Another timezone, another place...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, the rocks had stood there for hundreds of years or more, I figured they would stay up long enough for a photo :wink:

Here are some pics of Tintagel...

P8120271sml.jpg

The courtyard on the island, with a more recent cottage built inside the castle ruins...

P8120280sml.jpg

View from the top of the island

P8120294sml.jpg

remains of Dark Ages houses...

P8120297sml.jpg

View of the mainland part of the castle ruins

That's it for now :) Next report will probably be from Scotland ... och aye :wink:

Alisaura said:
Haha, I beat photobucket into submission (mostly by resizing the pics for it)... I don't have today's pics on this computer yet, but here are some previous ones...

P8030017sml.jpg

A little church in Tarring Neville (what did Neville do to deserve that, I asked), where my... great grandparents (I think) are buried.

P8050088sml.jpg

A view from a lookout near Devil's Dyke, near Brighton... People go hang gliding there when the wind is right. That would be awesome.

P8060111sml.jpg

Some chalk cliffs, as seen from Birling Gap...

P8070160sml.jpg

A bit of Brighton Beach and the Pier, including the Helter Skelter :D

P8090184sml.jpg

And some ammonite fossils near Lyme Regis... :drool:

Thanks for your lovely pics. I love the shingle/pebble beaches of England, they make to most amazing sound. Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire (where Bletchley and Milton Keynes are situated), Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and Berkshire make up what's know has to Home counties, where you'll find, apart from the lovely countryside, Whipsnade Zoo, Blenheim Palace, Woburn Abbey (which we used to visit almost every weekend!), Oxford of course and the summer home of the Royal family i.e. Windsor Castle. :wink:

Yes I think most people who've never visited England find it hard to believe that there's still quite a bit of countryside and even quite remote places, like the moors, to be found, if you take the time to travel outside of London or any of the other major cities. :yes:

Wow again, gorgeous pics! I love all the pics of the different stone things, piles, circles, etc... all very cool!

WildHoney said:
:shifty: All of the UK & Ireland, slowly taking over Europe and then THE WORLD :evil:
:no: There's nowhere to hide! :uhoh:

:wink:

Got to Scotland last night - plane was delayed three times, and the pilot told us that was because, earlier in the day it had been struck TWICE by lightning, and of course they have to inspect every inch of the plane minutely after a lightning strike, so that made everything late for the rest of the day. Flight to Glasgow was mercifully uneventful. :)

Weather has deteriorated a bit, but apparently I'm to expect that in Scotland :wink:

Not seen any hairy coooows here yet, but I will be sure to photograph them when I do :) I did see some hybrids between hairy cooows and herefords in Cornwall, but no pics. I want the real thing :wink:

Here is me in front of Drumlanrig castle...

P8160351sml.jpg

The place was built in the late 1600s and is still in use by the current Duke and Duchess of Buccleuch ("buck-loo"), occasionally (they have two other homes). It is gorgeous, and crammed full of beautiful furniture and artworks and antiques and things.

Edinburgh tomorrow! :hyper:

I'll get to London for a day next week some time, don't fret :wink:

Saw Edinburgh today, in the rain... well, I spent so much time taking pics of fabulous St Giles cathedral :)shocked: ) and looking at a New Zealand guy putting balloons and nails and things up his nose (did I mention the Fringe is on?), that we were too late to get into the castle. :reject: But! Hope to pop in again on Monday :yes:

P8180378sml.jpg

St Giles' Cathedral in Edinburgh...

P8180433sml.jpg

one of the many gorgeous stained-glass windows within.

Seeya! :wave:

Originally posted by bonocomet no pics of the New Zealand guy? :wink: [/B]
I tried to take a couple, this is the best I can offer...

P8180438sml.jpg

I wish I'd got one when he was cramming his shoulders through the tennis raquet.... :ohmy:

Went to the Blair Athol distillery today, mostly to get my dad a bottle of Scotch; I'll have to post it home on Tuesday. Also saw some great scenery from Queen's View, that whole area (Perthshire) is amazing. Some of those tannin-stained rivers and gravelly banks made me think of Tasmania (or the little I've seen of it, anyway). Also saw a little stone circle in the middle of someone sheep paddock, that was cool. Pics to follow :)

Want to be up earlier tomorrow, having another go at Edinburgh. :wink:
I would also love to know why "Edinburgh" is pronounced with more syllables than its spelling, while places like "Gloucestershire" are pronounced with (thankfully) fewer...?? :scratch:

:kiss:

Great pics, Ali! :D

A friend of mine is actually living in Edinburgh right now, and working at the Fringe festival. Looks like you've been having a great time!

Alisaura said:

I tried to take a couple, this is the best I can offer...

P8180438sml.jpg

I wish I'd got one when he was cramming his shoulders through the tennis raquet.... :ohmy:

Went to the Blair Athol distillery today, mostly to get my dad a bottle of Scotch; I'll have to post it home on Tuesday. Also saw some great scenery from Queen's View, that whole area (Perthshire) is amazing. Some of those tannin-stained rivers and gravelly banks made me think of Tasmania (or the little I've seen of it, anyway). Also saw a little stone circle in the middle of someone sheep paddock, that was cool. Pics to follow :)

Want to be up earlier tomorrow, having another go at Edinburgh. :wink:
I would also love to know why "Edinburgh" is pronounced with more syllables than its spelling, while places like "Gloucestershire" are pronounced with (thankfully) fewer...?? :scratch:

:kiss:

Lovely pix Ali. You've seen more of England then I have and probably will do.:sad: Still, when I go on my hols next month (only up country) I'll see what novelties I can post. :drool: :wink:

Alisaura said:
Thanks guys :D

I love the pebble beaches, as long as I don't have to walk on them in bare feet - it hurts! I decided I should stick my feet in the Channel while I was in Brighton and could barely hobble the few feet from where I took off my shoes, to where the little waves were breaking. Mum's got a photo on her camera, it's probably highly amusing. :lol:
The thing I love about the pebbles is that they're all flint that has washed out of the chalk cliffs as they erode away.... and flint is very cool stuff - you don't really find it in Australia at all. :geology:nerd: :wink:

Yeah it hurts like hell. :yikes:

Glad your enjoying yourself. :hug:

:applaud: Awesome pics Ali!! Love the NZ guy one....gotta love us mad kiwi's!! :love: Thank you so much for taking the time to share them with us!

Back
Top Bottom