. Pretty awesome, historical stuff. Everyone should check it out.

I sure was glad that I saw Part 1 of this show. Like DreamOut Loud13 said, I learned a lot of things that I was not informed of also.
If you can try to catch the second Part, just not so see Bono, but to be aware of what really is going on with this horrilbe disease.

This really hits home to me for I had a cousin, who I was very very close to, die from Aids 13 years ago. I sure do miss him. :sad:

i thoroughly enjoyed the first part of Frontline. it was actually a little on the "eerie" side, because I remember seeing a lot of the news footage that at times was used in the program.
it was so informative. just plain great. look forward to tonight's episode.

Being from N.C., I have to say I'm quite intrigued to see the Jesse Helms part.

Thanks,I forgot about last night's episode,but will try and catch the one tonight.:)

Just watched Part II tonight. The part of Reverend Graham, talking about Jesse Helms, and how Bono came into the picture and made such a huge difference, which lead to changes in Aids policies and funding was very impressive.
This little man from Dublin sure knows how to bring about BIG changes. You could see how Rev. Graham was impressed with Bono's faith, hid convictions and knowledge of the Bible. How he used his faith in influencing J. Helms.
The whole episode was very touching. It was amazing to see how different nations responded to the Aids crisis too. South Africa's president Mbeko reaction to the problem was deplorable. :mad: as were others, China, USSR, and our own USA.

I agree with the point Bono made towards the end of the program. Funding and meds are now being supplied to more people, but funding needs to continue, or people will stop getting these anti-retroviral drugs in the future (2008), since the house has cut back the aid packet.
Hopefully we can be voice to make sure that doesn't happen. He is so inspiring. :heart:

I had posted the links to frontline, but then noticed someone already posted them earlier. (thanks Dreamoutloud!)
Check them out, you should be able to watch the show as of friday 5pm eastern time.
The show is about 4 hrs long, and bono appears towards the end of the 3rd hour. He's on about 10+-min. max. as also a very short snippet close to the end.

Last edited:
thanks for the links girls :up:

and "thankyou", a big "dank u" for the headss-up. :hug:

I'll definately try to watch it on the site, (well at least the Bono part if it's possible to ff) I don't think I could watch a 4 hour program on the 'puter :huh:

Thanks for the links to the article (prints out all 10 pages!:wink: ) and to the web broadcast. :up: It'll be about mid-night here when it starts!?! :crack: I'm not sure whether I'll be able to stay up that late after a hard days work!?! :yawn:

Back
Top Bottom