Bono and Ali article in Vogue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
biff said:

Sure, I'm happy to do it. (By the way, I remember you from the old Zootopia. I didn't post much back then, but I practically lived there, lol.)
I'm going to try to hit the bookstore on my way home from work tomorrow, and pick up two copies. Wish me luck!
I'll write to you once I have them, and you can give me your particulars.:) Just remember your side of the bargain!:wink:

Brilliant!!

No I wont forget!!:wink:

I've got the legs but also the boobs and not a size 12 (XL!!!??)
so I wont be buying anything from that range, yet another designer clothing range not made for real women just 6 foot size 8 models!!!
Ali's must be a special make as she is tiny!!

I can't believe that a size 12 is considered an XL!! I am a size 14, am 5'11, my legs are 38 inches, I have a 38 inch bust, and I have a bubble-butt. So I guess that means I won't be buying anything from their selection 'so far'. There must only be extremely skinny women in New York. I guess that I can go without buying anything, unless EDUN makes a nice shoe that goes up to a size 11. Shoes are my weakness, so if they make a shoe in my size, EDUN will be making a fortune!

It would be so cool if they ever ended up and sold their stuff at Kohl's, stuff there is far more affordable. :wink:

I think the clothes are just lovely. However, they are a bit pricey. I'd love to see them in person to judge if they are worth the money. Are the pants and jackets lined? Are the seams straight? Etc. Edun should be investment pieces that last forever and are always stylish. I've invested in some classic cashmere sweaters that I can wear until the day I die.

As for the sizes...well, I don't know. I'm short and curvy. It seems most clothing today is made for 6 foot tall skinnies.

...I think the point of Edun is to support Fair Trade and sustainably grown fabrics, like organic cotton. It is a shame that these are so expensive and limited to thin people (and about the lenghth for Ali...come on...doncha tink she has them tailored for her petiteness??!!!??). This is a start in the right direction in the world of chichi high fashion where price and size, sadly do not matter. Gettin da rich folks to support the poor folks. Who better to do that than the multi-millionaire Hewsons?

If you want to support sustainable, Fair Trade clothing products (and unfortunately NOT Bono & Ali, who, bless 'em, have probably gotten a fair share of our hard earned money, anyway!), you might check out Maggie's Organic Cotton clothing - not pricey, but PC or go on line and try to find some Fair Trade clothing that is NOT high fashion. There are cool denim jackets and Converse-type tennis shoes (Yeah...like Edge wears!!) which are made by Fair Trade companies.

I bet OxFam could point in the direction of Fair Trade clothing. And I think there's a website to stop sweatshops and support non-sweatshop clothing production.

This is not a new ting, girlies...just a new ting for the Hewsons. Thanks to them for enlightening folks who otherwise would support sweat shops and not even know it.

It would be wise for Ali to sell some of her items in more upscale stores and then have a limited line of clothing to sell at more modestly priced stores (like Sears, J.C. Penny's, etc.)

That way she could REALLY reach the majority of people with the fair trade message.

IT"S NOT WHAT YOU'RE DREAMING, IT'S WHAT YOU'RE GONNA DO....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

I wonder how Rogan and Ali are collaborating..is she submitting the designs and he's executing them?Or does she have final approval of his designs...just curious...personally I'd like to find out who designs her clothes and buy those designs (as if I could afford those!).
Anyhow,I look forward to seeing the whole line when its out. I hope their line is successful but like some of you I agree it'd be nice if the clothes were available for average working peoples budgets.
Thanks for the tip on Maggies Organic Cotton, Stonecircle!:up:

Not sure if this had been mentioned before (as far as distribution in other countries)

Ali Hewson's motive was simple: "I would prefer to know that the clothes I buy for my children weren't made by someone else's children." Like her rock-star husband, Bono, Hewson is a doer, so she set up Edun, a clothing line manufactured with ethical production methods and meant to create sustainable employment in developing countries. "We wanted to show that you can make a for-profit business where everybody in the chain is treated well," she says. With factories set to roll in Peru and Tunisia, and a third planned for Lesotho, the Edun range, a partnership with U.S. label Rogan, will include everything from jeans to chiffon dresses. But Hewson isn't relying on altruism to sell clothes she describes as "more sensual than bling." "We want these clothes to sell on their own merit, because they are beautiful and well made." Edun's pieces ($65-$375) will appear in March at Selfridges in Britain, El Corte Inglés in Spain and Saks in New York City, among other stores.
—By Hugh Porter

From Time Magazine

When I'm a rich business exec, I'll buy all Edun. I like those jeans that were posted, but honestly they look just like Gap jeans and Gap jeans are $15. :( I think it's a really good idea though and maybe if more companies catch on, prices will start to level off.

That's a great article - Bono and Ali seem to have such a great dynamic going on. And I love that they have come up with this initiative. I think they could go far with it! Reading the article made me feel guilty for buying clothes "made with despair", though. I'm a student, and I couldn't afford to buy EDUN clothes even if they were to sell them in New Zealand, which I'm pretty sure they're not, lol. I hope that in their future marketing of these clothes, they are more sensitive to the fact that not everyone has this kind of money to spend on what they wear - and this does not mean that these people don't want "revolution" in the way trade is done.

Last edited:
I loved the bit she call Bono "B"... so sweet!
and the pic with the three of them... her way of looking the B-man is sooo tender!

oh, and of course, the bit with Bono saying "Ali's good with the dog-whistle" make me laugh so!!!
The clothes are nice -- but I think it'll be impossible to buy them here in Italy...

Funny, how could she know that's what a lot of us have always called him online!:wink:

Of course, we all know she' the only person on earth who calls him Paul, now tha the other person, Bono's dad, is gone. I love how you could read the whole rticle 10 times (like I have) and only get the sense that you are just barely scratching the hastly erected surface of their private world.

Maybe the "Vogue" line is for the pricey set, and other articles will be made for the Target set. Don't "high-profile" projects usually start on the top?

And the comments about Wal-Mart and Target..I wish such stores did not exist. When they exploded it was the worst thing ever for society. Yes, prices are cheap, but who has to pay the price? If you know what I mean. And it isn't locally owned or run. Time was, it was Sears and K-mart and Montgomery Ward and Macy's and a much cheaper JCPenny's (which makes the best clothes, IMO, but is starting to resmble Macy's price-wise.)

Time was, the dollar was stronger, people's paychecks bought more for the dollar, and the cost of living was lower. You could buy more for your money. You shopped at K-mart and Sears and al those other stores I mewnioned aboce, a wide variety in prices, and got more for your dollar. Now, it's either spend for super cheap (but cheap quality) clothes at Slave Labor Central (guess where), or spend a third or fourth or even half, if you're a student, of your paycheck on a season's basic wardrobe, (and we're talking one of each item) but much better fashions, at a decent place like Penny's. Oh yes, Wal-Mart is great for basic casual clothes to hang out in, around the house or watching soccer practice, but not for dress clothes or work clothes something to go out in and look good. Come on, admit it!

*Ducks as the bombs begin* Ha ha.

There used to be all sorts of price-range stores, something for every taste, and now, it;s pretty much super cheap or mostly out of your range. One or the other. Geez, not even my mom can afford Casual Corner anymore....

YAY! I got my Vogue today! Woo-hoo!

I was in Borders and thought i'd look&see&it was there!!

They had about a dozen copies, nice one! Crikes, that thing is the thickness of a catalouge/phonebook!! :eek:

All the same, i love the Bono&Ali pics! :up: Ali looks beautiful in that coulour one&i can't remember who it was, but i agree with what you said: She has great lips! :kiss:

I'm looking forward to reading the article again! :wink:

kellyahern said:

No, Bono said on Larry King that the only person who called him Paul was his father. He says he doesn't like it when people call him that.

:yes: And he also answered when asked if Ali calls him Bono or Paul, "neither, she calles me baby." I'm assuming she'd call him a pet name like that or Bono. Sure it's a weird nickname, but it's not that different that calling a Stephen "steve". Or like my bro who's name is Andrew and the only person that EVER calls him that (unless my mom is PISSED) is my grandma.

Thank you Sherry and Jamilia, for your suggestions.

I already do all you have suggested as well as Amnesty and Oxfam stuff.

It really does make a difference. In just this past 2 weeks, I have had a letter in reply from the Canadian Ambassador and our Treasurer about debt relief.

Even if I didn't see some results, I at least feel that I have done something to contribute. It is more important to me that I have made the effort than the result, know what I mean?

imogen, I know exactly how you feel.:wink:

But rest assured, EVERY action that we take to make this world a better place DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Even if we don't see it firsthand, a loving action produces a positive result.

Thanks for caring about the world's poorest people. :up:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

:yes: And he also answered when asked if Ali calls him Bono or Paul, "neither, she calles me baby." I'm assuming she'd call him a pet name like that or Bono. Sure it's a weird nickname, but it's not that different that calling a Stephen "steve". Or like my bro who's name is Andrew and the only person that EVER calls him that (unless my mom is PISSED) is my grandma.

I have said it a lot of times now and I hope you won't get bored.

In Italian, "Bono" means "cool" -- it would be a nice way to call your husband, wouldn't it???

If you want to support sustainable, Fair Trade clothing products (and unfortunately NOT Bono & Ali, who, bless 'em, have probably gotten a fair share of our hard earned money, anyway!), you might check out Maggie's Organic Cotton clothing - not pricey, but PC or go on line and try to find some Fair Trade clothing that is NOT high fashion. There are cool denim jackets and Converse-type tennis shoes (Yeah...like Edge wears!!) which are made by Fair Trade companies.

I bet OxFam could point in the direction of Fair Trade clothing. And I think there's a website to stop sweatshops and support non-sweatshop clothing production.

This is not a new ting, girlies...just a new ting for the Hewsons. Thanks to them for enlightening folks who otherwise would support sweat shops and not even know it.

If you are interested in sweatshop free clothing and a company that provides much of what EDUN is providing 3rd world countries ( but you cannot afford the designer prices...), please visit www.americanapparel.net. I have personally visited their factory in downtown LA. All of African Well Fund's tshirts come from this place. The factory is "sweatshop free" as well as offering fair wages and insurance options for their employees. it's a great company and model for future companies that avoid the sweatshop model.

They also have retail stores in some big cities, but if not you can order online

And if you want to order AWF tshirts, we have some for sale at:
http://www.africanwellfund.org/t-shirts.html

Get one in time for the U2 concerts!

Last edited:
oktobergirl said:

If you are interested in sweatshop free clothing and a company that provides much of what EDUN is provides in 3rd world countries ( but cannot afford the designer prices...), please visit www.americanapparel.net. I have personally visited their factory in downtown LA. All of African Well Fund's tshirts come from this place. The factory is "sweatshop free" as well as offering fair wages and insurance options for their employees. it's a great company and model for future companies that avoid the sweatshop model.

They also have retail stores in some big cities, but if not you can order online

And if you want to order AWF tshirts, we have some for sale at:
http://www.africanwellfund.org/t-shirts.html

Get one in time for the U2 concerts!

Thanks oktobergirl, I didn't know you guys had t-shirts - just ordered one! :wave:

Back
Top Bottom