Ali thread 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Niamh_Saoirse said:
:lol: @ this article:

Dang, and I had to go through four years of college and journalism school to get my degree and *still* nobody would hire me to write this trash.

:confused:

<checks diploma to make sure it doesn't say "degree in trash journalism" instead of just plain old "degree in journalism">

Well, like Bono always says...you can't do his job unless you don't mind the custard pies, and I imagine that goes for Ali as well.

"Have you warned him of the dangers to his eyesight of wearing the sunglasses indoors all the time?"

A minor point but...exposure to light over a person's lifetime is one of the biggest contributing factors to macular degeneration, so more likely avoiding daily light exposure would be good for your eyes. Ok, sorry, just my little obsessive compulsive need to correct errors I see in articles.

Last edited:
I think this letter/article is so ridiculous and full of personal insults, out of jealosy or whatever, that it's not even worth the time to react in any way.

drdre12 said:
Awesome! Have a great time! I wish I could be there...graduated from the college 5 years to early! I saw Edun Live on Edun's website, so some Miami students developed that? Very cool. Miami is a great school to do it. The college students there have the money to buy many an expensive t-shirt!

Actually, EDUN developed EDUN LIVE.

I don't exactly know how the students at Miami University got involved in this venture aside of what is being reported in the media, but Miami University is the alma mater of Rogan Gregory - so I bet there was a bit of two-way discussion on this venture. :wink:

Dear Ms. Lynch:

Nice article, big use of words...but let me ask you....

1. How long have you been with your significant other?
2. How long have you been married?
3. Do you have children?
4. How old?
5. Are you in the public lime light day after day.

If you don't have the same answers to the above questions, then I must suggest you do not know what your talking about!

1. 34 years Bono has known Ali
2. August 2007 will be their 26th wedding Anniversary.
3. & 4
They have 4 children: daughters Jordan (born 10 May 1989 which incidentally was Bono's 29th birthday) and Memphis Eve (born 7 July 1991); and sons Elijah Bob Patricius Guggi Q (born 18 August 1999) and John Abraham (born 21 May 2001). The girls are teenagers.
5. Bono has been in the public lime light since 1976, starting out in Dublin.

The only that should be embarrassed is you for writing such trash.

JCOSTER said:
2. August 2007 will be their 26th wedding Anniversary.
Sorry to correct you, but this year they will have their 25th anniversary. My God, that's a quarter century. That is really something in times like these.

Niamh_Saoirse said:
:lol: @ this article:

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Dear Mrs Hewson…
By Ellen Lynch

OR MAY I call you Ali? I'm moved to write to empathise with you, as someone who is often embarrassed, mortified, annoyed and irritated by your husband Bono's actions and behaviour. Yours is not an easy lot and I felt a letter of support wouldn't go astray.

I've seen your photograph often, in the papers and magazines, when you're snapped alongside him. All credit to you for being able to force a smile each time.

It can't be easy on cringe-making occasions when the hubby is making the usual show of himself with some selfserving statement or other.

Living, and particularly appearing in public, with someone given to such overblown public pronouncements, can't be easy and the brave face you put on things, while admirable, can't go on indefinitely. So I'm hoping that my little bit of advice will be of help. I'm sure you have, on many occasions over the years, just like the rest of us, trying to rein in the worse excesses of errant husbands, had a word in his earringed over-lobe about toning down the pronouncements in which he styles himself the noughties messiah. I'm sure you've told him he can get his message across about world hunger, about AIDS and about pretty much everything else he expounds on, without sounding like a third-rate Billy Graham. I'm sure you've pointed out to him that you yourself achieve great things and have done great work with your Chernobyl childrens' charity and in your other altruistic endeavours, by simply getting on with it, by doing the work, rather than by banging on about it. Alas Ali, it probably hasn't made much difference as you've probably come to the same conclusion as the rest of us at this stage its the sound of his own voice that he's addicted to.

It doesn't mean you shouldn't try though to curb his embarrassing public fulminations.

We’ve been preached to long enough in this country by a clergy that tells us to do one things while themselves doing another. We'd already begun to rail against that by staying out of the churches when your hubby came along and started preaching to the punters who shelled out their hard earned money to go and hear his band in concert. At least they were fans and likely to be somewhat patient but when he took his crusade outside the concert arena, and a certain amount of gravitas was attached to his pronouncements, well then it was all too much for the rest of us.

I'm sure too you've pointed out (you've probably had to be diplomatic in so doing) that being vocal on the subject of poverty and world hunger and then taking yourself out of the country for tax purposes, is, well, a tad hypocritical? Unless of course the reason he wants to hold onto more and more of the squillions he earns is so that he can donate more to the causes he espouses?

I'd imagine too that words were exchanged in the Hewson household before that court case with the lovely Lola began. You strike me as a pragmatic sort, you must have wondered, like the rest of us, why the hell he was making such a fuss over a pair of auld manky trousers and a hat that always made him look ridiculous? You had to have guessed that going to court over such trivial items would have made him look petty and spiteful. Did you advise him only to have him spurn your advice?

I could see him doing that, alright.

Did he regret taking the case when all the details of his insecurities came out in public? When we heard all about his concern over his image, over his appearance, his lack of height? Or did he feel vindicated when he won the case this week and nothing else mattered?

Husbands, eh, Mrs. Hewson? You try to advise them, to guide them, but they insist on doing their own thing. I'm sure at this stage too that you've had a word with him about the yellow and pink shades.

Have you suggested that wearing rosetinted glasses all the time IS likely to warp his perspective of the world? Have you warned him of the dangers to his eyesight of wearing the sunglasses indoors all the time? Maybe you've suggested a style makeover too? Probably he feels his rock star status entitles him to look as ridiculous as he does at his age now. He probably feels that if wrinklies like Mick Jagger and Keith Wood still dress as vagabond gypsies then he has a way to go. If he won't listen to you, take comfort in the fact that your kids will soon be teenagers and won't be long about telling him to shut up and stop making a show of them. Until then, just keep smiling in the photos and laughing all the way to the bank.

..geez, I think someone wants to get a life! I wonder how long and how many thesaurus books this person gleened to produce all this crap? Reading between the lines, methinks that Ellen Lynch must be either a) very bored in her life or b) married or been married to a complete arsehole and therefore paints them all with the same brush.

So, Ms Lynch:

I too, like Bono and Ali will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversery this year. I won't pretend it's been plain sailing. We take the rough with the smooth, the good with the bad. Children come along and guess what, WE ADAPT. We get there because we want to....IT'S CALLED LURVE, Ms Lynch, LURVE, and we do it because we want to. And yeah, we're growing old and wrinkly together, doesn't mean to say that we're passed it or that we can't laugh at ourselves and let other people laugh with us.

For frigs' sake, get a life...GET LAID...and give us a break...

last unicorn said:

Sorry to correct you, but this year they will have their 25th anniversary. My God, that's a quarter century. That is really something in times like these.

ooops! My mistake :crazy: I was thinking 81, but Ms. Lynch woulndn't even know if it was wrong...based upon her writing.

teenie said:
Great images!! Thankyou Kelly:) Im guessing you'll be the one to come up with their lost wedding photos.

Yep, she'd be the one! :wink: This is the only one I have.

BonoAliWedding.jpg

A minor point but...exposure to light over a person's lifetime is one of the biggest contributing factors to macular degeneration [/B]

Thank you for pointing that out. My mother has mascular degeneration due to a.)heredity and b.)lying out in the sun for half her life. I've forever got on sunglasses now and don't mind putting my Edun hoodie hood up for shade! It's a bad disease...she's half blind now and swears it's due to staring at the suuuuunnnn. :wink:

There's another wedding pic around also isn't there? I'm looking for it...

Also I was thinking do you think that is even the author of the article's real name? Who would want their name attached to something so embarrassingly stupid?! :lol:

Oh yay! That's the one I was looking for before I realized it was on my defunct laptop. Bravo!!!!

(I love that hair! :giggle: )

Im going to the Edun event tomorrow too with my mum.. so you will have me there too. .. got the VIP tickets so right down front baby!! and if Bono shows up that would probably be where they would set... im about 3 hours away so yeah.. im so excited!

tanner_sis said:
Im going to the Edun event tomorrow too with my mum.. so you will have me there too. .. got the VIP tickets so right down front baby!! and if Bono shows up that would probably be where they would set... im about 3 hours away so yeah.. im so excited!

That's great! How did you get VIP tix?

tanner_sis said:

WOOO HOOO!!! Lucky you I cant wait for you to report back to us!!!:hyper:

HAVE FUN!!!:wave:

well im not gonna give details cause I am so happy I got them anyways because the woman was so great and I dont want to take advantage of her decision to give them to me.. but I just called the school yesterday and talked to a few people about how much of a fan I am of Ali and Bonos and the fact that I am the organizer of my local One group here in Coshocton.. if any of you that wanna go and you see a girl with a (RED) inspired hoodie on and she has Maroon and black hair come up and say hi to me!!

tanner_sis said:
well im not gonna give details cause I am so happy I got them anyways because the woman was so great and I dont want to take advantage of her decision to give them to me.. but I just called the school yesterday and talked to a few people about how much of a fan I am of Ali and Bonos and the fact that I am the organizer of my local One group here in Coshocton.. if any of you that wanna go and you see a girl with a (RED) inspired hoodie on and she has Maroon and black hair come up and say hi to me!!

Good for you!
I was debating going but I'm about 4.5 hours away and can't get out of work. Definitely report back for us.

:wave:

yeah trust me i will be reporting back.. im gonna try to take my recorder too...

tanner_sis said:

Have fun this evening and make sure to take lots of pics! :D

Just realised that Bono's tie was done up properly..... :giggle:...wonder who dressed him on his wedding day?

MsPurrl said:

it would be great to get a glance of the actual dress Ali wore that day. I LOVE what she did with her hair, the band around her head with the veil and the little flowers, it's very unique yet simple. Always makes me more curious to see what the dress might have been like.
Bono looks super sharp, in a funny way, because the way he's dressed totally clashes with his racoon mullet hairdo, but that makes him even more lovable.

But my all time fave thing in all the pics is how Ali is just one big smile from ear to ear in each shot. they look so happy. And the sweetest thing is that often in pics taken today, that smile is still there at times when she looks at him, like in the pics below.
so awesome.

bonoali271206-3.jpg

bonoali271206-4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom