Are your sockets ready?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lady luck

Rock n' Roll Doggie
This is an Italian tradition: it is believed that on Jan. 6 a very ugly and old woman (in Italian, she's called BEFANA) goes around, flying on a sweeper, to bring kids -- and grown-ups, too! -- sweets & bon-bon if they were good or coke if they were bad.
She puts heg gifts into the sockets -- you have to leave them outside a door, a window or something else...

So, are your sockets ready?

LOL. what a tradition.

So let me get this straight? A witch flys around on her broom and gives sweets and lollies to those that were good and coal to those that were bad? And she leaves the lolles or coal in a stocking?

Do the parents have to do fill up the stockings over night? We do something similar here. The parents fill up the stockings on Christmas eve and tell the children Santa Claus did it.

yes beli, you have it right.
But she's not a witch... she's just an old, ugly woman.
and she's got an absurd nose -- something like Cyrano de Bergerac, but not exactly!

...argh... I just realised I mispelled a word: of course it's COAL and not COKE...
Sorry, dunno what I was thinking about!

There a few types of witches. A hag is an ugly old witch with a large nose. Usually she has a hair growing out of a wart on her nose.

You didnt mispell coal. Coke is a coal. The term "coke" is used in the mining industry. The term "coal" is used in households. So you were correct. No mispelling.

Back
Top Bottom