Bono in London today - PHOTOS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
8634243chrissib515200692212AM.jpg

8634244chrissib515200692245AM.jpg

8634237chrissib515200692258AM.jpg

Phone looks to be a Motorola SLVR model.

Wonder if/when RED is going to hit the U.S., seems like everything so far has only been in the UK.

ClaytonMan said:
He's the editor for tomorrows independant, Its a red special, with half the money from sales going to the cause, theres going to be articles from mccartney and the like..

Ah, okay, a little photo op before he goes off to work then! :) I get it now.

These are fanastic pics, by the way -- thanks everybody!!! :hyper:

Pop Artist said:

OK, the untucked shirt sort of diminishes the look, wish he would either tuck it in or keep the jacket buttoned. But, how can you not love that face there! :love:

:giggle: I love this pic...it's like he's trying really hard to dress like a grown-up but just can't quite get it together! :wink:

Woah! He's looking HOT today :drool:

I live in London, maybe I'll go see him :wink:

And as for that phone - I want it! :D I'll make sure to buy tomorrows Independant too....

From the Chicago Tribune - It sounds like the US will be getting the red phone later in the year

Motorola to join Bono in AIDS fight

By Mike Hughlett
Tribune staff reporter
Published May 15, 2006

Pop star Bono is teaming up with wireless giant Motorola Inc. to launch a cell phone that will effectively help fight AIDS and other diseases in the developing world.

Bono's Product Red project was expected to announce Monday in London that Schaumburg-based Motorola will be Product Red's fifth major corporate partner, according to a source close to Motorola.

Product Red is a brand, and products associated with it pony up a portion of sales to charity. Motorola, the world's second-largest mobile phonemaker, will offer a red version of its Slvr, a model fashioned after its popular Razr phone.

The red Slvr will join a red American Express credit card; a Gap T-shirt made in Africa and available in red (and other colors); Armani sunglasses emblazoned with a Product Red logo; and Converse Chuck Taylor All Star sneakers done in an African motif.

Project Red was launched in January by Bono, frontman for supergroup U2, and Bobby Shriver, a record producer, member of the Kennedy family and city councilman in Santa Monica, Calif.

Some profits from Product Red items go to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. For instance, 1 percent of all consumer spending on the American Express red card flows to the fund.

Details on contributions from the Slvr haven't been released. The red Slvr is expected to be sold in Europe first and later in North America, a source close to Motorola said.

The red Slvr won't likely provide a boost in sales for Motorola. "This will be a blip on the radar," said Ed Snyder, a stock analyst at Charter Equity Research.

But the association with Product Red is certainly a positive development from a public-relations viewpoint. And a link with Bono can only help boost Motorola's quest to further position its brand as hip.

The company has been trying to contemporize its brand during the last several years through edgy advertising and marketing associations with MTV and hip-hop artists.

The sleek Razr phone gave Motorola a key product to back up the fashionable image push particularly in Europe, where Motorola has long trailed Finnish phone giant Nokia.

Bono was in the Chicago area recently visiting with Motorola executives. He has long campaigned against poverty and disease, meeting with global leaders between putting out albums with U2.

Bono's Project Red is a new twist on the not-so-new idea of appealing to consumers' social conscience.

For years, some mutual funds have specialized in investments in more socially responsible companies. More recently, Starbucks has been touting its Fair Trade coffee, beans bought from farmers who meet certain labor and environmental standards.

While Project Red has a philanthropic aim, Bono said in a recent interview with the BBC that the project is a commercial venture.

"Philanthropy is like hippy music, holding hands," he told the BBC. "This is more like punk rock, hip-hop, this should feel like hard commerce."

Back
Top Bottom