Bono & Edge Happy Birthday to Nelson Mandela at 90 concert!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks light :up:

mandela146-27-08.jpg

mandela156-27-08.jpg

mandela166-27-08.jpg

mandela176-27-08.jpg

I think he's laughing at what Edge says at the beginning. It's something like "I hope you like our new direction...." I had to listen to it a few times before I got the whole thing. It's just at the very start and easily missed.

Thanks, I thought at first he said HE needed direction, and thought :uhoh: :giggle:

BTW, happy birthday to Nelson Mandela! :)

A few things:

I don't know why the concert was held tonight but Madiba's b-day is not until 18 July. He's still a spry 89 years old.:wink:

Also, Bono & Edge were videotaped. I watched the concert online at the Nelson Mandela Foundation's website (46664 Concert Honouring Nelson Mandela at 90 - 27th June 2008, London) and it was dark out at the concert when they played the tape of Bono & Edge so it was definitely NOT a live performance.

Great performance - just not a live performance. :love::hug:

wow . Bono looks and sounds amazing . :love:

more B & E love pics . blm said it ,peanut butter and jelly . :drool:

Thanks for the link and the caps bonocomet .

wow . Bono looks and sounds amazing . :love:

more B & E love pics . blm said it ,peanut butter and jelly . :drool:

Thanks for the link and the caps bonocomet .

new album.:hyper:

:shifty: aww damn, I thought you had a link to the new album there... I tried clicking on it :lol:

I don't know why the concert was held tonight but Madiba's b-day is not until 18 July. He's still a spry 89 years old.:wink:

Lashings of apologies Mr. Mandela. :doh:

(And I thought that was a link to the new album, too, oops. Mots = :reject: X 2!)

I watched it as it aired, too (the 46664 live stream left a little to be desired.) I thought it was very cute. I would like to know where they taped this. It looks like somebody's guest room.

Lashings of apologies Mr. Mandela. :doh:

(And I thought that was a link to the new album, too, oops. Mots = :reject: X 2!)

:hug:

Don't worry about Mandela's birthdate, Mot, because it was easy to assume that today was his b-day with the concert being held today.

A few things:

There was a concert exactly 20 years ago, where musicians called for Mandela's release from prison. It was called "The Mandela Freedom At 70 Campaign". I think that's why it was yesterday and not on his actual birthday...
I really loved Bono's and Edge's birthday song. Bono had such a strong voice! :applaud:

There was a concert exactly 20 years ago, where musicians called for Mandela's release from prison. It was called "The Mandela Freedom At 70 Campaign". I think that's why it was yesterday and not on his actual birthday...
I really loved Bono's and Edge's birthday song. Bono had such a strong voice! :applaud:

That's what I thought Bona Vox but I wasn't sure about the concert's actual date. I actually remember that concert and the song "Nelson Mandela" but I didn't know the exact date of the concert.

Actually musicians were calling for the release from prison of Madiba before the concert twenty years ago but it does make sense to combine the two s (Mandela's 90th birthday & the concert's anniversary) into one event.

Outside of what one could find on the Internet about the concert, there was virtually no mention of it in the U.S. media.

Here is the link to the infamous song which did help to lead to Nelson Mandela's freedom and one of my favorite performances of the song from back in the days of apartheid:

YouTube - Freedom Beat 1988 -Junior + Freedom Beat All Stars - Free Nelson Mandela.divx :wink::hug:

Thanks for the caps Comet!! :hug:

The performance was so great... Bono's voice is really great... and Edge looks so good with that t-shirt... very summer look :lol::love:

I was at the Hyde Park concert on Friday night & it was a great moment when the video was played-very emotional.
Nelson Mandela visited London last August to unveil a statue of himself in Parliament Square & he announced then that he hoped to return in 2008 for a 46664 concert to celebrate his 90th birthday.The timing of it is probably logistical / costs.As it is a charity event, it will have saved them some of the costs to have it this weekend when the same stage set up etc is also being used for 2 other major concerts-Eric Clapton, Sheryl Crow & John Mayer gig on Saturday night & The Police , KT Tunstall & Starsailor on Sunday night.Nelson Mandela has been in UK since last Monday for other events climaxing with the concert on Friday night.Now he can spend his actual birthday-18th July- back home in South Africa with his family & friends.
I had been hoping for Bono & Edge to appear in person at the concert, but in the end wasn't too disappointed as I felt the video worked really well-a polished performance.With it being pre-recorded there was no chance of any potentially embarassing mistakes being made.It would have been a difficult song to sing live & with the show being watched globally by millions on tv, internet etc this was probably in their thinking.

I watched it as it aired, too (the 46664 live stream left a little to be desired.) I thought it was very cute. I would like to know where they taped this. It looks like somebody's guest room.

According to U2.com it was filmed in Dublin, I assume at the studio because they said they couldn't come because they were working on the album. The following link is a full clip that included Bono's request that Mandela's birthday should be an international holiday hence the updating of Stevie Wonder's song promoting an MLK holiday.

Happy Birthday Mandela

Dana

Back
Top Bottom