Anybody know what Morleigh is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWho4Life

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I don't know how to word it... like anybody know what her background is... like, I have Irish and Indian in me... that sort of thing... you know?

That's not what I meant... I meant her background thing... like... is she idnian or somethin? Or does she have a lot of mexican in her?
I think Jewish is her religion :wink:

Oh... well ok... she's just jewish... dang that's kinda boring... lol, jk ;) Sorry drealynn42 I didnt mean to say you were wrong :)
I thought jewish was just a religion :)
Well, I was just askin cause she looked mexican :wink: but I guess I was wrong :D

I think he's talking about ethnicity here, like black or white. And to answer your question i'd say she is white, but i'm not sure.

Well I would say she is white too, like mexican white... or indian white... she's not all indian that's for sure... but blah.
I'm a she :wink:

I think what they are saying about the Jewish bit is perhaps her ancestors are from Israel, or that neck of the woods, so thats why she looks kinda Israeli etc.

i think

maybe :|

edited to add: no, sorry, wrong, please see Vertes post

Last edited:
American Jews are mainly of Eastern European descent. They came to this country from Russia, Romania, Poland, the Czech lands and surrounding lands in the late nineteenth and then all through the twentieth century. I'm sure that's who Morleigh's ancestors were. She has family in Israel.

Last edited:
Thanks Verte.

The Jews in Australia that i have met are Israeli in origins. I havent been to the US so i really should keep my trap shut on this topic :D

Edited cause Verte edited her post lol : yes, i thought i had read something about Israeli hence my previous spewtum.

Last edited:
Morleigh is a white American woman. Just because you are Jewish does not mean you are from Israel or even have ties to Israel. Dont' forget it's only been a country since 1948. Including the countries Verte mentioned Jews have also come from Germany. My family is Jewish they came from Russia, Poland and Germany. But also all 4 of my grandparents were born and raised in Minnesota so we don't even feel like we have any ties to those countries at all.

I know this isn't FYM but I need to say this....it bugs the crap out of me when someone asks what a person's nationality and someone spits out they are Jewish. :shrug: I just can't believe in this day and age that people still don't realize Judaism is a religion, not a nationality! Also that people don't know that you don't have to have come from Israel to be Jewish. Does anyone know the size of Israel? It's incredibly tiny and for all Jews around the world to have come from there would be impossible.

Sorry if i offended. I did honestly believe her ancestors come from Israel. I cant recall where i read that now, it was a while ago.

And yes Jews come from Europe too. Einstein was a German Jew.

my bad

:hug:

Beli :hug:

I think it's probably a topic better suited for FYM. So many people think if you're Jewish then you're Israeli or if you're Jewish then that's your nationality. It's something I've dealt with my entire life. Religion is honestly the least important thing in my life so I generally stay away from the comments when I see stuff like that but the second I saw the title of this thread I knew what I would find here...that someone would say she's Jewish. My cousin's have blond hair and blue eyes and people question them all the time how they could be Jews because they don't have dark hair.

I'll stop now because I could go on forever and I really hate talking about this kind of stuff and I don't know why I am right now.......

arw9797 :hug:

Feel free, go for it. Its a USA thing to answer that question of someones ethnicity by stating their religion. Thats why i jumped in, the answers werent matching the question, imho.

I think USA people say it so often they dont hear how weird it actually sounds to answer that question that way.

And yep, I once worked with a Scottish blond Jew. Ome of my friends is Jewish and shes from Beijing. So yeah, physical appearance is no indication of religion.

ps I still think she has ties to Israel though :D

It's ok Beli, really. She very well could have family in Israel. I know nothing about her other than she's my favorite guitarists wife. I don't really pay attention to her or care to know much about her. I'm a fan of her husband, not her.

I've seen comments in Pleba before about her religion or that they had a Jewish wedding ceremony. Some of the comments around here to that to me sounded like people were just shocked and appalled that Edge would be part of a Jewish wedding ceremony. :shrug: I normally just let this stuff go because I don't like to have a debate on my computer.

kewl. i dont read pleba enough to know about the wedding stuff. does sound distasteful.

and dont ever apologise for raising your voice to be heard :up:

i do it all the time :D

arw9797 said:
Beli :hug:

I think it's probably a topic better suited for FYM. So many people think if you're Jewish then you're Israeli or if you're Jewish then that's your nationality. It's something I've dealt with my entire life. Religion is honestly the least important thing in my life so I generally stay away from the comments when I see stuff like that but the second I saw the title of this thread I knew what I would find here...that someone would say she's Jewish. My cousin's have blond hair and blue eyes and people question them all the time how they could be Jews because they don't have dark hair.

I'll stop now because I could go on forever and I really hate talking about this kind of stuff and I don't know why I am right now.......

Dude, this response was totally innappropriate. A good friend of mine is Jewish and gets upset when people say it is "only a religion", because she values her Jewish ethnicity. Maybe you don't speak for all Jewish people? In every biographical blurb/interview with Morleigh, she has identified herself as Jewish. That's all we have to go on. So calm down.

Free Your Mind.

And thanks for stepping in and saying that, arw. To be honest, this thread bothered me a bit, but I didn't know what to say. And not really knowing anything about it, I felt like I should just stay away from it.

And I also think this is something that we shouldn't discuss here at all. I think it goes a bit too far into the band's personal life.

Last edited:
I think its okay to discuss peoples ethnicity.

As anyone who has met me will testjify the first thing out of mouth is usual "What do you do? Where are you from? Are you the one from Argentina? Is Carlos Santana Mexican? etc" lol

Im quite heavily into family history so its of interest to me.

And obviously a few others in this thread can occasionally have the same interest.

Nothing malicous, just plain curiosity. Some people collect spoons, and others collect useless data about who belongs to which clan. Tis harmless.

Discussing someones religion may step on a few toes, especially if their not here to defend themselves. But I dont believe anything offensive has been said here. Just that a few people are Jewish, and a few people are not. Quite harmless.

peace :hug:

Last edited:
drealynn42 said:

Dude, this response was totally innappropriate. A good friend of mine is Jewish and gets upset when people say it is "only a religion", because she values her Jewish ethnicity. Maybe you don't speak for all Jewish people? In every biographical blurb/interview with Morleigh, she has identified herself as Jewish. That's all we have to go on. So calm down.

First of all I'm not a dude so do not call me that. Second of all do not tell me to calm down when I'm not hyped up about anything. Thirdly Morleigh doesn't identify herself in interviews by saying "hi I'm Morleigh and I'm Jewish." The interviewer/journalist throws that in there write up about her/Edge just like every interviewer has to mention the band is Irish. And finally Judaism is a religion not a nationality. If you or your friend think otherwise then you are sadly mistaken.

You're right, Beli. It is okay to discuss ethinicity/religion whatever, and it's a good thing, because we all learn from it.

I didn't explain myself very well last night. I should know by now not to get into a serious discussion late at night when I'm too tired to really explain. I just meant that I think this thread took an inappropriate turn for PLEBA.

Religion is the service and worship of God or the supernatural (depending on what you believe in, of course). Ethinicity is a group of people who share a common triat. You can share an ethinicity without sharing a religion. On my mother's side, my family is from Germany. That side of my family is Jewish. There are plenty of people who are German that are not Jewish. Likewise, there are plenty of Jews who are not German. It doesn't work to just say I'm half Jewish to describe my family's background, and honestly, I perfer it that way. I'm an American, orignially from Ohio and currently living in Virginia. I was not brought up actively practicing Judaism, so I don't see how it describes "what I am" in anyway, even though I do have a Jewish heritage. But that's just me and how I look at it.

Anyway, Who4life, I didn't mean to make you feel bad for asking questions. As Beli said, nothing wrong with it. And as she also pointed out, discussing relgion will usually step on a few toes.

The reason ppl think of Jewish as a nationality is that we learn in church that the Jewish people were a nation, a people, God's chosen people, tribles of Israel, etc and somehow they, like every other ethnicity, ended up all over the world. So even if you are in the states and are from an old Jewish family that didn't convert recently like Tom Arnold there is a chance you're related to those people in the Bible. But I do think it's the Bible stories that make people think of Jews as a distinct ethnicity, and I don't think it's ever meant to be an insult at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom