Bono in Court Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Val said:

Ican't get the video to work. Any suggesions? I'm on a mac. thanks

Hi Val

Try this...

http://www.you sendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=5E45E8166231F423

I sent this link to my daughter who has a Mac, and she said it opened up in Real Player.

2morrow said:
^"You're doing the arm thing *again* :madwife:...put the arms down! Are you purposely ignoring me?:mad: I didn't want to have to resort to this!"

<tackle>

That'll teach 'im. :wink:

This sort of criticism is totally out of line! :grumpy: Criticize the music, songs, Bono's singing, performance etc. But I don't think any one has the right to criticize someones mannerisms, especially one, which I personally find, very cute and endearing. I mean, come on, I'm sure we all have our funny little mannerisms, so how would you feel if someone you didn't know, or even a close friend/family member, came up to you and said "Stop doing that coz it annoys me!"?!? I know I'd probably tell 'em where to get off!!! :madspit:
So for those of you who find Bono's 'Napoleon pose' annoying, my advice is GET OVER IT ALREADY!! :rant: End of rant!!! :wink:

Last edited:
Okay, for the record, since I'm the one that brought up the sign idea, I'll point out that I too wasn't serious. Though if someone did do that, I doubt Bono would even know what it was referring to. When I posted it, I was thinking more in the vein of crazy hypothetical sign ideas, like "Adam, I LOVE YOUR PANTS!", and "Bono, play the H chord!", things you might be thinking but would never actually say.
As far as my personal feelings toward Bono's arm habit, it's his arm, it's his business. But it's the sort of thing that's fun to joke about/talk about, especially when we're in a veritable U2 news drought. I can understand Bono's habit of doing it, considering I myself have a habit of holding onto the collar/straps of my shirt, at my right shoulder, with my left hand. I began doing it even more after developing a sort of carpal tunnel-like stress injury in my right wrist, and holding my wrist protectively against my body became a very comfortable thing to do. But if he's doing it specifically to self-consciously hide his stomach, well then, I think we all think that he doesn't need to do that. We love him just the way he is. I'd definitely be the first to try and boost anyone's self esteem by telling them: you're beautiful like you are, you don't need to do this/that/the other.
And I'm going off on a tangent. I shouldn't post under the influence of allergy meds.

Anyhow, back on the subject at hand:

I hate when the juiciest stuff you want to see is only available as a Real Player filetype. I hate Real Player. Any chance someone could convert it, or perhaps YouTube it (I would myself, but they took away my account :scream: ), or at least tell us what we're missing? I'll give you a cookie :wink:

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Okay, for the record, since I'm the one that brought up the sign idea, I'll point out that I too wasn't serious. Though if someone did do that, I doubt Bono would even know what it was referring to. When I posted it, I was thinking more in the vein of crazy hypothetical sign ideas, like "Adam, I LOVE YOUR PANTS!", and "Bono, play the H chord!", things you might be thinking but would never actually say.
As far as my personal feelings toward Bono's arm habit, it's his arm, it's his business. But it's the sort of thing that's fun to joke about/talk about, especially when we're in a veritable U2 news drought. I can understand Bono's habit of doing it, considering I myself have a habit of holding onto the collar/straps of my shirt, at my right shoulder, with my left hand.

I do realise that some people probably are just joking but there are some who are genuine in their criticism of Bono's 'Napoleon pose'. I personally don't think he does it to hide his tummy, what bloody tummy?!? :grumpy: It's just a mannerism he's been doing for a long time, here's proof...

u21983.jpg

....do you think he's trying to hide his tummy here?!? I don't think so!!! :huh:

hcbiggs2002 said:

This sort of criticism is totally out of line! :grumpy: Criticize the music, songs, Bono's singing, performance etc. But I don't think any one has the right to criticize someones mannerisms, especially one, which I personally find, very cute and endearing. I mean, come on, I'm sure we all have our funny little mannerisms, so how would you feel if someone you didn't know, or even a close friend/family member, came up to you and said "Stop doing that coz it annoys me!"?!? I know I'd probably tell 'em where to get off!!! :madspit:
So for those of you who find Bono's 'Napoleon pose' annoying, my advice is GET OVER IT ALREADY!! :rant: End of rant!!! :wink:

I was sorta joking about the arm thing...I just think it would be fun to tackle Bono. :shrug: I'm not serious about wanting him to stop w/ the mannerisms...that's a part of who he is. I wouldn't want someone to change the way they act just bc other people found it annoying. Maybe some of us kid bc we love?

Or maybe I should attach a million of these :)wink:) to every post...

http://contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/u2 stylist boasts special relationship with bono_1011314

U2 STYLIST BOASTS 'SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP' WITH BONO :huh:

LATEST: A former stylist for Irish rockers U2 boasted of the "special relationship" she enjoyed with frontman BONO, during her testimony in court today (19OCT06). LOLA CASHMAN addressed Dublin High Court in her appeal to win back the singer's trademark Stetson hat and other memorabilia she claims were presents from the band following their 1987 Joshua Tree tour. U2 successfully sued last year (05) for the items' recovery, insisting Cashman took them without permission, but the fashion
advisor is adamant Bono gave them freely.

She told the court they were so close she once kicked him in the crotch on stage :confused: after being asked to toast him with a bottle of Champagne - and he didn't mind. ( :shifty: ahem, i think he probably DID mind ) Cashman recalled she was so embarrassed in front of the huge crowd she "ran onstage and kicked him in his manhood" :coocoo: and the champagne cork popped out and hit his face. She added, "(Video) footage shows Bono saying, 'Lola, I love you, come back.' "I think it's a demonstration of the special relationship Bono and I had." ( :scratch: how so?)
Cashman also denied she was planning to release a new tell-all book or was working on a film script about the band. The case continues.
19/10/2006 17:17

I didn't know that acting like an eejit on stage, and kicking someone in the crotch qualified as a "special relationship". :|
Seems to me like Bono was actually being really nice about it, considering her :crazy: behavior.

Last edited:
^Jaysus, this woman sounds like a real nutter!?! :lol: Her statement of the so called close relationship with Bono and your very appropriate smileys totally cracked me up!! :lmao: Men in white coats should cart Ms Cashman off to the nearest padded room pretty sharpish if you ask me!!! :crazy:

according to unison.ie:

Judgement reserved in ex-U2 stylist appeal

16:16 Thursday October 19th 2006

The High Court this afternoon reserved judgement in an appeal taken by former U2 stylist Lola Cashman.
Miss Cashman wants to reverse a Circuit Court order to return four items belonging to the band which she tried to sell at auction.

Under cross examination, the former stylist has admitted contradictions in her accounts of how she acquired some of the items.

Lola Cashman claims U2 gave her a number of items while she worked as their stylist during their Joshua Tree tour in 1987.

She admitted that when she parted company with the band there was friction between herself and the members in relation to her expenses (amongst them an excess luggage charge of €800), her threat of writing a book, and the fact that she was very upset that she had never received a bonus.

Lawyers for U2 have accusing Miss Cashman of reinventing history in her own favour fourteen years later to persuade herself that items in her possession belonging to U2 were hers to sell.

JCOSTER said:
Gee.....now if I had kicked him in the crotch that means our relationship would have be special too! :hmm:

Darn it J! You had your chance! Now...you can't write that book you've been scheming, I mean dreaming of. :tsk: You must feel terrible. LOL.

Currently Listening: "Think of Me"/Madonna

JCOSTER said:
Gee.....now if I had kicked him in the crotch that means our relationship would have be special too! :hmm:

Maybe next time.....:laugh:

But seriously, I would never even think of taking advantage of his kindness in anyway. When I got my autograph and picture I thought maybe I pushed a little to far cause I asked twice. I didn' think he heard me at first.

JCOSTER said:

Maybe next time.....:laugh:

But seriously, I would never even think of taking advantage of his kindness in anyway. When I got my autograph and picture I thought maybe I pushed a little to far cause I asked twice. I didn' think he heard me at first.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the edge used to be one nerdy lookin' dude... losing his hair (and accepting the fact, unlike some people, no names mentioned)

Is that why he keeps wearing all kind of hats since 1987?

"No names mentioned" have to go a long way to look like him.

Last edited:
Here are two more reports from The Irish Independent:

Ex-U2 stylist admits approaching Max Clifford PR agency

13:02 Thursday October 19th 2006

U2's former stylist has admitted approaching the Max Clifford agency to protect herself against statements coming from the band.
However, Lola Cashman says she is not aware that the PR firm is known for dishing the dirt on celebrities and says she does not intend to publish any further material about her experiences with the band.

Ms Cashman is taking a High Court case to try and reverse an order for her to return certain items to U2 which she claims were gifts.

She is denying claims that she wants to sell her story of working with U2 during the 1987 Joshua Tree tour to a tabloid for a five-figure sum.

She also says she is not involved in preparing a film about U2 despite a radio interview she gave in 2003 in which she says she is writing is a film script with a bit of rock n' roll in it.

Counsel for U2 is accusing her of betraying her employers by revealing personal details about U2 members in her book and stealing items from them for her own personal gain.

However, Ms Cashman says she has chosen not to publish her collection of 200 photographs, which she says could be compromising to the band.

Evidence points to only one winner: the lawyers
Friday October 20th 2006

THIS is a childish little spat.

"I was trying to dress him and he was running about in his underwear," Lola Cashman told the High Court yesterday. The "him" in question was Bono. He was 27 at the time but, bless him, he wouldn't settle.

Plonking a silly hat on her head kept the young lad giggling for a while, she said, but Bono doesn't remember it like that. He didn't give her his favourite hat. He thinks the bad lady took his favourite hat - the only hat that kept the bogey man away.

Now (sob, sob) he wants it back. And while she's at it, any other toys that he threw out of the pram. So there.

It is cases like this that keep lawyers in the life they're accustomed to, and make the rest of us admit that our parents were right when advising us to "take the silk" or whatever it is lawyers do.

No doubting what senior counsel Paul Sreenan does. Nothing childish about him either. You get the feeling that Mr Sreenan always did his homework impeccably in the run-up to the big examinations. He certainly did yesterday.

Cross-examining Ms Cashman for more than three hours, U2's big wig painted pretty little evidence patterns while simultaneously painting the stylist into any number of corners.

She must have been delighted to start working for the biggest rock band in the world, he suggested. "I actually didn't even know who they were back then," she replied.

Mr Sreenan immediately reached for her own book on life with the band and quoted her as being "elated to join the biggest rock band in the world".

Why, he asked, had she 10 bags of the band's by-now-infamous "stuff" with her on a flight back in December 1987 at the end of the Joshua Tree tour? She was finishing off a style project for the band, she maintained, and would be working for the band for another four months.

Mr Sreenan reached for the book. He read out a piece where she claimed she walked away from the band in December 1987, despite Paul McGuinness offering her a retainer and Bono begging her to stay with them.

Mr Sreenan kept reaching for the book. To say it was well-thumbed would be to do a disservice to the work of Mr Sreenan's thumb. From where we were sitting, every third page seemed to be tagged, ready for reference.

Most likely, nobody has read 'Inside the Zoo with U2' more times than Paul Sreenan. Certainly, nobody has ever got as much out of it.

He referred to her anger with the band before even meeting them as she had had to wait seven days in various hotels to do it - "the rude f**kers were going to get it and I was going to give it to them".

He spoke of her role as a confidante to the band members and then referred to sections where she spoke about the band members' worries, including The Edge's thinning hair.

He also used her earlier solicitors' letters and evidence from the case in the Circuit Court. Each and every time, he got a lot of use from Ms Cashman's own words.

Following John Rogers SC's bombast, bite and bluster, it was a quiet and studied approach. But it was equally effective, and it was relentless.

To have these two brilliant minds square up to each other to sort out who owns a pair of pants and brown hat seems utterly ridiculous. Maybe this is why we keep hearing that the law's an ass.

"I don't think the book's the issue in this case. I thought it was about four small pieces of memorabilia," Ms Cashman said at one stage.

Those pieces, of course, include the toy hat that keeps the bogey man away. Something else kept Bono away from court yesterday to the disappointment of a number of transition year students in for a look around.

After the razzamatazz of days one and two there wasn't much to entertain to be honest, although Ms Cashman interrupted our dozing with her tales of Bono and his smalls backstage.

Thankfully, it was before lunch.

"I could have mentioned a lot of things I didn't think it was necessary to put in the book who was sleeping with who, it wasn't that kind of book," she said, before informing us that she had been in contact with the publicist Max Clifford.

So we shouldn't be too surprised if we soon find out who was sleeping with whom.

Ms Cashman put up a better fight after a bite to eat - "I clearly know what belongs to me and what doesn't belong to me" - but following on from Bono v Mr Rogers and Paul McGuinness v Mr Rogers it was all a bit of an anti-climax.

The fact that Mr Justice Michael Peart reserved judgment didn't help to enliven matters.

written the last time; but it's still relevant!

After listening to the Live-Line programme on this subject, I feel duty bound to point out the real reason behind the Four Court drama involving U2 and Lola Cashman. It really is NOT so much about a Steston, Christmas Bauble and some out-of-focus Polaroids. No, this showdown is taking place on a matter of Principle (Management). Lola never did anything to ingratiate herself in the U2 camp, and her unauthorized biography does nothing to redeem her. She was (allegedly) a good stylist who believes she saved U2 from the scourge of mullets and tight pants. One might say: good for her for holding onto her truth when challenged by a bunch of ‘yes’ men. But one would be wrong! The inside reality of the U2 corporation is really NOT at all sycophantic. U2 have high standards and respect their employees, so as such do not deserve this kind of nonsensical twaddle, which passes as a revelation. In her book Cashman can’t even put herself across in an endearing light. She reads as an unlikeable, manipulative character; who thinks it is interesting to read about Bono’s (alleged) insecurities. Amidst financial difficulties, items acquired by Lola went unceremoniously up for auction. Billed as collectable U2 memorabilia, little did she know that no one was going to be interested in a load of old PANTS, except Bono. Bono is a stickler for justice and this court case to retrieve certain items was the only legal approach possible in response to Lola’s antics. When Ms Cashman published her book, she was no longer bound by a confidentiality clause. So it must have stung not to have had control of such intimate accounts. But, Lola’s revelations are not only boring; they are totally unnecessary and private. It is NOT Bono who is petty in trying to retrieve his beloved Stetson; but Lola who thought it appropriate to sell her soul.

However, Ms Cashman says she has chosen not to publish her collection of 200 photographs, which she says could be compromising to the band.

**VERRRRRY INTRIGUING!!!!:hmm:

"I was trying to dress him and he was running about in his underwear," Lola Cashman told the High Court yesterday. The "him" in question was Bono. He was 27 at the time but, bless him, he wouldn't settle.

**I'D LOVE TO HAVE SEEN THAT

I could have mentioned a lot of things I didn't think it was necessary to put in the book who was sleeping with who, it wasn't that kind of book," she said, before informing us that she had been in contact with the publicist Max Clifford.

**:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom