Bono Arrives In Africa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
one4u2 said:
d685afed.jpg
He looks so small in the middle of that big bed by himself. Like a little kid :cute:

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/africa/article549513.ece

"Fresh from his day in the editor's chair on Monday, Bono flew to Johannesburg, but he was initially barred from entering South Africa. The reason: so extensively has he been travelling the world to whip up support for debt relief, increased aid and fairer trade terms for Africa, he didn't have a blank page left in his passport. A quick call to Nelson Mandela solved the problem, and the rock star and his entourage were waved through. "

It's always those little details that get you....glad he was able to call on a friend for help!

I laughed so hard today when I read about Bono having no more blank pages in his passport. These stories just show how much this man is travelling and working. And simply calling up Nelson Mandela to help him out - that's hilarious. Thank you for all the pictures, they are great. How does Bono's schedule look for the next days? I guess it's one country a day? I hope he takes care of himself.

Oh,please, people, as much as i love and appriciate u2,,,,comments like....glad that Bono had some fun in Africa etc....
Like..he said himself:i have time and money to do this.
The other thing i dont like is all that noise around him.He could have done it in more qiuet way if you ask me.And i always wonder:How much money he gave out of his pocket ?
just my opinion.

girlhappy, I believe you misunderstood my comment. Bono is first and foremost on a serious trip.

The pictures, news stories and next week's NBC Nightly News coverage are no doubt there to call attention not to him, but to what he's seeing while he's there.

girlhappy said:
Oh,please, people, as much as i love and appriciate u2,,,,comments like....glad that Bono had some fun in Africa etc....
The other thing i dont like is all that noise around him.He could have done it in more qiuet way if you ask me.And i always wonder:How much money he gave out of his pocket ?
just my opinion.

While Bono's celebrity might make struggles in Africa more "popular," only good can come from the heightened awareness. Abject poverty is nothing new, after all. Would it be better to have NO media attention (that was certainly the case with war in Rwanda, in the early stages)? And even if Bono never gave a penny out of his pocket, he's using his celebrity as capital to encourage policymakers to relieve debt. So far, his campaigning has resulted in hundreds of millions of dollars in debt relief.

Changing policy is a helluva lot better than donating money, in my opinion...it's about creating structural change and ultimately building economic infrastructure that will allow struggling nations to get on their feet and NOT be dependent on aid.

And of course, what Bono gives (financially) or does not give is no one's business.

ruffian said:

While Bono's celebrity might make struggles in Africa more "popular," only good can come from the heightened awareness. Abject poverty is nothing new, after all. Would it be better to have NO media attention (that was certainly the case with war in Rwanda, in the early stages)? And even if Bono never gave a penny out of his pocket, he's using his celebrity as capital to encourage policymakers to relieve debt. So far, his campaigning has resulted in hundreds of millions of dollars in debt relief.

Changing policy is a helluva lot better than donating money, in my opinion...it's about creating structural change and ultimately building economic infrastructure that will allow struggling nations to get on their feet and NOT be dependent on aid.

And of course, what Bono gives (financially) or does not give is no one's business.

AMEN TO THAT SISTER!! :wink: :bow: and hiya Ruff! :wave:

girlhappy said:
just my opinion.

Why should he be quiet about doing something like this? The more people know about what's going on in Africa the more likely they are to help out. For example, I think it's great that the nightly news this week will have a feature with Bono. It's another way for more people to find out the help that Africa needs. I know for my generation, I was in elementary school when the first Live Aid took place. A lot of my friends thought that after Live Aid and songs like "We Are the World" that Africa's problems were solved. After these events in the mid 80's, we never really heard about anything from Africa so most people assumed all is well. I personally prefer the way Bono is going about this as opposed to him staying quiet and doing this without a lot of people knowing about it. I'm not sure what day he's going to be on the news but I can tell you that the day after, I will go to work and at least 10 people will come up to me and ask if I knew that Bono was on TV and then proceed to tell me they had no idea that Africa was in that bad of shape. Happens everytime........

Bono said in an interview with Dave Fanning last year something to the affect that he doesn't like to talk about where he gives his money to or how much because then it's not charity anymore.

I really think Bono has given enough of himself to Africa. Whether he's given them money or not is his business, not ours. He's done a lot more than most people are willing to do. I don't care if he's never given them a single penny of his own money. He's given up time with his family, time with U2, time for himself to go around the world trying to get people to listen to the needs of a country that is desperate for help.

exactly! :yes: whether he gives any of his money IS NOT THE POINT HERE!!! It is the work he is doing that matters more than anything! For me I could care less if I knew whether he gave any money and how much. You can't put a price on the time and work and words expressed by him that he contributes to these beautiful people of africa.

Also (and beside the fact that it IS none of our business anyways...) wasn't he just on some list of the top most generous celebrities (for giving to charity).... can't remember where I just read that...

girlhappy said:
just my opinion.

Well, I do believe that the noise around him is what the AIDS and poverty projects need so much. Apart from the money, which I am sure he does give to charities, his image is very precious if you think about it. People know that he's there and talk about that, but if he wasn't there who would tell about the factory in Lesotho or stuff like that? Personally I find it nice that he gives his own time for this, because it is more valuable than simply giving money. This is my opinion, of course. I don't post here often because my job doesn't leave me much time, but I felt I should write this. I work in a surgery which offers free assistance for foreign people who are in need, and one of my best friends from medical school is in Africa for a project for fighting AIDS. We talked about this several times and if we could find a celebrity who would give his face for free to support our projects we would be more than happy... Therefore I am more than happy to see comments about Bono in Africa, and also to see he can have some fun while there. He's doing something good. Why shouldn't he have some fun aswell?

I really think Bono is wise not to talk about how much money he is donating. People who do that are normally accused of bragging very easily. You can be sure that he is giving, I just don't think that exact amounts are anyone's business but his own.

girlhappy said:
just my opinion.

Being quiet about the issues is what gets the issues to such a bad point. many people pay attention to causes because he is talking about them, why is that bad?
There have been many trips he has made that have never been publicised. As for how much money he gives, a. as has been said, it is more than most and none of our business and b. his time is much more valuable, as is most peoples', than money. It is easy to throw money at a problem from your couch and laptop, going out and volunteering time is a lot harder. It is difficult enough to get people to get up and give money, much less the time to implement that money and actually put it to the use it is meant for, why be hard on someone like Bono, who does both, for doing both??
So he should just be miserable all the time? How can he not enjoy seeing the happiness his work has brought to several of the people he is trying to help?
I have to wonder how much money and time you give that puts you in a position to judge his good works and deeds and how he carries them out.
Respectfully
m

Bono gets enough "noise and attention" just by being part of U2 alone. I'm sure the last reason on earth he does his work in Africa is to get more of what he easily can get by just appearing on a stage and singing some songs. (actually, all he has to do is walk down a street and he can get the very same effect too :wink: )
He's working very hard and making all the noise he can to make sure the issues in africa are not forgotten or end up on the back burner again, as they often do eventually. Bottom line: he cares.

I can't help but think that if we were to list the hours and hours of behind the scene work that goes along with him showing up in africa for 10 days, it would boggle our mind. There is so much more than just showing up, but being informed, educated and up to date on all the information related to every single individual country, it's particular history, economy and politics, factories, businesses, clinics he visits, etc....... the list is endless.
Franky, I get exhausted just thinking about the energy he has put into Africa's issues. You gotta love him for it.

Last edited:
it still makes me wonder, why do people always ask how much he gives them?
in money, we don't know, and it doesn't matter either! Why do you even care how much money he gives them?
The debt relief is a lot of money, and he sure has a part in it... and the time and passion he has about Africa shows that Bono's serious, and it's not just to crank up his status! why wouldn't he want to give what he cares for attention? Is it wrong to bring something that needs attention under attention? Is it wrong for a filthy rich rock star to try and actually do something GOOD for this world instead of lounching in the pacific on some island?
I'm so sick of people lately, bashing Bono and Bob Geldof for their work... why can't they pick on somebody who IS doing nothing instead of picking on people who are very passionate and caring about this?

I quite agree with you GG. Well said
They ought to be picking on some of the strange people who
have become "famous" just because they happen to have been
in a reality TV show like "Big Brother" here on Channel 4 in the UK for doing precisely nothing!
love
Heather:)

Thanks for the pics, they are really nice. Arusha is a city in the mountains, in the north of the country while Dar is well over 300 miles away, on the coast. :| Oh well. Perhaps next time... if I'm here when he is. Of course, there is always Hawaii! :)

Babydoll said:
Thanks for the pics, they are really nice. Arusha is a city in the mountains, in the north of the country while Dar is well over 300 miles away, on the coast. :| Oh well. Perhaps next time... if I'm here when he is. Of course, there is always Hawaii! :)

Babydoll, has there been much reaction to/awareness of Bono's visit within Tanzania? You obviously know about it because you're a fan, but has there been much made of it in the press, etc? If so, how has it been portrayed?

ruffian said:

Ruff I :heart: you! :bow:

biff said:

Babydoll, has there been much reaction to/awareness of Bono's visit within Tanzania? You obviously know about it because you're a fan, but has there been much made of it in the press, etc? If so, how has it been portrayed?

Actually, now that you mention it - not as much as I expected. I have been getting a little information, mainly because I've been scouring everywhere like crazy for it, but there isn't as big a deal made out of it as I expected. The national newspapers have a tiny bit of info, but it's not splashed all over the media. The local city newspapers - I live in Dar - don't have much, perhaps because he isn't coming here. I expect the local English-language newspapers from Arusha would probably have a tiny bit.... but not so much.... The vast majority of the population here have never heard of U2!

That's pretty much what I had imagined. I remember Bono commenting that one of the reasons why he loves Africa so much is that he can "disappear" there. He can just wander off into a crowd and recapture the feeling of not being famous, as no one knows who he is.

one4u2 said:
Bono arrives in Nigeria's capital Abuja, May 21, 2006, during a six-nation tour of Africa.

4bbf7c25.jpg

How does he do it? He looks terrific! Not even tired. Maybe it's just like they say, what goes around comes around. When you dish out :heart: to others, it comes back to you. His face seems to reflect that. I hope he has felt it from being surrounded by people who surely love him for what he's doing for them. He so deserves it.

Thank you for the great pics one4u2!! :bow:
They're awesome! :bow:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom