American Idol...sings ONE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:no: ewwwwww :( i don't like american idol

sorry bonofox :shrug:

edit: i just found out that elliot is not the grey haired guy, so i'm a little less bummed out, but still... American Idol? who does MJB think she is anyway?

sorry, am i over reacting?

Last edited:
^^ Yeah.. I really dont think a lot of people do...but I do...and well in all my years watching it no one had sung a U2 song..until now...One ia a great song, and well the fact that MJB was there singing it when she had sung it with Bono a lot of times....

well the fact is that it was a U2 song!!:wink:

I don't get it, does Mary J own some rights to that song now? I never ever thought I'd hear a u2 song on a show like that, they are usually so protective of their songs and how they are used! I was shocked when I heard it, actually.:ohmy:

yes yes i am sorry. hey, but you know what? a couple of years ago when they did that World Idol thing the Norweigen idol sang Beautiful Day and won the competition beating out America's own Kelly Clarksen :wink: do you know what i'm talking about? that was pretty cool... i guess :rolleyes: :wink:

love2bmama said:
I don't get it, does Mary J own some rights to that song now? I never ever thought I'd hear a u2 song on a show like that, they are usually so protective of their songs and how they are used! I was shocked when I heard it, actually.:ohmy:

You are right I didnt think about that..but Im guessing MJB or AI productions had to get some kind of permissdion:shrug:

zooperson said:
yes yes i am sorry. hey, but you know what? a couple of years ago when they did that World Idol thing the Norweigen idol sang Beautiful Day and won the competition beating out America's own Kelly Clarksen :wink: do you know what i'm talking about? that was pretty cool... i guess :rolleyes: :wink:

I missed World Idol....so I guess U2 has been sung on this competition show...Oh and no worries Zooperson, about not liking AI...I personally do and ....YES I VOTE:reject:

I voted for Taylor Hicks...the grey haired guy...

Last edited:
^^^ Ah ah ha ha!! I guess I should have checked the Lemonade Stand..and Yes U2fanatic have the same avatar..very funny!:lol:
I dunno I guess they can merge the threads...

and I agree "no one sings it like Bono"....but again I was just excited to here a U2 song;)

I thought the guy was doing a good job, but I *really* don't like the way MJB sings One. My friends were wrinkling their faces and I said "yeah, maybe someone should remind her that this song does, in fact, have a melody and is not a random sequence of warblely notes."

Congrats to Taylor! I gotta say, I watched the tryouts and he was my favorite from the very beginning.

The UK version had an act that sang Angel Of Harlem and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For....

I didn't think much of it though, I'm not really a fan of these reality TV shows. :shrug:

There was also an ad for the network that had "One" (MJB version) playing in the background. But I don't know if it was the AI network or the Lost network, since I was flipping back and forth. Anyway, it was quite startling to hear it not only once but twice last night.

I got rather excited when Elliott came out siging One. I just wish Mary J would have left him sing it, since he's the one on AI and all...

I think she somehow stole the rights to that song and thinks it's hers. :huh:

I also made me really happy when they sang Don't Stop together! Anyone else a Fleetwood Mac fan? :D :heart:

Bono Mot said:
There was also an ad for the network that had "One" (MJB version) playing in the background. But I don't know if it was the AI network or the Lost network, since I was flipping back and forth. Anyway, it was quite startling to hear it not only once but twice last night.

It was ABC...

see article below:

TV Upfronts Offer Song-and-Dance Sales Pitches
May 24, 2006

----------

While blatantly begging for advertiser dollars, network execs
showcased their new fall lineups amid showy production numbers, star
power, and posh parties. Here’s our complete report from Upfront Week
festivities.

----------

Ad buyers and television journalists got quite an earful at last
week’s upfront presentations. In between executives touting ratings,
highlighting their reach of key demos, and spouting other industry-
speak, Mary J. Blige sang of ABC as the “One” network; the cast of
Jersey Boys changed “Big Girls Don’t Cry” into “Upfronts, Please Buy”
for CBS; and the Black Eyed Peas performed a new version of “Let’s
Get It Started” customized for the CW. And those were just a few of
the tongue-in-cheek yet blatant appeals from the networks to convince
advertisers to open their wallets. This year the networks were
definitely up front about their purpose.

<snip>

To promote its new marketing tagline as the “one network,” a clip
montage set to the U2 song “One” was capped off by the arrival of
Mary J. Blige on the stage, singing along with Bono’s prerecorded
part. As a follow-up to last year’s Busby Berkeley-style number with
the ladies of Desperate Housewives and creator Marc Cherry, this year
William Shatner of Boston Legal performed a song-and-dance routine
about the “beautiful boys” of ABC. McPherson himself performed
another dance routine, with professional ballroom dancer Edyta
Sliwinska from Dancing With the Stars.

:sad:sorry bonofox...i didnt realize I had the same avatar as you hope you don't mind. I can change it if it bothers you.. I was just getting bored with mine..

GeneralGripweed said:
I got rather excited when Elliott came out siging One. I just wish Mary J would have left him sing it, since he's the one on AI and all...

I think she somehow stole the rights to that song and thinks it's hers. :huh:

I also made me really happy when they sang Don't Stop together! Anyone else a Fleetwood Mac fan? :D :heart:

Fleetwood Mac fan!!!:wave:

U2Fanatic4ever said:

It was ABC...

see article below:

<snip>

:sad:sorry bonofox...i didnt realize I had the same avatar as you hope you don't mind. I can change it if it bothers you.. I was just getting bored with mine..

Hun no worries..IT doesnt bother me at all..Im changing mine too eventually;)..It's just that Im loving the hoodie and Crazy about the man wearing it:D

zooperson said:
hey, but you know what? a couple of years ago when they did that World Idol thing the Norweigen idol sang Beautiful Day and won the competition beating out America's own Kelly Clarksen :wink: do you know what i'm talking about? that was pretty cool... i guess :rolleyes: :wink:

Yeah, Kurt... :D

He won with Beautiful Day but as someone else said, he sang several U2 songs during the competition in Norway - I remember hearing him sing One also...

I just can't take it when someone else is singing U2 songs :crack:, no matter how good they might be at singing - it just doesn't feel right! Have the same thing with Queen and R.E.M. songs (one of the Norwegian Idols sang Everybody Hurts a few fridays ago :yikes: )... :shrug:

zooperson said:
:no: ewwwwww :( i don't like american idol

sorry bonofox :shrug:

edit: i just found out that elliot is not the grey haired guy, so i'm a little less bummed out, but still... American Idol? who does MJB think she is anyway?

sorry, am i over reacting?

No, you are not over reacting!! MJB should stop singing "One" Only one human being can sing that song,and we know it is the B man!! Now that she is singing it, they are using the song on ABC comercials with clips of all the ABC dramas:madspit: I think they are corrupting the true meaning of this amazing song.

Merc said:

Yeah, Kurt... :D

He won with Beautiful Day but as someone else said, he sang several U2 songs during the competition in Norway - I remember hearing him sing One also...

I just can't take it when someone else is singing U2 songs :crack:, no matter how good they might be at singing - it just doesn't feel right! Have the same thing with Queen and R.E.M. songs (one of the Norwegian Idols sang Everybody Hurts a few fridays ago :yikes: )... :shrug:

I hate Kurt Nilsen.. Sorry, I just can't stand how everyone says that he sounds so much like Bono, but he doesn't!! He's not even close! But then again, how can anyone be..? :wink:
It was really cool that he won over Kelly Clarkson, though.
OMG, and Alex won the whole thing too! I laugh at the musicians in the Norwegian Idol, they can't play the songs right!
One of the girls sang Streets a while ago, and it was horrible! And they took away the entire solo!! And the drums were louder than the guitar! :yikes: :crazy:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I thought the guy was doing a good job, but I *really* don't like the way MJB sings One. My friends were wrinkling their faces and I said "yeah, maybe someone should remind her that this song does, in fact, have a melody and is not a random sequence of warblely notes."

Congrats to Taylor! I gotta say, I watched the tryouts and he was my favorite from the very beginning.

:wave: Same here! I'm so glad someone different finally won.

And I have to echo both yours and GeneralGripweed's comments.

I'm starting to get tired of MJB's "One." I don't know why. I think she overdoes it. The only Idol I would have wanted to sing that song would have been Elliott. Like GeneralGripweed said, I wish she'd let him sing more. He was much better than she was.

not to offend anyone,MJB is a wonderful singer and all,but I don`t really like her singing that song(for instant "the grammy awards) nor do I like American Idol,but I do love the ONE song.thank you Zooperson
and same here LLABM... :lmao: :lmao: :rockon: :bump:

Edgy Thing said:
I hate Kurt Nilsen.. Sorry, I just can't stand how everyone says that he sounds so much like Bono, but he doesn't!! He's not even close! But then again, how can anyone be..? :wink:
It was really cool that he won over Kelly Clarkson, though.
OMG, and Alex won the whole thing too! I laugh at the musicians in the Norwegian Idol, they can't play the songs right!
One of the girls sang Streets a while ago, and it was horrible! And they took away the entire solo!! And the drums were louder than the guitar! :yikes: :crazy:

Best post of the entire thread! :lol:

...å hvis Tor Milde så bare sang lidt oftere, så ville Norsk Idol vere helt perfekt! :wink:

I really don't like MJB's version either...
here some gal did I still haven't found... but THE GUITAR PART WAS WRONG WRONG WRONG!
they took the additional guitar instead of the main gutiar part! it sounded HORRIBLE! I couldn't even bear to listen to it!

OMG!!! I just saw the premiere of the One video on VH1
and I reallllly didnt like the fact that it was titled ONE, with Mary J Blidge featuring U2.....((FEATURING U2???))...I heard it and dont like this version.:down:..((Just my opinion))..If not only for the video ..The vid has a lot potential for stills though...lots of Larry cameos!!!...OMG!! do we need stills of this video!!!!!:hyper::up:

BonoFox1 said:
OMG!!! I just saw the premiere of the One video on VH1
and I reallllly didnt like the fact that it was titled ONE, with Mary J Blidge featuring U2.....((FEATURING U2???))...I heard it and dont like this version.:down:..((Just my opinion))..If not only for the video ..The vid has a lot potential for stills though...lots of Larry cameos!!!...OMG!! do we need stills of this video!!!!!:hyper::up:

Í love the fact that in the video, EVERY shot of larry.. he looks incredibly moody and annoyed :lol: I would be, if I had to watch both Bono's and MJB's arses non stop!

:shifty: seriously, Bono SPITS a lot when he sings...

Yargh, three times this week people have come up to me snickering because they've seen the ad on ABC with MJB ("featuring U2" hmph) and taunting me with "U2 sold out, U2 sold out!" :mad:

Gg -- :lol: bono spit! that tickled me....

Back
Top Bottom