an american prayer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jam Jar

New Yorker
In the middle of the Pine Barrens with the Jersey
from u2log.com
"Bono reveals new song
general | vonb - 07:36 PM | TB (0) | (5)
Bono premiered a new U2 song at the end of the World Aids Day presentation in Lincoln, Neb., last night. He introduced it as a song U2 was working on with Dave Stewart (Eurythmics). He had recorded accompaniment from the rest of U2 on a CD, and played it on a stereo while he sang and played acoustic guitar.

The song was called "An American Prayer" -- a little nod to Jim Morrison, perhaps -- and it was a ballad in the vein of "One" or "Stuck in a Moment." The chorus featured a lyric along the lines of "When we get to the top of the mountain..." (report by Jonathan Houghton) "

OooooOOooo!

cool! :)

i found a spin magazine i bought a while ago that was talking about new songs and it was funny, this was from last summer, it mentioned "electrical storm" and mentioned "the hands that built america" and at that point thtba was called something else...

thtba? that looks like when you try to spell the sound made when you stick out your tongue and do this :madspit: HAHAH!

I haven't listened to that sound clip yet, but I was in the front row in the Lied Center on Sunday when they sang that song and it was REALLY amazing! Bono first said he'd like to sing a brand new song, then he went over to this CD player and there was a mic propped up by the speaker and he said something like "I'd like you to meet Larry, Adam, and Edge!" then he picked up a guitar, most definitely not his b/c it was very small and looked like he had signed it, and he pushed play on the CD player and started playing and singing the song. Then the group of African singers and dancers joined him and by the end, the entire building was singing. I wish I remembered more of the song. Some lines I remember was the final chorus "If you get to the top of the mountain, will you tell me what you see?" I dunno how well the song would do as a normal single, but it was VERY appropriate for the DATA presentation.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I haven't listened to that sound clip yet, but I was in the front row in the Lied Center on Sunday when they sang that song and it was REALLY amazing! Bono first said he'd like to sing a brand new song, then he went over to this CD player and there was a mic propped up by the speaker and he said something like "I'd like you to meet Larry, Adam, and Edge!" then he picked up a guitar, most definitely not his b/c it was very small and looked like he had signed it, and he pushed play on the CD player and started playing and singing the song. Then the group of African singers and dancers joined him and by the end, the entire building was singing. I wish I remembered more of the song. Some lines I remember was the final chorus "If you get to the top of the mountain, will you tell me what you see?" I dunno how well the song would do as a normal single, but it was VERY appropriate for the DATA presentation.

Any more details? Didja get to meet Bono? :hyper:

bonosloveslave said:

Any more details? Didja get to meet Bono? :hyper:

OMG, are there ever details!!! So many stories to tell! Yes, I met him twice, yes pictures are on the way, maybe done by Thursday. I have class again pretty soon, but later on this afternoon I'll type out my experience and share it with ya.

OMG, are there ever details!!! So many stories to tell! Yes, I met him twice, yes pictures are on the way, maybe done by Thursday. I have class again pretty soon, but later on this afternoon I'll type out my experience and share it with ya.

Wha?!? Twice? Did you follow him around all day? Did he recognize you the 2nd time? I sooooo wanna go to Cinncinati :(

bonosloveslave said:

Wha?!? Twice? Did you follow him around all day? Did he recognize you the 2nd time? I sooooo wanna go to Cinncinati :(

There's a really funny story that goes with it, I'll tell ya later cus I've got bio in a few.

I'm trying to get a ride to see him in Chicago tomorrow. Anyone going?

DAMN!
*looking forward to hearing the stories*:hyper: :hyper:

o, it's a good song...it was powerful...tears were literally running down my face and my legs were shaking so hard that i had to hold onto the barrier in front of me so i didn't fall...front and center...we couldn't have been more than 10 feet from him...best experience of my life!

*edit--> watching that clip just brought everything back...holy freaking cow! i was in the dead middle! right behind 3 rows of VIPs! *dies*

Last edited:
Sounds like a great song, and if you got to be there, wow!

Here's some more lyrics Bono read off at another site:

This is the time to finish what you started
And this is no time to dream
This morning we can turn off the dark light
Maybe then we might see
This is my American Prayer, American Prayer.

Love that man!

AM said:
just heard the clip and it sounds like a really good tune.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic, I can?t wait to hear your story.... :hyper:

I posted some pics, the thread was moved to Band Meetings

Jam Jar said:

The song was called "An American Prayer" -- a little nod to Jim Morrison, perhaps -- and it was a ballad in the vein of "One" or "Stuck in a Moment." The chorus featured a lyric along the lines of "When we get to the top of the mountain..." (report by Jonathan Houghton) "

okay, I was expecting a song in that vein last night...
maybe the lyrics are, but definately not the music, he pointed to the boom box and said "In there are Larry, Edge, and Adam!" and when he turned it on I was totally suprised.
It was fucking amazing, I tell you that... more gospelly than any of those other songs.

Re: Re: an american prayer?

Kristie said:

It was fucking amazing, I tell you that... more gospelly than any of those other songs.

:yes: :up:

Did you have a ticket last night? BTW, Beth called a Jubilee lady this morning and they might try and get us on the guest list for the Presby meeting in Lousiville!

Re: Re: Re: an american prayer?

BTW, Beth called a Jubilee lady this morning and they might try and get us on the guest list for the Presby meeting in Lousiville!

*crosses fingers*

Re: Re: Re: an american prayer?

Did you have a ticket last night? BTW, Beth called a Jubilee lady this morning and they might try and get us on the guest list for the Presby meeting in Lousiville!

no, no ticket.. I was like 10th in line in the "Give us tickets!" line and me and David managed to look cute and needy enough to get tickets. I got one and he's like "Go on!" but I wouldn't until he got one, I would feel terrible, he'd already given me his coat in like 20 degree weather and he's not even a U2 fan. We were in the third row, on the balcony, the theater is really tiny so we were closer than I expected.
Anyway, yeah I heard about the thing for the meeting! EEK I hope we get in. Unless there's not gonna be very many people there and we'll stick out really bad.
David is like the nicest boy in the entire world.

Back
Top Bottom