Anyone seen "From a Whisper to a Scream?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~*Buffalo*~

War Child
It's a BBC show, I think, about music in Ireland. Anyway they had late 1970s-early1980s on last night (on SBS here in Australia) and I taped it (because it was on the same time as the Simpsons). But :( I had to fast forward nearly the whole way through, just to get some tiny snippets of Bono and Edge, plus a teensy bit of the film clip for New Year's Day. What a disappointment ... it was hardly about U2 at all.

:sexywink: Oh well ... at least there was a bit of Bono and Edge ...

Well, the thing is it's kind of difficult to watch, if you want to focus on a specific artist, because I they did it chronologically instead of talking about a specific artist/band and then moving on. They do mention U2 quite a bit. I enjoyed it. They show a clip of baby U2 that I'd never seen before. :cute:

flaming june said:
Well, the thing is it's kind of difficult to watch, if you want to focus on a specific artist, because I they did it chronologically instead of talking about a specific artist/band and then moving on. They do mention U2 quite a bit.

Yeah, you just have to wait (in some cases 'suffer') through a lot of other stuff. It's really long. They do show a good bit of U2, you just have to find it. It would be cool if they'd update it with the newest U2 triumphs!

They show a clip of baby U2 that I'd never seen before. :cute:

:cute: Aw, I loved that! "Life on a Distant Planet" with Bono in purple gloves! It would be cool if someone could make stills of that!

U2Kitten said:
:cute: Aw, I loved that! "Life on a Distant Planet" with Bono in purple gloves! It would be cool if someone could make stills of that!
:eek: WHAT?!

PURPLE GLOVES?! :faint:

Oh he was so cute! I think he was pretending to be an alien or something. He wore purple gloves and did all these weird hand motions. I think Adam was standing on something making weird motions too. They were in these burgundy and purple outfits. I'd love to post pics but I don't have any :scream: If anybody has this on tape, please make stills of this part for us *begs*

ALIENS

U2Kitten said:
Oh he was so cute! I think he was pretending to be an alien or something. He wore purple gloves and did all these weird hand motions. I think Adam was standing on something making weird motions too. They were in these burgundy and purple outfits. I'd love to post pics but I don't have any :scream: If anybody has this on tape, please make stills of this part for us *begs*
:eek::eek::eek: I want to see this! :eek::eek::eek:

If this is the same one I've seen (it's like from '98, '99) I think the interviews of Bono and Edge are from The Clarence. I overall dug that show because it featured some bands I'd heard of but never seen before like Horslips ( :edge: "I loved Horslips") and Rory Gallagher.

My friend bought it for me last year. I was pleasantly surprised. I think it's great. They do show a good bit of U2 in it. Plus I also enjoyed watching Bono and Edge talk about other artists throughout the documentary and not just their story. I always like to hear what bands I like have to say about bands they like and who influenced them.

hello Buffalo..I have written quite a bit here about "from a whisper to a scream" I think it is a brilliant documentary, about the musical and social history of Ireland, just brilliant. I taped the whole series and am so glad I did. I was able to make a lovely "Rory Gallagher" present for my friend with it. I think Bono, Edge and Paul McG's opinion is sought quite a bit throughout the series. I suppose I am so turned on by it because I also love Sinead and Christy Moore and Thin Lizzy ( I still would like to debate them about "show bands" and their worth).
Anyway wanted to tell this story...... I came home from soccer on Friday night and hub was watching "From a whisper..." on TV. Just as I walked in Bob Geldolf was talking about Bono's vocal on "Feed The World". He told how he was in Africa watching thousands upon thousands of people walking into a camp, the combination of the light, the circumstance and bono's voice.....it's one of my favourite bits in the whole doco. Sent a shiver up his spine....and mine.
So yes:):):):) I've seen it!!
deadly...imho

It's been a couple of months but I saw it on Bravo, early in the mourning. Haven't seen it since on their tv schedule but I enjoyed it, even at the un-Godly hour of 3am. It was worth it however. Talked alot about Van Morrison and the few groups/writers that made it in Ireland then went on to London and or the Us. Bono and Edge did a good bit of narration in this.
It really only went up to the Pop era for U2, I think. Didn't have my dvd player at the time.:bono: :edge: :up:

Last edited:
Re: Re: ALIENS

arw9797 said:

check out Amazon.com. that's where my friend got it for me....or you could email me and maybe we could work something out :yes:

:sexywink:
Hmm.....:hmm:........before i start looking forward to anything :sexywink: I think European and American video recorders are different aren't they? The VHS can't be played on VCRs of the other continent, I think? o_O

*has to check this out first*

Re: Re: Re: ALIENS

FallingStar said:

Hmm.....:hmm:........before i start looking forward to anything :sexywink: I think European and American video recorders are different aren't they? The VHS can't be played on VCRs of the other continent, I think? o_O

*has to check this out first*

:ohmy: I didn't even think about that.

:sad: I think you are right.

I saw it when it was on the Bravo channel sometime around St. Patrick's Day. One of my favorite parts was the clip of "Life on a Distant Planet." I had no idea that song even existed! Bono looked like such a dork, but in a cute, endearing way, if you know what I mean.

I was REALLY thrilled when they showed part of the video for "In A Lifetime," the song Bono sang in with the group Clannad. He looked just indescribably hot, and I absolutely love his vocals on that song. :drool: :combust: :faint:

Re: the different video systems in different countries.
Someone kindly sent me a U2 concert video...murphy's law at work? The only country that doesn't have a compatible system with Australia is Brasil...I can't watch it:(:(so near and yet so far:(
so yes, do some research before you send a tape.....to avoid U2induced-frustration:bang:

Back
Top Bottom