Arise SIR BONO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:dance: :happy: :dance:

Yaaaaaayyyyyyy!!!!! :applaud:

I'm soooooo happy&over the moon about this! Go Bono, Go Bono, Go Bono baby! :D :heart:

I just got up&lept about all over the place&squealed with sheer joy at this long overdue&fantastic news!

Quite the Xmas present for us U2 fans i must say - yay for 'Sir Bono'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper: :combust: :bow:

yeah, i saw on the Fox News ticker "even better than the real thing" and i was like, 'whoa thats cool that a U2 song title showed up on that', then it said queen elizabeth has given bono the honorary knighthood..and i started going "WOOHOO GO BONO!!" and such

Celticfc said:
this is a feckin joke. Another Irishman taking a kinghthood from the crown. I feel sick.

I thought about that. Despite relative "peace" between the Repulic of Ireland and the UK, there are still 8500 British troops in Northern Ireland and it's a contested issue. I know the title is honorary and doesn't mean Bono is on board with everything Blair supports (Iraq, plus the UK continuing to have a foothold in Northern Ireland without ever having apologized for the massacres of the 20th century...and I'm not UK bashing. Bush is the president of my country. :( ) but I wonder if he is all wary of accepting it...

:hmm:

Congratulations...Well done (Sir) Bono.
th1champagnesp3.gif
Your hard work and efforts are being acknowledged with such honor.

Even my mom thought he was overdue for knighthood. :D:
I'm surprised he accepted the honour, because of the bad history between Ireland and England. Bono, however, seems so gracious when accepting awards, and I'm sure he accepted honourary knighthood as a friendly, diplomatic gesture to the people of the UK.

Besides, he gets to make Ali his "Lady". :D:

Congrats, Bono! :rockon:

Kristin Machina said:
Even my mom thought he was overdue for knighthood. :D:
I'm surprised he accepted the honour, because of the bad history between Ireland and England. Bono, however, seems so gracious when accepting awards, and I'm sure he accepted honourary knighthood as a friendly, diplomatic gesture to the people of the UK.

Besides, he gets to make Ali his "Lady". :D:

Congrats, Bono! :rockon:

Unfortunately just as he doesn't officially get to use the Title "Sir" she doesn't officially get to be "Lady", but you know everyone's gonna use them anyway.

Dana

ruffian said:

I thought about that. Despite relative "peace" between the Repulic of Ireland and the UK, there are still 8500 British troops in Northern Ireland and it's a contested issue. I know the title is honorary and doesn't mean Bono is on board with everything Blair supports (Iraq, plus the UK continuing to have a foothold in Northern Ireland without ever having apologized for the massacres of the 20th century...and I'm not UK bashing. Bush is the president of my country. :( ) but I wonder if he is all wary of accepting it...

:hmm:

Why would he???
He's getting this for his services to music, its just another award whats the problem??
It seems to me that as long as he's getting recognised everywhere else in the world thats fine but as soon as the UK does it wham!! and yes you are UK bashing.

Last edited:
It's good to see that Bono's good work has been recognised, congrats to him.

Like many other, I wonder how he feels about this and whether he will accept it without reservations. That said, would it bring anything good or positive to his work if he were to reject the honorary title?

He has already accepted it and is flattered at the honour, there is no hard fast reason for him to refuse it.

I guess that ppl are going to question this if he accepts it and also question it if he doesn't. Hmmm..seems like he can't win. That said, I don't know why it has to be political anyway. The guy deserves recognition and that's that...

youvedonewhat said:
I guess that ppl are going to question this if he accepts it and also question it if he doesn't. Hmmm..seems like he can't win. That said, I don't know why it has to be political anyway. The guy deserves recognition and that's that...

Exactly!

Bono's Tart said:

Why would he???
He's getting this for his services to music, its just another award whats the problem??
It seems to me that as long as he's getting recognised everywhere else in the world thats fine but as soon as the UK does it wham!! and yes you are UK bashing.

sorry you are offended--I tried to phrase it so that it was clear that I wasn't bashing the UK. Having said that, I don't support the presence of British troops in Northern Ireland. I spent part of last summer there studying the peace process, and Britain's influence and the legacy of brutality is still very much present. So I don't agree with decisions British politicians have made. I also don't agree with anything the President of my country has done. It's a political opinion, not a personal assault. I adore my friends who live in the UK and respect/appreciate the history and culture there.

I *was* pointing out that there has been conflict between the UK and the Republic of Ireland since, oh, about 1916. Blair is a political representative of England. By extension, he symbolizes the Crown, and things the crown stands for. England has not given northern Ireland autonomy, and I believe the song Sunday, Bloody Sunday speaks to Bono's former concerns about that. So I'm simply wondering if he might have ambivalence about accepting the award. I'm not saying he shouldn't--just that perhaps some of these thoughts might occur to him.
Effanbee said:
It's good to see that Bono's good work has been recognised, congrats to him.

Like many other, I wonder how he feels about this and whether he will accept it without reservations. That said, would it bring anything good or positive to his work if he were to reject the honorary title?

that's a good point--it could create more conflict if he didn't accept it--at the same time, maybe it would signal that northern ireland is not independent yet...but Bono is a bridge-builder, and since I assume he's accepted, perhaps it's all idle speculation. But the Troubles have only been (kind of) "over" (i.e., no killing in the streets) for 6 years. So I still see it as an issue.

Last edited:
ruffian said:

sorry you are offended--I tried to phrase it so that it was clear that I wasn't bashing the UK. Having said that, I don't support the presence of British troops in Northern Ireland. I spent part of last summer there studying the peace process, and Britain's influence and the legacy of brutality is still very much present. So I don't agree with decisions British politicians have made. I also don't agree with anything the President of my country has done. It's a political opinion, not a personal assault. I adore my friends who live in the UK and respect/appreciate the history and culture there.

I *was* pointing out that there has been conflict between the UK and the Republic of Ireland since, oh, about 1916. Blair is a political representative of England. By extension, he symbolizes the Crown, and things the crown stands for. England has not given northern Ireland autonomy, and I believe the song Sunday, Bloody Sunday speaks to Bono's former concerns about that. So I'm simply wondering if he might have ambivalence about accepting the award. I'm not saying he shouldn't--just that perhaps some of these thoughts might occur to him.

I can see your point regarding Britain and Ireland and your point regarding that Bono being Irish might have reservations about accepting an honour from Britain. But he seems to be a very diplomatic man. I've seen him in interviews and the way he manages to 'skirt' round questions that would best remain unanswered. I see no reason for him not wanting to accept his knighthood. As was said earlier; at the end of the day it's just another award.

ruffian said:

Everyone has their own opinions on Northern Ireland (maybe the troops should now come out) to which each and everyone one of us is entitled, but in reality it has absolutely no relevance to accepting an award for his contributions to music and his ongoing fight for Africa.

Bono's Tart said:

Everyone has their own opinions on Northern Ireland (maybe the troops should now come out) to which each and everyone one of us is entitled, but in reality it has absolutely no relevance to accepting an award for his contributions to music and his ongoing fight for Africa.

I fully respect your right to hold that opinion and I don't see it as anything personal...I simply disagree, and I do think it has relevance. :shrug:

Having said that, Bono's done great work and certainly deserves the recognition for his work. The best recognition, of course, would be for all the world leaders who made promises at the G8 summit last year to make good on promises of debt relief (including the U.S.)

I don't know the source for this article (someone emailed it to me) but the author points out that the nomination *is* politically sensitive.

"DUBLIN, Ireland --Irish rocker and humanitarian Bono will become a knight of the British empire -- but the U2 frontman won't be called "Sir."

Britain confirmed Saturday Bono will receive his honorary knighthood from the British ambassador to Ireland, David Reddaway, in a Dublin ceremony shortly after New Year's Day.

The Dubliner, whose real name is Paul Hewson, won't be entitled to use the title "Sir" because he is not a national of Britain or the Commonwealth of former British colonies.
A spokesman said the 46-year-old singer was flattered by the honor and hoped it will help him open diplomatic doors in his campaign for more Western aid to Africa.

In a letter to Bono released Saturday, British Prime Minister Tony Blair said the singer's lobbying had forced wealthy nations to focus on increasing aid to Africa.

"I know from talking to you how much these causes matter to you," Blair wrote. "I know as well how knowledgeable you are about the problems we face and how determined you are to do all you can to help overcome them. You have tirelessly used your voice to speak up for Africa."

Blair said he hoped to keep working with Bono "to work together to maintain momentum on Africa, and ensure leaders around the world meet the promises they have made."

The issue is diplomatically sensitive, because Irish officials are legally barred from receiving British royal honors and other Irish nationals have refused nominations on political grounds. Ireland withdrew from the Commonwealth in 1949.

The British Embassy in Dublin said the Irish government approved granting Bono the title. Previous non-British nationals who received knighthoods include Bono's fellow Dubliner and rocker-turned-humanitarian Bob Geldof, Bill Gates, the Spanish opera singer Placido Domingo, Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal, former New York Mayor Rudolf Giuliani, and Steven Spielberg."

end of making my point--back to regularly scheduled Pleba activities :wink:

Last edited:
Well, since Bono cannot be called "Sir Bono" because he is Irish, can we now officially call him "Your Holiness"? (that was what Sir Paul McCartney said what the other Beatles were calling him after he was knighted)

YAAAAAY!!! Wooo HOOOO! :up: :dancing:

Absolutely FANTASTIC news! Well overdue it would seem.

We all know he deserves it....and there's a certain ring to (the unofficial) 'sir' Bono... I'm quite sure it'll catch on!

Back
Top Bottom