Another Bono/Edge meeting in Seattle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ruffian

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I ended up going to the Seattle shows at the last minute and met up with fellow interference girls karmic_postmark and AlliDreamsOutLoud. Thanks to Karmic, we got into the ellipse the first night (her ticket beeped and they let three of us go). We screamed our heads off and ran to the floor like maniacs, where we ended up right on the rail between Bono and Adam. I'll let them tell their parts of the story, so for starters I'm just reflecting on my experience. When Bono began to talk about MLK and how his message should extend to Africa, I held up a small sign that said "Thank you for making a difference in Africa" and then below that it said "anthropologists :heart: you." (i'm an anthropologist, as many of you know). Bono saw the sign, then Edge was turning to try to see it so I showed it to him too. Both acknowledged it with a nod and smiled. The show was great!

The next day we joined other fans near the loading dock entrance and waited (the day before they were very late and just drove through the gates without stopping). John Sampson, Bono's bodyguard, came out and said Bono would be arriving in about ten minutes--I'd chatted with him briefly on the sidewalk as he was walking to the entrance just before then. He said there wouldn't be much time for autographs or talking, etc, and I said: "what about the kissing? is there time for that?" He replied that he took care of all the kissing--it was part of his job. As we waited for Bono Alli took a picture and we talked for a bit more. He was more chatty than I'd seen him before, and really, really sweet.
121_2128.jpg

Next, Edge was driven up and got out to quickly sign autographs--I had nothing for him to sign to I just told him how much fun I'd had at the show the night before, and he said he was glad I had a good time. I'm not sure if Alli or AnneJ took this picture, so thanks to either of you.
edgeseattle.bmp

Bono came about 15 minutes later (god, I may have the order wrong here...but I think it's right).

121_2144a.jpg

He walked over to the front of the line and signed lots of things for a cute girl named Chloe who had just turned 15 that day. He was incredibly kind to her and told her it was her day...on her program I think he wrote "Today is the Day that Was."

After he worked through the line some he came to me and I had a Drop the Debt t-shirt for him to sign. He started signing before he even looked up and I said: "Hi Bono, I'm the anthropologist. I had the sign last night." He looked up and sort of did a double take and said, "oh, of course!" (we met in San Diego in March and talked about anthropology a little, and Africa--but that is another long story on another thread). Then I said: "Sorry, I think it was a dorky sign," and he said, "no, not at all, actually. It was the best sign I've ever seen." Alli took this picture during the conversation:
121_2162.jpg

Thanks to Kellyahern for this one:
13.jpg

Then he leaned in and kissed me on the cheek while I simultaneously kissed him on his cheek (what do you call that kind of kiss, anyway?) and said: "Anthropologists are so sexy!" And I said, "Well, you should come to Africa this summer. You can share my tent." He smiled and John laughed. The nerve of me! I swear, it just spilled out.

Anyway, it was a great meeting. Karmic and Alli have their own stories to tell, so those will be posted here in a bit. Thanks for listening, and to Kelly, Alli, AnneJ, Jen, and anyone else who took pictures that I've used here. I'm sorry this is long-winded!

Last edited:
ruffian!!!! fantastic story!!! :hyper: i love what you said to bono- you are so bold... good for you! :up:

congratulations, and thank you so much for sharing your incredible experience with the rest of us! :bow:

:heart:

kellyahern said:
What did you sign say the night before? :)

I remember having that conversation on the phone but I never did find out what it wound up saying. :lol:

it said: "thank you for making a difference in africa" and then under that "anthropologists :heart: you." (it's in the post above). i'm not the sign holding type, but it was a heartfelt sentiment, though indeed dorky.

Adam Clayton is too cute!

Okay it's not Edge and Bono but it is part of what happened later on that evening :D

I think I made him blush with the sign I held up for him at Seattle2. :lol:
After a second quick read he managed to get over his initial shock and give me a smile. Oh yeah, it read Bass Players Do It Deeper :macdevil:

BasPlayersDoit4-25-05.jpg

adamVertigoTour2005-04-25.jpg

Great stories ladies!! So glad all 3 of you got to meet them again and that all 3 of you were allowed into the shelter!! :hyper:

So I see you guys went for the kissin' :wink:

But again, I only did it cause I am Mexican... that's my excuse and I am sticking to it

:macdevil:

Miroslava said:
Great stories ladies!! So glad all 3 of you got to meet them again and that all 3 of you were allowed into the shelter!! :hyper:

So I see you guys went for the kissin' :wink:

But again, I only did it cause I am Mexican... that's my excuse and I am sticking to it

:macdevil:
heheheh...i'm Italian and that's my excuse...and general sassiness :wink:

I hope you find your kissing pictures...we don't have any either but I'm gonna use it as an excuse for a re-enactment down the road
:laugh:

Here's my part of the Seattle adventure....

Arrive on Sat afternoon and meet Karmic at the airport. Soooo great to see her again as we haven't seen each other since the San Jose Ipod event (and the only other time we've met). But it's funny, you meet a person once, and you email/PM each other a lot. But somehow it's like you've known each other for years.

Karmic and I go to Buca for dinner to meet with other Interferencers: Jesse, Jesse's parents, SF Gal, SF Gal's hubby, UKtan, Corianderstem, and Ratguy! Loved meeting and seeing all of you again. We don't want the night to end so decide to take a "short" walk to an Irish Pub. Turns out to be a long one, and by the end of the walk, blisters on feet, I need another drink to dull the pain. A couple of hours later, we set our alarms to wake us in 2 1/2 hours.

We head to the GA line at 5:30am...and meet Ruffian! First time I meet her, and I can't say enough nice things about her....just think she's the BEST! After a few hours or so (listening to Bono moans - thx Ruff! and hearing about Karmic's friendly adventure with a U2 crew member), it's time to head on over to sneak a peek at the band arriving for soundcheck. We wait...and wait....and wait...and at 4:45 in comes a black SUV. Bono rolls down the window and waves (but we are on the other side and can't see)...Edge rolls down his window (I can barely see). Since they arrive so late they don't come out again. Ah well....it was getting late and must head back into the GA line.

First night, thanks to Karmic......we get into the Ellipse!!!!!!! My first time in it....front and center, a little to the right of Bono. We squeal like school girls.....a few times...actually a lot. The show was freakin AMAZING....Ruff and Karmic got plenty of Bono love, and I was hoping that one of them would be THE lucky girl onstage (Although it didn't happen then, it will happen soon!)

After the show....Karmic should fill in details here! :macdevil:

Exhausted...and with a couple of hours of sleep, the phone rings. It's Ruff - she says it's highly advisable to get over to the Key Arena. 5:30am....roll out of bed and in the GA line all over again. Somehow manage to get some shut eye on the cement but feel energized that we can now head over to the loading area to wait for the band. <Pleads and hopes that the band stops this time around>. Karmic and I wait on the curb. Ruff calls on the phone and very quietly but sternly says that John is behind her dressed very business like. I'm thinking...Ruff, where are you??? and who's John??? She whispers...John Sampson. I say, he's walking behind you? then where's Bono????? I picture Ruff walking in front of John and Bono and wondering why I'm not there. Jump up off the curb.....then I see John...but not Bono. This means that they're coming......soon!!!! We get our gear out ready to sign. John proceeds to chat to everyone and tells us Bono will be arriving in 10 minutes. If everyone cooperates, Bono will shake hands and say hi. Then he says no pictures with him or autograph signing but he knows ppl will try anyway. He just wants everyone to have their Bono moment. Ruff then asks about the kissing......John says I'm in charge of the SEX!

Edge arrives first....I have an Unforgettable Fire picture disc and he signs it.....he said "Wow....where did you get that from?". Dumbfounded, I didn't say a single thing :reject:. I told him thanks.

Thanks KellyAhern for this one (and all the others too... :bow: )
3437982%3B23232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D445%3D67%3A%3DXROQDF%3E23238466495%3B6ot1lsi

Then 15 minutes or so later, Bono's SUV pulls up. He goes to the other side first to sign....then heads over to our side. He spends a lot of time with a girl named Chloe who turned 15 that day. She and her friend were so cute, and excited, and trembling.....it was really sweet because he signed so much stuff for them and i think they were surprised but he told her it was her special day. awwwww

He goes down the line and comes to me. I give him a pic of he and I dancing during SJ1. Ruffian is sooo excited and says "you danced with her 2 weeks ago"...trying to jog his memory :lol:. I told him thanks for the dance, and then next thing I know, he kisses my shoulder. (Not expecting that at all)....and what seems longer than a couple of seconds either rests his head there...or smells me. I'm really not sure. At that time I think to self please, god, i took a shower today right??? I then proceed to say to him "sorry about our little dancing accident". He laughs and says something along the lines of "it was great dancing with you". Then with a devilish smirk he says "we made our own dance up there". OMG :faint:. He signs the pic "Glad to dance with you". I then ask Scott, U2's head of security what it says because i can't read Bono's handwriting. He couldn't read it either. Karmic then proceeded to translate...thx! :lmao: (Karmic, I think you found your calling.....Bono's handwriting interpreter!)

Thanks again Kelly for these!
3437982%3B23232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D445%3D67%3A%3DXROQDF%3E232384664%3A876ot1lsi

3437982%3B23232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D445%3D67%3A%3DXROQDF%3E232384664%3A877ot1lsi

It was a great day....great few days really! And so glad to spend it with other Plebans!!!! Hopefully Karmic will post her story too. Thanks for listening! Now, I'm getting busy trying to find a ticket to Chicago! no plane ticket, no hotel, no show ticket.....hoping to succeed in a few days!
xo,
Alli

ruffian said:

it said: "thank you for making a difference in africa" and then under that "anthropologists :heart: you." (it's in the post above). i'm not the sign holding type, but it was a heartfelt sentiment, though indeed dorky.

Aww, I like it (and karmick's bass player sign too :sexywink: ). :)

He kissed Alli's shoulder :faint:

I need more sassiness too :lol: I'm Irish, I'm supposed to be have more :shifty:

Or maybe I just need to go brunette :lol:

Great stories, and it was great meeting you guys too :hug:

bono kissed your shoulder ?!? :combust: :drool:

and :lmao: at john saying you're in charge of the "sex"- he's quite the flirt! :sexywink:

congratulations, alli, on a wonderful experience! and thank you so much for posting your story... :bow: :applaud:

Kissing your shoulder Alli!!!!!! OMG! :combust: :combust:

That is totally fantastic&you look so incredibly flirtatious with Bono, i thought to myself when i first saw these pix! :sexywink:

Congrats on your encounter! :D :love: :bow: :bow:

ooops...sorry. I meant to say John said he was in charge of the sex. not me... :reject: He was quite cute and firmly patted his chest when he said it :cute:

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I hope to meet many of you on the road!
:hug:

*Ally* said:
bono kissed your shoulder ?!? :combust: :drool:

and :lmao: at john saying you're in charge of the "sex"- he's quite the flirt! :sexywink:

congratulations, alli, on a wonderful experience! and thank you so much for posting your story... :bow: :applaud:

It's crazy we can't get enough of these Bono stories. I love every word of them. And I'm definitely living vicariously through all of you. You guys are the best for sharing the stories with us. Good luck to those going to the Chicago shows. Can't wait to read more!!!

Back
Top Bottom