Bono is depressed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you travelled the world all the time, a lot of this time without your family, and gave yourself to everybody 24/7 with little personal time
and you were getting older
and you hated your feet, and you were worried about your hairline
but mostly if you spent your life giving yourself away to others, you might have some sort of depression too

Bono is a very passionate man too - I know people of a similar temperament, who also get 'depressed' alot. They also say 'I love you' alot too - they describe their emotions to the extreme, so we learn to take what they say with a pinch of salt.

Could be the same with Bono, but again, it might not be.
I agree with Kelly, but that's just my thoughts.

Last edited:
In the book Killing Bono one of the conversations talks about how abnormal it is to need thousands of people cheering for you to feel good. He also talks about the pressure he's under not musically but in his helping solve the worlds problems. I lent the book so I can't quote directly. I'm guessing he probably has some amount of depression but he seems to deal pretty well with it pretty well.

I'll agree totally with that. Im a passionate person and I tend to get depressed when anybody around me is in pain
I just soak it right up
Ive finally stopped telling everybody I love them :wink:
But I used to write everybody letters when I was a kid telling them I love them :lol:

I would say if anything Bono is happier now than he was during the '80's for example.

redkat said:
In the book Killing Bono one of the conversations talks about how abnormal it is to need thousands of people cheering for you to feel good. He also talks about the pressure he's under not musically but in his helping solve the worlds problems. I lent the book so I can't quote directly. I'm guessing he probably has some amount of depression but he seems to deal pretty well with it pretty well.

:sigh: I can also vouch for this one
Ive spent my whole life trying to gain the love of everybody around me because my mom ignored me throughout my childhood.
I thought that if everybody loved me and thought I was great then she would too. Well it didnt exactly work that way and I was a very depressed child

u2bonogirl said:

:sigh: I can also vouch for this one
Ive spent my whole life trying to gain the love of everybody around me because my mom ignored me throughout my childhood.
I thought that if everybody loved me and thought I was great then she would too. Well it didnt exactly work that way and I was a very depressed child

:hug:

I have a similar problem, but it's with my father, not my mother.
The mind certainly works in mysterious ways.

no kidding.
I never realized why I was such a perfectionist and an overachiever until I read about bono needing the crowd to love him
Then I realized that the reason I was so happy in front of a crowd of adoring people when I was in sports was because I was projecting my mom into them. It takes a lot of people to take the place of your mother

I wish I could remember which boot it was, but on one of the JT concerts he describes himself as a "moody bastard." People are reading entirely too much into this.

bridgit said:
I wish I could remember which boot it was, but on one of the JT concerts he describes himself as a "moody bastard." People are reading entirely too much into this.

Exactly!

Clinical depression also has many physical symptoms. If he were clinically depressed, he wouldn't have the strength/stamina to do what he's been doing for the past few months.

There is a world of difference between the occasional blue mood, or even general moodiness, and clinical depression.

Elessarian said:

You are not serious. :mad:

Dude, I'm thisclose to calling you and playing Pop Muzik over the phone.

Oh, and hey :hug:

A thread where I can finally use my 5 1/2 years of education. :bow: :bow:

Y'know...as opposed to actually working on my thesis. :reject:

Gotta check with Fly and see if she's gotten hers yet.

All I got today was a Woodworking magazine with my name clearly on it, but that I'm not subscribed to (wtf????)...and a form to fill out for a dating service. Whoever sent the latter obviously knows how pathetic my love life is. *sigh*

VintagePunk said:

A thread where I can finally use my 5 1/2 years of education. :bow: :bow:

Y'know...as opposed to actually working on my thesis. :reject:

Gotta check with Fly and see if she's gotten hers yet.

All I got today was a Woodworking magazine with my name clearly on it, but that I'm not subscribed to (wtf????)...and a form to fill out for a dating service. Whoever sent the latter obviously knows how pathetic my love life is. *sigh*

As of yesterday she had not rec'd anything. I promise I sent them!! :(

Oh well, they will be that much better when they do arrive. :wink:

Elessarian said:

As of yesterday she had not rec'd anything. I promise I sent them!! :(

Oh well, they will be that much better when they do arrive. :wink:

I'm full of anticipation. :wink:

And this concludes our thread hijacking for today, folks. You may now resume your regularly scheduled programming. :D

Well, I'm not a shrink nor Tom Cruise so I can't diagnosis Bono. I haven't a clue whether he is depressed or not. However, he has called himself a "moody bastard" and artistic, creative types tend to have a trace of moodiness about them.

What Bono is, however, is a deeply sensitive and compassionate man with a lot on his plate. He's the kind of person who is deeply affected by serious issues so that may make him a bit sad. However, he turns this sadness into activism and that can make a huge difference.

bridgit said:
Less talk, more pictures.

zoloft.jpg

Better? :wink:

digsy said:
or a father

or perhaps to be 6 feet tall

for the record, i dont think bono is depressed. i think like all of us he's prone to low points, tht doesnt mean full blown depression

My thoughts exactly. Nobody is 100% happy/alright all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom