Another timezone, another place...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alisaura

Blue Crack Supplier
Greetings PLEBAns! :wave:

I thought I would start this thread so I could check in when I had a chance as I travel about the place, rather than try to pop in and out of the PGP and miss people. :hug:

This is the first time I've been able to get online since we left Australia (I've just had to change my timezone settings, it was getting confusing :lol: ), so I wanted to let you all know that I'm alive and having a fabulous time. Wild and Jem, and any other UK PLEBAns, you have a beautiful country here! I've only been in the south of England so far, spent the first week in and around Brighton, a couple of days in Axminster, and today I've arrived in Cornwall. I'm off to Glasgow on Tuesday to check out the northern end of things :wink:

We had pretty good weather in Australia the day we left (for winter, at least), and we seem to have brought it with us - everywhere I've been, it's been warm and sunny every day. Everything is blooming and every square inch of the place is covered with five kinds of vegetation, or else dozens of lego houses or terrace houses or tiny twisty streets that must be bigger than they look cos bloody great double-decker buses whizz down them at alarming speeds.
I was in Lyme Regis yesterday, which is well known amongst palaeontology nerds as a great place for fossils... the tides were all wrong to go on an organised fossil hunting trip, but I made my own way along Monmouth beach and might have found a little faint fossil. :D

Anyway, I'd better shove off and go and talk to my gracious hosts :wink: I'll try to upload some photos soon, I've taken about 200 so far :lol:

ZOMG I can't believe I'm in England :hyper:

:hug:

:hyper: :hug: :kiss:

OMG it's so great to hear from you!! You're making me green with envy with your travel stories! Have an awesome time and keep in touch! :hug:

Trouble? Moi?? :angel: :whistle:

Then again, I am in the same country as Wild... I wonder how far her area of :evil: influence extends... :giggle:

I forgot to say, I hope you're all well! I won't have time to read all the threads, so :hug: for anyone who needs it ...

Well, everyone here is convinced I'm descended from convicts (not true, as far as I know), so I might as well be :evil:

Okay, really need to pry myself off the blue crack now... :hug: :wave:

:wave: Hi Ali. I'm glad you're enjoying our little country. It's a sweet little place (mostly). And as for Lyme Regis...:drool: I am totally in love with that place. Apparently a few famous writers have stayed/lived there. I think Oscar Wilde visited and I believe Jane Austen lived there. It's quaint and little and I'd love to live there.

Cornwall is very pretty too. Alas I don't see enough of my country. (Hubby likes his garden...pfft...how OLD is that!!) Anyways, have a good time. keep us informed with your visits and I look forward to your photos... x

Hey, Ali so you're visiting my old homeland? Will you be going to any of the home counties? I used to live in Bletchley, just a few miles away from the Milton Keynes Bowl. Sounds like your having a great time, look forward to seeing all your pics! :wink:

Ali, you know that you are the envy of many, many of us, do you not? One of my dreams is to get to England, Ireland, and Scotland (the homes of my ancesters) some day. I have to admit that I was flabbergasted when I learned that the whole of England is about the size of Indiana, the state in the U.S. where I live.

Someday . . . . :drool:

Oh this is too cool! Thanks for making us very jealous :wink:
Hope you keep having a fantastic time and yes we can't wait to see pics... I always wanted to visit Scotland, and Ireland too. LUCKY!

youvedonewhat said:
And as for Lyme Regis...:drool: I am totally in love with that place. Apparently a few famous writers have stayed/lived there. I think Oscar Wilde visited and I believe Jane Austen lived there. It's quaint and little and I'd love to live there.
I'm not sure about Oscar Wilde, although I wouldn't be surprised if he'd gone there, Lyme Regis has apparently been quite the popular holiday destination for hundreds of years. Jane Austen did stay there for a while though, I saw that on one of those information board things. :) I was mostly there for the fossils... :drool:

hcbiggs, I'm not quite sure what the "home counties" are (and I just learned that the @ and the " are in different places on UK keyboards)... I've been to Sussex, Dorset and Cornwall so far, and will also go to Gloucestershire. I'll be seeing Stonehenge too (and Bath), while staying in Gloucester.

I've heard that the Glaswegian accent can be challenging... the person I know who lives near Glasgow seems okay, and I can usually understand Billy Connolly, but I'm sure his "public" accent is easier to understand than that of most Glaswegians :wink:

MsPurrl: yeah, England is kinda tiny, but everything is so packed in here. I dunno how densely populated Indiana is, but England has many times the population of Australia, but only a fraction of the land area... they're very economical with what space they do have in England! And yet, there are still large stretches of moor with no one living there. It's kinda bizarre... but some of the roads we went on today were unbelievably narrow. I was supposed to be navigating, but with all these twisty little lanes meeting at weird angles, I got a wee bit confused and we accidentally took the scenic route. :lol: I did get to see Dozmary Pool, which, according to legend, is where the Lady of the Lake emerged from to give Excalibur to Arther. And to complete the Arthurian theme, we're off to see Tintagel tomorrow. :) (Well, later today, it is getting on a bit!)

I've been trying to upload some pics, but either Photobucket or this net connection isn't co-operating at the moment. I won't bore you with all the pics of rocks and bumble bees and pillar boxes (it's funny what little things you get all excited about :lol: )

Ooh, I went down the infamous Helter Skelter on Brighton Pier while I was there... How could I not? :giggle:

I'm sorry I'm making people jealous... :reject: :uhoh:

It's ok, make us jealous :drool: Sounds awesome so far. I always wanted to see Loch Ness, and Stonehenge too. Very cool that you saw Dozmary Pool!

Haha, I beat photobucket into submission (mostly by resizing the pics for it)... I don't have today's pics on this computer yet, but here are some previous ones...

P8030017sml.jpg

A little church in Tarring Neville (what did Neville do to deserve that, I asked), where my... great grandparents (I think) are buried.

P8050088sml.jpg

A view from a lookout near Devil's Dyke, near Brighton... People go hang gliding there when the wind is right. That would be awesome.

P8060111sml.jpg

Some chalk cliffs, as seen from Birling Gap...

P8070160sml.jpg

A bit of Brighton Beach and the Pier, including the Helter Skelter :D

P8090184sml.jpg

And some ammonite fossils near Lyme Regis... :drool:

Hi Ali. :hug: Glad to hear the weather here is treating you well and you're enjoying England. Have fun up in Scotland. Can't wait to see your pics. :D

Alisaura said:

Ooh, I went down the infamous Helter Skelter on Brighton Pier while I was there... How could I not? :giggle:

I live in England and im jealous of that. :giggle: Helter Skelters. :hyper::drool:

I live in a seaside town though and we have one so that will have to do. :giggle:

Dn't get into too much trouble. :evil: :lol:

Thanks guys :D

I love the pebble beaches, as long as I don't have to walk on them in bare feet - it hurts! I decided I should stick my feet in the Channel while I was in Brighton and could barely hobble the few feet from where I took off my shoes, to where the little waves were breaking. Mum's got a photo on her camera, it's probably highly amusing. :lol:
The thing I love about the pebbles is that they're all flint that has washed out of the chalk cliffs as they erode away.... and flint is very cool stuff - you don't really find it in Australia at all. :geology:nerd: :wink:

Got burned again at Tintagel.... every time you turn around, there are more spectacular views, it's amazing. Took so many photos my camera battery went flat just before we were going to leave :lol: Now waiting for it to charge up before I can put the pics on my friend's comp ... :waiting:
Saw some more interesting geology, had some lovely fish and chips, and I have found the official Best-Smelling Shop in Britain. Home made fresh fudge :drool: :drool:... you could put on weight just breathing in the air, and they were constantly making more. I bought three bags of it :drool: Sooooooo good. :faint:

I love Billy Connolly :D

Here are some more pics...

P8110217sml.jpg

King Doniert's stone, which is bits of a 9th-century stone cross, which he allegedly erected "for the good of his soul"

P8110225sml.jpg

Dozmary Pool, which, according to legend, is where the Lady of the Lake emerged with Excalibur...

P8110229sml.jpg

Me under a pile of rocks, also known as the Cheesewring...

P8110239sml.jpg

Me on top of another pile of rocks nearby... it was windy up there but the view was fantastic :D

P8110250sml.jpg

Part of a stone circle known as the Hurlers; legend has it that a group of men went to play cricket one Sunday instead of going to church, and got turned to stone. Proof that cricket is bad :wink:

More soon!

Back
Top Bottom