bono in boston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got home. I'm freezing my ass off and depressed because we missed them.

(the following is therapeutic ranting and you probably don't care.) I met up with tripletmom around 7am and we went to the loading dock entrance for a while and then back to the front door. Then we went in and with 3 other girls (I think one of them reads interference) went up the elevator that we could get to without having to show a badge to security. Tripletmom and I located the door of the dressing room area but there was of course a security guard there, so we stood there for a while, then we had a go at sneaking into the auditorium. She got in but I didn't. She can post with all her great pictures later, they are gorgeous. After I didn't get in, I went and talked to a security guard for a while and begged him to let me in the dressing room but he didn't want to lose his job. A woman who he identified as the MBA organizer came out and said she just met Bono and it was cool. Now I knew for sure he was back there (before there was the whole "I can't tell you" thing going on) and really begged, then the building manager came over so I asked him if I could go back. He said no, that Bono was already to the stage area anyway and wouldn't be back there after the speech but would leave (liar...tripletmom saw him go back to talk to the banker VIPs), and my best bet was to go into the speech - oh wait, I didn't have a pass and the woman at the door already knew it. I stood outside the door for a bit and another suit came over and told me he'd be leaving from the loading dock in a limo (liar...he was in a ford explorer). I bought this and along with 8 other people waited outside the loading dock. About 10:15 (we'd been there in the freezing cold for more than an hour) tripletmom and 2 others came out from the speech and waited with us and a guard said he was coming. Then another came and said he'd left out the other loading dock driveway - not the one I'd been directed to originally but one tripletmom had been told was "the best bet." We went up there and confirmed with the security guard there that he was gone (sped right off, no fans there), and that's my very, very disapointed story.

I wish I'd at least gotten to see him speak. :(

I am going to go get my photo cd now and try to share the photos. Bono looked awesome. He had his red shades on and unbuttoned shirt. The speech was great and I got right in his line of vision when they were doing Q & A and I swear he saw me as I was right in front of him and I had my One shirt on and he was talking about the One Organization. The lights were on at that point so I think he could see into the audience. So I am psyched to have heard him speak and see him so close but sad I didn't catch him afterwards. Varitek and I win points for trying!!!!
Next time!!!!!!

Oh, what a bummer, varitek.
I'm sorry feeling you so :angry: and :banghead: and :(
Is there something we can do to make you smile?
:sigh: :hug:

Well, Varitek, sorry you didn't get to see him. Maybe next week, are you planning to go to NY for the 26th? That is to be another thread to come.....

It was a great try. Those securtiy guards(not Bono's) really stink for lying.

Tripletmom, very happy you got to hear and see him speak.
Can't wait for your info....

Varitek said:
door. Then we went in and with 3 other girls (I think one of them reads interference) went up the elevator that we could get :(

Yup, that was me. We got into the speech but also missed him afterwards. There were too many places he could leave from. We waited by the dressing room for awhile and no luck. Too bad you weren't able to get in, too, Varitek. It was good to see him even though he always has basically the same speech.

Can't wait to see the pics! I didn't dare take any inside since I thought we'd be caught for not having badges anyway. We told the security at the door that we had already been inside the room and left our badges when we left to use the bathroom. We made us promise to bring the badges back to show her but of course we didn't.

tripletmom said:
This may sound dumb but how do I post pictures on here?:confused: :confused: :hmm: :hmm: :camera: :camera:

Do you have them already on your pc, right?
Well then register yourself free on photobucket.com and upload your pix on it. The pix will be then shown to you ready to be posted...ok, I can't explain myself, but it's really easy, just read here:
http://forum.interference.com/t89742.html

and hurry! we can't wait to see your pix!!! ;) :dancing:

I'm wondering if this convention isn't much considered, at least by local news. I mean, I'm not able to find any wretched pix or recall of his speech, but of course I don't even know so good the local sources. Maybe some of you in the US could.
By now, only friends from atU2 (thanks!) have posted a little pix.
I think it is quite referring to today since he's as tripletmom described him ( :drool: btw...), so meanwhile she's uploading her pix let's get a taste

bonoboston.jpg

http://www.atu2.com/

Last edited:
kinkajou7 said:

Yup, that was me. We got into the speech but also missed him afterwards. There were too many places he could leave from. We waited by the dressing room for awhile and no luck. Too bad you weren't able to get in, too, Varitek. It was good to see him even though he always has basically the same speech.

Can't wait to see the pics! I didn't dare take any inside since I thought we'd be caught for not having badges anyway. We told the security at the door that we had already been inside the room and left our badges when we left to use the bathroom. We made us promise to bring the badges back to show her but of course we didn't.

WOW! You gals were resourceful!!! I love the story with the badges!!!! lol!
Did you notice any PRESS there at all taking pix of him? I can't find ANY yet other than what was posted on here..

JG

Varitek said:
Just got home. I'm freezing my ass off and depressed because we missed them.

(the following is therapeutic ranting and you probably don't care.) I met up with tripletmom around 7am and we went to the loading dock entrance for a while and then back to the front door. Then we went in and with 3 other girls (I think one of them reads interference) went up the elevator that we could get to without having to show a badge to security. Tripletmom and I located the door of the dressing room area but there was of course a security guard there, so we stood there for a while, then we had a go at sneaking into the auditorium. She got in but I didn't. She can post with all her great pictures later, they are gorgeous. After I didn't get in, I went and talked to a security guard for a while and begged him to let me in the dressing room but he didn't want to lose his job. A woman who he identified as the MBA organizer came out and said she just met Bono and it was cool. Now I knew for sure he was back there (before there was the whole "I can't tell you" thing going on) and really begged, then the building manager came over so I asked him if I could go back. He said no, that Bono was already to the stage area anyway and wouldn't be back there after the speech but would leave (liar...tripletmom saw him go back to talk to the banker VIPs), and my best bet was to go into the speech - oh wait, I didn't have a pass and the woman at the door already knew it. I stood outside the door for a bit and another suit came over and told me he'd be leaving from the loading dock in a limo (liar...he was in a ford explorer). I bought this and along with 8 other people waited outside the loading dock. About 10:15 (we'd been there in the freezing cold for more than an hour) tripletmom and 2 others came out from the speech and waited with us and a guard said he was coming. Then another came and said he'd left out the other loading dock driveway - not the one I'd been directed to originally but one tripletmom had been told was "the best bet." We went up there and confirmed with the security guard there that he was gone (sped right off, no fans there), and that's my very, very disapointed story.

I wish I'd at least gotten to see him speak. :(

Sorry you didn't get to see him, but I'm still very proud of your efforts. :hug:

tripletmom said:
I am going to go get my photo cd now and try to share the photos. Bono looked awesome. He had his red shades on and unbuttoned shirt. The speech was great and I got right in his line of vision when they were doing Q & A and I swear he saw me as I was right in front of him and I had my One shirt on and he was talking about the One Organization. The lights were on at that point so I think he could see into the audience. So I am psyched to have heard him speak and see him so close but sad I didn't catch him afterwards. Varitek and I win points for trying!!!!
Next time!!!!!!

See you got into see him speak!!! Never say Never. There WILL be a next time! :wink:

Sorry to hear that you didnt get to see Bono :hug:
But yeah you guys both get some major points for trying!!

Just came home from my literature class, I had totally forgotten that Bono was in Boston today speaking at this event. Cannot wait for more photos. Thanks for the stories, and, Varitek, so sorry for you.

I just read on at U2 dot com that Bono said some very interesting things about the new U2 projects during his speech: That he'll be going back in November to join the others in the studio, that the new album will be out in 2008 and that he and Edge are writing music for a Spiderman OPERA.

Don't know if all of this is true. I wish we could listen to/watch his speech.

So sorry you guys....I feel your pain. :( :sad: But seriously...his dressing room??:)

Don't worry, it will happen! If they were on tour it would be easy!

((((HUGS))))))

Bono's beautiful day
By Carol Beggy and Mark Shanahan, Globe Staff | October 17, 2007

Bono's early-morning talk to the Mortgage Bankers Association must have made him hungry. After yesterday's appearance, the U2 frontman called up Radius chef/co-owner Michael Schlow and asked if he could bring a small group to the Financial District restaurant for lunch. We're told that after preparing the meal, Schlow, who's known Bono for about 10 years, sat down and joined the group for awhile. Bet that was a tasty conversation.

1192623987_4861.jpg

Bono tells bankers, you, too, can make a difference

By Kimberly Blanton, Boston Globe Staff | October 17, 2007

You've got stuck in a moment and now you can't get out of it.

These lyrics to a song by Irish rock band U2 might best describe the mood at the Mortgage Bankers Association's big annual conference this week in Boston.

There were dour panels on subprime loans gone bad. Plunging profits spawned predictions of massive layoffs in the industry.

But for the bankers and loan brokers in attendance, the glum mood was broken somewhat by U2 singer Bono, the featured speaker at the association's gathering at the Hynes Convention Center. Bono is on the lecture circuit, using his rock superstar status to advocate for aid for the poor and disease-wracked of Africa.

"You're sitting there thinking you're having a bad day, and he's talking about millions of people in Africa - the poverty," said Maureen Ostrom, one of thousands who caught Bono's speech at 8:30 a.m.

"It was just so inspirational," she said, as co-worker Sal Mazzocca, seated next to her, sang a few bars of the U2 hit "Running to Stand Still."

The thousands who crowded into the auditorium sat in rapt attention as Bono told a story of an Ethiopian father who once begged the singer to take his son home to Ireland with him so the boy would not die of starvation or AIDS.

With panels such as Subprime Market Portfolio Solutions for the Practitioners on the agenda yesterday, Bono's appearance created the buzz among attendees. So much so that those who didn't hear him regretted it right away.

"We were bummed we missed it," said Mary Pirello, who heard a rumor that Bono - said to be just 5 feet 6 inches tall - wore platform shoes on the podium. His outsized image was projected on two giant video screens flanking the stage in the hall.

With thousands of subprime loans falling into foreclosure across the country, the mortgage industry is struggling because investors are refusing to put more capital into a troubled sector. And with thousands of borrowers losing their homes to foreclosure, some in the industry are engaged in some serious soul-searching.

But for an hour or so yesterday, Bono, the bankers said, transported them out of their day-to-day worries. Though he has urged wealthy nations to forgive the debts of poor countries in Africa, forgiveness of domestic mortgages was not on Bono's agenda yesterday.

He instead charmed the bankers and lenders with stories about his "bad boy" days as a rocker. He also appealed to the audience's collective conscience when he urged them to do humanitarian work or give to charities, even during tough times.

"It's star power," said Brian Thomas, a Wells Fargo amp; Co. employee attending the conference from Minneapolis.

And all this talk about Bono's "really important" humanitarian work is great, said Ken Kummerer, who works for Southwest Securities in Chicago. But most who were there "love him because he's Bono," he said.

Said Valerie Harden, who works for JPMorgan Chase in Florida, "The reason people liked him was we're so wrapped up in ourselves - what's the interest rate and are we going to hit our quotas. He found the really important thing in life is to help people."

Security around Bono's visit was tight. Perhaps Bono didn't want U2's guitarist, The Edge, to learn that he was speaking - as he joked to the crowd - to a convention hall filled with bankers in black and blue suits. Bono also prohibited photographers, though a few attendees snapped pictures with their cellphones.

And Bono's speech was strictly off the record, according to Mortgage Bankers Association staff, who were instructed not to talk to the press about it. Bono, who told the audience he flew in to Boston on a private jet, was whisked away after his talk.

Brandon Fox noticed "the mood has been a little lighter" since Bono's appearance.

"Maybe," said Fox, who works for eMortgage Logic in Fort Worth, "Bono did it."

Back
Top Bottom