Anybody live in the DC, Maryland, or Virginia area? Or been to Assateague?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madonna's child

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
If you do (or maybe even if you don't) has anybody ever been to Assateague Island National Park? It's an island off Maryland where they're are wild horses. *everyone in PLEBA hums song in head*

I want to convince my dad we should go there as part of our vacation. But I was hoping for some feedback on the place before I sell my story to him. :D

Is it nice? Is there horse shit everywhere? :slant: How are the beaches? Did you swim in the water?

:question: :)

Hey girl, I used to live in Ocean City, MD...which is like 15 minutes from assateague, and being a lover of horses I used to drag my parents there almost every weekend. I personally think it is great. It is a small island, and seeing the horses is hit or miss...somedays you see herds of them...somedays you only see four or five, since paved roads only cover a part of the island. However if you have an SUV you can let some of the air out of yur tires and drive on the beach. THIS IS TONS OF FUN...IF you are smart about it. And you would probably see more horses this way since you can go further into the island. But I would try the paved roads first, keep your eyes peeled...you should see them. The nature trails are a good way to see them as well if you don't mind getting out of the car and hiking...the island is flat so it is an easy hike. It is tempting to feed them, but take it from me...they bite. They are not vicious, they could care less that humans are there, but if you have food they get a little excited...ouch. LOL!

Let me know if you have anymore questions! How old are you and where do you live? I can give you suggestions on clubs and other attractions...just let me know!

Fishy

Maybe it would help if I actually answered your questions...LOL...

1. It is nice...see above...

2. There is horse shit, but I would hardly say it is EVERYWHERE...lol...the park is actually surprisingly clean.

3. There is a public beach and you CAN swim in the water...I don't...but I don't swim at the beach...I have a slight fear of water...and the beach is not fenced off, so don't be shocked if some ponies wander down to hang out with you...they are mostly harmless though... :D

Pics of the Ponies...

Ponies.jpg

ponies.jpg

Drive SLOW...they will walk right in front of a moving car...no joke...they really don't care that we are there...LOL
pony2.jpg

Chillin' on the beach
Aponies.JPG

I guess humans aren't the only ones who like to ogle the lifeguards...
ponyguards.jpg

Whoa, cool info, Fishy!
I have been there, justa few years ago. Went there with my Germantown,MD friend.
All we did though was take a little boat ride around the island. We saw some of the ponies, and got to get off on one of the beaches and look at some of the sealife that the tour guide brought up on a net.
The beach was clean, and people went into the water and had a great time. I didnt though, as i didnt have a swinsuit or shorts.
My friend says that the ponies are real friendly and would come right up to your cars, she said the mosquitos were terrible though. She didnt mention that the ponies bite,lol, but that doesnt surprise me that they might. I've been bitten by a horse before - severly actually - so I would be careful, but i'd probably be so in love with them that i'd throw caution to the wind,lol.
You should definitely go, too bad you missed the round up though! You could have taken one home with ya!!! :eek: :happy:

Fishy, I'm 18. No fun for me. :( :tongue:

hmm, I don't know if my family is going to like this idea. I think it's sounds awesome, but I love things like that. My family isn't really the nature types, though.

Thanks for the warnings, but I wouldn't approach a pony. I don't have any experience with horses.

So, where do you recommened staying if we go? The Ocean City hotels are pricey (we're on a budget, college is expensive as I find out!) Is there any towns between Ocean City and Chincoteague that I could find a decent cheap motel. There is no need for beach front.

On the same note, what area of Washington DC is a good place to find a hotel?

Finally - How the hell do you pronounce Assateague?

madonna's child said:

On the same note, what area of Washington DC is a good place to find a hotel?

Look in the NW sector of Washington, DC for hotels, or in the Northern VA/Bethesda, MD area. They aren't the cheapest places, but the NW is generally the safest area of DC. Northern VA is probably your best bet for price, and if you get a hotel near the metro line, you can just take that into the city because driving here is a pain, and parking is almost impossible to find.

I haven't been to the island itself but I have been on the eastern shore. I found it disappointing scenery-wise, and the driving through towns was tedious, this coming from a gypsy who loved to drive! Just too many red lights. But if you're coming in from DC I don't know that way, I came up the bay bridge tunnel.

My brother and his wife went to the last pony swim. They enjoyed it and got some great pics but said they probably wouldn't want to go back again.

Emily, were you ever a fan of the Misty of Chinoteague series of books? When I was in fifth grade everyone was crazy about them. It was so cool to find out it was our own state too (VA) That's why most people like the island. They are true stories.

Last edited:
I've been there several times as I grew up in Hampton Rhoads. I went over for the day this summer and it was great. OOHH Misty of Chincotegue one of my favorite books growing up. Always wanted to buy a pony at the auction.
The last time I went to DC for a few days I stayed in Georgtown. A little pricey but very nice and cheaper than nearer the Mall.

If you don't want pricey I suggest staying outside of the immediate DC area...go to someplace like College Park or Alexandria and then ride the metro over...that way it is way cheaper and you don't have to worry about parking. As for Ocean City...since it is "season" right now, you are going to be hard pressed to find a decent hotel price...but if you want cheap and don't mind "mingling with the commoners" then I suggest staying in a hotel BELOW 30th street. That would be 1st-30th. Anyway, that is the old section of Ocean City and most hotels are reasonable at that end. Which is odd because one of the percs of OC is the boardwalk, and all of these hotels would be within two blocks of the boardwalk.

We have a house at the beach, in Rehoboth...which is north of Ocean City, and we try to avoid OC as much as possible in the summer. It is simply overcrowded, and a death-trap after midnight, you are seriously taking your life into your hands if you choose to drive around town after the witching hour...too many drunk pedestrians and drivers. Blah.

I actually prefer the beach in the winter, and if it's ponies you want to see, the best time is actually the fall when the heat breaks because they come out into the open a bit more...whereas in the summer they tend to stay in the shade of the trees.

Anymore questions? :)

Oh and just to clarify...most people get this mixed up...the ponies only run wild on Assateague, it is a national park. Chincoteague has no wild ponies, it is a residential island, and frankly not worth the visit unless it is pony penning time, or if you want to see the Ramsey's ranch.

The only time the ponies are on Chincoteague is when they swim them across the channel for auction once a year. Some people drive to Chincoteague thinking there are more ponies there.

and just because...

Chincoteague = Shing-cah-tig (not "teeg" like assateague)

LOL...don't ask me...I didn't make it up...the locals did...LOL

Back
Top Bottom