Blackbook Scans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono's poem...wowza. Write a poem for me, Bono!!! :D

and oh those pics :drool: thankies for the scans...I must get ahold of this mag...hopefully this weekend. I need Q too, I searched for it this weekend to no avail (and cried over it. What, it's an emotional thing for me!), all the bookstores had older issues. Hopefully since Bloomington is a college town it'll be more up-to-date and I can get it this weekend!

I found out some more information about Edun clothing, for those of you who are interested.

It's a fair-trade fashion label founded by Bono/Ali in partnership with the designer Rogan Gregory. It will debut next year, with prices ranging from $50 to $250. The line will stress the importance of environmentally friendly fabrics and fair business practices.

You may notice that on one of the photographs, Bono has written:
"In Peru, the Inca had developed a cotton that grows coloured, no dye. Even when they used dyes they were so natural: "gardenia", "coffee", "coal", "blue corn", "Chlorophyl".
Back to Edun...."

That's the philosophy behind the project, I think.

Last edited:
Hi Biff - thanks for translating Bono's handwriting. I wondered what he was talking about there. Could you please translate his handwriting on the other pages too?

Hi Popsadie - I'd love to hear more about how Bono's poem "is Braudillard in poetry..seriously..." "how true this poem rings to the views of this literary theorist..."

U2Soar said:
Hi Biff - thanks for translating Bono's handwriting. I wondered what he was talking about there. Could you please translate his handwriting on the other pages too?

It is pretty gawdawful isn't it?

The writing on one of the pictures suggests the idea upon which Edun is founded. It says: "4 respects Edun" and
"4 respects...who made it, where it was made, how it was made, who it was made 4"

I also came across a quote from Ali regarding Edun: Interestingly, it's not "you are what you wear" but, in her view, "You wear what you are." Nice idea.

originally posted by biff
I found out some more information about Edun clothing, for those of you who are interested.

It's a fair-trade fashion label founded by Bono/Ali in partnership with the designer Rogan Gregory. It will debut next year, with prices ranging from $50 to $250. The line will stress the importance of environmentally friendly fabrics and fair business practices.

You may notice that on one of the photographs, Bono has written:
"In Peru, the Inca had developed a cotton that grows coloured, no dye. Even when they used dyes they were so natural: "gardenia", "coffee", "coal", "blue corn", "Chlorophyl".
Back to Edun...."

That's the philosophy behind the project, I think

Thanks for the information.
I was actually wondering about the meaning behind the name Edun today. It seems like its about being natural or being close to nature. The Garden of Eden was where humanity was in harmony with nature. And, also, Nude is the name of the restaurant Bono's brother owns, and I think it uses only organic food, nothing with pesticides or any chemicals. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

So there's a lot of meaning behind this name.

Here's a bit more "translated" writing:

"The more you see the less you know, the less you find out as you go....I knew much more then than I know now...."

"My father used to paint on his black and white photographs of my mother and the family at the beach...watercolours in the 50s & 60s when he was romantic."

That last bit seems to explain at least in part why he (Bono) is painting on photographs, in emulation of his father. The mood here is sad, wistful, I think.

Isn't it? It evokes a lovely, sad picture. Gorgeous. It seems to explain to me many U2 songs, filled with a yearning melancholy.

Bono has such a beautiful soul...to think and see the world the way he does....

Grr...he's ruined me. I will never find my own "Bono" in this lifetime....I'm going to end up living alone with a rocking chair and 80 cats.

:laugh:

No for real...I'm going to be that person that you read about in the paper. The old lady with no family who was found dead in her house---after the 80 cats had eaten her. :huh:

I don't get it..I have a 240 lb. cousin who's nicknamed Booger and SHE has a fiancee. :lmao: Ok, even I found that funny....I've been silly lately I must admit.....

biff said:

The writing on one of the pictures suggests the idea upon which Edun is founded. It says: "4 respects Edun" and
"4 respects...who made it, where it was made, how it was made, who it was made 4"

I also came across a quote from Ali regarding Edun: Interestingly, it's not "you are what you wear" but, in her view, "You wear what you are." Nice idea.

I love Ali's project Edun from what you said, biff. It's perfect, and a lot of what I strive for in my own life- being environementally friendly (as possible) and trying to buy/eat local-grown foods and foods that are prepared without cruelty to animals (anyone ever seen how chickens are treated on mass-producing egg farms?)

Edun seems to do the same for clothing. I'm so excited for this.

Yea, thanks very much, biff, for taking the time to give us your ideas not only of what Bono wrote in these pics but of your interpretations of what they might mean to him. :wink:

I have a feeling you're right on target about the B-man.

He still seems to miss his da(d) very much.:sad:

But I would venture to say that if his da(d) is anywhere in the Universe watching his son, I bet he has a perpetual smile on his face and pride in his heart for Bono! :angel:

Sometimes the words we most want to say to those we most love are so deep in our hearts that it's hard to put them into words.

I'm sure that is the relationship that Bono and his da(d) always had.:hug:

My Love and Respect to them both.

SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Bono's Doll said:

Thanks--I'm ordering right now--I don't care how much it costs--I spent $6 in gas running to every bookstore this weekend.

I did order that same day--and I received today already--Sweeeet!

I got my copy today from atomic books.
my, my, my, oh my
Glad I ordered it. The bookstores around here don't have it.

starsgoblue said:

Grr...he's ruined me. I will never find my own "Bono" in this lifetime....I'm going to end up living alone with a rocking chair and 80 cats.

Haha, me too, except I'll have one dog, maybe...I'm allergic to cats :(

Thanks for "translating" Bono's writing, biff :wink: I love Bono. So damn much...he has a beauitful soul.

Jamila said:
Yea, thanks very much, biff, for taking the time to give us your ideas not only of what Bono wrote in these pics but of your interpretations of what they might mean to him.

With respect, Jamila, those were not my "ideas" of what Bono wrote. That is actually what Bono wrote. I just want to make clear I was not embellishing or imagining anything. Yes, his penmanship is not great, but it's not illegible.
Also, I don't think anyone other than those involved can say they are "sure" about the relationship Bono had with his father. I personally think it was much more complicated and painful than some would like to believe, but I don't know that. I think you are pushing it when you say you are "sure".
This is not a Hallmark card, this is a complicated human being. Sorry to bring such gravitas to PLEBA, but I really needed to say that.

starsgoblue said:

I find this really sad.

my guy is always saying he will never measure up to bono. jokingly of course. he knows a special part of me belongs to u2. kinda weird but the truth.
i neeeed to order this magazine, or just go to salem and find all the magazines theyre in right now. theyre piling up on me. seems like more and more are coming out and im falling behind

:mad:
I went to the bookstore today to take a gander at all of the new mags and the only one they had was a single, really beat up and torn copy of Black Book.
I did get to flip through it and although the pics look good here, they look better when you're actually holding them in front of you.
:yes:

Does anyone else find Bono's poem a little dirty? :ohmy: I think the fact that he used a crude/slang word like "tits" kinda killed the poem for me and made it seem suddenly shallow and not beautiful anymore.

But I like the photos of Bono! It's about time someone photographed him that way. And he's not wearing his shades! See? I've been saying that he's more attractive without them!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom