Bono at the White House 5-22-2005

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jamila said:
I'm sure that this had something to do with Bono's visit with Rice today:

Dear Friend,

This summer, President Bush and seven other leaders from the world's wealthiest nations will gather to discuss the fate of the ONE billion people around the world living in extreme poverty. In early July, the Group of Eight (G8) will discuss the major social, political and economic conditions that contribute to extreme poverty. There are historic plans in place to beat poverty in Africa and the poorest countries. This is our chance to support our leaders in making these plans a reality. Let's raise our voices as ONE to Make Poverty History.

Tell your friends about ONE today!

Your voice is already making a difference. Yesterday's Washington Post featured ONE and our efforts to build "a permanent big-tent movement" to urge President Bush and other world leaders to take action at the G8 and lead an entire generation out of poverty. Together we can build this movement.

Ask your friends, family and colleagues to join us at this crucial moment

Together as ONE, we can let President Bush know Americans support the fight against global AIDS and poverty!

On June ONE, we will launch an unprecedented mobilization of Americans calling on President Bush to deliver a historic deal for the world's poor at the G8 Summit. If everyone who reads this e-mail encourages just 3 friends to join ONE, we will be well over ONE MILLION strong in time for the G8 Summit. That's ONE million voices united behind ONE message: Make Poverty History!

Make history this summer. Tell your friends that NOW is the time for action - ask them to join you for the largest-ever movement against global poverty in American history.

Thank you,

The ONE Team

------------------------------------------------

The G8 meeting in July is a big deal to Bono and the various white band organizations around the world, so I'm sure that Bono wasn't there to talk about fashion. Although maybe Condi could have given him a pointer or two! :lol:

http://www.whiteband.org

That just ROCKS!!!..:dancing:

***Go Bono Go***

I would like to make more people aware of the ONE campaingn around the office building I work for but I we are not allowed to
put up notices and such, I was thinking of making flyers and passing them out and not just in my office building complex but all over and pass them out to everyone I see...Anyway that is how I plan to contribute!

P.S
I think Condi ROCKS! at least she does not dress like a stuffy polititian! and I think she rocked the boots!

Yeah those pictures are cool. Now we have to decide what is bigger: Bono's heart, or, the gap between Condoleezza Rice's teeth :wink:

i cant stand Condi Rice. i feel like im looking at mother theresa (bono) standing there with hitler's clone (condi). :(
i feel all quesy looking at that pic. bono doesnt look exactly.. too thrilled about it either.. maybe thats just me. :(

condi actually looks like she has a sincere smile on her face there though. hmmm. bono does have the power to reach people and charm the socks off them, so maybe ciondi is human afterall.....

:ohmy:

(sorry all you condi likers.)

MattFromNYC said:
i cant stand Condi Rice. i feel like im looking at mother theresa (bono) standing there with hitler's clone (condi). :(
i feel all quesy looking at that pic. bono doesnt look exactly.. too thrilled about it either.. maybe thats just me. :(

Thank you Matt, my feelings about "Condi" (to me, like calling The Schickelgruber "Dolphy") as well, and about seeing Bono with her. I knew from jump what he was trying to do by dealing with all these dreadful people, because you can't solve a problem unless you deal with the ones causing it, but it has been very hard to take, and I think, a few years down the road, that Edge's fears were justified. To look at a photo like that and have the conversation revolve around the hairdo and boots of a woman like that, and why a man like that isn't dressed like he's going to his Confirmation....this is a damn scary time to be alive.

FEELINNUMB said:

Thank you Matt, my feelings about "Condi" (to me, like calling The Schickelgruber "Dolphy") as well, and about seeing Bono with her. I knew from jump what he was trying to do by dealing with all these dreadful people, because you can't solve a problem unless you deal with the ones causing it, but it has been very hard to take, and I think, a few years down the road, that Edge's fears were justified. To look at a photo like that and have the conversation revolve around the hairdo and boots of a woman like that, and why a man like that isn't dressed like he's going to his Confirmation....this is a damn scary time to be alive.

thankyou.

its scary indeed.

and, dont the people in this forum realize the bigger picture here other than fucking fashion? this woman is evil, so is that administration.. and its just like looking at bono standing there with ... cold blooded scum there. and he doesnt even wanna be there, im sure oif it.

Here is some more about why Bono visited Rice yesterday:

Bono to Condi: All I Want is You to aid Third World
By Gayle Fee and Laura Raposa
Thursday, May 26, 2005 - Updated: 02:51 AM EST

While the Hub breathlessly panted All I Want Is U(2), Bono and most of
the boys blew off Boston yesterday for Canada - and Condoleezza!

The Irish band's activist frontman blew town after the first sold-out
U2 show at the FleetCenter and landed in the nation's capital in the
wee hours. Then at noon yesterday, he took a private lunch meeting with
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in one of the State Department's
diplomatic dining rooms.

Bono and Condi, who squeezed the rocker into her schedule between a
closed meeting with former German Chancellor Helmut Kohl and a sitdown
with Indonesian prez Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, are old pals from her
days as National Security Adviser.

They've chatted a few times about Africa, HIV/AIDS and help to foreign
countries - all topics near and dear to Bono.

But apparently, the celeb activist Still Hasn't Found What (He's)
Looking For, because he requested yet another meeting with Madame
Secretary to plead his case!

As you can imagine, the shades-sporting rock star created quite a stir
at the State Department, where starstruck staffers rushed to the Ben
Franklin Room with their camera phones.

"She told Bono, 'They don't usually do this for me,'" said Rice's
spokesguy, Noel Clay.

While Bono was busy on the Beltway lobbying the Bush administration to
boost funding for anti-AIDS and antipoverty programs in Africa, blah,
blah, blah, we hear bandmates Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. headed
for the Canadian border after the Tuesday show.

And who could blame them? It was a Beautiful Day in Toronto yesterday -
sunny and in the high 60s!

But back in Boston, The Edge didn't exactly have A Room at the
Heartbreak Hotel. The wool-capped Dubliner took refuge from the rain at
the Ritz-Carlton Boston Common.

All four rockers will be back at the FleetCenter tonight for their
second sold-out show and are expected to stay put until after their
Saturday night gig. Party, party, party . . .

-from the Boston Herald

Just don't mix up your like of Condi's boots with her politics.

Like Bono, you can accept someone as a person, but revile their polititcal stance which results in the deaths of thousands of people yearly from lack of sufficient international aid.

Gotta love Bono....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

kellyahern said:
d941aab1.jpg

Gah, Bono's even got the "pollie handshake" down pat!

Yes, I know I know why he was there and I know he's doing a most worthwhile job, but seeing pictures like this make me :barf: It's the fact he needs to have continual meetings with the Bush admin to get things to change that make me shudder. And I don't care if Condi wears rubber and carries a whip, let alone spiky boots, she is fucking evil! :mad:

yup. yup. she's a psychopath, of you ask me. seems a few of those are running around the administration as well... *cough*

in fact, i fear her more than Bush.

my dislike for her has to do with a lot more reasons than her stance on something not helping the Africa issue. the whole iraq war thing, her evil cold hearted bitchy ways, the woman is just evil evil and evil. i truly dont feel she has a soul.

however, oddly.. she does seem kinda happy seeing bono, but he looks kinda of non-thrilled or something.. not sure whats up with that. LOL

I think seeing Bono cozying up to Rice is even more appalling than having him do the same with Jesse Helms or Bill O'Reilly. Rice is nothing more than a lackey for the racist, sexist, white men who run the Bush administration from behind the scenes. She is there to try and give Bush credibility with women and African-Americans. She has no real power. The fact that she is apparently an intelligent woman, but allows herself to be used like that by this truly despicable administration is something that I just find disgusting. She chose ambition over scruples. She is not to be admired.

I know that Bono feels the need to try and work with these people because, unfortunately, they have the power right now, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

FEELINNUMB said:

I dont think the conversation was meant to revolve around Condis appearance, it just turned out that way, but I know that all of us who are well aware of our world know/or can guess the reason Bono met with her and that excites me because I know Bono will fear no one to get the word out of what is important!! End Poverty, and yes he might have to make more than one visit to get the message across, he has been doing it, he knows what it takes, there is no stopping him!!
He would meet with Satan himself if he needed to!
Bono does not care if the person is Democrat or Republican, it is not going to stop him from making his way into the White House and doing what is his passionate work for the needy!!
Yeah we might comment of his clothes or hers ect ((like we always do)) but I doubt that any of us are oblivious to why he made that visit...

It does not sadden me nor do I see Mother Theresa and Hitler:rolleyes: I see Our Wonderful Bono doing what he has always done ((meet with the conservative Republicans))
I see a Great man doing great work!! and God bless him, for
that!....Oh yeah, and I LOVE that purple shirt on him:drool:

Last edited:
I lurked in PLEBA long before I registered, and I'm very familiar with the tendency at times to superimpose the U2 glow, if you will, on those associated with them or photographed with them, whether there is any basis in reality for it or not.

This is not about made-of-cake liberal sensitivity -- I have worked to help bring justice to sub-Saharan Africa and to arrest the AIDS pandemic, on the grassroots level and to hostile audiences that didn't give a damn about my boots or show any interest in how cute I am when I remove my shades, and I know, not by proxy but by practice, that you have to dance with the devil. I thought I made that clear in my original post. It is the interpretation of Bono's handshaking that concerns me.

This is not about party politics or any of those ridiculous labels -- this group in power now,whatever they choose to call themselves, is simply evil. Most of the misery in these nations belongs at the doorsteps of the pharmaceuticals, and they are the feared darlings of the Bush Administration. I've dealt with these people -- they are power mad and power hungry; liars and manipulators, greedy textbook sociopaths. They intimidate the Catholic Church! Have you ever seen Bono take them on? Good ol' Mama Oprah? They are completely out of control. And the American people had better wake up to that. In fact, even if Bono gets everything he wants from these governments, it will come down to what it always comes down to: more corporate welfare. Another government subsidy of the pharmaceuticals. But that's what it is going to take to save lives, put the brakes on so much misery and suffering. Ain't that something?

So you see, dear, Condi doesn't "rock," and the regular fashion talk should wait for Beyonce's next appearance. Talking about "Condi" and fashion is like screaming out, "wow, are those PRADA?" while the stormtroopers are kicking your grandmother. Bono has to do what Bono has to do, but keep in mind, Condi and Georgy and Billy Fristy and Dicky Cheney don't rock, they, like, suck. I know you could care less about upsetting me, but for the love of God, THINK OF EDGE!!!

Back
Top Bottom