Bono is the new Beethoven!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greenlight

The Fly
I had to laugh when I read this article http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21112006/344/beethoven-bono-day.html

Was Beethoven the 18th century answer to Bono?

That is the conclusion of classical music experts who have built up a profile of the composer.

A portrait of Beethoven as a "stylish, brooding icon" graces the cover of the latest issue of Gramophone magazine.

According to the magazine, Beethoven shared the U2 star's socio-political ideologies, his cultural significance - and the fact he has no sense of humour.

Editor James Inverne said: "The evidence that Beethoven is back in the limelight in a big way is clear - no less than six new symphony cycle recordings are either in progress or recently completed.

"While having a little bit of fun, we wanted to come up with a cover image this month which would immediately point up the fact that this composer seems peculiarly current today.

"We tried to think of the main Beethovian character attributes. Leading cultural figure? Check. Someone who probably took himself rather seriously and seems unlikely to have had much of a sense of humour? Check. Associated with political and social ideologies? Check. One person today stood out - Bono."

The 21st century Beethoven image was created by illustrator Tim O'Brien.

"stylish brooding icon"- well his dress sense has improved but they obviously haven't seen the green monstrosity :wink: and as for taking himself too seriously without a sense of humour, all I can say is they must have spent too long looking at JT posters. Now I'd love to hear Bono's reaction to this :wink:

:madspit: agreed. Bono is very funny. He cannot get through an interview without cracking a joke.

Thanks for sharing that Greenlight:wink:

Good comparison, although I know the thing about no sense of humor is completely wrong. He cracks me up every time I read an interview with him. Beethoven is a composer I can listen to and really enjoy.

last unicorn said:
Excuse me .... NO sense of humour, this is absolute crap. It's amazing what some bored dudes will come up with.

I agree, if anyone has a sense of humour and doesn't take himself too seriously that would be Bono!! :huh: These people have obviously never seen Macfisto!?! :mac: :coocoo: :wink:

Last edited:
When you all read their idiotic assessment of Bono, what makes you trust their assessment of Beethoven?

What Bon and Ludwig have in common is that they both communicate what they really have to say, and who they really are, through the richness, beauty and eloquence of their music. The rest is just bullshit churned up by yahoos who just don't "get it."

FEELINNUMB said:
When you all read their idiotic assessment of Bono, what makes you trust their assessment of Beethoven?

What Bon and Ludwig have in common is that they both communicate what they really have to say, and who they really are, through the richness, beauty and eloquence of their music. The rest is just bullshit churned up by yahoos who just don't "get it."

I totally agree. I still don't get how being famous + being a musician means they have a lot in common? I never in a million years would've matched Bono with Beethoven.

Back
Top Bottom