Bono And Oprah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina Marie

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
YouTwo.net: Bono featured in February issue of 'O'

January 14, 2002

In the February issue of "O" (Oprah) magazine, there is a
one-page article on Bono and his work with debt and AIDS
relief.

Finally-an actual reason to buy this magazine.
wink.gif

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
lol, can you imagine what that interview would be like?

BONO: *walks out, waving, sits down and hugs Oprah*
OPRAH: Sooo.. you are involved in AIDS and debt relief. Tell us about your work.
BONO: Well-
OPRAH: Want some chocolate cake with cherries, vanilla icing, and raspberry filling?
BONO: Actually, I wanted to talk about AIDS-
OPRAH: Do you want me to paint your toe nails? I have sugary pink, creamy white, and lavendar.
BONO: Errr.. do you have black?
OPRAH: Do you worship Satan?
BONO: No!
OPRAH: Okay, pink it is. *takes off Bono's shoe*
BONO: Like I was saying-
OPRAH: Do you want cotton candy pink with glitter swirls or magenta shimmer?
BONO: .... I give up.

Er.. alright, that wasn't exactly a correct interpretation.
wink.gif

lol.
biggrin.gif

do you know what drives me crazy? how carson daly only paints like three of his finger nails. what's that about? grr.

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not
something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude." -Adam

"And I wear grey underwear." -Bono

Everyday can be a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

It?s cold outside, but brightly lit...

I like Oprah, it's Dr. Phil I can't stand. Dr. Phil is the most self rightous and judgemental therapist I have ever seen. I also find it nauseating that his son has a book about help for teens or something. I refuse to believe that man's life is a wonderful as he claims. Sorry for the rant.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways:
I like Oprah, it's Dr. Phil I can't stand. Dr. Phil is the most self rightous and judgemental therapist I have ever seen. I also find it nauseating that his son has a book about help for teens or something. I refuse to believe that man's life is a wonderful as he claims. Sorry for the rant.
biggrin.gif

I also can't stand that guy! And it seems that everytime I actually tune in to Oprah, he's there. What's with that...? That show has gone down hill and the only thing that could make it go back up hill is if Bono were to appear for say...... about 60 mins or so...... then back down the hill she goes. Don't get me wrong, she has some good topics once in awhile. It was just better before. But enough about that!

BONO!
------------------
Oh great ocean
Oh great sea
Run to the ocean
Run to the sea

[This message has been edited by Can'tSeeOrBeSeen (edited 01-14-2002).]

Cool! We subscribe to O at the school I work for... I guess that issue is just gonna have to "mysteriously" disappear...heh heh heh.

Well, Bono & Oprah have something else in common ( besides genuinely wanting to help people in need), they're both really good friends of "Q"- Quincy Jones.

------------------
"I watched it for a little while... I love to watch things on TV"
~* PLEBA-girl powers: ELEVATE!!! *~

Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75:

if Oprah ends up interviewing Bono, I will commit a crime to get tickets to her show!

Me too!!! A few of us could work together on getting tickets and if we could only get one, the one with the ticket distracts the guards and we all sneak past lol

Originally posted by UV2001:
Me too!!! A few of us could work together on getting tickets and if we could only get one, the one with the ticket distracts the guards and we all sneak past lol

I used to know where Oprah lived in Chicago, but I don't remember if she still lives there, DARN!

------------------
Dana

"I simulate love making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates."
-Adam, when asked, 'If a martian landed and was introduced to you and asked what you do, what would you say?'

IM me: ghettopoptart83

Woo Hoo! I love O magazine!!! (No ... really , I do ... I actually subscribe to it!)

------------------
Jessica

"I turn slightly and catch Bono with half a Perrier bottle in his mouth. He's sucking the thing in such a manner it would put Madonna to shame!"

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

?We make music you can have sex to.?
--Bono

"Girls boys listen me kiss love fun drink sick kiss cuddle sex swim sea rock and rub." (from the gates of Bono's house)

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
woohoo I like Oprah, I hope she has Bono on her show!
smile.gif

thx Gina!

I remember hearing rumours about that a while back.... but then again maybe it was just a dream. That would be amazing if it actually happened.

Thanks for the tip Gina!!!

------------------
Oh great ocean
Oh great sea
Run to the ocean
Run to the sea

Cool, I'm going to have to check that mag out then!!

------------------
"Rhythm is the sex of music" - Edge

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

I remember hearing rumours about that a while back.... but then again maybe it was just a dream. That would be amazing if it actually happened.

lol, can you imagine what that interview would be like?

BONO: *walks out, waving, sits down and hugs Oprah*
OPRAH: Sooo.. you are involved in AIDS and debt relief. Tell us about your work.
BONO: Well-
OPRAH: Want some chocolate cake with cherries, vanilla icing, and raspberry filling?
BONO: Actually, I wanted to talk about AIDS-
OPRAH: Do you want me to paint your toe nails? I have sugary pink, creamy white, and lavendar.
BONO: Errr.. do you have black?
OPRAH: Do you worship Satan?
BONO: No!
OPRAH: Okay, pink it is. *takes off Bono's shoe*
BONO: Like I was saying-
OPRAH: Do you want cotton candy pink with glitter swirls or magenta shimmer?
BONO: .... I give up.

Er.. alright, that wasn't exactly a correct interpretation.
wink.gif

------------------
Official Bono Ego Defender

"Don't call me Shirley." - Larry

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75:

if Oprah ends up interviewing Bono, I will commit a crime to get tickets to her show!

OMD!!!!! Yeah! Oh feckin cool would THAT be?????? To be sittin in that audience when the B-man himself comes struttin out in all his glory....*sigh* Wait, what the feck am I talking about? I wouldn't be sitting if my life depended on it!!!!!
biggrin.gif

*If only I lived near Chicago....plots to get on the Oprah show...maybe a letter to her is in order*

*thinks about how much she doesn't like Dr. Phil
biggrin.gif

------------------
BONO: FOAD, Lawrence. Just FOAD. (LOL, Mona)

You can dream, so dream out loud!

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

ROFL!! Oprah and Carson! I've never really watched Oprah. I like watching Maury, though, and yelling at the screwed-up teenagers and telling them how to fix their lives.

------------------
~*Mona*~ LOVE me, give me SOUL

PLEBA: Saving heterosexuality, one woman at a time.

"What's good enough for Bono is good enough for me" ~Smooth Criminal

You give your life for rock n' roll

Here's the article

The self-conscious rebel-rocker transforms passionate intensity into action that just might change the world.

by Elaina Richardson

The idea of the rebel-rocker is sorely tarnished in these days of "pop lite," but there's nothing sugarcoated about the intensity Bono brings to the world. Consider these few events from the past year in the life of U2's charismatic front man: a sold-out tour; the All That You Can't Leave Behind album went to number one in 32 countries; the birth of his fourth child in May; talks with the leaders of the world's strongest economies?the G8; the death of his father in August; countless one-on-ones about AIDS relief and trade with cabinet officials from Colin Powell to Condoleezza Rice. Where does his stamina come from?

"God made me stubborn," Bono says with a throaty laugh that tells you something about the state of his vocal cords. "Stubbornness and Catholic guilt," he continues. "That'll work for you every time. And I've had the best life that a man's ever had."

This is how Bono talks?long strings of run-on sentences that can encompass pub life, the AIDS pandemic in Africa, blues guitar and a healthy dose of self-deprecation. The bottom line of all his speechifying is that it's time for a major initiative that would combine debt cancellation for the world's poorest nations with trade reform and a commitment from pharmaceutical companies to give free HIV drugs to African countries. Bono spouts numbers effortlessly and accurately, noting that sub-Saharan Africa spends around $13.5 billion a year repaying debts to rich countries, which is more than double what it spends on health care.

His charm lies in the fact that whether he's at an audience with Pope John Paul II or singing "Beautiful Day" for 20,000 fans, his need to communicate is palpable. There was a time when Bono harangued the world, all the while making it clear that he didn't give a damn if he was. A decade later he has learned a more effective path.

"Sometimes, instead of climbing over the barricades, you've got to walk around them, and sometimes you discover that the real enemy is not what you think it is," he says.

That attitude has led to some strange-seeming bedfellows such as Senator Jesse Helms, the 80-year-old archconservative from North Carolina, who became Bono's champion in the struggle to get a debt-relief plan through Congress.

According to Bono, "When I first started going to Washington for meetings on Capitol Hill, I'm sure I looked like a very exotic creature, but eventually they didn't see me, they just saw the argument. And the thing about the pictures of me the rock star with, say, Jesse Helms the politician is?it's really unhip for both of us, you know, it's a bad look for the two of us!"

"I think that politicians are attracted at first by the celebrity," says Harvard economics professor Jeffrey Sachs, "but once they meet him, they find that he is outstandingly capable." Along with producer Bobby Shriver, Sachs became part of Bono's American kitchen cabinet in 1999 in the quest to get debt relief on the agenda. In his Class Day address at Harvard in June, Bono summed up the trio: "Sachs and I, with Bobby Shriver, hit the road like some kind of surreal crossover act. A Rock Star, a Kennedy and a Noted Economist crisscrossing the globe like the Partridge family on psychotropic drugs."

The results have already been impressive: In November of 2000, Congress passed legislation authorizing $435 million in debt relief. Last July, President Bush and the G8 countries focused the debate on issuing grants rather than loans to developing nations, and Bono is sure a lot more is about to happen. "I'm confident that President Bush has a real feeling for the AIDS pandemic. Essentially, what we're asking for is a kind of Marshall Plan for Africa. A few months ago that didn't look like a possibility, but post-September 11, the comparisons are striking. When you have nothing, you are easy prey to terrorists and to groups who keep alive the lie that the West is not interested in your calamity. We've just seen what happens when one country, Afghanistan, implodes. God knows what will happen if the entire continent of Africa is left on its current trajectory, which is disaster."

Born Paul Hewson in Ballymun, Dublin, in 1960 to a Protestant mother and a Catholic father, Bono is no stranger to the links between economic depression, bigotry and terrorism. But he has an idealist's faith that all three can be overcome. The Sandinistas and the troubles in Ireland were Bono's issues when the band came on the scene in 1978. Five years later, Bono was married to his high school girlfriend, Ali Stewart, and both were caught up in Bob Geldof's Live Aid work.

"We went to work in Ethiopia for a month," Bono recalls. "We worked in an orphanage, in one of those awful camps, and we'd wake up in the morning to the sight of thousands of people walking through the mist in the hopes of getting some food. My experience there was very hard to forget but...I did. We went back to our daily life in Ireland and me being in a band, but we'd always hoped we might be able to look at the structure of the problem. There's a certain kind of poverty that is structural, not just misfortune, and so when I heard about this plan to use the millennium as an opportunity to give the poorest countries a chance to start again, I thought, 'This is major, and it's the right thing to do.'"

Four children and 21 years later with Bono, Ali hasn't lost any of her ability to roll up her sleeves either. She is deeply involved with the Chernobyl Children's Project (one of six campaigns highlighted on U2's Web site and on their albums)?she's even getting behind the wheel of a truck to drive from Dublin to Belarus with food and emergency supplies.

"Irish women are very informed and very vocal," Bono says, before releasing his chesty laugh again. "And I should know, because I'm living with one, and it's hard to keep up."

I was so excited to get my O Magazine in the mail yesterday.

The article is awesome ... I think it will be on newsstands by Tuesday. For those who've seen the issue already, look towards the front of the magazine where they do mini profiles of the authors of articles in teh magazine (I am at work right now and can't remember the exact page). In the profile of the woman who interviewed Bono, it said that during the interview, Eve got a nosebleed and Bono couldn't decide whether she should hold her head down or up or whether she should lie down, but that while the whole nosebleed situation was going on, he continued to eloquently speak about debt relief.

------------------
Jessica

"I turn slightly and catch Bono with half a Perrier bottle in his mouth. He's sucking the thing in such a manner it would put Madonna to shame!"

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

?We make music you can have sex to.?
--Bono

"Girls boys listen me kiss love fun drink sick kiss cuddle sex swim sea rock and rub." (from the gates of Bono's house)

wow, Bono in O, cool. Hopefully he?s gonna be in one of her shows as well.

Oprah rocks!

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Booo Oprah.

Yay Bono!

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

*You're very kind. Most people laugh when they see my googly eye.*

+Hilarryous. Oh, it will catch on+

Back
Top Bottom