Bono Named Spiritual Hero Of The Year!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

one4u2

ONE love, blood, life
Recognizing his ability to balance being a rock star with tackling world poverty issues, Science of Mind magazine has named Bono their 2005 Spritual Hero of the Year.

In the featured article, writer Mitch Horowitz examines how Bono "bridges the gap between faith and power" and succeeds in both areas. The article appears in the January edition of the magazine.

http://www.scienceofmind.com/site/magazine/feature_01.html

There's been a number of threads on this already, namely....

http://forum.interference.com/t150635.html

I'll just copy and paste my response...

[agreeing with someone that Bono as a spiritual "hero" might be a bit much] I've read the Conversations book and pretty much every piece on Bono available in English and I've always thought found his religiosity, or at least that which he chooses to express publicly, a little shallow. Not shallow in the negative sense, but shallow in that I can't really find anything he says that gives me a hint towards his personal convictions and theology. I'm sure it's there, and I completely respect his choice not to share that with the world, and I have no expectation that he would, but a "hero" is someone who REALLY goes out on a limb, so to speak, and spiritually/religiously/theologically, Bono doesn't. He's made some well published statements like 'religion is when God leaves the building' (not a direct quote there, but he's said something to that effect numerous times), but even a statement like that that might sound radical is really one of the points of the entire Protestant Reformation, so nothing new. I sometimes wish Bono would go into a bit more detail regarding his personal faith, especially coming from two theologically irreconcilable backgrounds (Catholicism and Protestantism), but like I said, it's his choice not to and I respect him for that. I just hope he doesn't feel like he needs to keep his mouth shut in order to maintain a wider audience or not piss anyone off.

I hope the magazine didn't choose Bono in an effort to appeal to a wider audience of their own.

hooray for Bono :applaud:

I've never heard of an award like "Spiritual Hero of the Year" :hmm:

nonetheless, many congrats to Bono, he deserves it :yes:

Back
Top Bottom