Attachments! - You're all going to hate me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Unfortunately, while I had hoped that attachments on the forum would be used within reason... certain persons have been abusing this priviledged feature...

Signature images of 315k... are NOT ok... lol.
Neither are sig images of 90k!
Even for people on cable/dsl... sig images that large start to really slow down the loading speed of each page... not to mention.. the server.

As a result, for the time being, I have no limited all NEW attachments on the forum to not exceed 50k.

My only other options are to moderate ALL attachments on the forum, or/and then having one single 'upload' forum where ALL attachments would go and would be managed... with either of these ideas we would not have the 50k size limit.

I'd like to hear your comments/ideas on my ideas... and the problem...

while saddening, it's quite understandable. I like the idea of the uploads forum.
oo my sig is 60k... hope that's o..k.. heh

Last edited:
I think thats very reasonable Elvis. Big sigs are a pain in the arse. I know most people have very fast connections but I am one of the dinosaurs with a really slow connection and the big sigs took forever to load.
In the end I gave up and changed my options so now I don't see any sigs.

I'm sure I'm one of the people that was abusin' it...I didn't realize it. I apologize, and this new rule makes sense.

No prob!

I am also guilty of the attachment-itis.....:(

Is this upload forum the same as the picture archive that was discussed a while back?

now off to check my sig....

*edited* to ask is that why now all attached pictures are coming up as links as opposed to seeing the actual picture?

Last edited:
does this mean we should keep the images we link to in our sig small as well? Or does the size limit only apply to the images we attach?

i'll change mine anyway.. i'm spoiled by fast modems at all my computers and forget what it's like to use those dinosaur modems.

Don't hate me but I'm glad. I have had so much trouble loading pages sometimes I just give up. I thought about putting certain people on ignore because of their sigs and I didn't want to have to block all sigs, only the ones that clog my computer. Already I avoid threads I see Naya has posted in because her sig literally freezes my computer and causes my mouse icon to disappear so I can't even scroll past it! If I accidently pass her sig and it gets stuck most of the time I am forced to turn off the computer and restart it- the improper way, since without a mouse icon I can't click my start menu. I didn't want to spoil anyone 's fun but in a way it's good to hear I'm not the only one having trouble. I never thought about that, that eventually all the cool goodies might start to slow down or clog the main server.

Does this go for posted pics by attachment too? I'll have to click on them and see how many K they are, guess that rules out any bitmaps, they're huge files!

I do agree that some of the larger sigs can be too much....

D4B---if your mouse gets stuck, try alt + f4.... that will close out the current window you have open (assuming that you are on a pc not a mac)... or even try ctrl+alt+del to reboot... that way you are not running the risk of losing things by shutting down improperly.

Yes, like Daisy said why are attachments not showing up now? If we can't use them so much we'll have to go back to posting, but most of the services won't work anymore:(

Why won't MSN work here? :confused: Is there any way to make it work? If it would, I'd post from it instead of using attachments.

Yes, PLEBA is very hard to load and I only click on threads I really want to see because it's just so hard on the computer and everything takes so long. Some of the really big moving sigs are a pain, but the little animated gifs are okay. LOL @ 'used within reason'- I know most of us abused the features, but it was like being kids in a free toy store, it was there, it was fun and we just couldn't stop. We're sorry. :eek:

Last edited:
Elivis-

your point is well made, and your new rules are reasonable (as usual). my computer has been getting super-bogged down as a result of the gif sigs...but oh how i love staring at them....at any rate....you have a good point.

To anybody who wants to use my gifs for their web sites or anything, I still have that web page full of them. Feel free to take them and use them as you please (most of the files are too large to be sigs, but you can still use them for other purposes, if you wish). If you want the URL, you can check an old thread or PM me.

If anybody wants an image cropped or resized, I can try to help you out. If there was a still image from a gif you liked, I could try my best to get that as well.

daisybean said:
I do agree that some of the larger sigs can be too much....

D4B---if your mouse gets stuck, try alt + f4.... that will close out the current window you have open (assuming that you are on a pc not a mac)... or even try ctrl+alt+del to reboot... that way you are not running the risk of losing things by shutting down improperly.

Thanks Daisy, I'll try that! I have a PC but if it's on my main MSN window doing that will log me off but that's still better than an improper shutdown!

Jam Jar I have no prob with your sig. I have no prob with any of Bonochick's gifs. The ones that get me are naya's, LivLuvandbootlegmusic's and the one daisy used to have but got rid of (thanks) There have been a few more here and there but I don't remember whose, but those were the worst ones, whatever they're made of.

Jody said:
I think thats very reasonable Elvis. Big sigs are a pain in the arse. I know most people have very fast connections but I am one of the dinosaurs with a really slow connection and the big sigs took forever to load.
In the end I gave up and changed my options so now I don't see any sigs.

I agree. I also have a slow connection (56 modem) and sometimes it takes a long time to load a thread. I wish I had a faster connection but I don't. Damn.

Thank you Elvis! I love looking at the sigs but my slow connection didn't care for them much. But like the others have asked, how do you know when your sig is illegal, size wise?

Now I'm having hassles downloading attachments. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, if it's my ISP (Worldnet) or my modem. Probably both. Damn!

I'll try to answer some questions since Elvis is busy.

daisybean said:
*edited* to ask is that why now all attached pictures are coming up as links as opposed to seeing the actual picture?

The attachments are slowing down the server apparently.

oliveu2cm said:
does this mean we should keep the images we link to in our sig small as well? Or does the size limit only apply to the images we attach?

Technically, the size doesnt matter if you're linking a pic from somewhere else (different server).. but be courteous as to not have them too big for people that have trouble waiting for pages to load.

The size limit technically only applies to attached images.

Back
Top Bottom