Ali thread #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
edunart3.jpg

mrs-bono-150x200.jpg

Fashion with an ethical twist

A look at who's who in the ethical fashion business – and why you should support them

This season I'll mostly be wearing green. Once the preserve of a small group of Glastonbury hippies; Peruvian knitwear, multicoloured patchwork leather boots, itchy hemp clothing – ethical fashion has gone mainstream. From politicians to upmarket fashion designers, these days everyone is keen to show their green credentials.

Whether it's through organically grown cotton or manufacturing methods that care for the environment (as well as the workforce), or Fairtrade merchandise that supports workers and farmers, the fashion-conscious have finally found a conscience.

Here we take a behind-the-scenes look at three ethical fashion brands with some key ideas.

High profile: Edun

When Ali Hewson and her rock-star husband Bono became interested in creating a socially responsible clothing range, they turned to New York designer, Rogan Gregory. The creative force behind the hip label Rogan, and denim brand Loomstate (made from 100% certified organic cotton), Gregory had been designing sustainable clothing for some years. When asked about the advantages of the Bono connection, Rogan diplomatically remarks, 'He is a mentor, a statesmen and an inspiration. We don't count on him for fashion advice, he leaves that to me and Ali.' And so, with the emphasis on trade, not aid – and with Bono sticking to his day job - the socially conscious label Edun was born.

Designed for people 'who appreciate design but also want to know how and where their clothes are made', according to Rogan. The company ethos is to 'give the people we work with the opportunity to market their products and their craftsmanship, and to be seen on a higher fashion level. We also try to elevate their capabilities, to make them competitive with the rest of the world. Edun is a for-profit business, so we give them the opportunity – and hopefully a leg-up in the market.'

This support is much needed, as Hewson points out. 'In 1980 Africa had 6% of world trade; by 2002 this had dropped to just 2%, despite the fact that Africa has 12% of the world's population. If they could regain an additional 1% share of global trade, it would earn $70 billion more exports each year, more than three times what they're receiving in international assistance.'

Now four years old, Edun has well and truly established itself as a fashion player with a conscience. 'We are small but we're loud - and a lot of people are listening to us,' says Rogan. 'Considering the alternative fibres we use, where and who is making the garments… it's not easy, but we are seeing benefits.'

Edun clothes are stocked at Harvey Nichols (020 7235 5000). For more information visit www.edun.ie

great pics!!! thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!

"my man......" yeah, that was beyond cute.

I loved how she is biking now. Actually got a real kick out of that since i've been doing the same the last 3 years as soon as the weather permits. I bike everywhere when i can, to run errands, or just for exercise. makes me feel like i have something in common with Ali now, besides admiring her hubby. :cute:

thankyou again for the great pics!!

Thanks for the Dutch links!!

Aside - I really wish people would READ what it says on my webpages and STOP e-mailing me love letters and crap addressed to Ali. :huh:

:hmm: this reminds me I should pick up a One tshirt when I'll be in amsterdam soon :D

also, I have that magazine!!! :lol: I found it in the supermarket and suddenly saw the name Bono on the cover...

Justin24 said:
Ali is hot. Bono is a lucky man.

Please don't forget the fact that Ali is also one lucky woman.

I'm sure that there are at least a million women in the world who wish that they were in her place. :sexywink:

I would think that Ali was cool even if she had a different "man".

Thanks for the new pics of her and Helena.:applaud:

I think I was talking to Justin, my friend. :laugh:

I would think that you would agree with my comments about Ali.

Jamila said:
Please don't forget the fact that Ali is also one lucky woman.

I'm sure that there are at least a million women in the world who wish that they were in her place. :sexywink:

Yes, lest we deign to forget the MILLION other threads already about said person... :rolleyes: At least Justin was on topic....

Liesje said:
Thanks for the Dutch links!!

Aside - I really wish people would READ what it says on my webpages and STOP e-mailing me love letters and crap addressed to Ali. :huh:

Join the club! I used to have a webshots page with tons of public pics and people used to send messages addressed to Ali, as if I had any kind of relationship with her.

Niamh_Saoirse said:

Join the club! I used to have a webshots page with tons of public pics and people used to send messages addressed to Ali, as if I had any kind of relationship with her.

Weird!

It's annoying b/c some of the correspondence is legit and I feel like people are wasting their own time for good causes. Like last month some film producer person wanted to do something with the Black Wind White Land documentary, but geesh, what am I gonna say? I'm sick of even telling them to phone Principle.

This week's e-mail was a letter from a couple going to Dublin on business wanting to meet Bono and Ali. They included personal info like their phone number. It also described some weird dream one of them had.... :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom