BONO ......moved to tears?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rythemwire

The Fly
I went to au2.com and I saw that the diary that will be airing on aug.22 had a couple of senes where B-man cried due to the experince and pain of what he was going through on hie recent trip to Africa:( I was shocked to read that even though Bono is a very emotional man.He is truley a Prophet sent from God in my view:angel: .It will be on Mtv at 10:30 pm.He is my hero and what good deeds should look like:yes:Maybe if the goverment guys see this special they will actually drop the dept and not just feel good taking about it without taking actions cause you need a remady before you ease the pain not just a worded out plan. But Bono will do it "With or Without you".:bono: :heart: :angel:

I read that, too. I actually read about one of the incidents when he and Paul O'Neill were in Africa. The guy is indeed a gem and a gift from God. I can't wait for this show!

rythemwire said:
I went to au2.com and I saw that the diary that will be airing on aug.22 had a couple of senes where B-man cried due to the experince and pain of what he was going through on hie recent trip to Africa:( I was shocked to read that even though Bono is a very emotional man.He is truley a Prophet sent from God in my view:angel: .It will be on Mtv at 10:30 pm.He is my hero and what good deeds should look like:yes:Maybe if the goverment guys see this special they will actually drop the dept and not just feel good taking about it without taking actions cause you need a remady before you ease the pain not just a worded out plan. But Bono will do it "With or Without you".:bono: :heart: :angel:

Bono cried because of the children he saw dying of AIDS in Africa. When I learned about AIDS at 7, I thought of the possibility of me someday actually finding the cure for it, or at least playing a major role in its R & D. It seems more realistic to me now that I'm older and have a better understanding of the disease. I'm only 15 and am not certain of what the future holds for me, but if I'm not beaten to it, if there's nothing to stop me from doing it, I want to find the cure for AIDS, and, after reading about how Bono felt about this, I'm more determined than ever to work toward this.

Shine * Like* Stars* said:
Aww, that's so sweet.

To tell you the truth, I think my real motives are less than sweet, more like selfish. I want fame, respect, and wealth. I want to never die, even if I live only as a memory. I want to meet Bono and to be in his good graces before I even say a word to him. I want to prove myself to anyone who ever thought I'd amount to nothing, or that I'm a waste of time, effort, and resources, or thought little of me. So instead of really wanting to make a difference in the world, I want to change the way I feel about myself. The only way I can see that'll take me all these places is to achieve a major breakthrough, medical or otherwise. This is rather ignoble of me, really, but I think I can redeem myself from what drives me if I save millions of lives with what I do.

Last edited:
Queen Betty said:

To tell you the truth, I think my real motives are less than sweet, more like selfish. I want fame, respect, and wealth. I want to never die, even if I live only as a memory. I want to meet Bono and to be in his good graces before I even say a word to him. I want to prove myself to anyone who ever thought I'd amount to nothing, or that I'm a waste of time, effort, and resources, or thought little of me. So instead of really wanting to make a difference in the world, I want to change the way I feel about myself. The only way I can see that'll take me all these places is to achieve a major breakthrough, medical or otherwise. This is rather ignoble of me, really, but I think I can redeem myself from what drives me if I save millions of lives with what I do.

QB -- You seem to be very mature for your age. Not just by your aspirations, but by your willingness to acknowledge and admit to your own character flaws.

Sarah McLachlan has always said that, even though her songs may inspire and be a comfort to other people, the actual reasons she writes her music, and the act of doing so, are actually quite selfish. Songwriting serves as a sort of emotional release for her. But she is indeed happy that it is for others as well.

I think that a lot of things we do in life are more selfish than we realize. Even the act of doing something for someone else, we often do it because it makes us feel like we are worth something, because we've done something positive with ourselves. We see the smile on someone else's face as a self-affirmation in a way. Or when we have children -- What is the main motivation for that? Because we want to experience the unconditional love that a child feels for a parent, or because we want to create a productive member of society?

But I digress.

Really, QB -- I think that it's perfectly OK that you want the fame and recognition for your achievements. It seems to me that you're just looking for approval. Especially from people you look up to -- like Bono. I think you just want to know that you're doing the right thing with your life, that you're being the best that you can be. And that's okay. That's totally normal. We all want that to some degree.

And we all most definitely need a sense of self-worth. Without that, most people would have little desire to live. But just don't forget where real self-worth comes from. What other people think of you -- even Bono -- doesn't matter nearly as much as what YOU think of you.

However...I do understand, from personal experience, that no matter what you think of yourself, there's a certain feeling you just can't get from anything but achievements. It is a social status thing that is deeply ingrained in our psyche as human beings. So it's ok. Go get your cure. (And hurry! I happen to know that there are a some people who are rather close to it already!)

Dot.

Last edited:
Thank you both so much, Chica and Dot. The last thing I want to be seen as is pompous and conceited, which is why I bare my soul on things like this. I know there are people that are truly selfless and willing to help others for nothing, like Bono. I think they actually feel love for the people they save, and I really admire that.

I realize that most of the things I've done for other people I actually did for myself, like all the times I did volunteer work. I did it because I need the hours in order to graduate. I do want approval, and in undertaking this, I know I'll be working at my full potential and not letting anything go to waste. But, I think I need constant and sincere approval from others in order for me to really feel that I'm worth something. I get satisfaction from things I do, but it often doesn't last and never seems enough.

So, while I wasn't doing the best I can this past school year, I intend to this year. I was placed in higher-level classes because my teachers and guidance counselor saw my potential and knew I was bored to tears in standard classes. I want to study at an Ivy League school, because I think that's where my best shot lies. And if I am beaten to the cure for AIDS, I'll just try to find it for another disease. Even though it gets more attention than most other diseases, AIDS isn't the only one that kills millions of people every year.

Betty

Last edited:
I think that's really cool, Betty. Everyone needs goals and things to motivate them, especially when they're doing something that's fiendishly difficult. Finding a cure for AIDS is fiendishly difficult work. But it's something we've got to have. I am glad we have a polio vaccine but we need an AIDS vaccine big time.

verte76 said:
I think that's really cool, Betty. Everyone needs goals and things to motivate them, especially when they're doing something that's fiendishly difficult. Finding a cure for AIDS is fiendishly difficult work. But it's something we've got to have. I am glad we have a polio vaccine but we need an AIDS vaccine big time.

Thank you, Verte. If I do make it to the point where I can actually work on the cure, I'll do my best on it. I don't think any sacrifice I have to make for it is too great if there's a chance that I can make this happen and turn lives around.

MonaVox said:
SWEET ON U2: I wanna eat those little guys in yer sig like POPCORN.

LMAO, they are cute aren't they? I need add Mister MacPhisto and the Mirrior Ball Man on there too! :laugh: :D

Queen Betty said:

Queen Betty:

The very fact you are here proves to me that already you will never be a "waste of time or effort." I don't know you, but I can confidently say that you are already a beautiful person who will only become more stunning as the years go by.

As a scientist, I can tell you that your ambitions are solid and admirable. But don't your love of Bono - or especially fame - guide you. Let Bono inspire you, but make this commitment for yourself, not him. To truly progress to the point where you might be able to find a cure for any disease, you will need many, many years of education and training (I speak from experience). You will truly need to love what you do. Therefore, do this for you - the rewards will come. :)

I wish you all the best in your endeavors. :heart:

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your kind words and good advice, Doctor Who. I'm reading about AIDS almost every day and preparing for the coming school year for myself, and I hope that I'll still feel the same way when I am actually working on the cure with colleagues. I personally am very curious to find out the causes of AIDS are and precisely how they work, but I think that, in wanting to prove my worth to myself by and to receive earnest praise from others for my achievements, I'm already working toward my goal for myself. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom