Bono in Dallas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
aislinn said:
Thank you for the story and the photos.

I saw this morning on the news that there were bad storms in the Dallas area last night--hail, lightning, etc.--and was wondering how things went.

Nice to know that Bono actually opened that envelope himself instead of having someone else do it for him. :heart: There are lots of celebs who would have assistants open things from fans and read the notes because they don't want to take the time to do so.

Bono is a very generous man--not that there was any doubt in my mind about that. :wink:

I usually lurk, but I wanted to say that this is the type of story that makes me proud to be a fan of U2 and Bono. :) So poo-poo on those who say he's arrogant or has "diva" behavior at times. He's a human being, and I love and admire this man and U2. :D

:applaud: Bono in a tie... :cute:
and it's SO him to ditch it right after the event :lol:
thanks for the great story and the pics... (and yes comet, he's hanging out the window,,.... again... :rolleyes: )

nice pics nightsong! did i meet you out there? or did you go to trinity hall afterwards?

here's some of my pics...

DSC05349_bono_7.jpg

DSC05347_bono_6.jpg

DSC05346_bono_5.jpg

DSC05345_bono_4.jpg

DSC05344_bono_3.jpg

DSC05343_bono_2.jpg

DSC05342_bono_1.jpg

DSC05341_bonopic.jpg

DSC05339_bonobook.jpg

DSC05331_bonoarriving.jpg

there's some more from trinity hall in my journal.

Bono likens foreign aid to tithing in Dallas speech

10:05 PM CDT on Friday, May 5, 2006
By COLLEEN McCAIN NELSON / The Dallas Morning News

Bono didn’t bring his band. But the U2 frontman was greeted by a cheering crowd Friday in Dallas as he spoke about poverty, AIDS and the crises in Africa.

“If you’re expecting the band, I’m sorry to disappoint you,” he said. “I don’t even tell them I do these things.”

The rock superstar asked an audience of about 3,500 to help him fight for equality and justice in Africa and to urge the U.S. government to do more.

“Africa is a continent bursting into flames,” he said.

Mixing comedy with compassion, Bono spoke about the issues he has devoted his time, his influence and his money to. He described his first trips to Africa in the 1980s, recounting the day that a man asked him to save his child by taking the baby back to Ireland.

“In that moment, I think I started this journey,” Bono said. “In that moment, I became the worst thing of all -- a rock star with a cause.”

Bono sported his signature sunglasses but wore a coat and yellow tie for the event, which was presented by the World Affairs Council of Dallas/Fort Worth.

“I don’t wear ties for politicians, but I wear them for the people of Texas,” he said.

The singer joked that Dallas had humbled him in the past, noting that his first show here in 1981 drew about 30 people and was double-billed with a wet T-shirt contest.

His message, though, was a serious one. And the rocker who generally roams the stage during his concerts stood behind a lectern at Dallas’ Fair Park Music Hall as he detailed the horrors in Sudan.

“Pray for a peaceful result,” he said.

He merged religious references with a few mentions of rock ‘n’ roll, assuring the audience he hasn’t gone soft or become a warm and fuzzy guy. He still favors army boots over Birkenstocks, Bono said.

“I am not a hippie. I do not have flowers in my hair,” he said. “I understand that holding hands and wishful thinking will not solve difficult, complex problems.”

But he argued that addressing the poverty and disease plaguing Africa could change the world.

“Every generation has its defining moral struggle,” Bono said. “This is our shot, our one true grab at greatness.”

The Irishman warned that chaotic, war-torn countries in Africa could become havens for terrorists. Poverty breeds despair and violence, he said.

“In turbulent times, isn’t it cheaper to make friends out of potential enemies than to defend yourself against them later?” he said. “A better world happens to be a safer one as well.”

He likened foreign assistance to tithing, urging the U.S. government to devote an additional one percent of the federal budget to the poor. Foreign aid is “not about charity—it’s about justice,” he said.

Bono has divided his time between music and world affairs in recent years, co-founding DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa) to raise awareness of Africa and to pressure wealthy governments to help.

He has said that there’s something unnatural — even unseemly — about musicians preaching to presidents and then retreating to their villas in the South of France.

But he has proved to be an influential advocate, winning praise from political leaders of all stripes, including President Bush and former Sen. Jesse Helms.

Friday, he said that he has urged the president to polish the United States’ international image by distributing the drugs needed to fight the AIDS epidemic in Africa.

“Paint (the drugs) red, white and blue. Just get them out there,” he said. “We can transform the globe if we have the will.”

The Nobel Prize nominee and former Time magazine Person of the Year spoke in Michigan Thursday night before making his way to Dallas. Friday night was the end of long journey for the World Affairs Council, which spent several months wooing the rock star. The group’s invitation was initially rebuffed, but in March the council announced that Bono — sans band —would be taking the stage in Dallas.

The sold-out event will benefit the non-partisan World Affairs Council’s education initiative.

Although the event drew some U2 fans, most in the audience were interested in the singer’s ideas.

“I’m not here for his music,” said Larry L’Heureux, a retired educator from Pilot Point. “I’m here for his message.”

He said Bono’s ability to cross cultural and political lines had transformed the musician into an influential thought leader.

“He’s a humanitarian I really admire,” Mr. L’Heureux said. “He’s the future of where we’re going.”

Tiffany Flores has been a U2 fan since the fourth grade, but she said she’s equally impressed with Bono’s commitment to important issues.

“I love to be entertained by him, but his conversation is so compelling,” she said.

The 31-year-old teacher from Arlington said that some celebrities seem insincere about supporting causes, but Bono has shown that he’s serious about making a difference.

“If a famous person doesn’t know what they’re talking about, they should stick with looking cute,” Ms. Flores said. “But look at what Bono’s doing.”

DesiresFire27 said:
Thank you so much for your pictures and you story. Did you meet anyone that was going to give him a B-Day book? At the official board they were on a mission to deliver it to him, and I hope that was the envelope he had. It melts my heart to hear that he would stop the car and give that fan their ticket stub......awww.

DesiresFire27, that person was me and Bono did get his b-day book. :dance:

Now that Bono has his VERY SPECIAL and VERY PRIVATE birthday book made up of submissions from nearly 100 people who offered their testimonials as to how Bono has influenced their sense of social activism, I feel that I can post about it to others.

Thus, tomorrow I'll start a thread about what the book was, how it evolved, and what the contributions in it were.

Thanks for thinking about this b-day book FOR BONO - it came completely from our hearts to Bono's.

THANK YOU, BONO! :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

ABEL said:
nice pics nightsong! did i meet you out there? or did you go to trinity hall afterwards?

here's some of my pics...

DSC05343_bono_2.jpg

DSC05342_bono_1.jpg

DSC05341_bonopic.jpg

DSC05339_bonobook.jpg

DSC05331_bonoarriving.jpg

there's some more from trinity hall in my journal.

Bono and his b-day book are clearly seen in Abel's 9th picture here!

Thanks Liz for the only pic that I've seen of Bono and his b-day book - those of us who contributed to it are very appreciative. :up:

I am dancing around now knowing that Bono actually read my birthday note to him in Abel's book! My son shares the same birthday with Bono, so I told him the day has VERY special meaning for me! Woo Hoo! :dancing:

Jamila said:

Bono and his b-day book are clearly seen in Abel's 9th picture here!

Thanks Liz for the only pic that I've seen of Bono and his b-day book - those of us who contributed to it are very appreciative. :up:

i thought that was the book jamila but i wasn't sure...glad i got a pic of it even though i didn't get to sign it in time :reject:

i think i have a couple more pics of the back of your head with bono that i haven't posted yet, i'll check :lol:

I am actually quite stunned by all these photos and stories about Bono's latest appearances. I think it's great and he looks really fine. I don't give up hope that some day I will hear him speak in person, apart from the concerts. I just think he does a great job, and he has this aura of positivity and optimism, he really gives people hope. And it's touching to see and read how he interacts with his fans. I am actually getting more of a fan now.

ABEL said:

i thought that was the book jamila but i wasn't sure...glad i got a pic of it even though i didn't get to sign it in time :reject:

i think i have a couple more pics of the back of your head with bono that i haven't posted yet, i'll check :lol:

Abel, that would be very thoughtful of you if you could find those pics.

I have none of my own to save that moment for me and all the others that contributed to that book.

The crowd was crushing me and a mutual friend of "the man" as we were trying to present it to him and I couldn't get a pic.

So any pics that you can either post here or send me privately, ABEL, I would truly appreciate - for the both of us and the 98 others who sent in their submissions to the book.

Thanks, ABEL, you have always been a good friend. :wink:

FINALLY! some video from the media:
http://cbs11tv.com/local/local_story_126190814.html

I'm pretty annoyed with the local television stations - I taped a bunch of news programs from Sat AM and only WFAA even mentioned the speech.

But it was on the front page of the Dallas Morning News :) Hopefully more Texans saw that then watched the morning news on a Saturday!

Galeongirl said:
is it me or does the tie look weird...
It looks weird because it's totally crooked, bless his heart. But, we know that he can wear a suit and tie correctly, because we've seen him do it. He just usually chooses not to, and we love him for it :lol:

Lila64 said:
“I am not a hippie. I do not have flowers in my hair,” he said.
Oh really?!

bonobabyredflower.jpg

:lol:

All right, I'll stop :wink:

(Thank you for posting the article, Lila :D)

DreamOutLoud13 said:

It looks weird because it's totally crooked, bless his heart. But, we know that he can wear a suit and tie correctly, because we've seen him do it. He just usually chooses not to, and we love him for it :lol:

err... I've seen plenty of pics of Bono with a tie, and none of them were NOT crooked :wink:

I liked the videos, esp. the part about the 'we are the world' thingy(there he did the hand thingy!) .. that one he added this week to his speeches I think :)

DesiresFire27 said:
Thank you Jamila!! Sorry for posting on the other board, I was on pins and needles.

You an Angel

Kristie

Kristie, thanks for your very knid words for me - I truly appreciate them.

I don't know if I'm an angel, but I do try to walk alongside the massive light left in our world by a certain spirit dressing himself in shades, three chords and the truth. :wink:

It was my honor and my privilege to scrapbook all your social activist testimonies FOR BONO and thenmaking sure that his b-day book got in his hands Friday night.

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Jamila said:

Kristie, thanks for your very knid words for me - I truly appreciate them.

I don't know if I'm an angel, but I do try to walk alongside the massive light left in our world by a certain spirit dressing himself in shades, three chords and the truth. :wink:

It was my honor and my privilege to scrapbook all your social activist testimonies FOR BONO and thenmaking sure that his b-day book got in his hands Friday night.

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Angel or not, your sense of self importance is overwhelming. Come down and join the rest of us. It is much easier to have a conversation and an understanding of another person when they aren't constantly busy spouting off about how great they are.

And Bono is a living, breathing human being; same as the rest of us. He isn't a god, deity, angel, guiding light or any other sort of spirit.

ylimeU2 said:

Angel or not, your sense of self importance is overwhelming. Come down and join the rest of us. It is much easier to have a conversation and an understanding of another person when they aren't constantly busy spouting off about how great they are.

And Bono is a living, breathing human being; same as the rest of us. He isn't a god, deity, angel, guiding light or any other sort of spirit.

amen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom