Bono Arrives In Africa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thankyou said:

How does he do it? He looks terrific! Not even tired. Maybe it's just like they say, what goes around comes around. When you dish out :heart: to others, it comes back to you. His face seems to reflect that. I hope he has felt it from being surrounded by people who surely love him for what he's doing for them. He so deserves it.

:heart: :up:

ruffian said:

While Bono's celebrity might make struggles in Africa more "popular," only good can come from the heightened awareness. Abject poverty is nothing new, after all. Would it be better to have NO media attention (that was certainly the case with war in Rwanda, in the early stages)? And even if Bono never gave a penny out of his pocket, he's using his celebrity as capital to encourage policymakers to relieve debt. So far, his campaigning has resulted in hundreds of millions of dollars in debt relief.

Changing policy is a helluva lot better than donating money, in my opinion...it's about creating structural change and ultimately building economic infrastructure that will allow struggling nations to get on their feet and NOT be dependent on aid.

And of course, what Bono gives (financially) or does not give is no one's business.

Well said Ruff :applaud: :love: :bow:

My thoughts exactly

thankyou said:

How does he do it? He looks terrific! Not even tired. Maybe it's just like they say, what goes around comes around. When you dish out :heart: to others, it comes back to you. His face seems to reflect that. I hope he has felt it from being surrounded by people who surely love him for what he's doing for them. He so deserves it.

Thank you for the great pics one4u2!! :bow:
They're awesome! :bow:

Soooooo very true, the beauty of his giving of his time and energy is surely a reflection on his appearence.:wink:

girlhappy said:
And i always wonder:How much money he gave out of his pocket ?

If you really knew, would it impress you?? :ohmy:

How many $'s does Bono or anyone else have to give before you finally give of yourself??

Why would anyone need to know this to help someone else? :shrug:

You are shallow. IMO. and that's very sad..:|

And i always wonder:How much money he gave out of his pocket ?
just my opinion.

Of course, you're entitled to your own opinion...

As Bono is a little familiar with Scripture, I'm sure he's heard of this particular section:

"'Take care! Don't do your good deeds publicly, to be admired, because then you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven. When you give a gift to someone in need, don't shout about it as the hypocrites do--blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets to call attention to their acts of charity! I assure you, they have received all the reward they will ever get. But when you give to someone, don't tell your left hand what your right hand is doing. Give your gifts in secret, and your Father, who knows all secrets, will reward you.'"--Matthew 6:1-4

It's really none of our business how much (if any) money Bono donates to charity. That's between him and God. :)

Like ruffian said, the most important thing is changing policy so that the people who are suffering can get some real changes in their lives. Throwing money at the problem isn't going to solve the issues in the long run. I'm sure Bono knows that, too.

girlhappy said:
Oh,please, people, as much as i love and appriciate u2,,,,comments like....glad that Bono had some fun in Africa etc....
Like..he said himself:i have time and money to do this.
The other thing i dont like is all that noise around him.He could have done it in more qiuet way if you ask me.And i always wonder:How much money he gave out of his pocket ?
just my opinion.

Girlhappy, based on these comments I wonder if you really understand the point of what Bono and Ali are doing in Africa right now? Have you read EDUN's mission statement? Don't criticize something unless you really know what you're criticizing to begin with.

Bono and Ali are in Africa to promote investment in local economies and sustainable business. How many times does Bono have to say "this is not about charity, this is about justice" until people really get it? His involvement with EDUN, One, Jeffrey Sachs....that has NOTHING to do with charity or how much money people give to the poor. Giving money to people DOES NOT HELP THEM IN THE LONG TERM. I don't mean to preach, but yours is only one of hundreds of similar comments I've read/heard recently and it's sad that people just don't get it.

I've told this story several times, but for me it was a helpful analogy so maybe it will be for you: When I was in Tanzania I met a man who got AIDS in 1991. He lives in a rural farming village. There is one road to this village, and I know from personal experience it is basically impassable via car. Anyway, this man doesn't have a car, or even a bicycle. Now, thanks to a lack of separation of church and state in Tanzania, the local government gave money and drugs to religious organizations who are better at getting aid to people who need it. So, this man Paul, he lived for TEN YEARS with AIDS with no treatment, even though he was eligable for free medications and aid from the government. Why does this relate to people looking at Bono's work in terms of charity? Because once Paul received on free goat, a GOAT, not any money or medicine, he was able to start selling milk, and then he was able to buy a bicycle, and THEN he was able to get to the hospital to pick up his medications. Once he started feeling better, he was able to work more, and properly care for his family.

The point: the "we are the world, save the Poor Suffering People of Africa" mentality of the 1980s doesn't work anymore. Money has gone to waste and donated food has literally rotted because the local economies cannot even support the proper distribution of aid and charity.

What Bono is doing is helping to promote economic growth, not one-time charitable giving. I could've given Paul all of my spending money, but what would he have done with it? The economy in his area is so underdeveloped, there's not even a store nearby where he could spend donated money. Africans are not poor, helpless sub-humans that are incapable of caring for themselves without charity donations from white westerners. They are perfectly capable of running their own business and growing their own crops.

All Bono and Ali are saying is that if Africa was allowed to be included in global markets, instead of normal people like us continually starting small business or reinvesting in Western organizations, Africa would be able to pull itself out of their economic blackhole. Giving charity money solves nothing. It's sad, but it's true. People want to blindly give money, but in reality the infrastructure in most of Africa is almost non-existant so the effective distribution of aid and charity is impossible. Why not solve BOTH of these problems at once?

Honestly, I'd rather have Bono reinvesting all his money into EDUN as capital, because it's obvious that charity doesn't work. People have been donating money to Africa for decades and their only worse off for it.

People keep pressuring others to donate money to the Global Fund. But recently, one of my professors asked if anyone would be interested in working with him to setup a connection between the US and a local Maasai jewelry market in Tanzania. So think for yourself, which is better in the long run? Me donating $100 to the Global Fund, or me using $100 to setup a business where I help sell Maasai jewelry in the US, opening up a new market for them so that they can continuously make money.

Last edited:
aislinn said:

Of course, you're entitled to your own opinion...

As Bono is a little familiar with Scripture, I'm sure he's heard of this particular section:

"'Take care! Don't do your good deeds publicly, to be admired, because then you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven. When you give a gift to someone in need, don't shout about it as the hypocrites do--blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets to call attention to their acts of charity! I assure you, they have received all the reward they will ever get. But when you give to someone, don't tell your left hand what your right hand is doing. Give your gifts in secret, and your Father, who knows all secrets, will reward you.'"--Matthew 6:1-4

It's really none of our business how much (if any) money Bono donates to charity. That's between him and God. :)

Like ruffian said, the most important thing is changing policy so that the people who are suffering can get some real changes in their lives. Throwing money at the problem isn't going to solve the issues in the long run. I'm sure Bono knows that, too.

Very well put!!!:up:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Girlhappy, based on these comments I wonder if you really understand the point of what Bono and Ali are doing in Africa right now? Have you read EDUN's mission statement? Don't criticize something unless you really know what you're criticizing to begin with.

Bono and Ali are in Africa to promote investment in local economies and sustainable business. How many times does Bono have to say "this is not about charity, this is about justice" until people really get it? His involvement with EDUN, One, Jeffrey Sachs....that has NOTHING to do with charity or how much money people give to the poor. Giving money to people DOES NOT HELP THEM IN THE LONG TERM. I don't mean to preach, but yours is only one of hundreds of similar comments I've read/heard recently and it's sad that people just don't get it.

I've told this story several times, but for me it was a helpful analogy so maybe it will be for you: When I was in Tanzania I met a man who got AIDS in 1991. He lives in a rural farming village. There is one road to this village, and I know from personal experience it is basically impassable via car. Anyway, this man doesn't have a car, or even a bicycle. Now, thanks to a lack of separation of church and state in Tanzania, the local government gave money and drugs to religious organizations who are better at getting aid to people who need it. So, this man Paul, he lived for TEN YEARS with AIDS with no treatment, even though he was eligable for free medications and aid from the government. Why does this relate to people looking at Bono's work in terms of charity? Because once Paul received on free goat, a GOAT, not any money or medicine, he was able to start selling milk, and then he was able to buy a bicycle, and THEN he was able to get to the hospital to pick up his medications. Once he started feeling better, he was able to work more, and properly care for his family.

The point: the "we are the world, save the Poor Suffering People of Africa" mentality of the 1980s doesn't work anymore. Money has gone to waste and donated food has literally rotted because the local economies cannot even support the proper distribution of aid and charity.

What Bono is doing is helping to promote economic growth, not one-time charitable giving. I could've given Paul all of my spending money, but what would he have done with it? The economy in his area is so underdeveloped, there's not even a store nearby where he could spend donated money. Africans are not poor, helpless sub-humans that are incapable of caring for themselves without charity donations from white westerners. They are perfectly capable of running their own business and growing their own crops.

All Bono and Ali are saying is that if Africa was allowed to be included in global markets, instead of normal people like us continually starting small business or reinvesting in Western organizations, Africa would be able to pull itself out of their economic blackhole. Giving charity money solves nothing. It's sad, but it's true. People want to blindly give money, but in reality the infrastructure in most of Africa is almost non-existant so the effective distribution of aid and charity is impossible. Why not solve BOTH of these problems at once?

Honestly, I'd rather have Bono reinvesting all his money into EDUN as capital, because it's obvious that charity doesn't work. People have been donating money to Africa for decades and their only worse off for it.

People keep pressuring others to donate money to the Global Fund. But recently, one of my professors asked if anyone would be interested in working with him to setup a connection between the US and a local Maasai jewelry market in Tanzania. So think for yourself, which is better in the long run? Me donating $100 to the Global Fund, or me using $100 to setup a business where I help sell Maasai jewelry in the US, opening up a new market for them so that they can continuously make money.

very cool - you rock :rockon:

not to mention you know how to set up cameras for idiots :D

What Bono is giving to the people of Africa is worth so much more than mere dollar bills. In Bono's own words today from:

http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2006-05-22T021837Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-250367-1.xml&archived=False
He said in many cases aid had done more harm than good in Africa and it was important to create opportunities for the continent to help itself through more trade.

"The West really has to understand that Africans don't want aid, they need aid, and what Africa desires and what (it) deserves is trade as a route out of their present difficulties," he said.

"Africans may be more sick of AIDS, TB and malaria but they are plenty sick of aid," he added.

01Nigeria06-2.jpg

01Nigeria06-1.jpg

"Slowdown my beating heart!!:heart:........:combust:...........:drool:

Ok Sorry to be sort of off topic, but if someone's mentioned this just let me know

Is it just a coincidence that he's wearing a red watch or is that something to be seen in the future?

Very well said! :up:

I hope to go to Africa one day to see this beautiful country and help out any way I can. Sometimes I feel a bit helpless when I see what is happening over there.

arw9797 said:

Why should he be quiet about doing something like this? The more people know about what's going on in Africa the more likely they are to help out. For example, I think it's great that the nightly news this week will have a feature with Bono. It's another way for more people to find out the help that Africa needs. I know for my generation, I was in elementary school when the first Live Aid took place. A lot of my friends thought that after Live Aid and songs like "We Are the World" that Africa's problems were solved. After these events in the mid 80's, we never really heard about anything from Africa so most people assumed all is well. I personally prefer the way Bono is going about this as opposed to him staying quiet and doing this without a lot of people knowing about it. I'm not sure what day he's going to be on the news but I can tell you that the day after, I will go to work and at least 10 people will come up to me and ask if I knew that Bono was on TV and then proceed to tell me they had no idea that Africa was in that bad of shape. Happens everytime........

Bono said in an interview with Dave Fanning last year something to the affect that he doesn't like to talk about where he gives his money to or how much because then it's not charity anymore.

I really think Bono has given enough of himself to Africa. Whether he's given them money or not is his business, not ours. He's done a lot more than most people are willing to do. I don't care if he's never given them a single penny of his own money. He's given up time with his family, time with U2, time for himself to go around the world trying to get people to listen to the needs of a country that is desperate for help.

Well said!! :applaud:

Great post... I always enjoy your insight! :applaud:

bono_212 said:
Ok Sorry to be sort of off topic, but if someone's mentioned this just let me know

Is it just a coincidence that he's wearing a red watch or is that something to be seen in the future?
We don't know yet, I think it's been generally assumed though, that it's a RED product that will probably be coming in the future.

Hmm... if I recall correctly, months ago when the first RED products (the American Express card, the Armani shades, the Converse shoes, etc.) were announced, in some of the photos, didn't it look like there was something red in his pocket that may have been the RED phone that was so recently introduced?

Another though, on the NBC Nightly News segment, they mentioned coffee beans being produced in Rwanda which would be sold to Starbucks. Now wouldn't it be awesome if Starbucks used those beans to make a RED coffee? It could be raspberry flavoured or something... I dunno, I don't drink coffee :p but I'd buy one for my mom :D

And to Lies :up: post of the year!

dreamoutloud13, sorry to be off topic, but were you ever a poster on the coldplay forum? i vaguely remember someone telling me from that forum that they also hung out here and that their username was something like dreamoutloud....
=)

tuwie said:
dreamoutloud13, sorry to be off topic, but were you ever a poster on the coldplay forum? i vaguely remember someone telling me from that forum that they also hung out here and that their username was something like dreamoutloud....
=)
Oh god, no. I don't listen to Coldplay (and some of my friends could tell you that I'm rather vocal about it! :lol:)

Brian Williams' blog (well really, it belongs to everyone at the Nightly News, but whatever) has been updated:

http://dailynightly.msnbc.com/2006/05/bono_brian_head.html#below-fold

It turns out the man who created Zoo TV and made mirror balls cool again is pretty at ease in front of a camera in Africa. After his performance last week at our afternoon editorial meeting (noted by Brian in his Friday post), we asked U2 front man Bono to tell our cameras why he's so inspired by the continent and raising millions of dollars and awareness to forigve debt, fight HIV/AIDS, and end poverty there.

Click here to watch Bono's video blog from Tanzania. It's 3 minutes, 22 seconds, straight from the heart. For those of you who don't have Windows Media Player, I've included a transcript below.

Brian will join up with Bono Monday and travel to Abuja, Nigeria, and Bamako, Mali, as the humanitarian rock star assesses the progress of the relief organizations, DATA and ONE, with whom he is working in Africa.

Link to the streaming video:

http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?g=9cf2d050-1dea-4b98-97f3-97163d95a415&f=00&fg=copy

The transcript can be found by clicking the first link (the blog entry) and scrolling down past the part I quoted.

bono_212 said:

My guess would be that its something that we will see more about in the future, i don’t think its like Bono to wear a watch. Is it?

DreamOutLoud13 said:

And to Lies :up: post of the year!

Thanks you guys. I appreciate knowing others understand what I'm saying. And I don't mean to sound like it's something you can't understand unless you experience it, but I can honestly say that spending time studying development IN Africa changed my perspectives on everything. Not really so much my overall outlook, but after that trip I re-prioritized things because things I'd overlooked before I then realized had a HUGE impact on third world development. I'd taken several courses in economics, political science, and third world development studies before the trip, but now when I post on these topics, I'm mainly drawing off my experience from that trip, not what I read in books or heard in lecture. It's an amazing place. I encourage everyone to go if you have the chance.

And I apologize to girlhappy, I didn't meant to attack you personally. I guess I just made a whipping boy out of that post in general because it reflects the attitudes of so many of my relatives and peers. That, and I've had a terrible migraine all day.

Thanks so much for the link to the video DreamOutLoud! That was wonderful. If anyone can save that, I'd love to have it. Thanks :)

thankyou said:

:applaud:

:) Good post.

He was on the local news channel this morning around 7. :hyper: It was the same clip from the link posted earlier. After that there was a little talk show type of thing where they had some people from local agencies talk about Bono and his work in Africa. One of them said there hasn't been a man who has done as much for the continent as Bono has. He said there isn't a big enough 'thank you' for him. That made me proud to be a fan, for the umpteenth time! :)

Waking up at 7 was worth it to see this.

don't know if this info was already posted:

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=68&art_id=qw1148246103361B216

U2 frontman urges Africa to tackle corruption

May 22 2006 at 12:16AM

By Lesley Wroughton

Abuja, Nigeria - Irish rock star and activist Bono, pressing wealthy nations to keep their aid promises to Africa, said on Sunday the continent needs to tackle corruption, the single biggest obstacle to more investment.

With pledges by the industrial nations to double aid by 2010, Bono cautioned that unless corruption was tackled the goodwill of industrialised nations could dissipate.

"There is a window of opportunity but it could close if things like the corruption issue are not tackled or the peer review mechanisms are not felt to be real," he told reporters travelling with him before addressing African finance ministers in the Nigerian capital of Abuja.

"I'll go further and say that the single biggest obstacle to business and the renewal of the economies in the south is corruption and the single biggest obstacle to getting start-up money for those businesses, if you want to look at aid as investment, is corruption," he added.

He said taxpayers in developed nations were also demanding more accountability from their own political leaders to ensure that money going to Africa was properly used.

Bono said it was an "over-simplification of Africa to think of all African countries as corrupt".

He said in many cases aid had done more harm than good in Africa and it was important to create opportunities for the continent to help itself through more trade.

"The West really has to understand that Africans don't want aid, they need aid, and what Africa desires and what (it) deserves is trade as a route out of their present difficulties," he said.

"Africans may be more sick of Aids, TB and malaria but they are plenty sick of aid," he added.

Seeing the pics, Bono literally glows. As thankyou said, what he is within reflects on his face. He is doing good and its showing, it comes back. He looks terrific! :love: Again, what a man....

Africans are not poor, helpless sub-humans that are incapable of caring for themselves without charity donations from white westerners. They are perfectly capable of running their own business and growing their own crops.

Lies, your entire post was really great, but this... :yes: So true - this is actually the essence of it all! :up:

I agree that donations in most cases, even in emergecies and disasters, make more damage than they do good. Especially in the field of medicine (which is what I know most about) - the Tsunami in South East Asia was an extreme example of this...

Thanks for pics, links and everything to everyone who has posted! :D:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom