Bono -keeping his promise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katey

War Child
hey folks

I just wanna update my how much I am admire Bono posts. This might belong somewhere else like in FYI . But this guy never ceases to amaze me .. Bono keeping his promise to be a pain in the ass to Paul Martin after his apperance at the Liberal Convention and making his remarks on Canada's role on the fight against Global Aids and doing our part to help Africa . He stayed true to that writing letters to Paul Martin , voicing his opinion and telephone converstaions.. to make sure Canada held up our end of the bargain with Bill C-9 , essentially getting medicines to those who need them . When he saw it might be going off course a little he did his part to stop it.. Today when Canade made a step in the right direction ( removing the right of first refusal from Bill C-9) we hear of Bono phoning to offer his praise .. you can be sure to he reminded Paul Martin we have much work left to do.. what a guy .. he never forgets and he is a class act!!

He is a man who stay's true to his word and who's tireless efforts on Africa inspire me everyday..

When everything eles in life is still so busy around Bono he never losses site of what matters and of his promises.. when we sit around and worry about a record and tour I cant help but be more then thankful that he takes time out to help those who could care less if he was a member of U2 : the folks in Africa

And I just wanted to take a minute to say my thanks... Bono , my humble thanks ..

:yes:

Bono's kept his promise! Have we kept ours? If you haven't sent in your letter or make your phone call to your leader, why not? Sittin back and saying, "What a good idea" ain't gonna help a thing. :wink:

As always, contact info and sample letters at Bono's Angels. If you have sent a letter/made your call, let me know and I'll add you to the list of Angels! :angel:

sd

well put Sherry..

I have to say I was a little dissapointed in the Canadian citizens.. not as much support as there should be.. the truth of the matter here is that not enough people have made the promise like Bono has.. not enough people are engaged in this .. and I think thats where we are losing out in dramatizing this in a way that wakes people up to this emergency.. The policy people and experts have done what they do best but we need the people who hold the votes .. the citizens to take action..

like it's been said if we really believe that a life in the third world is every bit as valuable as our own.. we would not let his happen

Having said that this was my thanks to Bono ... for doing everything he can to wake people up to this.... and for his extraordinary human kindness

we all can't do the same thing but we can all do something

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH EVERYTHING THAT HAS BEEN SAID HERE!

I especially agree with Sherry Darling and Katey - what is most important is what each of us are doing to help make our world a better place.

It's not just up to Bono - he is a compatriot, a fellow foot soldier with us in the struggle for Peace with Justice in our world. But he IS NOT our leader - nor does he want to be!:ohmy:

BONO WANTS TO INSPIRE EACH OF US TO FIND OUR OWN VOICES and make our waves of social activism in the world, and he has done an EXCELLENT job of doing just that. But ultimately the question is:
WHEN DO WE PICK UP THE BANNER OF SOCIAL JUSTICE AND RUN WITH IT?

If we rely on Bono to do this alone, we are going to tire him out and possibly lose him. And the world would be a much sadder place without his BRILLIANT AND LUMINOUS PRESENCE.

TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOURSELF, BONO. THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF US OUT HERE WALKING BESIDE YOU IN THE JOURNEY OF EQUALITY TO HELP LIFT UP YOUR WINGS WHEN YOU GET TIRED! :wink:

holy wow you guys!

Ladies! Wow, a lot of new faces!

Jamila, thanks so much and aMEN girl! :hug:

Wolfden, kellyhearn, miss u2--LMK if you've sent your debt letter and I'll add you to the List of Angels! I'm planning this Christmas to send something (perhaps via our ambassador, Miss U2? :wink: ) to him about our work for debt cancellation, and I'd love to have 100 Angels by then. :) We're at 93 ya'll! I know we can do it! You already an Angel? Grab a friend and have her write a letter! You haven't yet? It's the 60th Anniversary of the IMF and World Bank, who hold much of the debt of the developing world, so NO TIME TO WASTE!

:hyper:

sd

it's so nice to see the responses.. you guys rock .
Jamila I couldnt have said it better then you.. once again ..

we will keep going forward till we turn the tide on this I know it's coming and that we have the power to do so.

It take but a moment to write a letter make a phone call, and you have such great people here like Jamila and Sherry who are willing to help you with any of that.

Jamila Sherry et al .. These are big things you are doing God bless you

Nope, he's not (it has to do with what committee they're on mostly). But I'm sure he's been delighted to hear from you anyway. :D We need everyone on board we can get. I don't know if you all remember or not, but last year there was a big push to get the "5 and 10% bill" passed--it would reduce the debt poor nations pay to no more than 10% of their revenue (5% if they're an AIDS striken nation). Huge progress, and it was signed into law, but Treasury hasn't implemented it STILL! :down: So, yeah, point is, we need every law maker on this we can get.

Thanks Kelly!

Who's next?

SD

Back
Top Bottom