Bono and exposure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
This one's going to get me in trouble. :laugh: Is Bono getting too much exposure? Don't misunderstand me, folks, I love the guy, I'm on two mailing lists that are for and about him, and no one knows how many pix of the guy are on my disk now, least of all me. (thanks Desire4Bono and others!) There are crabby articles in the press complaining he's been in the news too much and stuff.......a bit like the JT era. I don't know, maybe it's par for the course, but there may be too much spotlight out there, too. "Best of" will come out, then probably it will be wise to wait a bit before they do anything else.
Unless it's to protest the next G8 meeting. There are reports that DATA may be involved in *protest* activities. Hm, interesting.
Oh, yes, and before anyone accuses me of not being interested in the other guys, wait until my next post. I'll prove ya wrong!!:laugh: :laugh: :yes: :yes:

I dunno about the overexposure, but honestly I think when a dissenting post is couched as politely as yours, it ought not be shouted down. Just my 2 cents.

paxetaurora said:
I dunno about the overexposure, but honestly I think when a dissenting post is couched as politely as yours, it ought not be shouted down. Just my 2 cents.

Ah, that's just a joke. If different views weren't tolerated here I wouldn't be here........they are. No sweat! No problems!

Yeah I see what you mean. Me and my friend just got into a fight tonite over the same thing, she saw the issue of Time that I had sitting on the coffee table and she read it and a big fight broke out. But yeah, you put it the nicest way you could about being over exposued :claps:

*Jessica Reads title of thread ... has bad thoughts ... reads thread ... realizes it's not about Bono exposing himself ... Jessica sneaks out of thread

Yes Bono is everywhere, but him becoming an accepted, well known household word all over the world will only help his music career and his political causes because some people will give him time if nothing else than to satisfy their curiosity.

I have one more comment on this, and I hope no one takes offense because I am one of the guiltiest, but- I think the main reason he seems 'overexposed' to us is, because, well, we are seeking out every little pic, news story an tidbit on him. Most of the population does not do that, so he won't seem so exposed to them. More prominent than before, but not really overexposed. We see more because we are LOOKING for it! But so what? It's okay, we love it! ;)

Oh, and if anyone thinks I'm not interested in the other guys, you're right. Bono is the only one I'm into, the only one I think is hot, so fans of other guys you have no competition from me! Other than their musical parts in the band, the other guys just don't do to me what Bono does to me.

Okay, I'm obsessed with Bono! I confess!

Well, the reason I was thinking this was because Bono himself thought he and the guys had overexposed themselves right after R&H and then even during the ZooTV tour. They turned down some invitations to be on TV shows and stuff because they thought it was too much, and I figure they're pretty smart about stuff like this!! It will be interesting to see what they decide to do after the "Best of " release.

GypsyHeartgirl said:

I have one more comment on this, and I hope no one takes offense because I am one of the guiltiest, but- I think the main reason he seems 'overexposed' to us is, because, well, we are seeking out every little pic, news story an tidbit on him. Most of the population does not do that, so he won't seem so exposed to them. More prominent than before, but not really overexposed. We see more because we are LOOKING for it! But so what? It's okay, we love it! ;)

:yes: I totally agree with you! I don't think he's out there as much as we tend to think he is. We hear about him everyday from different sources, but its because we go looking for him. As for the normal population, I don't think he is "over exposed" to them. Sure, they hear about him regularly, but not everyday or anything. And it's not that he is "over exposed" but as GypsyHeartgirl said, he's just prominent. He's doing a lot of good things and is getting press for it. It's not like we see him everyday on a Pepsi commercial or anything:wink:

Oh and yes, I was expecting something else with the title too.....
I was thinking "exposed" in a different way:silent:

I think i hear about bono waaay too much but thats b/c the guy annoys me :silent: i dunno i loike the other members waay more *coughLARRYandADAMcough* :D and id like to hear about them more- he gets all the attention aaaw

Lara Mullen, I don't think the press purposely gives more attention to Bono, think he seeks it more! Bono is always with this and that power figure and at parties and photo ops with other stars. The other guys just don't do things that put them in the public eye so much. Larry is very private and avoids the spotlight. Adam just doesn't do much to draw attention to himself. Bono is the one on the go, and Edge is probably second. It's nothing against Larry and Adam there are not many stories on them, they just stay away from that scene.

Tabby said:
Lara Mullen, I don't think the press purposely gives more attention to Bono, think he seeks it more! Bono is always with this and that power figure and at parties and photo ops with other stars. The other guys just don't do things that put them in the public eye so much. Larry is very private and avoids the spotlight. Adam just doesn't do much to draw attention to himself. Bono is the one on the go, and Edge is probably second. It's nothing against Larry and Adam there are not many stories on them, they just stay away from that scene.

i know larry and adam arent in the public eye as much but sssh ssssh cant a girl dream of seeing larry on the front of her local newspaper :rolleyes:

I know Bono seeks the press attention more- i dunno im jsut not a big Bono fan :|

Of course you can dream all you want, and you won't be alone in that! I AM a Bono girl, and I have a confession- the first few years I liked U2 in the JT days I didn't even know Adam's name! I just called him 'the other guy.' They could've switched bassist and I wouldn't even have noticed. I probably didn't really rememeber his first and last name until ATYCLB came out. He's been kind of anonymous over the years, to me anyway.

I think the only musician who is overexposed at the moment is Ozzy Ozbourne. His family is everwhere! And I think the public will be sick of them soon. What is happening to them is the true meaning of overexposure.

That's true--Bono is very public, and he likes it like that--usually. I doubt if he liked it when the press showed up at his father's funeral. There are probably a few other cases where the press has showed up and he wanted to show them the door but couldn't. But the other guys, Adam and Larry in particular, are just plain private and don't want that kind of attention. They'll let Bono have it, thank you very much. Edge calls him a "media magnet". That he is.

Tabby said:
Of course you can dream all you want, and you won't be alone in that! I AM a Bono girl, and I have a confession- the first few years I liked U2 in the JT days I didn't even know Adam's name! I just called him 'the other guy.' They could've switched bassist and I wouldn't even have noticed. I probably didn't really rememeber his first and last name until ATYCLB came out. He's been kind of anonymous over the years, to me anyway.

*POINTS FINGER AT TABBY AND LAUGHS*
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My 2 cents:

I don't think Bono could ever be overexposed!! I think it's pretty obvious he loves what he does. I love the recent attention the press has been giving him about the AIDS/Africa/Dept thing. A few years back, I don't think I even knew there was an AIDS issue in Africa, or that it was such a huge problem, and now, I might be taking an entire semester college course ONLY about that issue and it's something I never would've looked into had it not been for Bono's cause sorta spurring my interest.

As for the other three not receiving as much attention, I can see where some people get annoyed and think it's not fair, but I don't really think anything of it. Not that Bono is better than any of them, its joost that he's the one out there working on all these projects and campaigning for all these causes, so of course he gets more attention.

I can't get enough of him....I get giddy when I go to check yahoo news and see a story about him (yes, I'm lame).

To some people he may be overexposed, and he may be putting himself out there too much.

I would like to say that if he is overexposed at least it is for a good cause.

Dipster mentioned the Osbournes, look at what they have done... the made a TV show about their dogs crapping on oriental rugs, and their lack of parenting skills. I know there are people here who like the show so please don't take offense. Anyway, this family is famous for their antics, which at first I found funny, but now I find it sad. It disgusted me that Ozzy was invited to that White House dinner, as a mere double sided publicity stunt for both Bush and Ozzy.

Anyhoo where was I? Oh yeah exposed Bono :ohmy:

Um let me rephrase...

Bono's headlines and press attention are centered around a worthwhile cause. While some may see his trips to the white house as the same type of double sided stunt, at least he is making people aware of Global AIDS/third world debt. It does appear that the Bush Administration is using stars like Bono and Ozzy to make themselves seem hipper in time for the 2004 election...in which the largest number of eligible voters will be 18-24 years old.

daisybean said:

It does appear that the Bush Administration is using stars like Bono and Ozzy to make themselves seem hipper in time for the 2004 election...in which the largest number of eligible voters will be 18-24 years old.

Yeah, like me. I'll vote for the first time this next election. I wouldn't let Bush's celebrity connections influence my choice. But, I can say that hanging out with Bono doesn't hurt either :D

On a totally different note:
We need a president with Bono's passion:yes:

Last edited:
daisybean said:
I can't get enough of him....I get giddy when I go to check yahoo news and see a story about him (yes, I'm lame).

To some people he may be overexposed, and he may be putting himself out there too much.

I would like to say that if he is overexposed at least it is for a good cause.

Dipster mentioned the Osbournes, look at what they have done... the made a TV show about their dogs crapping on oriental rugs, and their lack of parenting skills. I know there are people here who like the show so please don't take offense. Anyway, this family is famous for their antics, which at first I found funny, but now I find it sad. It disgusted me that Ozzy was invited to that White House dinner, as a mere double sided publicity stunt for both Bush and Ozzy.

Um let me rephrase...

Bono's headlines and press attention are centered around a worthwhile cause. While some may see his trips to the white house as the same type of double sided stunt, at least he is making people aware of Global AIDS/third world debt. It does appear that the Bush Administration is using stars like Bono and Ozzy to make themselves seem hipper in time for the 2004 election...in which the largest number of eligible voters will be 18-24 years old.

Maybe I asked the question the wrong way. I'm mainly thinking of the stuff that went down after R&H and just hoping it doesn't happen again. It was a bunch of really bad press. The upshot of the whole deal was a whole bunch of problems that were resolved with AB and ZooTV. I'm not criticizing anything he's doing. In fact, I hate this press stuff about it's "egotistical" and "hypocritical" that he's doing stuff that is indeed very worthwhile and should be public. This bad press stuff is misdirected and wrong-headed. I just hope the press sharks don't go on the attack. If so, grrrrrrr........:madspit: :madspit:

verte76 said:

Maybe I asked the question the wrong way. I'm mainly thinking of the stuff that went down after R&H and just hoping it doesn't happen again.

Aaaaah I see what you are saying....Well I think part of the reason R&H got so slammed was because they were almost too big during that time. I think the critics wanted to "take them down a few notches," not necessarily based on their actual work as musicians. With the success of JT and that tour they were at the pinnacle of pop culture. Perhaps critics had already decided to hate the film before it was even released, maybe because they were sick of hearing U2 this and U2 that. Unfortunately, most of the public relies on critics to tell them what is good and what is not. R&H is an excellent concert film, however it was marketed as a documentary, and there is very little non concert footage in the film. Critics said "This is not a documentary, therefore it is bad," and the band got alot of heat for that.

Thus the backlash....

Anyhoo... I seem to be losing my train of thought in this thread....don't mind my rambling....

I think that there was a mini backlash after the Superbowl.....however that was less severe than the R&H and Popmart bashing. Who's to say that there won't be another backlash with the fall release of Best Of and the Gangs of New York song. It all depends on how they market it.... if they try to go for the "Best Band in the world" thing again it may backfire. I think it didn't backfire with ATYCLB because they were a welcome change or alternative to teen pop, rap, rap metal, nu metal.

Last edited:
Yeah, so far there have been "mini-backlashes" but not major ones, maybe because U2 are seen as a "nice" alternative to guys like Eminem and--no offense to Ozzy, but let's just say his public persona is, uh, rather different from Bono's. I don't think I have to explain. :lol: :lol: He and Ali and family are *not* the Osbournes. LMAO!!! As long as they are the "nice alternatives" they probably won't get a big time backlash. If Ozzy is getting invited to the White House.........egads, I smell politics.

daisybean said:

Um let me rephrase...

Oh, really? The largest number of eligible voters are 18-24 years old--or will be? Interesting. I don't know that this will get Bush alot of votes. Now if we could just abolish that stupid law that a presidential candidate has to be born in the U.S.........
JOKE! JOKE! If there's a celebrity who doesn't *need* a political "career" it's Bono. He's got an activist's career! There's quite a difference. Activists are often more powerful than politicians. They're not dependent on votes the way elected officials are.
BTW I do think it's stupid that a U.S. presidential candidate has to be born in the U.S.

Back
Top Bottom