Bono at 10th Anniv Good Friday Agreement Event in Dublin 04/11/2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2jesusgirl

Daisy
Dreaming Beneath the Desert Sky of Arizona
U2's Bono arrives at Dublin Castle to mark the tenth anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement in Dublin, Ireland on April 11, 2008. The event, will be attended by over 200 guests including former US Senator George Mitchell, former Northern Irish politician John Hume, and Irish rockers Bob Geldof and Bono. The Taoiseach will take the opportunity to honour Mr Blair for his contribution to bringing lasting peace to Northern Ireland.

dl1.jpg

Thank you u2jesusgirl! That really needed to come with a little warning though. :wink: Looking sharp.

u2jesusgirl said:
U2's Bono arrives at Dublin Castle to mark the tenth anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement in Dublin, Ireland on April 11, 2008. The event, will be attended by over 200 guests including former US Senator George Mitchell, former Northern Irish politician John Hume, and Irish rockers Bob Geldof and Bono. The Taoiseach will take the opportunity to honour Mr Blair for his contribution to bringing lasting peace to Northern Ireland.

dl1.jpg

Thanks JG for all these wonderful new pictures of Bono on this very important day for Ireland.:wink:

Did anyone find any of the news reports about today in Dublin?

It would be GREAT to hear/see Bono's comments above. :sexywink:

THANK YOU for the new pictures! I'm so glad so see Bono was at this event. I LOVE the purple scarf and it's good to see he's actually wearing a matching tie this time. Yay for the longer hair.
Hope there will be some more pictures from this event, I'd love to see Bob Geldof, too.

Blair Honoured For Peace Commitment
By Sky News SkyNews - 2 hours 30 minutes ago

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/skynews/20080412/tuk-blair-honoured-for-peace-commitment-45dbed5.html

Tony Blair has been honoured in Dublin for his role in helping to secure lasting peace in Northern Ireland.

(Advertisement)
On the 10th anniversary of the signing of the Good Friday Agreement, the Irish prime minister, Bertie Ahern, hosted a special dinner in Dublin Castle to pay tribute to the man he said "had given tirelessly of himself to bring to an end decades of suffering and bloodshed."

Both men were central to the lengthy negotiations which culminated in that historic deal in April 1998.

It formed the basis for establishing a power-sharing government in Belfast but Mr Ahern said Mr Blair never wavered in his commitment to bringing the tough talks to a successful conclusion.

"He gave so, so much of his time," Mr Ahern said, "and he had to keep giving of his time because every time we seemed to be taking a step forward, there was a step backwards."

But the benefits of Tony Blair's dedication are now there for all to see, he said.

"I can say with confidence," Mr Ahern said, "that there's never been a time when the relationship between Ireland and Britain, between north and south and between unionist and republican has been better. For that, we owe so much to Tony Blair."

When the former Prime Minister arrived at the gala dinner in Dublin Castle, his close relationship with Bertie Ahern was once again on show.

They greeted each other warmly and chatted comfortably in front of the gathered media. Tony Blair would later describe the Taoiseach as his "great friend and partner and ally in peace".

Guests at the gala dinner included Sir Bob Geldof and U2 frontman, Bono, who praised Mr Blair's skill as a negotiator.

"It's rare for politicians to be great listeners and I think Tony Blair is a great listener," said Bono.

He added: "And Bertie Ahern is a great listener. That is the kind of unusual thing that wins in difficult negotiations."

He also reflected on how the political situation has changed in Ireland in recent years.

"As someone growing up in Dublin in the 1970s, the idea that Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness would be seen giggling together like two old schoolmates was the stuff of strange fiction.

"Now we're celebrating this fiction becoming fact and I think that is an incredible achievement by Bertie Ahern and Tony Blair."

Similar sentiment was expressed by the man who chaired the Good Friday Agreement talks, US senator George Mitchell, who also travelled to Dublin for the event.

"I'm absolutely certain that without the personal efforts of both men, there would not have been a settlement," he said.

Since that settlement was signed and a new government installed in Northern Ireland, Mr Blair and Mr Ahern's circumstances have changed. Mr Blair has left Downing Street and Bertie Ahern will step down as Taoiseach next month.

Mr Blair has assumed a new role as a Middle East peace envoy and it is expected the Irish prime minister will not have a shortage of job offers.

It has even been suggested he could end up working with fellow Irishman, Bob Geldof, on an international anti-poverty campaign.

Whatever happens, Tony Blair is sure of one thing: "There is no job this man could not do well. He has been a great Taoiseach and whatever he does in the future he will do it with the same skill."

Back
Top Bottom