Ann(e) at the Grammys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't really add anything to this discussion but all it really comes down to is...

Larry has been with this woman for close to 20 years. They obviously have something very special to still be together despite him being in the biggest band in the world and never being home. She obviously has something VERY special about her or they would have parted ways long ago. He values his privacy, Ann's privacy and his kid's privacy. Larry from all apearences is a very no-bullshit kind of guy and it makes sense that his partner would be the same way. It is his choice not be photographed all over the planet and not to release his baby's name. If Larry is okay with her being reclusive and not dressing up, that's all that matters. Buying a U2 CD or concert ticket does not give us the right to know every single detail of his personal life.

I am not directing this at anyone in general but I guess I'm starting to feel the same way as Moonie with regard to the pictures of the band members in private situations. I love looking at them but in the back of my mind I'm starting to wonder, "should I even be seeing this?"

Sorry for the rant :(

Hi Charlene,

Thanks for the post. I suppose I get my rankles up when it comes to Larry - I don't know him, but dammit, I feel like I've got to protect his privacy or something.

I just don't understand why photographers felt it was acceptable to take pictures of Bono during his da's funeral.... and I distinctly remember someone in the next few days make snide comments about what his daughter wore to the funeral. I don't remember if it was on Interference or U2-list... doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is, if his daughter wanted to go to the funeral in a bright pink polka-dotted dress and her hair teased up a mile high, she could. Because that was *her* grandpa's funeral. Fer feck's sake, what people wear to functions is their perogative, no one else's. I encountered the same shit at the old church I went to. A bunch of snide old ladies sitting around gossiping about what so-and-so is wearing, blah blah blah.

I'm glad Larry has been able to hold on to his privacy as much as he has. I remember the shit he got in the press when it was learned that he bought the house in front of his for "privacy." Well, shit. I'd buy the whole freakin' block and put up a big ol' 20 foot fence if it meant my family would be safer.

As for the pictures... I just don't feel comfortable with it. Especially looking at pictures of Bono's and Larry's families - Larry's mother and sister died when he was young, as well as Bono's mother.... how difficult that must have been. And yet, I see those pictures pop up on occasion. I guess it's my protective nature. I don't know Larry, Bono, Edge, or Adam, and they don't know me, but dammit, I feel like I need to be protective of them or something. I suppose it's because, under all that rock star famous stuff, they're just people. Ya know? :D

Moonie :D

I totally agree with what ur saying moon! It disgusted me when I saw that the media was @ Bono's Da funeral. I think there is a right time and place for the media to be and that is not one of them. Bono shouldve been able to attend his Da's funeral without worrying about getting his photo taken. Then again it does come with the territory.

And for the media taking pics of their families, I don't really like that either but I think that Bono and Ali are okay with it and thats all the matters.

Yeah, I think what people are saying is probably true...

a. She didn't want to draw attention to herself.
b. She wasn't feeling well

And, hey, I wouldn't have stood when O Brother! Where Art Thou? beat the boys (and Alicia Keys too) either! Arg! It was hard enough for me to keep my cool sitting in my living room at home wathcing that travesty!

I think we have to accept it is all part and parcel with fame and it will not change. I look at these pics we are talking about so I can not say anything negative about them.

About her supporting her man, you don;t have to sit beside someone at a awards ceremony to show your support to them. I can think of two sportstars, Michael Schumacher and Tiger Woods, whose partners try and stay out of the lime light. Michaels wife hardly ever goes to awards with him but it does not mean she does not care.

I mean there are situations when the U2 family life should be left alone but they can not have their cake and eat it. They earn millions of pounds and I actually think on the whole they are left alone. Ali taking her children to fashion shows and letting Naomi Campbell hold the children in a public area is asking for a photograph to be taken.

Back
Top Bottom