Arise SIR BONO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: But he won't really be a SIR

adrball said:
you're quick off the mark!

:bow:

edit: holy fuck, I've just posted in PLEBA

Yup, caught you out! :wink:

So this is for real?!? :ohmy: Bono's actually up for a honorary knighthood?!? :hyper: High time me says, ooh yes me likes it, Sir Bono!!! :combust:

Last edited:
Bono, K.B.E. OH YES! I know the name. Ahaha, get me. Or more, Paul Hewson, K.B.E. but they'll call him Sir Bono all the same. The papers, I mean. Ah, still, it'll be Sir Bono and Sir Bob. How the media shall take the piss... But we still know that, although at times the two can look slightly pompous, they're doing a lot of good, along with many other people. It makes me realise how selfish I can be. OK, I'll stop myself before it turns into a ramble.

But aye, well done Bono.

This scan by hcbiggs ... Two shining Knights :happy:

bonobobheroseuroTime11-13-06.jpg

I just hurried in to post this but I see I'm a little too slow :wink:

Saturday, December 23, 2006
DUBLIN, Ireland - Irish rocker and humanitarian Bono will become a knight of the British empire - but the U2 frontman won't be called "Sir."

Britain confirmed Saturday Bono will receive his honorary knighthood from the British ambassador to Ireland, David Reddaway, in a Dublin ceremony shortly after New Year's Day.

The Dubliner, whose real name is Paul Hewson, won't be entitled to use the title "Sir" because he is not a national of Britain or the Commonwealth of former British colonies.

A spokesman said the 46-year-old singer was flattered by the honor and hoped it will help him open diplomatic doors in his campaign for more Western aid to Africa.

In a letter to Bono released Saturday, British Prime Minister Tony Blair said the singer's lobbying had forced wealthy nations to focus on increasing aid to Africa.

"I know from talking to you how much these causes matter to you," Blair wrote. "I know as well how knowledgeable you are about the problems we face and how determined you are to do all you can to help overcome them. You have tirelessly used your voice to speak up for Africa."

Blair said he hoped to keep working with Bono "to work together to maintain momentum on Africa, and ensure leaders around the world meet the promises they have made."

The British Embassy in Dublin said the Irish government approved granting Bono the title. The issue is diplomatically sensitive, because Irish officials are legally barred from receiving British royal honors and other Irish nationals have refused nominations on political grounds. Ireland withdrew from the Commonwealth in 1949.

Previous non-British nationals who received knighthoods include Bono's fellow Dubliner and rocker-turned-humanitarian Bob Geldof, Bill Gates, the Spanish opera singer Placido Domingo, Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal, former New York Mayor Rudolf Giuliani, and Steven Spielberg.

(Courtesy of People PC)

He so totally deserves this :applaud:

Last edited:
Galeongirl said:

they call Bob Sir Bob Geldof.... so why would they not call Bono Sir Bono?

The Dubliner, whose real name is Paul Hewson, won't be entitled to use the title "Sir" because he is not a national of Britain or the Commonwealth of former British colonies.

it's a technicality

I think with Bob it's used unofficially, too

Galeongirl said:

they call Bob Sir Bob Geldof.... so why would they not call Bono Sir Bono?

I'm sure they will, but since there are so many jokes about his mesianic complex (including his own jokes), i can't help but think it's going to become the butt of jokes.
As much as he deserves the recognition, and he sure does, I prefer Bono just to stay plain Bono. The young kid full of dreams who's become what he is today. An amazing man. No need for the word Sir in front of it.

Last edited:
Sad_Girl said:

it's a technicality

I think with Bob it's used unofficially, too

I know it's unofficial, but what I meant to say is that they are probably going to call Bono sir as they call Bob sir... I don't think the press cares whether it's official or not... :)

oh YDW, I already had an idea you'd like that... :shame: behave yourself woman!

:flirt:

thankyou said:

I'm sure they will, but since there are so many jokes about his mesianic complex (including his own), i can't help but think it's going to become the butt of jokes.
As much as he deserves the recognition, and he sure does, I prefer Bono just to stay plain Bono. The young kid full of dreams who's become what he is today. An amazing man. No need for the word Sir in front of it.

I feel the same way :yes:

This is the text of Blair's letter to Bono:

[q]I am absolutely delighted that you have accepted an honorary KBE in recognition of your outstanding contribution to music and for your remarkable humanitarian work.

I'll leave it to others far more knowledgeable than me to talk about U2's music. All I'll say is that, along with millions of others right across the world, I am a huge fan. But I feel a little more qualified to talk about your personal commitment to tackling global poverty and, in particular, to Africa.

I know from talking to you how much these causes matter to you. I know as well how knowledgeable you are about the problems we face and how determined you are to do all you can to help overcome them. You have tirelessly used your voice to speak up for Africa.

I want personally to thank you for the invaluable role you played in the run up to the Gleneagles G8 Summit. Without your personal contribution, we could not have achieved the results we did. So thank you and I look forward to continuing to work together to maintain momentum on Africa, and ensure leaders around the world meet the promises they have made.

Both in your music and in your determination to help tackle global poverty, you have been an inspiration.[/q]

seajewel said:
I'm surprised that he is accepting it ...:ohmy:

what if he didnt accept it?
wouldnt he get criticised for denying the Queen's honour? :ohmy:

he deserves it. good job Bono :up:

firstlove said:
Isn't he already a knight in France??

anyway, congrats to Bono, he definately deserves it!

Yes, he's a chevalier de legion d'honneur, he got that title on february 28th 2003
it roughly translates as knight in the legion of honour...

And like you said Gg, he is a peace fighter, not a rebel. So I think there is no reason for him not to accept. Well said. :)

I have seen photos of Bono with just about everyone on the planet. (Except me :( ... unless you count wax-Bono :hmm: )
But I've not seen one of him with the queen. Does it exist?

What an amazing life this man has had so far! Is there anything left for him to achieve?? He's done it all.

Well done Bono, from the "kid full of dreams from Ballymun" to now. We love you.

Back
Top Bottom