Ali For President Of Ireland?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina Marie

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Bono would be First Lady
biggrin.gif

April 15, 2002
From The Irish Mirror:

PRESIDENT ALI
HUMAN RIGHTS WORK MAKES BONO'S WIFE LABOUR PARTY'S CHOICE AS
HEAD OF STATE

Caoimhe Young

THE Labour Party is to invite Bono's wife Ali Hewson to run for President, it emerged
yesterday.

Party chiefs believe the high-profile human rights campaigner would be a winner with
voters.

Hewson, who has always shied away from her husband's fame, has spearheaded the
massive Shut Sellafield Campaign. Labour Party HQ in Dublin refused to comment on
plans to bring the anti-nuclear campaigner on board.

However a party insider said: "I think Ali might need a bit of convincing.

"She's a mother of four but she has always had world issues at heart and she'd make
the perfect candidate.

"The Labour Party has always had a high opinion of Ali and her wide knowledge of
environmental issues."

The 41-year-old is a close friend of the party's failed presidential candidate, Children
of Chernobyl champion Adi Roche.

Labour took the Irish political scene by storm in 1990 when it enlisted barrister and law
lecturer Mary Robinson for President.

She defeated Fianna Fail's Brian Lenihan and Fine Gael's Austin Currie in the race for
Aras an Uactarian.

But the party's bid to repeat the victory fell short in 1997 when President Mary McAleesse
finished well ahead of Adi Roche.

Hewson has raised her own public profile in recent months with the clever anti-Sellafield
campaign.

She has called in the support of pop diva Samantha Mumba and Hollywood actor Colin
Farrell.

Every household in the country has received a pre-paid postcard addressed to either
Tony Blair, Prince Charles or the chief executive of British Nuclear Fuels.

Four million cards have been printed in three designs featuring an anti-Sellafield message.

Hewson managed to persuade all major supermarkets, except British-owned Tesco, to sell
the cards.

Determined campaigner Ali has spent the last month doing endless television and radio
interviews to convince the people of Ireland to help close down the nuclear plant.

A childhood sweetheart of the U2 frontman, she went to the same school as Bono in Marino,
Dublin.

Ali studied politics at UCD and like Bono, who has campaigned to end Third World debt, she
has never stepped back from issues she believes in.

She has visited Chernobyl many times and won an award for her documentary Black Wind
White Land on the devastating aftermath of the disaster.

A spokeswoman for Hewson said the Labour Party has not yet approached the Sellafield
campaigner.

I think she'd win and I think she could do it, but I don't think the Hewsons are ready to give in to a life domiated by politics just yet. Otherwise, Bono would have run for something himself. I think when they're older, they will, but now they need the freedom of the rock and roll lifestyle and I think they are enjoying it. They have it all- they can still crusade, but still go on with their personal lives. If she were elected, all that would be over, and there would be tons of stress.

------------------
When you stop taking chances and stay where you sit you won't live any longer but it'll feel like it!

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
that's so cool! i dont think she'll do it, but still cool!

That's how I feel. Imagine if she were elected, the added scrutiny and public spotlight she and Bono and the kids would be subjected to. Lord knows they wouldn't do it for the money. She might be more effective in the postition that she is now, most people are much more critical of politicians than activists. Besides, she would not only be dealing with the Sellafield thing but EVERYTHING. You get a lot less popular really fast when you are the one who has to take sides on issues and make sometimes unpopular decisions. If I were her, I'd run- away from any public office!

Could you imagine too to implications this would have on Bono's life? He'd have to always be on guard and keep up appearances, which I think would ruin all his fun. No more cool gear and leather jackets and scruffiness. He'd have to always dress like a businessman. He'd have to change his freewheeling lifestyle too- no more hanging out in bars with buddies getting drunk, maybe even no more rock and roll or touring- it would just be too controversial for the husband of the president! I would hate to see him held back like that, and I think HE'D hate it!

Think of the kids- Bono and Ali have tried hard to raise them as normally as possible. A mother for president would end all of that and give them a life in a fishbowl. They are so young to have to deal with that.

I do hope she will seriously consider all the drawbacks and implications before she decides on such a big move.

------------------
SHE WANTED THE HIGHWAY, SHE'S HAPPIER THERE, TODAY!

Originally posted by She wanted the highway:
Could you imagine too to implications this would have on Bono's life? He'd have to always be on guard and keep up appearances, which I think would ruin all his fun. No more cool gear and leather jackets and scruffiness. He'd have to always dress like a businessman. He'd have to change his freewheeling lifestyle too- no more hanging out in bars with buddies getting drunk, maybe even no more rock and roll or touring- it would just be too controversial for the husband of the president! I would hate to see him held back like that, and I think HE'D hate it!

oh come on. He wouldn't have to do anything he didn't want to. For goodness sake, he never has done it the way others have expected him to within the "rock" arena, why the hell would he start now? I doubt she'll run, but I doubt even more that Bono would suddenly change into some sort of person that he is not. Give the man a little credit.
wink.gif

Wow! That's incredible!!

------------------
"I'm nearly great, but there's something missing..."

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
oh come on. He wouldn't have to do anything he didn't want to. For goodness sake, he never has done it the way others have expected him to within the "rock" arena, why the hell would he start now? I doubt she'll run, but I doubt even more that Bono would suddenly change into some sort of person that he is not. Give the man a little credit.
wink.gif

Indeed Sula
smile.gif

I don't think that if Ali did this it would change Bono one bit. I think they chose Ali for her works, not because she is Bono's wife. Yes, she is more prominent because of Bono, but she has used that to her advantage. Rather than being one of those "society" wives who paste their name to a cause, she is out there doing what she believes in.

Furthermore, you have to remember that not everyone is as obsessed with "celebrity" as Americans are.

------------------
Daisy
Love is a temple
Love's a higher law

AIM: daisyone75

[This message has been edited by daisybean (edited 04-15-2002).]

What Bonochick said. This IS incredible.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

OMG that is the COOLEST THING EVER!!!!
biggrin.gif
Just imagine: HE'S the leader in the world's coolest rock & roll band; SHE'S the President of Ireland!! Truth definitely would be stranger than fiction...this sounds like the odd premise of a book or something.

She'd no doubt abhor the publicity, but "the first husband" would eat it up! I think Ali would make an awesome Prez...and Bono's so politically active already...it would be a match made in Eire heaven!

As if we need yet ANOTHER reason to move to Ireland...GO ALI!!!

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 04-15-2002).]

Originally posted by daisybean:

I don't think that if Ali did this it would change Bono one bit. I think they chose Ali for her works, not because she is Bono's wife. Yes, she is more prominent because of Bono, but she has used that to her advantage. Rather than being one of those "society" wives who paste their name to a cause, she is out there doing what she believes in.

Furthermore, you have to remember that not everyone is as obsessed with "celebrity" as Americans are.

I NEVER said she was chosen because she is Bono's wife for Heaven's sakes!!!!!! Of course she was chosen on her own, but the effects it would have on the entire family cannot be denied.

------------------
SHE WANTED THE HIGHWAY, SHE'S HAPPIER THERE, TODAY!

Originally posted by Discoteque:
OMG that is the COOLEST THING EVER!!!!
biggrin.gif
Just imagine: HE'S the leader in the world's coolest rock & roll band; SHE'S the President of Ireland!! Truth definitely would be stranger than fiction...this sounds like the odd premise of a book or something.

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 04-15-2002).]

It would make a great sitcom....

"I married the President"

Scene: Ali in her presidental office looking over bills and legislations and Bono comes in

Bono: Ali Love, have you seen my blue goggles? I seem to have lost them.
Ali: Um, no dear, ask the maid
Bono: Okay, hey is there anyway you could get my Birthday to be a national Holiday
Ali: no
Bono: Please, it would be fun... We could close all the shops and businesses and drink lots of beer.
Ali: no, don't you have an album to make, I'm busy here.

------------------
Daisy
Love is a temple
Love's a higher law

AIM: daisyone75

Wow! So they're running this in a paper before they approach her? LOL! I feel like she'd never do it, but I loved reading that.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Laura
~~~
Something to do with politics, kids, freshness, and breakthrough.
And love.

(Joan Baez)
~~~

...what's a Bono?

This is much more serious than "oh wow neato cool" and TV fantasy. I hope they will consider everything. Running an entire country, especially one with problems like Ireland has, is no "piece of cake." Hasn't anyone considered the IRA, the religious and political differences there and more? This is no party, I can't believe how lightly you all regard this situation. Though I may be disagreed with by most or all of you, I do believe that Bono and Ali are thinking of the very same things I brought up, though that is not as much fun and not so "cool."

[This message has been edited by She wanted the highway (edited 04-15-2002).]

I think it is an honor to be considered and that if she ran, she would have an excellent chance of winning, considering her background.

But forget it, I doubt she would ever consider it.

No way, Jose! 4 Kids, Plus Bono? and being President? She'd have to be insane!

Originally posted by oktobergirl:
I think it is an honor to be considered and that if she ran, she would have an excellent chance of winning, considering her background.

But forget it, I doubt she would ever consider it.

No way, Jose! 4 Kids, Plus Bono? and being President? She'd have to be insane!

Right. Even w/o Bono and kids, there is so much turmoil in that country I wouldn't touch that job with a ten foot pole, for any price.

[This message has been edited by Shine * Like* Stars* (edited 04-15-2002).]

As insane as one would have to be to touch such a job, there are stubborn people like me who do stuff just because someone said I wouldn't/couldn't do it (granted jumping off bridges and other silliness doesn't apply). So I wouldn't be surprised if she did just to shut us all up.

That's a great honor regardless and very deserving.

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

Originally posted by mbi16:
As insane as one would have to be to touch such a job, there are stubborn people like me who do stuff just because someone said I wouldn't/couldn't do it (granted jumping off bridges and other silliness doesn't apply). So I wouldn't be surprised if she did just to shut us all up.

That's a great honor regardless and very deserving.

it is great honor to be considered for such a high position. I am sure if she is approached that she and Bono will think about all of the implications that taking on a job like this would entail. This a huge job to consider. Ali is a smart woman and to be recognized as a potential canadiate to lead a country esp. as a woman, is an honor that carries unimaginable stresses.

side note: marina, i saw that comment about bridge jumping.
wink.gif

Originally posted by mocool12:
Well, I for one do think that this is cool. And yes, like most have said, it's seriously doubtful that she'll run. The article is just speculation. I think we're all just happy to see this amazing woman be recognized in this way for all she's done. Congrats to Ali!

Ditto.

*Aliawe*

How amazing it this that her works are recognized like so? I'm loving it. (It won't happen, but I'm loving it.) SWILA can help her campaign...LOL.

SD

------------------
You don't have to be Henry Kissenger to figure out that a more prosperous world is a more secure world; a more educated world is a more tolerant world; and a more healthy world is a more stable world, and I think that would be a fitting memorial to those who lost their lives on Sept. 11th. ~Bono on Leno, Thanksgiving 2001

Originally posted by She wanted the highway:
He'd have to always be on guard and keep up appearances, which I think would ruin all his fun. No more cool gear and leather jackets and scruffiness. He'd have to always dress like a businessman.

*contemplates Bono dressing like a businessman*.....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

------------------
"Take for a while
your trumpet from your lips

Loosen your hold,
loosen your grip

On your old ways that have
fallen out of step
with the change in time

Hoist a new flag
Hoist a new flag."
-- Birds Without Wings, David Gray

Well, I for one do think that this is cool. And yes, like most have said, it's seriously doubtful that she'll run. The article is just speculation. I think we're all just happy to see this amazing woman be recognized in this way for all she's done. Congrats to Ali!

You know, she won't do it, but she should be honored by the invitation.

------------------
Into the fire, I'm reunited.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
Emily's Wallpapers

Back
Top Bottom