Bono in DC moments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ralphie

The Fly
Hi all! I had a chat with my cousin today (she also lives in the DC area), and she had some great DC-related Bono stories. Apparently she has a friend in this area who has run into him or known people who have run into him around DC. So here are the tales from her friend (we'll call him 'Dan', because I'm not sure if he wants his real name posted or not). I can't vouch for their accuracy, obviously, but my cuz said this guy isn't the type to exaggerate.

- Dan was riding the Metro home from a bar at 2 am a couple of years ago when he spotted none other than Bono riding across from him. He wasn't sure it was him until another passenger recognized him as well, then he blurted out "Hey, you're Paul Hewson!", to which Bono smiled and replied "Well done".

- Dan's good friend works in DC, and was there one day when Bono was walking around the Mall (not the shopping mall, the federal Mall), 'singing to himself'. His friend said women all around freaked out and nearly fainted as he passed, but no one had the courage to approach him.

- Dan's little sister was at a really nice restaurant in the area for her senior prom a few years ago and U2 was eating at the same restaurant - Bono held the door for her as she was going into/he was coming out of the restroom area.

Hope you enjoy those!

Ralphie said:
Hi all! I had a chat with my cousin today (she also lives in the DC area), and she had some great DC-related Bono stories. Apparently she has a friend in this area who has run into him or known people who have run into him around DC. So here are the tales from her friend (we'll call him 'Dan', because I'm not sure if he wants his real name posted or not). I can't vouch for their accuracy, obviously, but my cuz said this guy isn't the type to exaggerate.

- Dan was riding the Metro home from a bar at 2 am a couple of years ago when he spotted none other than Bono riding across from him. He wasn't sure it was him until another passenger recognized him as well, then he blurted out "Hey, you're Paul Hewson!", to which Bono smiled and replied "Well done".

- Dan's good friend works in DC, and was there one day when Bono was walking around the Mall (not the shopping mall, the federal Mall), 'singing to himself'. His friend said women all around freaked out and nearly fainted as he passed, but no one had the courage to approach him.

- Dan's little sister was at a really nice restaurant in the area for her senior prom a few years ago and U2 was eating at the same restaurant - Bono held the door for her as she was going into/he was coming out of the restroom area.

Hope you enjoy those!

Talk about being at the right place at the right time!! Well done. :wink:

Nice stories, I can't see Bono riding the metro at 2am alone tho, let alone riding the Metro. I have heard he likes to explore places he visits though, so who knows.

Yeah, like I said, this is all second-hand so I can't verify it for sure. Dan did say he was in 'incognito' clothes, and I know Bono does do things like walk through Central Park in NY, so who knows?

Last edited:
Carek1230 said:
Nice stories, I can't see Bono riding the metro at 2am alone tho, let alone riding the Metro. I have heard he likes to explore places he visits though, so who knows.

Maybe exploring at 2AM is just the thing for him. He could go relatively unnoticed at that time. Sounds plausible to me.

Carek1230 said:

Hes also known to slip by his guides and security people to go on an excursion.

Big John had said that Bono made him loose all his hair and he used to be the one women loved but with Bonos antics it made him old and bald. :giggle:

JCOSTER said:

Big John had said that Bono made him loose all his hair and he used to be the one women loved but with Bonos antics it made him old and bald. :giggle:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

somehow I find that entirely possible. :giggle:

JCOSTER said:

John :laugh::love:

JCOSTER said:

Now that's funny and believable too! :lmao:

Ralphie said:

You'd be surprised who you might spot taking the last rail (on weekends, metro stops at 3am), so it isn't too farfetched...but then again, I did hear that he usually stays at the hotel in georgetown...which doesn't have metro access.

speaking of which, he's hanging out in philly & nyc...why not come down to dc?

thanks for sharing! those are great.

Thanks redhot. So you heard he usually stays at a hotel? I've also heard rumors that he has a place or is buying a place in DC, but they're probably just that (rumors).

Hey Ralphie,

I didn't know about him buying a place in DC! That's wild...I don't know if I can handle that...too much hawtness.

When I attended a conference in Feb, some of the people there said he stays in gtown usually...or maybe they were talking about a bar?? i can't remember...that could've been rumor too.

redhotswami said:

When I attended a conference in Feb, some of the people there said he stays in gtown usually...or maybe they were talking about a bar?? i can't remember...that could've been rumor too.

I heard that too when I was @ the conference

Back
Top Bottom