Bono At The White House Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I saw on the news that he would be, to talk about AIDS funding, so maybe there will be some pics :hyper:

Of course what he's doing there is far more important than photos, but still..:wink:

Last edited:
Thank you! I also agree, his work is more important than the photo op, but still, we want the pics! :eek: ;) With Bono, no reason we can't have both:D

1063734685.2416353403.jpg

1063734567.2550546548.jpg

Bono, lead singer of the rock group U2, waits to be introduced at a news conference in Washington, September 16, 2003. Bono joined representatives from several U.S. religious groups to urge President Bush and Congress to keep America's promise to Africa by fully funding AIDS and anti-poverty initiatives in the Foreign Operations Appropriations bill. REUTERS/Hyungwon Kang

It must be happening right now, they're coming up every minute! :hyper:
1063735476.2349244531.jpg

:applaud: Bono! :)

capt.1063740659.people_bono_wx120.jpg

Entertainer Bono, right, meets reporters in Washington, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2003, where he joined leaders from some of America's largest religious groups to call on President Bush and Congress to to keep America's promise to Africa by fully funding AIDS and anti-poverty initiatives in the Foreign Operations Appropriations bill. At left is Agnes Nyamayarwo a nurse from Uganda whose husband and two sons died of AIDS. (AP Photo/Matthew Cavanaugh)

capt.sge.fud31.160903191914.photo00.default-259x395.jpg

capt.1063740973.people_bono_wx119.jpg

Entertainer Bono, right, meets reporters in Washington, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2003, where he joined leaders from some of America's largest religious groups today to call on President Bush and Congress to keep America's promise to Africa by fully funding AIDS and anti-poverty initiatives in the Foreign Operations Appropriations bill. Bishop John Ricard of Pensacola, Fla., chairman, International Policy Committee, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops looks on at left. (AP Photo/Matthew Cavanaugh)

Last edited:
I can't see it either :( :hug: My computer won't work it. But we have the pics. Looks like me and you are the only ones interested:shrug: Great pics, great work Bono:up:

I watched the video and it was great to see but it also makes me mad bc we(world) need to do something about AIDS instead of arguing over freakin money!!!!

My mom brought me home the page of USA Today that had the interview with Bono. Her co-worker had found it and given it to her. I read it, and loved his ideas.
I think if we are spending $87 billion dollars, we might as well make it $88 and use that extra to fund the entire continent of Africa. I find it hard to believe that with all the money we have been spending lately we haven't given any to the AIDS funds or Africa.

bonocrazy88 said:
My mom brought me home the page of USA Today that had the interview with Bono. Her co-worker had found it and given it to her. I read it, and loved his ideas.
I think if we are spending $87 billion dollars, we might as well make it $88 and use that extra to fund the entire continent of Africa. I find it hard to believe that with all the money we have been spending lately we haven't given any to the AIDS funds or Africa.

:yes:

I don't know if this has been posted, but this is the pic that was on the USA Today webpage:

338697%3B923232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E2323%3D537%3D883%3D3232537792764nu0mrj

Last edited:
Bono was very subdued, clearly a little miffed after talking with Bush, and spoke very passionately today. He's starting to get angry but he is remaining calm and professional. Just very passionate and very sincere.

Some quotes:

?There?s some kind of correlation between America?s safety and the plight of the world?s poorest people. I know that these men of God who stand behind me will tell you that the plight of the poorest of the poor is what?s on God?s mind. And I believe that. And I believe that we?ve let slide their plight. And this is the time to take action and to treat it as an emergency, for that is exactly what it is.?

?I met with President Bush this morning ? We had a good old row. 3 billion to me says that we are serious?I believe that the capacity is there; he doesn?t. I believe that it is wise to spend now and to build the capacity and to build the infrastructure.?

Bono rants about his frustrations with dealing with George Bush:

?I?m not positive ? I?m depressed! Do I LOOK positive? ?We want the money NOW, that?s what we?re fighting about; that?s what I?m upset about. But as it happens, I do think he?s in it for the long run, I don?t think it?s showbusiness if that?s what you?re asking.

??and with regards to how I go about business, I want to pull my hair out! But not at George Bush, not at Tony Blair, not at Jaques Chirac, not at Schroeder ? at ALL of them! You know, because it?s NEVER gonna be moving too fast, because if you?ve watched someone die when you watch the wailing and keening of their family after somebody dies if you watch children die needlessly, because their mothers did not receive Nevirapine ? which costs NOTHING ? Then you get very angry. I can get very, very angry. If you want me to do angry, I?ll do angry. But right now I?m trying to calm down, and trying to get the president to open up his wallet and give us 3 billion. And, as I say, I do believe that he is sincere and his team are sincere; they?re just not moving quick enough from my point of view.?

Last edited:
PaleBlueDot said:
??and with regards to how I go about business, I want to pull my hair out! But not at George Bush, not at Tony Blair, not at Jaques Chirac, not at Schroeder ? at ALL of them! You know, because it?s NEVER gonna be moving too fast, because if you?ve watched someone die when you watch the wailing and keening of their family after somebody dies if you watch children die needlessly, because their mothers did not receive Nevirapine ? which costs NOTHING ? Then you get very angry. I can get very, very angry. If you want me to do angry, I?ll do angry. But right now I?m trying to calm down, and trying to get the president to open up his wallet and give us 3 billion. And, as I say, I do believe that he is sincere and his team are sincere; they?re just not moving quick enough from my point of view.?

A-frickin-BOOOYAH-men!!! :up: This is good to hear.

Back
Top Bottom