Baadaye - See you later!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Merc

Rock n' Roll Doggie
:wave:

Just wanted to drop in and let y'all know that I won't be around for a while... :)

I'm going to Africa for some time - and I doubt that there will be much time to check in here!

I'll miss all your news on the band and all the pics (I expect to see some very nice pics from Hawaii when I get back! :angry: :wink: )... :yes:

Behave while I'm gone girls (and guys!)! :madwife: :wink:

Baadaye!

:wave: all

I've received e-mails from Dorthe and she's doing well in Kenya.

I asked her if it would be ok if I posted some of her adventures here, so we get some kind of weblog here. and of course we keep her thread alive and she agreed :wink:

so here it goes: (from febr.4)
Jambo,

The weather here is sunny and great (25-30C) - haven't had much time to enjoy it yet, though! I've been busy planning all the details for my masters project. I've had meeingst with my two advisors at the Ministry of Health (who are very helpful and has been very good at briefing me about all the details), spend time (and 300USD!) to get a 'research permit' at the Ministry of Education and on monday we'll start arrangeing meetings with all the people I need to interview before I'm going into the country to do my field work...

I got my own apartment here in Nairobi - it's close to a big mall (where I found this internet cafe) and it's a nice place. :)

So far I've seen most of the city by car (when I'm being driven from the apartment to the ministry and so on) which is quite the experience! The Kenyan way of driving is - honestly - absolutely crazy!!! The state of the roads here is horrible (holes 30cm deep is not unusual), but that doesn't stop people from driving like they were beeing chased by someone or something! Before I arrived I read in my guide book that the 'matatus' (mini busses) were only for people that didn't fear death - now I know why!!! They drive around with windscreens so broken I doubt the driver can see very much of what actually going on in the traffic, with open doors (the car being so broken they can't close!) and people standing on the outside of the car where the door was supposed to be and - of course - they drive on the sidewalk! I very much appriciate that my advisor and the driver from the Ministry have taken me around town - I'm not going to try public transportation here, thats for sure! ;)

Oh, yeah, Jambo is Swahili for Hello :wink:

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, I got a mail on April 6th, after quite along absence.

She'll be back home on the 27th, so this might be a last update.

How are you doing? Sorry I haven't replied to you in a really long time, but I've been really busy and then the computers have also been out of order!

I've had so many experiences in the last few weeks - earthquake, meeting so many people, visits to tea factory and to a hospital than don't run the same drug supply system as we do here... That hospital was terrible, I tell you!!! I'm getting used to run-down, dirty health facilities but this one tops them all - it was so overcroweded with 2-3 patients in every bed, even some on the floor!!! In addition they were constantly lacking drugs and at the moment also gloves - imagine running a hospital like that... We don't have the same problems here - all patients have their own bed, and some wards at the hospital are actually more or less empty plus we never miss any drugs, because of the special drug suply system we have here (the one the Belgians financed - the system I'm studying)...

My other experiences - the earthquake! A very strange feeling, I've never experienced an earthquake before... everything was shaking and there was a lot really loud noise! Thanksfully that was all that happend - no one got hurt or anything! :)

I've also visited a tea factory! :) When you're surrounded by tea-bushes, it nice to know how those green leafs actually get to be the black powder inside the tea-bags! ;)

In the easter holidays I'll be going to the Masai Mara game reserve with a Danish medicine student that is working in Kenya - looking very much forward to that!!! :) Other than that my plans are: returning to Nairobi on April 20th and going home to Copenhagen on April 27th...

Hello girls (and guys!)...

Haven't posted here in ages - but thanks to greety you've all been updated a bit on my 'adventures' here in Kenya! :wink: And I've been updated about news from the U2 camp (Thanks! :hug: )...

Hope everyone is doing great! :yes:

This is my last day here in Nyamira - tomorrow I'll (hopefully!!! :huh: ) be going back to Nairobi, stay there for a week and then its back to Copenhagen! :hyper:

Looking forward to get home to a bit more reliable internet connection (and the blue crack)! :wink:

Take care! :D

Hi girls...

I'm back! :D

I've had the best time ever - got to know some amazing people and see a wonderful country! :yes:

Watch this space for pics... :wink:

Okay, I've uploaded a few pics...

These are from my visit to the rain forest in Kakamega (eastern Kenya, little north of Lake Victoria) - I spend a weekend there, just taking some time away from my studies and spending some times with a friend of mine that were in Kenya at the same time as me, but lived in a different location...

So, this is not where I stayed (my "home" was about 500 km south of this place - more or less half way between Lake Victoria and the Tazanian border actually) - this is just "vacation"-pics! :wink:

I will upload pics from my "home" later plus pics from my easter holiday in the Masai Mara game reserve...

View over the rain forest:

DSC00826.jpg

DSC00825.jpg

Inside the rain forest:

Junglesti1.jpg

Trae2.jpg

(The white person to the left, hiding behind a tree, is me...)

A monkey in a tree top - we saw 100s and 100s of these:

Abe4.jpg

The top of an old "umbrella tree":

DSC00848.jpg

Our "luxury hotel" in the rain forest - a traditional Kenyan 'banda':

DSC00837.jpg

DSC00833.jpg

More pics to come soon! :wave:

OMG, those pics take my breath away! They are absolutely gorgeous and now I have one more country on my list of places to visit before I die! :wink: Looking forward to seeing more pics, and thanks for these, Merc!! :bow:

Very nice pics Dorthe!! :wave:

Sorry I got her so late, I seemed to have missed your follow-up here. You could have told me dear :wink:

but as I said, verrry nice :up:
Can't wait for the rest.

btw, do you have pics form the inside of your luxurious hotel?? ;)

greety said:
Very nice pics Dorthe!! :wave:

Sorry I got her so late, I seemed to have missed your follow-up here. You could have told me dear :wink:

but as I said, verrry nice :up:
Can't wait for the rest.

Hey Greta! :wave:

Sorry! :reject: I'll remember to tell you next time! :wink:

I have pics from inside our lux. hotel - will upload them when I get home! :D

From the Easter Holiday in the Masai Mara game reserve...

Lions:

DSC00941.jpg

DSC00945.jpg

DSC01027.jpg

DSC01099.jpg

Lioness that has just killed a warthog:

DSC00986.jpg

...aaaand a few more lions:
DSC01056.jpg

DSC01059.jpg

We also saw a few other animals...

Black Rhinos (we actually saw 3 of them together which is VERY rare!):
DSC00963.jpg

DSC00959.jpg

Baboons:
DSC00995.jpg

Zebras:
DSC00914.jpg

Giraffes:
DSC00926.jpg

DSC01076.jpg

More pics later! :wave:

Okay, this will be the last round of pics that I post - if any of you want to see more pics of the Western Highlands in Kenya (or more animals in the Masai Mara! You wouldn't believe who many pics I have from that place! :lol: ) feel free to post a request - there's a good chance I've taken a pic of it! :D :reject:

greety said:

First of all, to answer Gretas request - oh, yes :wink: ...this was what it looked like from the inside:

DSC00845.jpg

DSC00846.jpg

And now to some pics from "my home" in the Western Highlands where I did all my research. I was in Kenya for 3 months - spend 3 weeks at the Ministry of Health in Nairobi (2 weeks when I arrived in Kenya and 1 just before I left) and the rest of the time in the Highlands where I studied a drug supply system.

This drug supply system was funded by the Belgian government some years ago, and the Belgian donor left two years ago - this is one of the things that made this project very special, because in other places where this kind of drug supply system has been implemented it as always collapsed when the donors left (more or less) and real success stories are rare...

So, after 2 weeks in a very big (I'm used to Copenhagen with 1.5 million people - Nairobi has about 5 million, which is the same size as the entire population of Denmark! :lol: ) and hectic city like Nairobi I travelled half way across Kenya to the most rural of the rural places you could ever imagine, where they had not seen white people since the Belgians left two years ago... I honestly don't know what I had expected, but I was very, very positively surprised and despite all the strange things that have happend and all the delays and everything I loved it! The place, the people - everything, but especially the people! :heart: Kenyans are amazing people... It has been a once-in-a-lifetime experience and theres no doubt in my mind that I'll go back and visit Kenya and more of Africa one day...

Okay, with that introduction, here's the pics:

The Western Highlands are tea country - tea bushes and tea factories everywhere! Typical field for a small tea farmer:
Themark4.jpg

"My home":
DSC00777.jpg

Not the worst place in the world to sit and write your Masters!
DSC00776.jpg

A few pics from the town where I lived:
DSC01114.jpg

DSC00769.jpg

DSC01112.jpg

And a few school children I greeted on their home for lunch break:
Skoleboern.jpg

The children was so interested in me because I was white - the majority of them had never seen a white person before in their life! I don't know how many school children I've waved to or hands I've shaken, but at some point it felt like the entire district! :lol: Some days when most of the children from an entire school gathered around me I felt like a famous rock star named "Mzungu"! :lol: ("Mzungu" means "white person" in Kiswahili and the children shouted it after me all the time) The kids were just wonderful! :cute:

Back
Top Bottom