Are you a girly-girl?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
Honestly, I have no clue where this thread idea came from, but please amuse me anyway. Make your case why or why not:

I am NOT a girly-girl. Yes, I wear make-up, semi-trendy clothes, I like to shop, go to the beach, and other girl stuff BUT

my job is fixing computers, printers, sound and prejection equipment
I have lots of tools and use them more than my dad uses his
I like real fishing, read I can tie the right knot for a hook, put on the tackle, bait the hook, take the fish off, etc
I wear make-up so I don't look dead, not to look pretty
I never do anything with my hair besides some kind of ponytail, I usually don't even use a brush to put it up
I like "gross" animals like fish, frogs, newts
I prefer fixing or building things over arts and crafts
I work a lot and am not spoiled, or in anyway financially supported by my parents
I'm majoring in Business/Communications, not nursing or education
I operate an outboard motor (the kind you pull-start)
Gladiator and war movies are my favorite movies
I took an e-test that guessed my gender was a guy
I know all sorts of important stuff about contracting and home improvements (thanks dad!)
I'm a daddy's girl
I'm neither surprised nor grossed out to come home and find three gutted deer hanging in our garage
I've eaten a squirrel on a stick
I wear the pants in my relationship, so to speak
I'll dig around in the stinky muck if I think I can catch a nice frog, turtle, or get some cool swamp plants for my tanks
I love camping and backpacking, and not the kind where you get running water and flush toilets
My most expensive purchases include electronics and camping equipment
I like to consider myself a very practical person

I suppose that's enough for now. Your turn....

It's true,
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic wears the pants in this relationship. :shrug: :hug:

I took that same test that she took and it told me I was "definately female."
I don't own any tools.
I want to work with kids...or...be a home dad!

So...yes. I am a girly girl.

Last edited:
:wink: Both!:yes: shoot, Liv we should go camping/fishing! I am creative, love nature and animals(i'll cook, u can 'clean 'em', I like creating on a computer(as in interior decorating/home improvements( Liv+-We need to talk!!-i like make-up-but love horses and everything about them! But i grew up a tomboy! I'm only now discovering my femine side! As far as wearing the pants- i'm up for negociating!:wink:

I think I'm pretty balanced...not a total girly-girl, but I don't have a lot of "masculine" hobbies or characteristics, I don't think.

I guess the best way to put it is that I swear like a guy, but my lips are covered with pretty lipstick. ;)

I'm a girlie-girl, although I don't wear makeup. I love glittery objects, art deco pins and such, work as a book junkie and artist, and of course the friendly local :censored: smilie is my friend.

:hmm: I like wearing pastels sometimes, don't care a whole lot about sports and I enjoy cooking. I always put on at least a little makeup if I'm going out in public. But I never wear eye shadow or mascara and refuse to wear high heels (last time I wore them was for my job interview more than three years ago). I also would rather undergo root canal than watch Steel Magnolias, Terms of Endearment or just about any movie starring Julia Roberts. So I'm not exactly a girly-girl but I'm hardly a tomboy either.

Not much of a girly-girl, either. I really do not care for wearing makeup, and will wear it only for one of three reasons: 1, if it's part of a Halloween costume; 2, for a really special occasion, like a wedding or prom or whatever; or 3, if I'm in some play or something. And I'll only wear dresses and high heels for very special occasions, otherwise, I'm perfectly happy in sneakers, jeans, and a sweatshirt or something. And I rarely ever do anything with my hair-again, I would only do stuff to my hair for the same three reasons I would ever wear makeup. I also am not one who uses glitter often, nor am I one who paints her toenails or fingernails often. I'm also not much of a cook. And depending on the situation, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty.

However, sports is far from being my thing-I'm much happier writing, drawing, and reading, all three of which are not considered "tough-guy" activities, whereas sports tends to be seen as such for the most part, so... And I hate trying to build or fix things. And while I enjoy the occasional action flick, I do tend to watch some "chick flicks" (although, like Bono's shades, I'm not a Julia Roberts person-the movie "My Best Friend's Wedding" was one of the movies we watched on our way out to New York, and I didn't care much for it at all. And as far as the other movies she mentioned go, I've never even seen "Terms Of Endearment" or "Steel Magnolias", nor do I have this inane desire to see them anytime soon).

So take from that what you will.

Angela

I'm sorta in between I guess... I wear a little bit of makeup regularly (read: eyeliner) but I won't do anything to my hair other than wash it and comb it.
However, I'm the only person in my apartment that can actually DO anything. They call me the Dad. If anything needs to be fixed (doors, broken light bulbs, screens that fell out, someone tripped a circuit breaker) or put together (futons) or set up (the whole entertainment system), it's my job.

Plus I'm in college so I can get a job playing in the dirt.
I'm a little girly, but compared to the rest of my friends, not at all.
and I had one of them gender tests tell me I was a guy, too

I'm not very girly at all. I have very long hair, that's my main girly thing and i do have some feminine mannerisms and hobbies. I don't wear make up or skirts/dresses. I wear jeans and men's sneakers everyday.

I'm look like a boy

some girls fall in love with me thinking that I'm a boy, in spite of that I have long hair, I don't know, they think that is a "rocker" style or something

:huh:

So, I don't believe that I'm very girly

...I forgot to add that I wear skirts on a fairly regular basis.
Well, not right now cause it's too damn cold, but if it warmed up about 30 degrees I would be.
and if I'm dressing up, I wear heels. None of them little wussy short heels, I wear heels.
Yet I still say I'm not a girly girl :flirt:

I almost always wear makeup just because I hate the way I look w/ out it. I like clothes, jewelry, and makeup, but I'm not a slave to that stuff. I like being comfortable, and I've never worn heels because I'm almost 5'10", and they're just so uncomfortable.

I like watching sports, and don't mind doing chores or whatever that might get me dirty. I can't cook, sew, or do crafts, and I don't like any of that stuff.

I guess the most "girly" side of me, even though I hate these kinds of stereotypes (nothing against this thread of course :) ) is that I'm very sensitive and emotional.

How I'm girly:
1. I LOVE makeup. LOVE LOVE LOVE. I have ... Waaaay too much of it. I'm an addict.
2. I love ANYTHING that sparkles. Total magpie. I don't care if it's a diamond or just cheap glitter in a can. If it's shiney, me wantee.
3. I think even my runners are heels.
4. I go mushy over kittens and puppies.
5. I hate sports.
6. I hate camping.
7. I love classical music, poetry, literature.
8. Martinis are a girl's best friend.

How I'm not girly at all:
1. I've never lost a fist fight. Ever.
2. Burning stuff is a hobby of mine. Fire is cool. As are things that go BOOM.
3. I swear like a f*cking sailor. If you don't like it ... well you can kiss my ass.
4. I have a little problem with authority figures. If you want me to do something, tell me not to do it.
5. I'm really really direct. If I don't like you or something you say ... well I'll let you know. I'm not really afraid of being disliked.
6. I have a completely perverted sense of humor.
7. I drive like a bat out of hell.
8. I hate asking people for help. I'd really rather roll naked through a hallway of broken glass.
9. Blood and guts don't scare me. Neither do spiders, predatory animals, snakes, mice, insects ... I want to be a paramedic in a year at the MOST.
10. I love getting my hands dirty.
11. I hate romantic comedies. I find very strange things romantic. "You'd take your phone off the hook during sex with me?" AWWWWWW.

That's just a little of it. I guess the gist of it is that I LOOK completely girly but underneath, I'm pretty tough.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I guess the most "girly" side of me, even though I hate these kinds of stereotypes (nothing against this thread of course :) ) is that I'm very sensitive and emotional.

:yes: Same here. I also forgot that I can't sew or do the crafts stuff, either, nor do I really have a desire to try it (the crafts stuff leans into building things, which, again, I'm not too fond of, and the sewing bit would probably just bore and frustrate me after a while). And another thing that would make me lean toward the feminine side-I have so many stuffed animals it's not even funny. Teddy bears, stuffed dogs and cats, dolls, Beanie Babies, you name it. I also had Barbie dolls as a kid and played with them all the time.

Originally posted by bluephisto
9. Blood and guts don't scare me. Neither do spiders, predatory animals, snakes, mice, insects ...

Mice don't bother me. I might be startled if I see one scurry somewhere all of a sudden, but they don't really bother me-I actually find them rather cute. My mom strongly disagrees with me, however-mice freak her out. Now rats, on the other hand, those would definitely bother me...

And insects for the most part do bother me, with the exception of butterflies, ladybugs (so long as they're the red ones. I don't like orange ones anymore, 'cause they flooded our house last summer and became a real nuisance), and caterpillars. And while I certainly would be nervous around a snake if it came anywhere near me (with the exception of garden snakes, 'cause those are harmless), I can see them on T.V. without being afraid of 'em-and my sister would strongly disagree with me here, too.

But blood and guts make me queasy-I really hate hearing stories about people breaking certain bones or having body parts twisted into icky positions or seeing that kind of thing...it's just, ugh. And spiders-oh, lord, don't even get me started on how much I hate those things.

Angela

Last edited:
I'm a mix, I guess.:scratch: I love dresses(more comfortable than pants because of my shape-BIG hips, small waist), won't leave the house w/o make-up, fuss w/hair(not really-fuss once in the morning. then leave it to it's own devices),lots of jewelry,etc. BUT...I tend to have a very masculine side as well-cuss like a sailor, despise "chick flicks":barf:, would rather hang out with the guys, etc. 2 of my favorite movies are "Mortal Combat " and "Predator"-give me mindless violence over warm fuzzies any day! I'm one of those types of women who could probably do anything a man could do, but if there's a man around-LET HIM DO IT!! I'm a definite Gemini!! :huh:

julie

Moonlit_Angel said:

And spiders-oh, lord, don't even get me started on how much I hate those things.

Yeah, I don't mind insects, I even had a pet Madagascar hissing cockroach once, but SPIDERS *shudder* I've had issues with them since before I could talk.

My grandma used to watch me when I was around 18 months old. One day I was sitting in the high chair for lunch and she noticed I was staring at the ceiling. She couldn't get me to move or make a sound, and she thought I'd gone off the deep-end so she called my grandpa home from work. He tried to get me to look away, but I was frozen. They finally figured out that the huge cracks in their ceiling looked like a giant spider.

I hate spiders so much, and they bring out all of my rage. If I find one that scares me and he doesn run away, I end up pouring bleach or shampoo on it b/c I hate squishing them. Or I just put a cup over it for someone else to kill it. It's only spiders though. Daddy long legs don't bother me one bit, I'm used to catching them for frog food.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Yeah, I don't mind insects, I even had a pet Madagascar hissing cockroach once,

:ohmy:...

Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
but SPIDERS *shudder* I've had issues with them since before I could talk.

My grandma used to watch me when I was around 18 months old. One day I was sitting in the high chair for lunch and she noticed I was staring at the ceiling. She couldn't get me to move or make a sound, and she thought I'd gone off the deep-end so she called my grandpa home from work. He tried to get me to look away, but I was frozen. They finally figured out that the huge cracks in their ceiling looked like a giant spider.

LOL.

I hate spiders so much, and they bring out all of my rage. If I find one that scares me and he doesn run away, I end up pouring bleach or shampoo on it b/c I hate squishing them. Or I just put a cup over it for someone else to kill it.

I don't kill spiders if everyone else is home. I make it known that there's a spider nearby, and someone else kills it. I only kill them if I'm the only one at home. And even then, I use a shoe or something, and then grab huge wads of Kleenexs or toilet paper or napkins, 'cause there's no way I want to feel the dead spider...eww, 'kay, now I just grossed myself out with that thought.

It's only spiders though. Daddy long legs don't bother me one bit, I'm used to catching them for frog food.

Oh, god, daddy long legs scare the bejesus out of me. There's just something extremely creepy about an insect with legs that long...

But at least you have an animal you can feed them to. I don't.

Angela

interesting stuff

I'm a 'mix' fer shure.

altho I must comment that part of early 70's Feminism, at least a majority felt that - dividing these characteristics so ridgedly could damage a lot of people *both* women AND men. Remeber, too, alot of 'girly' things related to crafts/art/ & cooking, the men who excel in it certainly through most of history have been elevated above the women practitioners.

that includes me because I liked [still do] lot of 'guy' things from a young age as well as 'girly' things back when it was more frowned on [ in early-mid 60's].

Oh, I didn't know ? magpies like shiny stuff? There's a bird that loves blue stuff!

all magpie :D ! Not *all* things, but *many*- if they shine, glitter,
sparkle or glow I definatley have them on my *ever replenishible* list -as I get which ever item(s) over time!

on to more fun

'girly' stuff

I liked makeup when i was a young teen, but slowly got out of it. At some points I've tried it again, but my eyes are kind of sensitive so I had to look for speical stuff. I couldn't be bothered doing it day by day and it would also be eclipsed by interests/ hobbies I liked alot more re-ing money to spend. But I think off & on I'd like to get several nice colored eyeliners for occasional 'everday' wear and maybe some *shiney* electric- colored eyeshadow for real special occasions.

I love fashion design in general, probably because I'm an artistic type. But if I really don't like what is in fashion at the time, I won't wear it. MY mom was training in sewing & fashion design, tho she left it as a career early on.

I didn't like wearing skirts as an almost everyday thing, esp at certain places I worked {even before that as a teen}. I found pants vey comfortable!

But I've gotten to really like longer skirts [denim, wool, & light summer fabrics] below knee to ankle in the past 7 years. And a dress or two in solid bright colors. I still love & wear alot of washed jeans, black jeans, bight-colored, light-fabriced drawstring pants.

while I'm quite choosey -I love floral prints on almost any kind of clothing! Ruffled shirts!I taught myself to knit

Jelewry!!! ornate, stream-lined, biggish/ bold or delicate. I can't aford higher end stuff so I design my own, some of which is very artistic, unique, high-quality. Some women feel 'naked' without maKe-up I feel naked without at least one piece of jewelry on, or like I'm missing some 'part' of *me*.

Shawls & Scarves!

I taught myself to knit 2 yearsago.

I taught myself to cook [for myself, not a 'husband'] in my early 20's.

'guy' things

Roaches & water bugs give me the creeps, but I'm pretty comfortable around most *harmless to humans* insects, including most spiders, too <not Shelob, tho>. Praying mantises are amazing creatures.

I've always liked snakes & lizards & frogs. I do have a healthy respect/distnace for any of the poisonus kind. Lucky for me, because my Chineese astrology sign is The Snake [or Little Dragon, as it's sometimes called].:wink:

I can jury-rig certain things up, not eletrical/motor/car stuff. With, tape, duct-tape, 'bobby-pins' etc.

I do painting, drawing & sculpture. I do My mom is also good at jury-rigging stuff up.

love gadgets!!! And appreciate tools, of which I inherited some of my dad's stuff. I'm the one my rather clueless roomates look to to when needing a screwdriver, plier, etc to be used.

I also used pliers, snipers etc on my silver wire jewelry work

could use a sander, bandsaw, table saw [kind of scared of those], and did brazing [low -temp sodering/welding technique in art college. Would be happy if I had free acess to that kind of stuff again.

Love Astronomy, Cosmoloogy, enjoy geology, meteorology & oceanograhy & Quantum Physics.

Involved in political campaigns by the time I was 16

News junkie, and part policy-wonk.

guess thats the major portion
;)

Last edited:
deffinetly... just look at all my girlish charm
fleet.jpg

girly girl? nah. i do cook and sew and am known for my crafts.......but my sewing and crafting projects generally involve u2, so does that make me girly?

oh, and i scream like a little girl when i see spiders and most insects, but that's it.

i dress like a guy most days...my usual is jeans and a band tshirt. hair in a pony tail. 3 minute make up job (literally) with the cheapest stuff from the local grocery store.

i'm studying the natural sciences...want to work in the fbi's forensic science lab...look at crime scenes and figure out who did it. that's a predominantly male field.

i'm not one for pretty boys, jocks, or preppy guys. i don't go to dances, or wear dresses or skirts, or go on dates.

i HATE romantic comedy chick flicks. kill me. i infinitely prefer a good suspense or action movie.

show tunes aren't my thing, "pop" music makes my skin crawl, as does the movie grease. :yuck:.

don't particularly like the color pink, and own very little in that shade. i like simple, no frills, lace, or glitter. my fav color is red. hate shopping, especially for clothes. i only cd shop.

so yeah, i'd say i'm not a girly girl.

Moonlit_Angel said:
Not much of a girly-girl, either. I really do not care for wearing makeup, and will wear it only for one of three reasons: 1, if it's part of a Halloween costume; 2, for a really special occasion, like a wedding or prom or whatever; or 3, if I'm in some play or something. And I'll only wear dresses and high heels for very special occasions, otherwise, I'm perfectly happy in sneakers, jeans, and a sweatshirt or something. And I rarely ever do anything with my hair-again, I would only do stuff to my hair for the same three reasons I would ever wear makeup. I also am not one who uses glitter often, nor am I one who paints her toenails or fingernails often. I'm also not much of a cook. And depending on the situation, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty.

However, sports is far from being my thing-I'm much happier writing, drawing, and reading, all three of which are not considered "tough-guy" activities, whereas sports tends to be seen as such for the most part, so... And I hate trying to build or fix things. And while I enjoy the occasional action flick, I do tend to watch some "chick flicks" (although, like Bono's shades, I'm not a Julia Roberts person-the movie "My Best Friend's Wedding" was one of the movies we watched on our way out to New York, and I didn't care much for it at all. And as far as the other movies she mentioned go, I've never even seen "Terms Of Endearment" or "Steel Magnolias", nor do I have this inane desire to see them anytime soon).

So take from that what you will.

Angela

Yeah, ditto, to most of that, though I can cook.
I do watch "Kate and Leopold" whenever it's on, but then it's cos I dig Jackman's accent, the story's pretty interesting though.

I own about 5 pairs of shoes, 2 for rare dressy/formal occasions, and 3 are tennies shoes.

I like flowers and mushy lovey dovey stuff though.

Oh, yeah ^^^^. :).

I don't mind flowers, either-particularly roses-but I don't expect them every time, I can live without them. And I only have, like, two pairs of shoes-my sneakers, and then some dress shoes.

Stories for Boys said:
i'm not one for pretty boys, jocks, or preppy guys.

Same here.

Originally posted by Stories for Boys
i don't go to dances, or wear dresses or skirts, or go on dates.

Heh, I loved going to dances when I was in school, and I've been on a few dates.

Angela

Hmm... I don't have a problem with any sort of bug-type thing, as long as it's not in my living space. I like mice and rats and snakes and such, I've always wanted a pet rat or snake but nobody I ever live with will let me. I won't go see chick flicks in the theatre, or rent them, but if they're on tv I might sit and watch it.
When I watch scary movies I'm the one protecting my boyfriend.
His hair is longer than mine now.
Like Bluey said, I hate asking for help. I'll pick up the 150 lb bag of salt myself and slip a disc before I ask someone else to help me.... and when someone asks me I tend to interpret it as them thinking I can't do it myself. I inherited that from my mom.
Once I got all pissed off at a marine... we were putting a new roof on a woman's house whose husband was in Iraq and I had a wheelbarrow full of old shingles that needed to go in the dumpster, the top which was a good foot and a half over my head. I asked a guy to get the other side and he goes off looking for another man to get MY side, since I'm female and obviously lack the strength to lift up a wheelbarrow :mad:
He learned his lesson pretty quick.

Kristie said:
When I watch scary movies I'm the one protecting my boyfriend.

:p...that's great.

Originally posted by Kristie
Once I got all pissed off at a marine... we were putting a new roof on a woman's house whose husband was in Iraq and I had a wheelbarrow full of old shingles that needed to go in the dumpster, the top which was a good foot and a half over my head. I asked a guy to get the other side and he goes off looking for another man to get MY side, since I'm female and obviously lack the strength to lift up a wheelbarrow :mad:
He learned his lesson pretty quick.

LOL, I imagine so. :up:.

Angela

In my heart I'm sort of a girly girl - I love to look at pretty dresses and check out the makeup in the store, etc.

But in reality, I'm usually in a T-shirt and jeans. And I only wear lipstick if I'm going to a job interview or special event. I like the look of high heels, but I always trip in them, so I stick with flats or sneakers.

I think I'm too lazy to follow through on my girly girl ideas :lol:

Okay im not girly girl at all! I dont realy find makeup girly girly but eh thats just me.I do wear makeup ummm i like to make my hair big.Im going for the glam rocker/hippy look.Im the school chick rocker.I uhhh im plau guitar, was singing for a band but i left them cuz their morons lol but im currently trying to get a position of lead sining in a band at school.Umm i write poetry/music.Im friends with girly girly's...but not to be rude but realy girly girlys get on my nerves.......it's weird how most of them are have such a high pitch squeky voice.Well im basically like one of the guys you could say.I look like marc bolan! haha! i love him!But yeah i dont think its wrong to be real girly girly though....i just dont want no part of it lol! I love the 70's (ad the late 60's)Oh well anyways yeah.........

Back
Top Bottom