Because I can't NOT share this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaleBlueDot

War Child
Yeah, you know Bono's new hair color? Not color at all -- that, my friends, is his natural shade. I mean, there is nothing in his hair right now but pure Bononess. ;)

(And yes, I'm 100% sure of this.)

If by that you mean how I know...I could say that it came from someone who knows him. But then you wouldn't believe me would you? lol. So I did not volunteer that information...But eh, who cares if you believe me or not.

A better argument, though -- Is that he is of the Celtic race...Red hair and freckles (observe his left-cheek constellation heheh) usually go together, no? Also, Ali is dark Irish...which is not really pure celt, but actually an Italian/Greek mix. So Eli's curly red locks had to have come from Bono's side. Mind you...even though that one picture of Bono as a toddler is in black-and-white, you can pretty much tell that his hair was red.

i believe u!!! don't worry!!
u said:" it came from someone who knows him" geez, i wanna know everything!!! :hyper: if, of course, u can talk about that...

so, if this is not a colour, the dark hair would have been a colour so??
:eyebrow:

I completely disagree for two good reasons:

1. Bono is 43 years old, and has had grey hairs for many years. If his hair were "100% pure Bono" right now, I'm afraid it would be mostly grey regardless of his 'natural' color.

2. The pictures of Bono as a teenager, such as the stills from Legends, clearly show that his hair was a light brownish color. The early videos show this as well. In U2@TEOTW, near the end of the book, Flanagan states that "Bono's hair has grown out in its natural light brown color, after years of beind dyed black."

One more thing, Eli's curly red locks? :confused: I don't want to post a pic, considering Bono has expressed his dislike for having his childrens' pics online, but the last pics I saw of him, over the summer, his hair was straight and dark, like Ali's. Not quite as dark, but still dark brown with no red. Remember the ones Mr. LeMon posted of his friend's trip to France? John's hair is curly and blond, but I think the 'curly' is a baby trait that is grown out of. Eli's hair is already mostly straight, and Eve and Jordan have straight BROWN hair as well.

Leeloo said:
I completely disagree for two good reasons:

1. Bono is 43 years old, and has had grey hairs for many years. If his hair were "100% pure Bono" right now, I'm afraid it would be mostly grey regardless of his 'natural' color.

Oh, I thought of that too...this was all discussed in the conversation lol...The way this whole thing actually came up was in a discussion on Irish history. Anyway, apparently the thing is -- with redheads, grey hair doesn't really show up as grey so much as it just changes the tone of the color.

He is going grey but he is not "mostly" grey just yet. ;)

Leeloo said:
2. The pictures of Bono as a teenager, such as the stills from Legends, clearly show that his hair was a light brownish color. The early videos show this as well. In U2@TEOTW, near the end of the book, Flanagan states that "Bono's hair has grown out in its natural light brown color, after years of beind dyed black."

One's hair color often changes over time. This particularly happens a lot with the Anglo-Saxon races.

Bono's hair is not full on RED-red, so it could very easily pass for brown. I'd call it brownish-red.

You could be right of course...but again, I know this to be fact, so...yeah.

Leeloo said:
One more thing, Eli's curly red locks? I don't want to post a pic, considering Bono has expressed his dislike for having his childrens' pics online, but the last pics I saw of him, over the summer, his hair was straight and dark, like Ali's. (SNIP)

Eli's hair was full on red, and curly, a year ago. The pictures I saw were from Bob Hewson's funeral. Again -- one's hair color can change from color to color over time.

Last edited:
miss-U2 said:
u said:" it came from someone who knows him" geez, i wanna know everything!!! :hyper: if, of course, u can talk about that...

Yes...But only in recent years.

I want to point out that I am guessing that his hair is really just brown with a red tone to it. Meaning, when the sunlight hits it, it turns red. Because if you look at the rest of his body, he is one hairy brown-haired man! And it is a rather dark tone of red. Not that bright carrot-topped red that you normally imagine when you think of red heads.

Young Bono before he ever dyed his hair:

bonoboycity.jpg

As an AVID admirer of Bono's hair for 20 years now, I have to lean on the side of this recent color being dye. Nothing wrong with that, hey, who wants to look old before their time and have gray hair? Sorry, but I have seen several pics of Bono with many gray hairs mixed into his hair, it didn't 'blend in' or 'change colors with age'. When I was a kid, my hair was almost blonde, and got lighter in the summer, but as I got older it turned a lot darker and now it's almost dark brown. That happens. Eli's hair was blonde (yes blonde, not red) when he was younger (if you want to see the sad funeral pic, go to PLEBANS and click on the 'can anyone remove the text' thread by Hanover. That hair is clearly blonde, not red.) I have never seen anyone with brown hair suddenly become a redhead :crazy: without the help of dye. Bono's brother, who is 7 or 8 years older than him, has had snow white hair for years. So I do believe this new color to be dye, but I don't care! He's always doing something to his hair, this is just his most recent 'new look!' :D

U2Kitten said:
Eli's hair was blonde (yes blonde, not red) when he was younger (if you want to see the sad funeral pic, go to PLEBANS and click on the 'can anyone remove the text' thread by Hanover. That hair is clearly blonde, not red.)

Ah! It IS blonder than I recall...However, it still has that reddish tone to it...

Also, have a look at Bono's eyebrows and his scruff, and his skin tone...It feels like everything matches so exactly now when I look at it.

Correction...I asked someone ELSE who knows him, and she has known him for a long time, and she reckons it's been pretty red for as long as she's known him. By that she mean brown with red tones -- auburn, she says. She thinks that in cases where the red has not shown up, it's just bad film.

But, she says even in the 80's it could have been just red highlights, lol. All she's saying is, she's been seeing the red for as long as she's known him...which is pretty much since they first came to America.

Edited to add: Um...in case you're wondering, I only know 2 people who know bono lol. Not like, a million. No, I've never met him but I hear he is a nice fella. ;)

Last edited:
miss-U2 said:

Well...basically I'm saying that he's been dying it for a long time and has recently stopped, or so I'm told.

And as far as knowing everything about Bono...Well, of course, I won't share personal stories, but really, in my opinion -- you already pretty much know him. What you see is what you get. That's just my opinion.

This is probably the reddist it was, highlights brought out in the spotlights:

fringepretty.jpg

His lovely JT hair shone chestnut in the sun:love:

bonostreets5.jpg

I do think he has had some red highlights that were brought out with light, but his hair is naturally more brown as all the early pics prove.

bonoboyflower.jpg

Of course, there is even no way to prove or disprove any of these may have had dye too. Only his hairdresser knows for sure;) It's his business, and we can only enjoy the scenery. But brown, black, or red, I love his hair. I do love it darker though. But, as far as I'm concerned as long as HAS hair, I'm not going to complain about the color;)

I do believe though that if he had stopped dyeing it completely, it would have more gray in it than we see. But he is looking GREAT and I am enjoying the pics. So it doesn't matter!:)

*edit that pic I referred to of Eli does look redder than other pics I have seen of him as a baby, but all the others I saw were solid blonde. I heard people who saw him in person call his hair 'golden.' It's dark brown now though. Anyway, like his father, he is beautiful:)

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

Ah, see, look at this. (Heh, this picture is so cheesy, lol.) His eyebrows are brown here, so I do think that was his natural color THEN...but look at them now. They're totally redd...er...ish. I don't think he's dying his eyebrows either, in case anyone wants to argue that angle, lol. The reason I don't think he's doing that is because his scruff has the red in it too.

But brown, black, or red, I love his hair. I do love it darker though. But, as far as I'm concerned as long as HAS hair, I'm not going to complain about the color;)

LOL! Amen, sistah.

I do believe though that if he had stopped dyeing it completely, it would have more gray in it than we see. But he is looking GREAT and I am enjoying the pics. So it doesn't matter!:)

Heh, mee too. I dunno why but I luuuurrrve this color. Oh yes, I do.

And you're right, it doesn't matter. I'm just a geek with nothing better to do, lol.

Last edited:
If you're a geek with nothing better to do, I'm worse:p Look at all my research:laugh: I really do feel that way right now, even before you posted that! ;)

But there is no question his scruff is dyed, as was the beard he had earlier this year. I have just seen way too many pics of him with gray or white stubble to believe it isn't dyed. When he had the white stubble, some of the guys on EYKIW would go 'oh no Bono has a white beard noooo!' I mean it was WHITE. So it couldn't have changed colors on its own. He is a rich man and can afford to have himself done up the way he wants. But again ,he is beautiful, and I am a dork with nothing better to do! :crack:

U2Kitten said:
This is probably the reddist it was, highlights brought out in the spotlights:
fringepretty.jpg

OK...This, I'm told, is his true hair color. But she says the eye color is off. LOL! I don't know how she can tell... ::squints:: :eyebrow:

But anyway, she says if you compare this one to the one on the bed...

parismatch.jpg

...it's the same color...except the one on the bed has his true eye color lol.

But...anyway, there ya go. Take it or leave it. :D

*edited to include the luuuurvely bed pic.

Last edited:
If it's his natural color now, he's one lucky man to have grown highlighting streaks. ;-) I think it's probably his own color, highlighted. (P.S. I way prefer this over the dark!)

swandiver said:
If it's his natural color now, he's one lucky man to have grown highlighting streaks. ;-) I think it's probably his own color, highlighted. (P.S. I way prefer this over the dark!)

I think I'm gonna agree with you on both accounts. :yes:

Perhaps the real question is:

What is that THING in front of him on the bed?

And where was that picture taken?

::knows the answer to both but wants to know what people's guesses are first heheheh::

swandiver said:
Hey, PaleBlueDot -- I'm in Indiana, too!

You say that with such...enthusiasm. Like...as if this is a good thing? Have you looked outside your window lately? Nothing but cornfields! bleh. I'm getting the crap outta here as soon as school is over in May!

Whereabouts are ya? I'm in South Bend.

If you're in South Bend, I assume you were with me at the Notre Dame Concert?

I was born here in Lafayette and haven't wised up yet -- my daughter moved to Florida 10 years ago. We'll be following in her footsteps, believe me!

swandiver said:

I was born here in Lafayette and haven't wised up yet -- my daughter moved to Florida 10 years ago. We'll be following in her footsteps, believe me!

Nope, lol. I was at school in Columbus, OH. I'd never been so homesick in my life than on that night lol! But, in retrospect, it doesn't bother me anymore having not been there, because I have issues with how those firefighters used the stage as a forum to vent about Osama bin Laden and whatever...a lot of the people who were there were not real U2 fans, they hardly even know what U2 is about...I dunno, it all just felt kinda off to me. Only thing I really feel bad about missing out on is the chance to go to campus and see the boys walking around and stuff. Which they did...the hung out on campus with students, bono stole somebody's bike, lol...and they went to the bookstore and the Bascillica and all that. It would have been cool to see them in that kind of environment...it really is pretty beautiful there. And weird to see them walking around in the place where I grew up! I think I'd blink cuz I'm not used to seeing them there lol. Kind of like when Sean Astin came around and filmed Rudy...When I saw that movie it was sooo weird to see my home on film. I hated the movie because I hate cheesy sports movies, but then I saw it once when I was off at college and I got all homesick and nearly started crying lol.

I am SOOO rambling...um, and yeah, my brother just moved out to Colorado, as he's been wanting to for years. I will soon follow, and his theory is that the whole family will be out there within the next 5-10 years heh.

It just sucks here. Too depressing. And man, people in the midwest are so fat and lazy lol. Out in places like Colorado, and out further west, people are sooo much more health-conscious. And environmentally conscious, too, which is a big thing for me. I'm also an avid whitewater kayaker, so if I want to get any real paddling done on an even semi-regular basis, I'm gonna have to move.

Last edited:
swandiver said:

Oh, but my little brother was there! He was...18 I think...Yeah. And it was his FIRST real concert! (He'd seen the Moody Blues but of course, that's NOTHING like this...)

Being at the Notre Dame concert, the firefighters/police didn't use the forum to vent anything. They were invited to the concert by U2 once they found out they were at Notre Dame for a mass. Bono brought them up to do a lap around the heart at the end of the concert. It was a heart-warming, spiritual concert that hasn't left my heart years afterwards.

Gee, how did this get to this from whether Bono does or does not dye his hair. ;)

swandiver said:
Being at the Notre Dame concert, the firefighters/police didn't use the forum to vent anything. They were invited to the concert by U2 once they found out they were at Notre Dame for a mass. Bono brought them up to do a lap around the heart at the end of the concert. It was a heart-warming, spiritual concert that hasn't left my heart years afterwards.
Yeah, I know, and I know that's how the boys feel about it too. But like...I dunno, I think the concerts in NYC were way more emotional. My problem with the firefighters is, I don't like what 9/11 has done to our country, and the firefighters have a lot to do with it. They have a very nationalistic, vengeful attitude, and that is just not what America is about. And yeah they did vent, on Bono's mic, for several minutes after the show was over.

Gee, how did this get to this from whether Bono does or does not dye his hair. ;)

Easy -- I have the bono disease. Which is, an uncanny ability (and annoying tendancy, i might add) to connect thoughts which otherwise might have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Last edited:
"And yeah they did vent, on Bono's mic, for several minutes after the show was over. "

It must have been WAY after the concert was over, because we didn't hear it. And I have CD's of that concert that go all the way through "Grace" (the song they played while people were tromping out of the arena).

P.S. I must have the Bono disease, too.

Hi DOT!!! :)

:waves:

Ok, Im gonna weigh in here...

See...I did a LOT of research when I was trying to determine if I wanted to dye my hair to make it look like Bono's...for the show, of course..lol..

And what I eventually came up with is that we have almost identical hair in terms of color and texture and that the only reason I would really want to dye it darker would be to acheive the blackish Zoo or Elevation tour looks, but even that can be acheived if I wear gel, so that makes me wonder just how much dyeing he's done...

So...here's what I can tell you about my brown hair with red highlights:

- I'm only part Irish, the rest French
- I was almost blond as a child
- My hair color changed considerably as I grew older
- I had dark brown eyes as a child, now they are greenish brown
- my hair lightens in the sun, with some strands going red, others alternating to almost blond
- my hair looks definately more reddish in artificial light
- the second I put hair care products like gel, pomade, etc in my hair, it also affects my natural color - gel usually makes it darker, while pomade will bring out the highlights more
- my beard is mixed half and half brown and red
- my eyebrows are dark brown with very sporadic highlights
- I have one or two grey hairs (shh dont tell anyone lol) but its only in certain rare occasions can you really see them
- oh yeah...and I like green eggs and ham, Sam I am..

Sooooo...to me, all these things that ppl might use in a discussion to say his hair is one way or the other just seem to me to point to the fact that he simply has brown/red hair and thats what brown/red hair does, it changes appearance due to lighting, sun, being wet/dry. etc etc.

I will admit tho, Bono's hair *seems* a bit lighter these days then earlier days when it was natural, but again this could be the lighting..

One thing I will say is that he did have some very defined grey around the hairline in some recent pics I saw...the calendar I believe was one...so I dunno...maybe what he's done is just color wash for his normal color just to keep the grey away? I dunno..

Anyways, back to the dungeon with me..

LOL

Cheerios and shreddies

G

Back
Top Bottom