Bono Finally Receives His Knighthood!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
teenie said:
sirbono2.jpg

finally! his dream came true! :cute:

Poor Ali, how is she going to put up with him now at home? :help: I bet he's telling her and kids to call him "sir this" and "sir that" all the time. :wink:

Congrats Sir Bono! (even if it is days late)

Not sure if you knew..but...
He's not a "sir" and according to his speech doesn't want to be called one. Because he is a irish citizen he can't be a "sir".

His title is: Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire
:wink:

U2Fanatic4ever said:
Not sure if you knew..but...
He's not a "sir" and according to his speech doesn't want to be called one. Because he is a irish citizen he can't be a "sir".

His title is: Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire

i know all that. that doesn't mean he's not using it at home just as a joke over and over again......... :dancing: It's a lot shorter than telling everyone in the family to call him "Knight Commander ............. what?"

Bono: "Sir will do kids, and by the way, it's ok to kneel and bow while you're at it too. Hey Elijah, your bowing isn't quite deep enough!!!" :wink:

I can just picture him doing that sort of stuff. silly boy. can't take the boy out of this man.

Vincent Vega said:
^Show some respect or he will come with his light saber. :tsk:

ok, in that case, better post my address quick! Knight Bono come and find me at 745 green meadows .......................

:dancing:

PS: feel free to swing by Scotland and bring along that cutie Ewan One Kenobi too. He can teach you how to use that saber without hurting yourself.

thankyou said:

PS: feel free to swing by Scotland and bring along that cutie Ewan One Kenobi too. He can teach you how to use that saber without hurting yourself.

:lmao: I DOUBT that anybody could teach him that... Bono isn't that... handy... so I'm sure that he could hurt himself with a toothpick! :giggle:

Bling is fit for a king in Bono's crowning glory

U2 frontman Bono yesterday declared his love for England as he accepted an honorary knighthood from the Queen.

But the peace-loving singer warned there was one thing he wouldn't stand for - being called Sir.

Accepting his bit of "bling" on behalf of the anti-poverty movement and the band, the U2 singer reached a new elevation as he was awarded the Status of Honorary Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.

Following in the footsteps of another Dubliner Bob Geldof, the 46-year-old was keen to avoid the nickname Sir Bono, which has stuck to his campaigning predecessor, despite him not being entitled to it.

Sporting his wraparound shades and platform shoes, he modestly joked: "You have my permission to call me pretty much anything, Lord of Lords, your demi-Godness, but not Sir."

For the man who has already picked up almost every award on offer from the 2005 'Time' Person of the Year to the French Legion D'Honneur, Bono said this would help open doors as there were still governments and groups who did not want to meet him.

There was a fleet of cars - Mercedes, Maserati and Jaguars - befitting a rockstar and his entourage parked up outside the Dublin residence of the British Ambassador David Reddaway.

Inside, the room was packed as his wife Ali, dressed all in black, sat flanked by her two girls Jordan and Eve, with the boys Eli and his youngest, John, sitting cross-legged on the floor for the brief ceremony.

"John thought I was getting a light sword and becoming a Jedi," he laughed afterwards.

During the ceremony, a letter was read out from British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who called Bono "inspirational" for his remarkable work in the fight against poverty.

Praised

He was praised for his role in the run-up to the G8 summit, which focused on helping poor nations in Africa.

Bono's brother Norman Hewson was there, as were Ali's parents Joy and Terry Stewart, his close friend Gavin Friday, artist pal Guggi, his friend Simon Carmody, crew member AJ Rankin, Paul McGuinness's wife Kathy Gilfillan, artist Louis le Brocquy and his wife Anne Madden.

"I love Great Britain, I think Great Britain is great. Irish people support British football teams, Irish bands sign to British record labels, Irish people speak English. We even have one in our band," he said on the lawns of the old house.

"You think rock bands are supposed to kick against the establishment. Well I always thought U2 had more interesting enemies than that. For us, it was always the established order of things that we fought against."

Bono said it was great that two of his bandmates the Edge and Adam Clayton had turned up for the ceremony, adding: "I know they squirm when they see me in interesting company, they still support what I do in every way.

"This though is about something I think bigger than my own involvement, it is about a movement that has gathered to rid the world of this ridiculous idea that you can starve to death in the 21st century," he said.

He said he was proud of the work the debt relief movement had done in the UK, which had helped 20 million more people in Africa to go to school.

Going off to join in the party, he quipped: "How much do you think I'd get for this thing in Weirs?"

The front man believes his new title will help him secure talks with world politicians to advance the battle against Third World debt.

"An award like this actually really helps me get through a few doors I wouldn't get through and that's the truth, that's the way the world is," he said.

He said the only disappointment of the day came from his young son, John.

"John thought I was getting a light stick - he thought I was becoming a Jedi," he said.

Bono wore two pins on his jacket representing two previous national awards, the Legion d'Honneur presented by President Jacques Chirac on behalf of the French government and the Portuguese Order of Liberty.

402449.jpg

Last edited:
rubberducky said:
Who is AJ Rankin? Bono's mother's name was Rankin too. Could there be any connection?

:yes:

He's his cousin and looks after Bono when he's onstage;

From his "cv" on U2.com:

How I Ended up Working With Them:
I’d always been hassling Bono that I wanted to go out on the road. He’s my cousin and, let’s face it, family works ! I was a fitness instructor at the time and eventually he said, ‘You’re fit, come on out!’
But I had to be interviewed by Tim Buckley (Stage Manager at the time) which, if you’ve ever met him, you realise is a hilarious idea. I got a haircut and wore a suit and he said, ‘We don’t really want you out here, but you have a six week trial period. If it works you’re in.’ That was in November 1986, just before The Joshua Tree and here I am nearly two decades later. We did The Old Grey Whistle Test (legendary British TV rock show) and that was my first proper gig with them: Sinead O’Connor was on the bill, it was up in Belfast. I always remember those beautiful eyes of hers and this wild Mohican she had. Stunning!

and about Bono cuttng his chin in the 80's:

Not long after I had gone out on the road with them, at the start of The Joshua Tree tour in Tempe, Arizona, Bono was experimenting with the big hand-held spotlight that he used to turn on the audience. He turns round and tells Willie (Williams, Show Designer) to turn out all the lights – and, as he did, he fell off the stage, landing on Fraser McAllister, his guitar tec at the time.
Bono was bleeding big time. I think he got seven or eight stitches in the chin. I remember sitting at the back of the stadium with Steve Iredale and crying. I thought my tour was over! Technically, it was my job to catch him and I felt I had failed in my responsibility. But the lights were out and I couldn’t see him when he fell down the hole in the stage. The light hit him in the chin and cut him open. But my tour of duty continues and over the years my job has become less hazardous – for example we now have radio mikes so I don’t have to run around paging out cable to him wherever he is on the stage. I tell you, this wasn’t an easy job – especially if he decided to climb off the stage and into the audience!

and..

Bono as a Boss:
I give him the respect as my boss, but when he’s at home I’ll kick his ass.! (If you’re reading this Bono, it’s all lies!)

What Are You Doing During the Show ?:
Looking after Bono. I’m closer to him in the show than anyone - ever! I am his second eyes and ears, and I try and stay in his shadow. I try to preempt all his movements so he doesn’t accidentally fall off the stage. There’s nothing like a double tap on the shoe to say, ‘Easy - you’re hanging over the edge.’
As well as this I am also a kind of waterboy: I carry the water, towels, spare radio mike – whatever he needs I carry it. If I haven’t got it, I call Rocco and he is usually there within seconds. He’s a Trojan.

There is even more info if you want :wink:

Thanx everyone for all the information, very interesting indeed.
Seems like there were much more people present at the ceremony than first reportet.
I didn't know Bono's brother and his parents-in-law had turned up.
Awww, I am so happy for him that he was surrounded by so many loved ones on that special day.

Wow, thank you for the latest picture. Are these from the ceremony? Adam and Edge look very good, and for once Edge is not wearing his Music Rising shirt. Very classy!

Those are great thank you! I'd love to see one of Bono with Edge and Adam like that. that would be a great pic.

Back
Top Bottom