Bono in Get Up, Stand Up on PBS Wednesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I missed the last part of this because Mr. Brown changed the channel. :angry: Sometimes he acts like he owns the T.V. I had to whine to watch it in the first place. He didn't really want to watch it and he was a teenager in the 60's and was in the Vietnam war. :shrug: Sorry about the rant of my personal married life. :reject:

I noticed that Bono was in a clip of the video sun city(artist united against apartheid) and I've never seen that before. Does anybody have the full video/clips or caps from this?

That show was very informative. I'm embarrased I had no idea who Joe Hill was until I saw it. :reject: I've always loved the song "Old Man River" but had kind of forgotten about the Paul Robeson connection. Now that I've remembered it, it kind of gives a whole new meaning to Bono's doing a snippet of it at the end of "One" these days.

As for the end of the show, I was a little miffed at first. It's not that I think Bono is above criticism or anything like that - no matter how much I understand what he is doing on an intellectual level I have this instinctive cringing reaction myself whenever I see him in a photo op with some politician I despise - but it just seemed like the show contained a lot more criticism of him than any of the other musicians. But now that I think about it, he did have the last word and was able to make an important point.

wow, Bob loked cute :cute:, I quite enjoyed the program and hope I'm not hated for saying this , but I liked that there was criticism on Bono, it neutralized the show a bit. Different perspectives are good, even if I dont agree with them, at least it wasn't bloody Henry Rollins. But I loved Bono in it, even the small section they showed Micahel Stipe :up: and Bruce of course was looking good.

Sherry Darling said:
Did anyone else fall back in love with Sir Bob, too? :love:

Loved the history of the US labor movement via song, too. :up: Not something I know enough about.

"The fat guy" dissing Bono was Dave Marsh. Ignore him. He hasn't had a clue in a long, long time. :D

i am sorry for calling him "that fat guy"> he wasn't dissing bono at all. quite the opposite. he was dissing those who diss bono. thats what i was saying.

and i meant to say "dodgy politicians" not "doggy politicians"

Last edited:
But he WAS dissing Bono -- and I'm sorry you're sorry you referred to him as the fat guy, because you really cracked me up, and I needed it! :wink:

he WAS dissing bono? :| :( :sad:

are you sure?

i thought i heard something to the effect of; people critisize bono for meeting up with stupid politicians and want him to be on the other side of things but that no one listens to the kids out on the street being angry and stuff and they arn't getting anything done but they still have their cool activist images. its the people who don't care that they are being used all they care about is if the job gets done. ect. ect.

i don't know he had a thick accent. i hope i get to see it again to clarify it for myself.

Does anyone know when they will be airing this program again. I missed alot of it:(

i checked the pbs site and it said it wont be airing in the next 2 weeks. after that i don't know. keep checking back. i missed the first 30 min so if i hear anything i will keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom