Ahh yes, time for yet another meeting of the Macphisto Society darlings!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
awesome girls!!
smile.gif
awesome!

THIS IS WAY BETTER THAN A NOVEL!!!
biggrin.gif

I copied and saved all of this to a Word file...it's *120 PAGES* LONG!!!
eek.gif

Brava to the Phisto's...this is such a great story!

...and now, back to your regularly scheduled program....

Adam: I can handle Lars... the thing is, Bona... it has to be done genuinely, not because I told you too. If you so much as touch him, it has to be because you love him.
*She looks up at him*
Adam: Do you?
Bona: *hesitates, looking Adam straight and deep in the eyes, afraid to say what she's about to.* Yes.

Adam: Then you know what you have to do.
Bona: Adam, I can't.
Adam: Would it make a difference if I told you that he vowed to guard and protect your child? Bona, he loves you that much. Right now he considers you worth falling for.
Bona: Adam... I love him. I do. And I go against every desire in my body when I say that I can't go up there and---
Larry: Good. Because you won't be doing anything of the sort.
*Adam and Bona look over to see a soaking wet Larry Mullen, wrapped only in a towel around his waist. Bona swallows at the sight of him, water droplets still running down his shoulders and stomach. She resists the urge to walk up to him and take the towel off of him and pull him back into the shower and...*
Bona: Larry...
Larry: I don't want you to do it. Let him fall.
Adam: Larry, why don't you dress and we can take a walk? I'd like to talk to you anyway.
*Larry eyes him for a minute, then finally grabs a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and dresses. He walks up to Bona and kisses her genuinely on the lips, and Adam and Larry both head towards the door and Bona looks after them with a worried look. Adam glances back at her and winks, shooing her out onto the balcony with a wave. After they leave, Bona sits on the bed for a few moments, still. She wonders what Adam is going to do...
Bona: *thinking* If Larry stays after this, it'll be a miracle. I'm surprised he's stayed this long. Come to think of it, maybe I don't deserve him. Ever since the night he'd first laid a hand on me out of genuine concern or love, I've done nothing but hurt him, betray him. Larry deserves better than what I've given him. He deserves someone who won't destroy his heart like I have. And Bono... he's been nothing but a solid rock since... since the stabbing. He saved my life, all my fears, doubts, desires and dreams he's seen and shared and he hasn't left my side. He's seen me at my worst and he hasn't rejected me... come to think of it I've known him for 2,000 years... since before he was a tempter and I was still working for Mackie. And even though I've been pushing him away, he still loves me and he made a vow to guard my child?!
*She pictures Bono's face, his wings and his reddish brown hair falling softly to his shoulders, the peace she felt in his arms, the smile rounded off by dimples that sent lightning up her spine, when she was still sick and injured, bedridden he'd kissed her and it made her feel in such a way as she'd never felt before. She could go up to the roof where Bono waited, suffering as he fell, and she could throw herself gratefully into his arms and tell him how she felt, lose herself in an angel's embrace, or she could stay planted right here, let him fall after everything he'd done for her, everything he'd shown her and given her and she could watch him fall, become human and die, all to stay faithfull to Larry. Larry Mullen, a man who deserved much better than a former devil who'd turned her back on him more times than she cared to admit, who now carried his child and who wasn't sure where her heart was, and who was ultimately going to hurt him in the end. Truthfully, Bona didn't want the child if Larry wasn't around with it. All or nothing. She didn't think she could live with the daily reminder of how much she'd hurt him, and for that she didn't think she deserved to live at all. For love or decency. Pick one love or the other, Bona. There are no comrimises here. She turned all this over in her mind, and slowly rose off the bed, and wrote Larry a note...*

Larry:
I cannot think of the words to say to you right now, other than I'm sorry. I'm sorry I've hurt you so many times, and I'm sorry you ever had to deal with me. I'm sorry I'm about to betray you yet again, and I'm sorry that I feel you deserve better than me. I've done nothing but hurt you, and for that I'm sorry you ever came into Bluey's limo that night at all... you didn't deserve any of this and for this, I feel I can't live with myself any longer. I love him, Larry. I love Bono too much to be able to watch him fall and die, too much to deny him this, but I also love you too much to be able to do this and ask you for forgiveness again. That I will spare you. I was a devil for three thousand years and I suppose I'll never be anything better. Please take care of yourself, and from Heaven or Hell or wherever I end up I will be watching you,

All the love I possess,
Bona.

*She walked out to the balcony and climbed the stairs, freezing at the sound of a beautiful baritone voice singing something very familiar. Those words...*

Peaceful flows the winding river,
By the weeping willow tree...

Bona: *thinking* I know that voice...

Pretty bloom the gay prim roses
In the meadows where they be.

*Bona climbs the stairs slowly and stops at the sight of Bono leaning against the rail of the roof, singing more beautifully than anyone she'd heard...*

Joyful sings the lark in heaven
Gently coos the turtle dove.
Yet my heart is heavy in me
For I live not where I love.

Bona: He sings with such sorrow...

I would with my true love wander
O'er the hill and o'er the lea,
There would I be gath'ring flowers
Growing in my own country.

*Bona starts to sing the last verse with him, and finishes climbing the stairs and watching him as he sang with such emotion, trying desperately to parallel it...

Joyful sings the lark in heaven
Gently coos the turtle dove.
Yet my heart is heavy in me,
For I live not where I love.

*As they finish, Bono turns his head slowly and stops as he sees her, obviously stunned to see her. She approaches him slowly.*
Bona: Bono? Can we talk?

[This message has been edited by Bonavoix (edited 11-07-2001).]

*Bluephisto cradles the dull grey gun in her pink hands, pointing it at the door, checking the sights...Macphisto looks up at Bluey from the water. He can read the fear and the determination not to show fear on her face, she seems much more vital now whether it was from the situation, the shock, or the fall...he didn't know.*
Macphisto: Bluey, dear...
Bluephisto: Yes?
Macphisto: How much do you remember of last night?
Bluephisto: *Glancing down at him, then resuming her watch on the door* I don't know...I remember waiting for a drink of water and then I talked to you about something, and then I woke up. Why?
Macphisto: That's really all you remember?
Bluephisto: The Fly says that he found Adam and I with you in a room downstairs...I've been meaning to ask you, what was I doing down there?
Macphisto: You ran into me in the hallway and asked me to hide you so you wouldn't lose your job, do you remember now?
Bluephisto: *Grimacing in an attempt to remember* No...not at all. *She pauses*, was Adam with me?
Macphisto: No darling, it was just you and I.
Bluephisto: Just you and I? Alone? For how long?
Macphisto: *Sighs* For an hour or so.
Bluephisto: *Pauses, trying to find the right words* Macphisto, I really don't remember...What did we do?
Macphisto: *He smiles a little and raises an eyebrow as he contemplates his unused champange glass* We talked. We just talked.
Bluephisto: *Now looking down at Macphisto* We just talked?
Macphisto: Yes...
Bluephisto: *Memories flood back to her of her shoe, throwing her arms around Macphisto, dancing with him, and then him gently pushing her away.* Oh...I remember a little now.*She blushes, embarassed that she made a pass at him last night* I'm so sorry, I had no idea what I was doing...*She laughs a little* Who knew I was such an outrageous flirt?
Macphisto: *Graciously, still looking at his glass* I was flattered.
*There is an awkward silence...Bluephisto cannot believe that when she was at her most vulnerable, and throwing herself at him, Macphisto did not take advantage of her. She knew he wanted her, he had told her as much and come to think of it...since she found him with Bona he had not even looked at another woman.
Macphisto was looking at Bluephisto. She was still focused on the door and he could not tear his eyes away from her newly exposed back. He could see muscles contract under the soft ivory skin as she adjusted her grip on the gun. Now that she was human, she was imperfect. His eyes wandered over her new imperfections, taking them in with delight. She had a mole on her neck now, and some of the waves of her long black hair barbed and escaped from the glossy mane that hung down her back and around her shoulders. Her chest and cheeks were flushed with excitement, and the veins on her arms looked like turqoise streams across a creamy plain. Her dress was rumpled and her shoes hung off of her toes precariously. He took all these imperfections in with his eyes greedily as though they were jewels. She had never been so beautiful to him as she was right now when she was warm and flawed... She turned her blue eyes towards him, startling him.*

Bluephisto: Thank you.
Macphisto: Anytime dearest...
Bluephisto: *The word dearest sparks her memory...she looks at his empty champange glass, and then at him again* Mackie! Are you sober? *In her astonishment, she turns a little too sharply around and slips into the tub. Macphisto quickly helps her right herself. She is soaked. Putting the gun on the side of the tub she brushes her wet hair off of her face and gasps. Macphisto is right beside her, his hand on her back*
Macphisto: Are you alright? You didn't hit your head again did you darling?
Bluephisto: *She looks up at him and for a moment...But she snaps out of it quickly, climbing out of the water, and turning red* Maybe you should put something on Macphisto, we might be in here for a little while.
Macphisto: I was just thinking the same thing...
*Bluephisto turns around while he climbs out of the water and wraps himself in a gold and black robe. She has actually closed her eyes and keeps thinking of Orpheus who decended into Hell to retrive his love, but lost her for looking back...She vows not to repeat his mistake and keeps her eyes shut. She feels a warmth beside her*
Macphisto: *Looking with amusement at her tightly shut eyes* Bluey, dear?
Bluephisto:*Jumping and opening her eyes* Oh, there you were...I was just ummm deep in thought.
Macphisto: Would you like a towel? *He drapes a large red towel over her wet shoulders, and leans against the chaotic dressing table, lighting a cigar* The answer to your question is yes. I am sober.
*BANG BANG BANG!!! The door vibrates with each knock. Bluephisto jumps up and steps in front of Macphisto. The door is broken down, and the dresser in the way is tossed aside like a toy. Adam stands in the doorway, with a black overcoat on.*
Bluephisto: Adam! They sent You ?
Adam:I am your replacement Bluephisto. Hand him over.
Bluephisto: Adam...this is ridiculous, there must be a mistake.
Adam: Bluey, I don't want to do this but it's my job...it's not personal.
Bluephisto: *Raising the gun* You don't have to do this! Adam, just tell them no!
Adam: It's my job, someone has to do it.
*He looks at Macphisto behind Bluephisto* Macphisto, if you don't come foreward I will have to go through her.
Macphisto: *Pushes past Bluey* Dearest, please move...*She forces herself in front of him again* Bluey! Don't do this darling! *She turns around and pushes Macphisto with all her strength into the wall and turns to Adam again*
Bluephisto: *Crying and raising the gun to his chest* Adam...I don't want to do this, I really don't...Please don't make me shoot you! Please go away Adam! GO!
Adam: Sorry Bluey, it's my job.
*He steps towards Macphisto and Bluey pulls the trigger. The bullet buries itself in Adam's chest, pinning him to the wall. He slides down the marble wall, dark red angel's blood spilling down the front of the black coat. He is dead.*
Bluephisto: Oh my God! Adam...*She kneels over Adam's body, crying quietly and covering her mouth with one hand. She drops the gun on the floor and buries her face in both hands, sobbing. Macphisto creeps up behind her and puts his hands on her shoulders. She hears his voice in her ear,*
Macphisto: Dearest, look up.
*Bluephisto looks up...Adam's body is gone and Jesus stands smiling in his place.*
Bluephisto: What happened to Adam, what are you doing here?
Jesus: *In the language of heaven* Adam is fine. He was never here, Bluey, that was an illusion.
Bluephisto: A WHAT!?
Jesus: An illusion. And you are not fired. We never wanted Macphisto dead.
Bluephisto: What? What's going on?
Jesus: This was a test, Bluey.
Bluephisto: A test of What!?
Jesus: *Sighs and smiles at her* Bluey, Bluey, Bluey...You are one of my favorites. You see, I had to show you something...
Bluephisto: And what was that?
Jesus: *Crouching down to her level and taking her hands* Think about it...if you quit your job, fell from heaven, committed murder, sacrified one of your friends, and defied God himself for the sake of one man, wouldn't you call that love? *Bluephisto is stunned* I would, and I do.
Bluephsito: You mean you did all this to make me realize that I...that I...
Jesus: You love Macphisto...you need to stop pushing that away. *He hugs her* Now I have to go, but I think you owe him an explanation...oh and you will stay human until I've decided that you are ready to come back to work, you need time off. *He kisses her cheek and waves at a bewildered Macphito and leaves...the door and the dresser are perfect again*
Macphisto: Bluey...what was that all about?

[This message has been edited by blueeyes (edited 11-07-2001).]

Disclaimer: explicit material included here... this is entirely fiction and is not intended to offend anyone. But I higly recommend having your cigarrettes close by and a good drink or two, plan on having to take a cold shower afterwards... be forewarned.
-------------

Bono: *so stunned by her beauty he can barely speak* What about?
Bona: Bono... Ever since Mackie stabbed me you've been nothing but comfort and support to me. Ever since then you've been the only solid rock I've had to lean on. I've been at my worst and you haven't left my side...
Bono: *smiling a little* Just doing my job...
Bona: *looking up into his ethereally beautiful face, she notices that his skin has lost all of its previous glow.* No, Bono. You weren't just doing your job... Bono, you told me you love me.
Bono: I'm sorry, Bona...
Bona: What reason have you to be sorry?
Bono: You're with Larry...
Bona: *sigh* Not really...
*Bono looks at her questioningly.*
Bona: Since day one, I've done nothing but hurt him... he deserves better than me.
Bono: You broke up with him?
Bona: Yeah...
Bono: Why? He's the father of---
Bona: Of my child, I know...
Bono: You need him, Bona. Why did you end it?
*Bona turns to him and dives into his eyes with her own.*
Bona: Because I love you.
*Bono is silent for a moment, shocked and at the same time not surprised. He cannot tear his eyes from hers and she steps up to him and wraps her arms around him, under his wings beneath his coat. She looks up at his gentle face.*
Bona: Can we finish that dance?
*He looks down at her, and she notices that his skin has regained some of it's heavenly glow and he nods. He pulls her away from the edge of the roof and wraps his arms around her, pulling her close to him and she lay her head against his chest. There is no music, but they dance slowly anyway. She snuggles into him, inhaling his scent and loving the sensation of his soft hair as it brushed against her face. They swayed together and she looked up at his ethereal blue eyes, lost in their intensity and color, and the way his hair framed his face and fell to his shoulders. His face inched closer, closer and finally his mouth was on hers, giving her what had to be the lightest kiss she'd ever felt. It came again harder and she twined her arms around his neck, returning his kiss with as much passion as she could bring out of herself. She felt the burning heat of his skin and he ran his hands through her hair. She pulled his jacket off and it fell to the ground, exposing his wings for the first time, half barren from falling and losing so many feathers. Without the jacket he only wore the vest with a white sleeveless shirt underneath, and for the first time Bona could see the strength in his arms as she felt it envelope her. His tounge sliding over the inside of her mouth, over her teeth and tounge and his breath on her face, her hands running through his hair and her removing his vest, kissing his chest and savouring the feel of his soft chest hair on her face as she unbuttoned his shirt and pulled it gently off. She ran her tounge and mouth over his chest and up to his neck as his breathing became heavier and he reached behind her and unzipped her dress, pulled it off and it fell to the floor. His arms wrapped around her tightly again and their mouths connected yet again, with more passion than either of them knew existed. He took her around the waist and gently leaned her back, laying her down on the pile of feathers from his barren wings. His weight on top of her and his mouth exploring every inch of her body as they both trembled with anticipation and love. Bona could feel his hot, hardened desire digging into her thigh, and Bono explored her with his mouth and hands until Bona thought her lungs would explode and she tugged at his pants, delerious with longing and somehow, they were removed and he pulled her panties off quickly and pressed into her finally, thrusting gently and covering them with his jacket. She wrapped her legs around his waist and he wrapped his wings around her, which were now regaining feathers. Several hours and many rounds later, they lay wrapped in each others arms, covered by his jacket and his wings so expansive that they enveloped the couple entirely. They slept on, with an unspoken understanding that Bono had been saved from his fall. He awoke and stared down at her face, still holding her very tightly and covering them with his wings, and he brushed a hand across her cheek. What would happen to them now?*

*Larry eyes him for a minute, then finally grabs a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and dresses. He walks up to Bona and kisses her genuinely on the lips, and Adam and Larry both head towards the door and Bona looks after them with a worried look. Adam glances back at her and winks, shooing her out onto the balcony with a wave. After they leave, Bona sits on the bed for a few moments, still. She wonders what Adam is going to do...*

*Adam and Larry leave the room, and walk silently for a while. They come to a private place deep in MacPhisto's garden and sit. Larry has picked up a Guinness along the way, and sips at it slowly. After some time, Larry finally speaks.*
Larry: So what'd you want?
Adam: I wanted to ask you how you feel.
Larry: About what?
Adam: About Bona. I mean honestly. I know you love her. But I mean about everything else that's happened.
Larry: Since when?
Adam: Since you've met her.
Larry: She's failed me a lot...
Adam: Yeah, she has...
Larry: Hey, are you trying to break us up?
Adam: No, Larry. I'm only trying to get you to be honest with yourself.
Larry: Ok.
Adam: Since you've first laid eyes on her, she's tried seducing MacPhisto, ignored him and lavished attention on you, tried to seduce you and suceeded, gained your affections, resorted to kissing MacPhisto, becoming human for you, resisting MacPhisto's seduction several times over, you telling her you love her, making love to you for the first time, being seduced by MacPhisto and this time he succeeded, you beating the crap outta him and Mac stabbing her, you dumping her, her being miserable and trying to commit suicide, finding out she's having your baby, you coming back almost dead and trying to kill MacPhisto, finding out the angel that's been watching over her (and who she loves, may I add) is in love with her and is falling out of heaven for her and now having to choose between him and you.
Larry: *exhales* Wow.
Adam: Yeah. Before you say anything, I want you to know that this is without a doubt the hardest decision she's had to face yet.
Larry: I can see why... I mean if she chose him. I haven't been around much...
Adam: But she loves you and she needs you. She meant that when she said it.
Larry: But he's the one that's been there. She said that herself... that he's the one whose shoulder she's been crying on lately.
Adam: That's true... but you're the father of her child.
Larry: But he's an angel. As long as she has him, she doesn't really need me, does she?
Adam: There's only so much an angel can do. He can't be directly involved in the baby's life, he can't totally fulfill the fatherly role like you can. She will never be his only job. She's just the only one he's ever fallen in love with.
*Larry is quiet for a moment, realizing that Adam's right.*
Larry: So what's she doing right now?
Adam: *tuning into Bona and Bono, sensing their frantic and deep lovemaking, and he chooses his words carefully.* She's doing what she has to do...
Larry: So what does that mean?
Adam: Larry, she's saving him.
Larry: From what? Falling?
Adam: Larry, when an angel falls, they fall all the way. Meaning that they become human, and are susceptable to disease, sin, drunkenness, dissillusionment, confusion, love and heartbreak, depression, sex, drunkenness... every human ailiament that we were immune to before. On top of that, when an angel falls they are given the same choice that humans are. You either stay true to God's path and enter Heaven again, or you give in to the weakness and the sin and end up in Hell. Unfortunately, most end up very weak and end up giving in to human nature and the sin that comes with it. Bono is no exception. He's a strong angel, but as a human he'd be very frail. It's a very different experience. He'd have his intelligence and his experience to help him, but his new soul would be too weak. Do you understand what she's saving him from now?
Larry: Yeah... but what does she have to do to save him?
Adam: Larry, the reason Bono's falling is because he's miserable over his love for Bona. He loves her so much, and yet he knows he cannot have her because of you and the baby, and the fact that she's human and he's an angel. He loves her so much that he considers her worth falling out of heaven for. The only way he can stop falling is if he rids himself of his misery.
Larry: *putting two and two together* So she had to tell him that she loves him...
Adam: Yes, but a bit more than that...
Larry: She had to make love to him?
Adam: And it had to be genuine.
*Larry stares off into the gardens, silent and unsure of how to feel about this.*
Adam: You know what?
Larry: What?
Adam: Bono vowed to protect, guard, love and carry your child through everything. He made the same promise for Bona.
Larry: But he's---
Adam: Larry, the last thing he wants is to break you and Bona up. He knows how much she needs you and how much he can't provide for her.
*Larry rises.*
Larry: I want to go back to the room now. There's something I need to say to Bona.
Adam: You're not dropping her, are you?
Larry: *sighs* No. I can't.
Adam: Good. *pauses* Lars?
Larry: Yeah?
Adam: How do you feel now?
Larry: Adam?
Adam: Yeah?
Larry: I love her.
Adam: And?
Larry: I'm gonna marry her.
Adam: You're forgiving her for this?
Larry: Yeah. I am.
Adam: *laughing* Glad to hear it. Though I will warn you, you'll have quite a challenge in the bedroom from now on. Making love to an angel is quite an experience. *grins*
Larry: *laughing back at him* That explains the appeal U2's bass player has on women...
Adam: *blushing* I can't help it... *gets up* C'mon Lars... let's go.
*They walk contentedly back to the bedroom, and Adam stops halfway when he spots a couple lying on the roof of the house, wrapped up in a pair of giant, shimmering wings. Knowing that this is Bona and Bono, he smiles and catches up to Larry, who has spotted this too. Adam pats him on the back.*
Adam: Keep movin' Lars.
*They get back to the bedroom and Larry walks in, hoping to find Bona, but instead he finds her note, and he reads it aloud, sitting on the bed*

Larry: *reading* "Larry:
I cannot think of the words to say to you right now, other than I'm sorry. I'm sorry I've hurt you so many times, and I'm sorry you ever had to deal with me. I'm sorry I'm about to betray you yet again, and I'm sorry that I feel you deserve better than me. I've done nothing but hurt you, and for that I'm sorry you ever came into Bluey's limo that night at all... you didn't deserve any of this and for this, I feel I can't live with myself any longer. I love him, Larry. I love Bono too much to be able to watch him fall and die, too much to deny him this, but I also love you too much to be able to do this and ask you for forgiveness again. That I will spare you. I was a devil for three thousand years and I suppose I'll never be anything better. Please take care of yourself, and from Heaven or Hell or wherever I end up I will be watching you,

All the love I possess,
Bona."

*He finishes, and looks up, wiping a tear from his eye. He shakes his head, and cannot hold back sobs. Adam sits next to him, and rubs his back. Larry calms, takes a deep breath and speaks again.*
Larry: No... I was going to marry her...
Adam: You still can. She wrote this because she thought for sure you'd be upset and leave her...
Larry: Where is she?
Adam: On the roof...
*Larry rushes out onto the balcony and up the stairs to the roof where he finds a sleeping Bona wrapped up in a still nude Bono's arms and wings, him stroking her face with his hand and looking wistfully into her eyes. Larry leans up against one of the walls and stays silent for a moment. Bono looks up finally and sees him. Bono panics and wraps a wing around himself and Bona even more to cover their exposure. Bono stares at Larry apologetically, and Larry waves it off.*
Bono: Larry, I---
Larry: Bono, hush. It's okay. I understand now.
Bono: I never meant to hurt either of you...
*Bona awakens at the sound of Bono's voice and spots Larry leaning against the wall. She cannot meet his gaze and looks away, burying her face into Bono's chest and sobbing.*
Larry: Bona...

Originally posted by blueeyes:
Macphisto: Bluey...what was that all about?
Bluephisto: Hmmm? What?
Macphisto: What in the world just happened?
*Bluephisto stares at him, in his gold and black satin robe, his blue eyes wide and puzzled. He's the only man she could ever imagine being able to pull off looking a little terrified stylishly. Jesus' words repeat in her head...*
Bluephisto: *To herself* Oh my God...I do...
Macphisto: *Putting down his cigar on the table and stepping towards her in concern* Darling, you do..what?
Bluephisto: *She stands there staring at him. Yes, she loves him, but all she can think is He only loves me right now because he can't have me. As soon as I tell him how I feel, it will start all over again, there will always be other Bonas, he could never be satisfied with just me. Forget it. She looks down at the floor, blinking back tears, Macphisto touches her arms with his hands...he has no idea what is wrong. She looks like she's going to cry.*
Macphisto: Dearest...what's wrong? Tell me.
Bluephisto: *Looks up at him with glistening human eyes, and thinks you can never really love me back...there will always be other women. but she can't force these words past her contricting throat. Macphisto, as though he senses what she is thinking, wraps his arms around her and holds her tightly. Satin slides over her skin and she buries her face in the front of his robe.* Nothing's wrong...*He starts to rub her back in a comforting way...but he sighs when his large palm passes over her smooth new skin*...Adam's not really dead, it was all a test.
Macphisto: A test?
Bluephisto: Yes...*sniff*..they wanted to test me.
Macphisto: Did you pass?
Bluephisto: *Laughs* I don't really know...in someways I feel like I haven't even started.
*Bluephisto looks up, Macphisto is looking down at her adoringly. He is caught and he knows it so he just smiles, his light blue eyes crinkle. Bluephisto stands on her tiptoes and moves her mouth towards his...Macphisto closes his eyes and his hands shake a little, and then his feels her lips on his cheek. He opens his eyes, and looks down to find Bluephisto moving out of his arms.*
Macphisto: Bluey...
Bluephisto: *Out of breath* I need to go...I'll see you later..*She nearly walks into the dresser, and then races out of the room. She cannot believe she almost kissed Macphisto! What was she thinking!?
Bluephisto burst into the ballroom where The Fly was drinking in his red suit at the bar by himself. He leaps out of his seat and meets her halfway. He has been thinking long and hard about what Bluephisto said to him last night...and he has decided that he cannot let her get away*

The Fly: Bluey, baby...c'mere. *He pulls his shades off to reveal very blue, slightly tired looking eyes*
Bluephisto: Fly, we have to talk.
The Fly: Yeah...we do honey. *He goes down on one knee and pulls the ring out of his pocket. Bluephisto gasps* Bluey, this is crazy but, hey...I'm crazy so it all works out. I told you I'd ask you later and I think I'd be a fool to wait any more. I've been thinking about it, and I want you to marry me baby, I'm serious. Please marry me...
*Bluephisto stands in silence, looking down at the Fly and Macphisto walks in....*

*Bona awakens at the sound of Bono's voice and spots Larry leaning against the wall. She cannot meet his gaze and looks away, burying her face into Bono's chest and sobbing.*
Larry: Bona...

Larry: Bona, please...
*The angel and Bona rise and dress quickly and Larry walks slowly up to Bona.*
Larry: I'm not angry. I want you to know that I understand, and that I'm not leaving you.
Bona: You're not leaving?
Larry: Not for the world.
Bona: Larry, I don't deserve you---
Larry: *putting a finger to her lips* Shhhhhh... I'll decide that.
Bona: Larry... I...
Larry: No, Bona. Listen to me very carefully. I love you. Honestly. I love you more than I can tell you and I meant it when I said that I'd never let anyone hurt you. I wouldn't be able to stand you being miserable for any reason. And if that means that you need time with Bono to sort things out, then I'll give you as much time as you need.
*She looks back at Bono, who only stands with his hands in his pockets. He shruggs his shoulders.*
Bono: This is your decision, Bona. You decide what you want.
*Bona looks down at her belly and places her hands gently on it, then reaches over and takes Larry's hand, placing it on her belly and she looks him in the eye and speaks softly.*
Bona: Larry... I love you. I love you and I need you, more now than I ever have. But this has to be resolved before you and I can go any further. I couldn't go on happily knowing that there are things between Bono and I that haven't been laid out on the table.
Larry: If that's what you need to do...
Bona: I think it is.
Larry: Ok. *He leans forward and kisses her lips gently, and she wraps her arms around his shoulders and squeezes him gently.*
Bona: This isn't goodbye.
*Larry reaches into his pocket and pulls out a tiny black box, and hands it to her. Inside there's a ring. She stares at it with a puzzled but amazed look.*
Larry: I want to marry you. But not until you're ready...
*Bona is speechless. After everything she's done to him, all the hurt and turmoil he wants to marry her? She says nothing, but by the tears of pain that have now turned to tears of joy streaming down her face, he knows her answer is a yes. He squeezes her hand and starts to back away from her.*
Bona: I love you Larry.
Larry: I'll be waiting. You and only you.
*Larry starts to turn away from her but he cannot fight the tears anymore. She takes him by the shoulder and turns him around. She wipes a tear from his face, then wipes tears from her own and takes his face in her hands. She kisses him gently more than once.*
Bona: I won't be long.
Larry: I'll wait for you. No one else...
Bona: Please wait...
*Larry pulls away and Adam wraps an arm around his shoulder, they walk away. Bona puts the ring in her pocket and turns back to Bono, almost running up to him and throwing her arms around him, not sure whether to cry or laugh.*

*Adam and Larry make their way to the front of the house when Larry stops suddenly, remembering the accident.*
Larry: Fuck, my bike!
Adam: Go outside Larry. I took care of it.
*Larry walks outside and sees his Harley, in exactly the same condition it was in before the accident. He looks back at Adam in amazement.*
Larry: Adam? You did this?
Adam: Yes. *smiles* I figured you might appreciate it.
Larry: Wow... Yeah. Thanks Adam.
Adam: Where will you go now?
Larry: *sighs* Home. I'm going home and I'm going to wait for her to come home.
Adam: Good deal.
Larry: *handing Adam a slip of paper* Here's my cell... Please keep me informed about her.
Adam: I will.
*Larry climbs on the bike*
Adam: Oh, hey Larry!
Larry: Yeah?
Adam: She won't be long. I promise you that.
Larry: *gazing up at the roof where he stood with Bona minutes earlier* I hope not.
Adam: Believe me, she won't be long.
*Larry drives off away from the house, down the road. Adam heads back up to the roof.*

Originally posted by blueeyes:
*Bluephisto stands in silence, looking down at the Fly, and Macphisto walks in....*
Bluephisto: *Breathless* Fly!...I don't know what to say!
*Macphisto watches without breathing from the doorway. She can't accept, she wouldn't... He stares without jealousy, but with the intense interest of a man watching a surgeon decide whether or not to amputate his limb*
The Fly: *He sees Macphisto in the doorway and his desperation flares* Say YES! Just say yes and I will marry you tommorow if you want...Or now, right now! We can do whatever you like and I don't care how we do it I just want you to be my wife...Just you and me.
*Suddenly it all became clear to her...if she married The Fly she would never have to risk being hurt by Macphisto ever again...the choice would just be gone, out of her hands. He could never reject her again...A new feeling floods over her, human fear. There would always be another Bona, another "last time". Life with Macphisto would only be filled with pain and rejection again and again...She glances down at the nervous man looking up at her with electric blue eyes, just waiting for one word to slip a ring onto her finger.*
Bluephisto: Yes.
*Macphisto stumbles back in surprise, catching the railing of the staircase. Bluephisto is swooped up by a jubuillant Fly and he swings her around the room, then puts her down and slides a large gold ring on her ring finger.*.
The Fly: I knew if I kept asking you would say yes! It's a little too big on your finger right now, but I can have it redone if you want...Hell! I'll do anything you want right now! Anything! *He kisses her deeply, almost knocking her over with his enthusiasm, his hands sliding up her back. He stops and looks at her* Baby...What happened to your wings?
Bluephisto: *Faintly* It's a long story, let's just say that I am on vacation...
The Fly: *Resuming his manic happiness* Honey...I will take you however I can get you! Wings, no wings...I could care less baby. *Jumping up and down*Either way, you are going to be my wife! And you said I wasn't the marrying kind...See? I'll do anything to win an argument, *He takes her in his arms and kisses her again* even marry the woman of my dreams...*Bluephisto looks a little into the distance, The Fly regains her attention by caressing her face and saying exactly what she wants to hear more than anything...* And you know, honey, that I would never ever hurt you or lie to you. Never. *Bluephisto smiles and kisses The Fly softly, running her fingers through his wavy black hair*
Bluephisto: I know...*He starts to kiss her again when he sees Macphiso still standing in the doorway, unable to move away but with his back turned to them, leaning against a dark red wall. The last thing the Fly needed was for his new bride to be to run into Macphisto. The Fly kisses her on the forehead and starts to walk her towards the doors on the opposite side of the room...*
The Fly: Baby, doll, why don't you go pour us a bath and I'll be right there?
Bluephisto: *Smiling* Of course...
*She leaves, never having any idea that Macphisto stood behind them the whole time.
The Fly turns around slowly, expecting Macphisto to be gone. He is still standing there, with his back to the Fly, almost obscured by the shadow that envelops him. Intoxicated by Bluey's acceptance of his impulsive proposal, The Fly snatches a bottle of scotch from behind the bar and tries to sneak out without confronting Macphisto. He is almost out the door when a voice whispered in his ear chills him to the bone. Macphisto is now just behind him, and The Fly knows better than to resist the crushing grip on the back of his neck that prevents him from turning around.*

Macphisto: *With deadly measured calm* If you ever hurt her, even for a second, even as a mistake...If you make her cry even once, or bruise her feelings...If you neglect her or betray her, even with your most personal thoughts I will know, and I will make your life a living Hell. She is too good for both of us.
*The Fly makes no reply and feels himself picked up and put outside the door. The wind from the slam of the wooden block, blows black hair across his face. The Fly shudders, straightens his coat and walks off to find his fiance*.

*Bluephiso runs to through her room to the luxurious red marble bath and releases a torrent of hot water from the tap with a turn of her wrist. The Fly's gold ring hung off of her finger and slipped into the tub, rolling around the drain.*
Bluephisto: Oh damn it. *She plunges her fingers in, grabbing the ring at the last minute despite the scalding water. The Fly walks in, smiling widely. She shoves the hot ring on her finger again and looks up at him from the end of the tub.*
The Fly: *Starts humming "Here comes the Bride" as he walks in, laughing, doing the wedding march and miming a bouquet in his hands. He tosses the imaginary flowers behind him and then lunges for Bluephisto, wrapping her in a desperate, almost crushing hug*
Bluephisto: *Breathless* Owwww, Fly...let go...can't breathe.
The Fly: *Relaxing his arms a little* There you go baby! *He covers her neck in kisses* You're really going to marry me?
Bluephisto: Yes. I really am.
The Fly: Really?
Bluephisto: Well, I said yes didn't I?
The Fly: *Laughs and runs his hands through her hair* I'm sorry honey, it just seems too good to be true, I've never been this happy, ever. Not even when Elvis and I took that jet to Italy and ran into these...ahhh never mind baby. *Laughs and slides a strap of her dress off of her shoulder, kissing it. She sighs and closes her eyes, his hair tracing her back tickles a little. Thank God he proposed when he did, this takes care of so much....*.
The Fly: When do you want to marry me?
Bluephisto: *Still with her eyes closed* Anytime...soon.
The Fly: *Taking her face in his hands* Now?
Bluephisto: Sure. *The Fly kisses her passionately, his lips digging into hers. His wife's lips...He liked the sound of that. He would take her away from here and she would forget all about Macphisto, hopefully he would never have to hear that name again. He pulled away from her and began to slide the second strap off of her shoulder when a thought hit him and he stopped*
Bluephisto: What's wrong?
The Fly: *Grinning like a maniac* Nothing baby! Oh lord, nothing! I just thought that since you're human now, you could probably have a little champange to celebrate! Want some? Okay...stay there, Oh lord don't move a muscle, look at you baby! Alright, I'll be right back with some champange for you...*He kisses her three times quickly, moans in satisfation and leaves the room. He is so happy that he is actually dancing in the hallway. Adam appears from around the corner and The Fly tackles him and kisses him on the cheek* SHE SAID YES!!!!!
Adam: Who said yes?
The Fly: Bluey!!!! She said yes!!!! Can you believe it? Me! A married man! Wooooooooo!!! *The Fly sprints down the hall and bursts into the ballroom, singing:*And then I saw her face, now I'm a believer!!!

Adam: *Sighing and rubbing his head* It's a record day around here...*He focuses on Macphisto...who is down in the wine cellar. Adam made his way to the stairwell and opened the door. The wine cellar was as quiet as if it had been empty. Adam descended the stairs...* Maaaac? Macphisto? *A glimmer caught his eyes and he turned. Macphisto was sitting on the concrete floor with his back against a dirty wall, surrounded by empty and open wine bottles. His eyes were dull and downcast, and one of his arms was wrapped around himself protectively, the other hand held his fifth bottle of red wine in as many minutes, a small step in his plan to drink himself to death. He just looked at the floor, not even responding to Adam's presence.* Mac? *Adam moved closer, waiting for Macphisto to lash out, or shove him or yell...but he just sat there moving only to finish the fifth bottle and reach for the sixth. Adam sat beside him and cautiously put his arm around the drowning man, who for all Adam knew, was not even aware of his presence until Adam tried to take the wine bottle from him.*
Adam:*Softly* Mac...put it down, don't do this to yourself...come on, let me have this now. *Macphisto didn't fight Adam, he just wouldn't let go. Adam let him have the wine and regarded him with great pity...The demon was in mourning.* Mac, I heard about it, from The Fly. She really said yes? How did you find out? *Nothing* I'm very sorry...I was shocked myself, I can't imagine how you feel...how do you fee? *Nothing*. Macphisto, please say something, I'm worried about you. Come on, talk to me now, you'll feel better if you do... *Macphisto blinked and paused in his mechanical drinking for a moment as if he wanted to say something...His forehead creases and his eyes water up. He brings his free hand up to his face and holds it over his eyes, rubbing his temples, but then he shakes his head almost imperceptibly, drops his arm around himself again and starts to down the bottle, finishing it in one long drink.*
Adam: Mac...Mac..don't. *Macphisto opens his seventh bottle and Adam tightens his arm around the devestated devil, usually so glib and witty...*. Okay, I'll stay with you, it will be alright....somehow.
*Macphisto sighed deeply and finished the seventh bottle in one long gulp...reaching for the eigth.*

[This message has been edited by blueeyes (edited 11-09-2001).]

*Larry pulls away and Adam wraps an arm around his shoulder, they walk away. Bona puts the ring in her pocket and turns back to Bono, almost running up to him and throwing her arms around him, not sure whether to cry or laugh.*

*Bono holds her closely, neither of them saying a word for several moments. He can sense her mixed feelings, and she's buried her face into his shoulder. She's numb more than anything, and Bono senses this. This unbelievable situation, Larry giving her the freedom to explore and resolve things with him, then promising to marry her... It was unlike anything he'd ever seen happen. She squeezed him and he kissed her temple gently.*
Bono: Thank you.
Bona: For what?
Bono: Thank you for saving me.
Bona: I couldn't watch you die...
Bono: I know. *kiss* Do you regret going that far?
Bona: No. I did it because I love you. *remembering his singing earlier* I didn't know you sang...
Bono: *chuckles* It comes with the territory... You know, Frank Sinatra was partially my doing.
Bona: Really? *Bono nods* Wow. *She rests her head back on Bono's shoulder.*
Bono: *singing* Fly me to the moon, let me play among the stars... Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars... In other words hold my hand... in other words, baby kiss me...
*In a corny Lucille Ball fashion, he leans down and kisses her, and she laughs.*
Bono: *Still singing* Fill my heart with song and let me sing forever more... You are all I long for, all I worship and adore...
*They dance as he sings to her, and Bona strokes the feathers of his wings. He lets out a sigh of gratification.*
Bona: Okay, so Sinatra was your idea... but I've got a better one.
Bono: Yeah?
Bona: Remember Johannes Chrysostamus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart? Better known as Wolfang Amadeus Mozart?
Bono: *laughing* Of course!
Bona: I was responsible for him.
Bono: But... Oh. You were a devil then.
Bona: Yup. I was the one who corrupted him.
Bono: But I was the one who inspired his musical ideas. *grinning* So one up on ye there.
*Bona pouts up at him.*
Bona: But you're an angel! You have advantage anyway...
Bono: So?
Bona: So that's not really fair...
Bono: *thinks a minute* Advantage, huh?
Bona: Yeah.
Bono: You wanna see advantage?
*Scoops her up in his arms and carries her off back into the house, down to MacPhisto's pool. He puts her down and backs away from her, removing his vest and shirt as he does so. His wings flutter a bit and Bona is absolutely shocked by his behavior.*
Bona: Bono!?! Are you trying to seduce me?
Bono: *smiling seductively* Maybe... *pauses, then sheepishly* Is it working?
Bona: *laughing* Maybe...
*He jumps into the pool and after a moment, throws his soaking wet pants and up onto the ledge. Bona walks up to the edge of the pool and realizes that he's naked. He wraps his hands around her ankles and plants a kiss on her feet.*
Bono: Come in... The water is almost as beautiful as you are.
Bona: *laughs* Ok, you're gonna have to work on your pickup lines.
*He grabs the bottom hem of her dress and pulls at it. She aids him by pushing the straps off her shoulders, and he gives her dress a tug again. It falls to the floor, and she jumps into the pool and turns her back to him, teasing him as she removes her bra and panties.*
Bono: What are you doing? *he steps up to her and wraps his arms around her from behind.*
Bona: Returning the favor.
*She wiggles out of his arms and swims off. He watches her as she swims, and he swims after her. She finally gets to the wall and sees that Bono is approaching her quickly. She swims off in another direction and they chase each other around the pool for a bit, laughing and splashing each other. Bono dunks her once, and she jumps on his back and pushes him under for revenge. She swims off again and comes to the wall, and Bono has her cornered. He comes up from under the water, his hair soaking wet and she watches the water run off his body, dripping off his wings and he wraps his arms around her again and before either of them had a chance to think, his mouth was on hers again. He presses his body against hers tightly and plants kisses on her neck, she runs a hand down his wings and then suddenly she stops him.*
Bona: Bono, wait.
Bono: *genuinely* What's wrong?
Bona: Bono... I don't know... You're my angel and I love you... but I don't want it to revolve around sex... You're higher than that...
Bono: Bona, I wouldn't do this if I didn't love you. Angels don't have the ability to do everything I've done with you so far unless it's out of genuine love. *she opens her mouth to say something, but he shushes her with a finger to her lips* On both sides of the relationship.
Bona: Bono... I'm human. I'm going to make mistakes and I'm going to hurt you. Do you see why I can't give you forever?
Bono: But I can promise forever, Bona. You're mortal now, that's true, but...
Bona: But what?
Bono: But I can offer you immortality again. I can make you an angel... and we would work together.
Bona: Both of us tempters? *sarcastically* Yeah, that wouldn't strain the relationship...
Bono: I'm not really a tempter. This is just a temporary installment. In my permanent position, I'm one of Adam's partners.
*Bona looks up at him, amazed.
Bono: I'm an archangel. I'm a guide, the very face of reason and logic itself. Enlightenment, stability, inspiration, that's what I do. Do you see what I can offer you?
Bona: Yes, but...
Bono: Then you will be able to promise forever.
*Bona's eyes tear up at the thought of spending forever with Bono, the sheer joy that would bring her... and of glimpsing Heaven finally. Then her mind flashes back to Larry, to their baby and the approaching marriage. With Larry she sees ups and downs, highs and lows, stability and a family and love, and she remembers his tearful promise to wait for her, and her tearful promise to come home. No, that was more than a promise... that was a vow. Suddenly Bona felt like she'd painted herself into a corner... now having to choose between her angel and the love of her life? Bono senses her thoughts and kisses her lips softly.*
Bono: It's okay.. you don't have to decide. Don't worry. If you say no, I'll still keep my promise to your child...
*Bona says nothing, only returns his kisses with love and gratitude, and as his embrace tightens around her she contemplates accepting Bono's offer, but makes no decision. She only realizes how much she loves Bono and tries to pour every ounce of that feeling out onto Bono as he made love to her again there in the pool, pressed against the wall. When they'd finished, she rested her head on his shoulder and pictured Larry and how heartbroken he'd be if she never came home like she'd vowed to do. To choose between her angel and the love of her life...*

*Adam stands by the window, looking out at the pool where Bona and Bono are beginning to touch, and he shuts the drapes. Adam was tired, even an angel has limits, and he was beginning to lose his patience with people just tossing their lives away tonight. Bona had Larry, a man who adored her and astonished angels with his forgiveness and love and yet she was in the pool with Bono...and as for Bluey...Adam was starting to wonder about her. It wasn't like her to impulsively accept a proposal from someone like The Fly. There was no doubt in his mind that the Fly loved her...but seeing Macphisto like this made him wish that The Fly had never come to the party.
It had been a truely superhuman effort to coax Macphisto out of the wine cellar...he had to wait until the devil had downed a few more bottles before he was open enough to suggestion to even go upstairs. Adam had never seen anything like it. Macphisto still refused to speak. He seemed like he had been shut off, or shut down...Adam had supported him up the steep stairs to his office and guided him to the large leather chair behind the desk where Macphisto sat with his pale head between his large, thick hands, his unseeing eyes staring out into space*

Adam: Macphisto...are you okay? You need to start talking about this, it's been hours and you haven't said a thing to me. You know that you can trust me, right? *Adam knelt down beside Macphisto's chair and looked up at him through his glasses...he was desperate to relieve Macphisto's pain.*. Listen, Mac...It's not so bad I know that she loves you, she must. I know her very well and this isn't like her, really. Bluey loves you...*For the first time since Adam found him, Macphisto turns his face to look at him. His eyes, usually glittering like the crystal of a champange glass have turned to dull grey concrete...*. I know it hurts right now, I know, but it will get better...*Adam rubs Macphisto's back, trying to comfort him, but he knows that it's like trying to put a band-aid on a fatal blow* Can I bring you anything? Some music? A drink? *Macphisto waves him away and puts his head down on the cool desktop.*...I'll pour you a drink. *Adam pours a large snifter of brandy for Macphisto, trying a different approach* Frankly, Mac...I think she's crazy. I wish she had never met him. *Adam sets the glass down in front of him and Macphisto raises his eyes for a second, but remains collapsed and silent over his desk. Adam, encouraged by Macphisto's response has a bright idea. He opens a drawer of the desk pulling out a black pad of thick paper and a gold pen. He places them carefully in front of Macphisto and smiles a little* Macphisto...if you don't want to talk, maybe you should write her a letter. It might help you...I won't look at what you are writing, I'll just step out and I'll be right back. If you want, I will take it to her for you when you are done...okay? *Macphisto raises his head and shoot Adam an "oh thanks that will solve all my problems" look, and Adam takes the devil's fingers and puts the pen in them.* You write...I'll be right back. *Adam smiles and leaves*
*Macphisto is alone in the office. He sits for a long long time with his head on the desk just thinking about her...She will become another man's wife. She said yes. Not only did she sleep with The Fly, but she said YES!? For the first time since he saw her accept, Macphisto really started to get angry. His fingers tightened around the cold pen and he sat up. His reflection looked back at him from the mirror on the wall...his mouth was a grim line of red in his white skin, and his eyes were tired and bitter.
He began to write, slowly at first but then with fury, pressing the tip of the pen into the black paper as he etched his words into the sheet. He wrote for what must have been an hour but felt like a minute, filling an entire page with his anguish. He reached the bottom of the page and threw the pen down, kicking his chair across the room and pacing like a tiger in a cage. He snatched Adam's brandy off of the table and downed it in one gulp, tossing the empty glass into the cold fireplace. The gold ink on the letter glowed in the lamplight, and then it hit him She would hold this letter, this scrap of paper in her hands, hands that he would never touch again, hands that would wear a wedding ring soon...This letter would be closer to her than he could ever be again. He never thought he could be jealous of a piece of paper, but started to hate it all the same. He scribbled a final line on the bottom and then tore it off of the pad, throwing it into the ashes...Adam opened the door timidly, almost happy to see Macphisto on his feet.*

Adam: Macphisto, you're up! *There is an awkward silence as Macphisto glares at him and lights a cigar* Have you anything you want me to deliver? *Macphisto looks at the crumpled paper on the floor and sighs... What was the use? He might as well just wish her well, she had obviously made her choice. With great sadness, he moves a mirror out of the way to reveal a safe which he unlocks. Adam leans foreward in interest. Macphisto pulls a gold box out. He opens it and sighs.*
Macphisto: Yes, I have something...wait a moment.
*He sets the box down on the desk and scribbles a few lines on the pad of black paper. He thinks for a moment, wipes his brow, and tears it off the pad. Adam watches him fold the paper slowly and carefully holding it as if it were a bird that might fly away. Adam realizes that this is his goodbye to Bluey forever, and turns around to give him some privacy. A moment later, Adam feels a tap on his shoulder. Macphisto hands him a long, thin gold box with the black folded paper on top.*
Macphisto: Just make sure she gets this...*He turns away sharply, leaning against his desk and smoking heavily. Adam leaves for Bluey's room with the box in his hand. As he walks down the hall he can hear music spilling down the hall from the office*
Someday, when I'm awfully low,
and the world is cold,
I will feel a glow just thinking of you
and the way you look
tonight

*When they'd finished, she rested her head on his shoulder and pictured Larry and how heartbroken he'd be if she never came home like she'd vowed to do. To choose between her angel and the love of her life...*

*They both stood still for several moments, Bona with her head on Bono's shoulder, turning everything over. To choose one or the other... How could she possibly make that kind of decision? Larry loved her, had forgiven her completely for her transgressions, absorbed the hurt she'd caused him and waved it off... Larry had given her the freedom to explore and he vowed to wait for her... Here was a man who was in love to a degree that it transcended everything else, nothing else mattered to Larry except her happiness. She was carrying Larry's child, not Bono's. Larry was human. Bono wasn't. With Larry she saw ups and downs, happiness and sadness, easy times and hard times, and the fact that they weren't going to wake up every morning in love. With Larry she saw hardships, trials, disease, anger, sadness... with Larry she saw everything that humans avoid, but these things are precisely what would make them stronger, better people in the end. Through their sufferings would come happiness and relief. Through the hatred and anger would come love. With Bono, on the other hand, she saw a flawless relationship, his undying admiration, a "get into Heaven Free" card, easiness... in short with Bono, she saw a coward's way out. Sure, she'd have secure love for eternity... As she stood there in Bono's arms, all she could see was Larry. All she could feel were Larry's arms, all she could hear was Larry's voice, saying "I'll wait for you..." Bona let go of Bono and swam quickly across the pool, away from him. She almost leaped out, gathered up her dress and put it hastily on.*
Bono: Bona...
Bona: I'm sorry, Bono... I have to go.
*Bono climbs out of the pool and throws his soaking wet pants on and gathers his shirt and vest.*
Bono: Bona... wait.
*Bona turns to him.*
Bono: Bona... Thank you. Thank you for giving me this.
*She walks up to him and kisses him.*
Bona: Bono, I love you. I do... but you understand why I have to go back to Larry?
Bono: Yes. And frankly... *makes a gesture* what else is there for us to do?
Bona: I think you're right.
*There is an awkward silence and the two stare at each other, neither knowing what to think or feel. Bona walks up to him and runs her hands through his hair, staring straight into his eyes and kisses him hard on the lips. He returns it with passion and she pulls away from him.*
Bona: Thank you. And I love you.
*Bono reaches back and pulls a shimmering white feather from one of his wings, kissing it once before handing it to her.*
Bono: Please take this. I love you...
*She starts to walk away, and as she does, Bono repeats his silent vow, speaking to her unborn child in a voice inaudible to anyone else*
Bono: *to the baby* I promise I will protect you and love you, I will guard you and keep you, I will know all your secrets and all your passions, I will be your refuge... and I will do the same for your mother.
*Bono presses his fingers to his lips and holds his hand in the air, in the direction Bona left in, blowing her a small kiss, and whispers one last time, "I love you."*

*Bona walks down the corridor quickly, looking for Adam. She finally spots him heading in her direction with a box in his hand. He gives her a puzzled look when he sees her in her soaking wet dress and with a desperate look on her face.*

Bona: Adam! Where's Larry?
Adam: He went home...
Bona: Home?
Adam: Yeah, but he gave me his cell...
Bona: I need to get back to him. Now...
Adam: Ok, let me deliver this and I'll get you in touch with him.
*She walks with Adam, twirling Bono's feather nervously between her fingers.*
Adam: Glad to hear you finally came to your senses, Bona... I'm very relieved to hear it.

Originally posted by Bonavoix:
Bona: I need to get back to him. Now...
Adam: Ok, let me deliver this and I'll get you in touch with him.

Bona and Adam walk briskly down the corridor, past many mirrors and doors...Adam leans in one of them faster than Bona can see and grabs her a towel which she accepts gratefully.
Bona: Thanks Adam...So what is in the box?
Adam: I don't know...I think it's some sort of wedding gift.
Bona: Where are we delivering it?
Adam: *Sighs deeply* To Bluey.
Bona: *Stops dead in the hallway, her towel drops from her hand* Bluephisto? Am I missing something?
Adam: *Stops and rolls his eyes* Yes... *He takes a deep breath and says the following very fast* Bluephisto is now human, Jesus faked a contract on Macky's life and pretended to fire her and send me to kill him. She got a gun and shot me, apparently. Jesus told her that it was just to show her that she is in love with Mac, but she went and ran into The Fly who proposed and she accepted...now they are off doing I don't know what and Macphisto is a wreck. I found him downstairs trying to drink himself to death. It took me bloody hours to get him to even come upstairs. He wrote this for her and told me to deliver it to her. That's all he's said at all he has shut down completely and won't talk, or stop drinking or even really move . So that's what I'm doing with the box.
*Bona stands with her mouth hanging open*
Bona: My God! Is there anything I can do?
Adam: I don't know...talk to Bluey? I have my hands full with Macphisto.
Bona: Well after I talk to Larry of course...
Adam: Yes, of course...here we are. Oh dear, well how do I do this now? Should I just hand it to her or leave it here? *He sighs again and knocks. Bluey opens the door and smiles at Bona and Adam. Bona hugs her immediately, marvelling at her new color*
Bona: Bluey!!!! What a pretty human you make dear!
Bluephisto: Thank you Bona...I'm getting used to it I suppose. How are you feeling?
Bona: Good, good. I see you have a new piece of jewelery *She points to Bluey's ring*
Bluephisto: Oh yes...I suppose you heard.
Bona: Yes, I have. *Awkward silence* Well, I'm so sorry to run but I must make a phone call.
Adam: Oh yes...*He hands her a slip of paper* There is the number, good luck.
Bona: Thank you! Congrats Bluey...*She almost skips away*
Bluephisto: Come in Adam.
Adam: I can only stay for a minute. *She is a lovely human indeed, Adam smiles* You look well.
Bluephisto: Oh thank you.
Adam: I'm sure you will make a lovely bride.
Bluephisto: Oh...I hope so. It's all happening so fast. The Fly wants to get married right away...I do too of course...Oh he was, we were wondering if you would perform the ceremony?*Adam sees something on Bluephisto's face that he has never seen before...guilt*.
Adam: If that's what you want.
Bluephisto: Of course it is...I want nothing else...*She sits at a desk for a moment, searching for Adam's hastily made invitation. She can't find it and sighs...* Sorry, I have lost the invitations. But it will be small and quick, no big deal really. It's more romantic that way...No party afterwards, we are leaving right after the ceremony. We wouldn't have it here at all but I know that you and Bona and...Larry would be hurt if you weren't there.
Adam: Where is the groom?
Bluephisto: He's out doing...things. I don't really know, I've been so busy.
Adam: You seem tense.
Bluephisto: I'm not. I'm happy. I'm marrying a great guy. I'm just busy and not used to being human and having to eat and sleep and such. I wish he would hurry back.
Adam: *He sets down the box behind him* Well, I should leave you to your preparations then. Right?
Bluephisto: *Her face dropping for a minute* I suppose so...you probably have all sorts of work to do right?
Adam: Right. *He hugs her. For the first time, she feels weaker to him than he is* I'll see you later...
Bluephisto: Right. See you later Adam.
*Adam closes the door softly, but looks through a crack and sees her smile evaporate ands her head drop to the dark desktop. He sighs and returns to Macphisto's office.*
*Bluephisto didn't understand it. She was marrying The Fly...a man she adored, and who loved her very much, but she felt just tired . She didn't want to do anything but lay around and close her eyes. It took all her energy just to act civil towards Bona and Adam, as much as she liked them. Her dress hung on the back of the door. It was uninterrupted silk, long, cream colored, very old, and strapless. She loved the dress, but just hadn't been able to try it on yet. She just couldn't seem to get beyond her desk....I bet I just miss The Fly. I'll feel better when he's back...I'd better try this on in the meantime.. With weary hands she undressed and slipped her wedding dress on, for such a lovely dress it felt rough against her skin...like the world's most expensive hair shirt. She smoothed the wrinkles out with her hand and looked at the mirror above the bed, but made no effort to stand in front of it...there was a knock at the door.*

---------------------------------------------
n.b. - I have plans for this one...stay tuned!

[This message has been edited by blueeyes (edited 11-10-2001).]

Bona: Yes, I have. *Awkward silence* Well, I'm so sorry to run but I must make a phone call.
Adam: Oh yes...*He hands her a slip of paper* There is the number, good luck.
Bona: Thank you! Congrats Bluey...*She almost skips away*

*Bona walks quickly down the hallways, looking for a place to call Larry. She happens upon an old, unused office and steps in, shuts the door and sits behind the desk in the large leather chair. For a few moments, she contemplates the phone.*
Bona: *thinking* What am I going to say to him? "I want to come home now?" "Can you come get me?" "I'm sorry... I love you and I miss you?" I have no idea... but I need to at least hear his voice...
*She hesitantly picks up the phone and dials the number. It rings once... Bona's nerves grow...* Please pick up, Lars... *it rings again, and a voice on the other end of the line takes over*
Larry: Hello?
Bona: Larry?
Larry: Yeah, this is.
Bona: Larry... it's me.
Larry: Bona!?
Bona: *choking up* Yes Larry.
Larry: Bona, are you okay?
Bona: Larry... come get me.
Larry: Where are you?
Bona: I'm still at Mackie's...
Larry: Okay...
Bona: Larry I want to come home.
Larry: Okay. I'll be there when I can get there.
Bona: *trying to speak clearly through tears* Okay.
Larry: Bona?
Bona: Yeah?
Larry: I love you.
Bona: *sob* I love you too.
*Larry hangs the phone up, and Bona sits there with it cradled on her shoulder, like it was Larry himself she was holding, then finally hangs the phone up. When she does, the entire night comes back to her like a flash, hitting her like a ton of bricks. Now Bluey was going to marry the Fly, but Bona sensed something wasn't right with Bluey, and it wasn't just her being human.*

*She sat there for minutes, but to Bona it felt like hours. She could have sworn that by now she'd be out of tears. It seemed like she'd spent most of her time here tonight crying over something. But the tears came again, this time relieved that Larry was so cool about everything. It was total disbelief, disbelief at the fact that she was going to be giving birth to Larry's child in a matter of months, and that this was the beginning of a life that would teach her some hard lessons. She stops short at the sound of a knock at the door, and she opens it, trying her best to compose herself. There stands The Fly.*

The Fly: Hey, are you alright?
Bona: Yeah... the enormity of everything just hit me...
The Fly: Yeah, it's been an incredible night.
Bona: That's an understatement. Hey, congratulations about you and Bluey, by the way. That's great...
The Fly: *blushes and smiles* Thanks. You're comin' to the wedding, right?
Bona: Of course, if Larry gets here in time.
The Fly: Well, I just stopped to make sure you were okay, I was on my way back to Bluey's room and I heard you crying...
Bona: Thanks, Fly. I'm okay.
The Fly: Do you need anything?
Bona: *as she's preparing a glass of brandy* No, I think I'm okay... but do you know where Adam is?
The Fly: I passed him walking down the hall... kinda looked like he was heading to Mac's office.
Bona: Thanks. *She walks out of the room and into the hall, past the Fly, taking her brandy with her.*
The Fly: You're sure you're okay?
Bona: Yes, Fly... thank you.
*She heads toward Mac's office, in search of Adam.*

*Bluephisto unfolded the heavy black paper, curious as to what it was and how it got there. Short lines of elegant gold writing punctuated the dark expanse of page, her hands shook as soon as she realized who this was from.*
Congratulations. Please accept my best wishes. - Macphisto
*Bluephisto shook her head, staring at the page and turned it over, looking for more...but the page was empty of any mark. She set the paper down on her veil and picked up the heavy box again...Her fingernails worked under the lid and she removed it, revealing a dazzling necklace. She gasped...a thick circle of diamonds and sapphires reflected prisms of light over her startled face. She had never seen anything so opulent. Her fingers ran over the faces of the jewels, they were cold and a little dusty.
Suddenly, she started to cry. Her tears splashed down onto the stones and she clasped a hand to her mouth. She was so...dissapointed. She shoved the box into a dresser drawer and slammed it shut.* How dare he!...Not only had he never come to talk to her, to convince her not to marry The Fly but her sent her a CONGRATULATIONS note and a gift!? It was clear to her now...she had just been what she had always been afraid she was to him, just another girl. He was probably already charming another one right now. This was the biggest slap in the face she could have imagined and the more she thought about the necklace and the note the angrier she got...*

Bluephisto: Thank God I am marrying The Fly tommorow, I shudder to think that I almost kissed him in the bathroom that night. I can't wait to get away from here and from HIM. That insensitive, lying bastard!
*She collapsed on the bed and sobbed for hours, berating herself for being so stupid, and for being surprised that he could shut his feelings off so quickly when it was clear he couldn't have what he wanted...She knew now that marrying The Fly was the best thing that she could do...Bluephisto jumped off the bed, and ripped open the dresser drawer. She took the heavy box and threw it into a trash can, necklace and all. She lunged across the bed and grabbed the letter...and she noticed something. She stopped and held it against the light. She wasn't imagining things, there were words imprinted in the paper...obivously from being written on a piece of paper above it. They filled the whole page. She tilted the paper so that shadows filled the indentations...*
Dearest Bluey,
I don't know what I can say...I hardly know what to think. You will have to excuse my inelegant words, as I have spent the better part of the day trying to drink myself to death. You see, I was there. I saw him propose to you twice. You said no once, and you said yes once. How I wish you were a creature of habit and had said no both times.
I know, dearest, that I hurt you. I have done everything I can, everything that my limited, corrupted brain can concieve of to win you back. I haven't even looked at another woman since...I know that you must love me, it's all I can think of.
I have half a mind to deliver this to you myself and to show you what you've done to me. You have left me in purgatory...I don't belong anywhere. I am a devil: I cannot become an angel, I cannot enter heaven. But I love: I cannot stay in Hell. So you tell me...where should I go? Where do I belong now that you have maimed me and left me for dead? I have spent thousands of years devising torments for my prey but no mind in Hell could think of a punishment as cruel as teaching a man to depend on the air he breathes just so you can watch him choke.
I suppose I do not deserve your forgiveness. I do not deserve to be touched by you ever again. But I want you to know that I am incapable of ever feeling for another woman the way I feel about you. Your love is a barbed hook, I cannot remove it.
Go ahead then, marry him. Marry him and live the rest of your days with his ring upon your finger and his name on your lips. I just hope you know that you have ruined me completely.
I would give anything in the world to stop you...I love you more than I ever have, and it drives me mad that you will become another man's wife...a man who has no idea what forever actually means.
I will love you forever...
-Macphisto.
p.s. You will never read this letter.

*Bluephisto reads the letter four times and falls back on the bed, smiling. He loves her. He really loves her. Reality sinks in and her smile dissolves...*
Bluephisto: The Fly...Oh God, what in the world am I going to do? I can't do this to him, he loves me so much. What am I talking about? I'm not going to DO anything...Think rationally Bluephisto...THINK!!! Come to your senses, who are you going to marry? A man who loves you and has never lied to you or cheated on you, or a man who has done almost nothing else? *She sighs heavily and sits on the floor with her head in her hands. Tears fall from her eyes, through her fingers and onto the floor. She looks down at the letter, lying over the veil on the bed and she knows she has to talk to The Fly...*

*Ahem*

Meanwhile....

*Edge and EchoPhisto stand on the same third-floor balcony from which she delivered her evening tirade. The sun is rising in the east.*

Edge: How can I repay you for what you did?

Echo: Well, personally I think a passionate round of lovemaking is in order. (Edge stares at her blankly.) I am JOKING! Geez, you men. All you ever want to do is talk and cuddle, you never want to have sex. (Echo grins at him. He continues to stare, bewildered.) Um, why are you looking at me like that?

Edge: You've never talked like that before.

Echo: Yeah, it's funny what MacPhisto's parties do to people. How are you feeling, by the way?

Edge: Better...You're much different when you're happy.

Echo: People say that.

Edge: You ever think they might say it for a reason?

Echo: What people think of me is typically very low on my priority list. With certain exceptions. (She puts her hand on Edge's shoulder.) You know, the New York Times Review of Books called my memoir the most wretched piece of tripe that ever had the misfortune of being published....But it hurt me more to hear what YOU have to say of me.

Edge: Is that true?

Echo: My only virtue is that of Truth.

Edge: I didn't mean to hurt you.

Echo: No, I understand. I really am an evil bitch. It's just, to hear you say it, in so many words, put to rest a lot of dreams...(She smiles inexplicably) Okay, I admit that I only come to MacPhisto's parties to stand on balconies and talk to the brilliant men who happen to show up... (Edge blushes but grins) ...but why do YOU come?

Edge: Oh, I don't know...the people are interesting to watch...and a lot of my friends are here...

Echo: And yet, hmm...I don't see any people HERE for you to watch...and all your friends are in there needlessly complicating their lives. Hmm...do you know what I think? (She leans forward and adopts a more candid tone) I think you came here because you are looking for someone.

Edge: Oh? Who am I looking for?

Echo: Well, you don't know that, do you? All you know is, there's something missing. You have great friends and a fantastic job and all, but at the end of the day something still doesn't feel right. You know that feeling, when you're working on a jigsaw puzzle...I bet you like to put together jigsaw puzzles.

Edge: (Sheepishly) Yeah...

Echo: I thought so...well you know that feeling, when you're working on a puzzle, and you're down to the last few pieces, and you realize that you've got five pieces and six spaces to fill in? And for the life of you, you can't find that missing piece. You know what color it should be, but you don't see it lying anywhere. And that satisfaction that you should feel for having finished the puzzle is completely lost because that one piece is missing. You know what I'm talking about? I bet THAT is how you feel, maybe not all the time, but sometimes. (She moves even closer) Late at night. In a hotel room in a city three thousand miles from home. (Closer still...) Can you deny any of what I've just said?

Edge: (Long pause) I cannot.

*Echo steps back a bit to see if he'll follow to maintain the distance between them. He doesn't. But she presses on.*

Echo: You came to MacPhisto's party because you're hoping to find someone to fill that empty space. At first it would seem silly; these people all have their OWN voids to fill, and theirs are much more crippling than yours. But the more you think about it, the wiser a choice it becomes. Because you know that things happen unexpectedly...(She steps toward him again and continues in a stage whisper) And at the time when you would least anticipate it, the perfect opportunity falls right in your lap. (She looks down for effect) So why don't you sit down, it'll make my job a lot easier.

*Edge is disarmed by her 180-degree-turn-of-phrase. He laughs out loud. Echo sees a fabulous opportunity to show off the lightheartedness that people seem to take to in her.*

Echo: You know in school I never got in trouble even though I was constantly telling dirty jokes. The teachers didn't have the guts to give me detention when they were laughing hysterically. Okay I got a joke for you: A dad goes into his 12-year-old son's room and says, "Son, it's time we have a talk. You know, if you masturbate too much it makes you go blind." And the kid says, "Um, Dad, I'm over here."

*Edge cracks up. Echo grins with smug satisfaction.*

Echo: I told that one as a warm-up, before my big world history presentation. I have no idea why. (This makes Edge laugh even harder.) The teacher gave me an 'A.' You should have heard the jokes I told in Sex-Ed class. Absolutely unrepeatable. Okay, I'll repeat just this one....

(To be continued...)

*Bluephisto opened every door in the hallway, searching for The Fly. She was shaking and white as her dress...in a way she hoped she would never find him. All the rooms were empty. She turned the corner and reached the office where they had first kissed. Timidly, she cracked the door open a little and listened. She could hear someone breathing.*
Bluephisto: Fly? Are you here? *She glimpsed a head of tousled black hair turn above the fringe of a gold blanket. She found him, he must have fallen asleep trying to finish the wedding arrangements* No..no. Don't turn around please. Just don't look at me, I don't think I could say what I have to say if you looked at me. *Her voice was ragged and thin, as though she might cry at any moment. The silk of her wedding dress rustled as she paced anxiously. It took her a moment to find the courage to continue.*
Bluephisto: Fly....please just let me talk. Don't interrupt, I just want you to listen. *Sigh* I'm glad I found you in here...I think you need to know what you are getting yourself into tommorow. *She wrung her fingers, twisting the ring back and forth* Oh God..how do I say this without hurting you? I guess I can't. You know I adore you, I really do. You're sweet and funny and wonderful. No! No! Don't turn, please, just listen for once! Please...I really care about you, I do. But...
*Bluephisto cleared her throat and her voice wavered a little* I can't help it...I have to be honest with you *After a long pause, she whispered* I still love Macphisto. *She began to cry* I'm so sorry. I wish I could just shut it off but I can't, I really love him and I don't know if I will ever not love him. I almost kissed him the other day in the bathroom, I didn't but I wanted to very much. I feel like a fake and a liar...I'm so sorry! I should have told you sooner but I don't think I really knew it myself until just a little while ago. *She put her head in her hands and sobbed. The figure on the couch didn't move a muscle*. Oh God, I'm awful aren't I? I even think that you were attractive to me at first because... because... you remind me a little of him. This is probably the stupidest thing I've ever done, you love me and you would never hurt me in a million years. But I can't lie to you...I really love him. I probably always will. I won't blame you at all if you want to leave...
I will still marry you if you want...I could never be with Macphisto. I know he says that he is sorry and will never do that to me again but I know that I'm not enough for him...there will always be someone else, some other, newer woman. He's just in it for the challenge. He doesn't love me the same way that I love him, once he has me, he won't want me...and I really really can't go through feeling that again. If he did that to me again, I think it would just kill me. I can't risk it...he would never be happy with just me, and love will always scare him away.
So...*She dries her tears on her wedding dress* I will still marry you...if you want. I wanted to marry you, I think, because then I knew that I could never be hurt by him again. I would be safe. I don't imagine you still want me, but if it would make you happy, I will marry you. But you should know that I will always love another man. If you can live with that...then we will go ahead with the wedding tommorow. *She looks up at The Fly's frozen back* Fly? Fly? *Long silence* I'm so sorry...I'm really so sorry, but it's the truth and you deserve to know. *She runs her fingers through his hair for a second and then runs out, crying, shutting the door behind her. The figure lying on the couch gasps and stirs...Macphisto throws the gold blanket away from him and scrambles off the couch where she mistook him for The Fly, and confessed to him. He heard everything...*
Macphisto: Bluey!
*He wrenches open the door and looks out into the hallway, but she is already gone. He stands there, elated and out of breath with emotion from her confession. He smiles for the first time in days...*
Macphisto: *To himself, stunned* She really loves me...

*Adam exits quickly and shuts the door behind him. Macphisto can hear him talking to Bona: "I've never seen him like this"..."Is he alright?" Idiots. How the Hell should he feel? Bona was talking about how Larry had forgiven her for yet another transgression and was coming to get her.*

*Adam and Bona walk away from Mac's office still talking as they do so, heading off in a random direction.*
Bona: It's just unbelievable. I can't figure out why he forgave me...
Adam: Why question it?
Bona: Adam, I feel like I don't deserve it. I mean at all. I've hurt him more times than I care to admit...
Adam: His love transcends all that. Bona, for the first time you're experiencing love founded in truth, in depth and in spirit, not just on the surface. For the first time you're experiencing love without jealousy...
Bona: *realizing he's right* Wow...
*A breif silence*
Adam: *chuckles* You're speechless.
Bona: Yeah... What's going to happen from here?
Adam: What, with you and Lars?
Bona: Adam, I have to admit, I'm a little scared.
Adam: I don't blame you. You have a very hard road ahead of you.
Bona: For the past 3,000 years I've been watching humans make fools out of themselves via their own transgressions, without knowing what it feels like to experience all that.
Adam: It's a whole different ballgame.
Bona: Yeah it is. Adam, I should probably go find a dry dress. Would you walk with me?
Adam: Absolutely.
*They walk back to Bona's room, and she sorts through her wardrobe, finding a pair of black pants and a black V-neck shirt, cutting low enough to tease. She changes, and Adam sorts through her jewlery and startles to find among her necklaces a gold, celtic style cross on a rather long gold chain. He picks it up and takes it over to her.*
Adam: What's this? A former devil now wearing the sign of God?
Bona: *laughs* Seeing Jesus face to face while I was human changed a lot.
Adam: Apparently.
*He places the necklace around her neck gingerly, and they continue their walk. Through the course of their walk, they've come to a balcony and Adam holds the door open for her to step out. She does, and she enjoys the cool night air, its breeze as it brushes across her face, cooling her skin. They lean against the balcony rail, chatting amiably for some time and Adam is relieved to finally find some peace from the turmoil inside.*
Adam: Finally a calm moment.
Bona: Don't jinx it.
Adam: *laughing* Maybe you're right...
Bona: *sarcastically* Yeah, you never know, Adam... another big strong handsome angel might come sweep me off my feet again.
Adam: *still laughing* What, like me?!
Larry: Or me...
*Bona spins around and sees Larry leaning against the door frame, clad in a pair of jeans and a black sweater, his leather coat hung loosely over the ensemble. Their eyes meet for the first time since he left, and for a moment, the two just stand still, absorbing each other's presence. Bona is rendered again speechless*
Bona: Larry...
Larry: *smiling lightly* Yes, love.
*He approaches her on the balcony, standing next to her and wrapping an arm around her waist. The three are stopped from any further dialouge when they look across the gardens, through the window in an office where the Fly sits working calmly, and Bono standing in a corner as a guard, undetected by the Fly.*
Bona: Adam, what's going on?
Larry: Wait.. have I missed something?
*Adam and Bona look at each other and simultaneously roll their eyes. Adam runs through everything very quickly, and to answer Bona's question, tunes into the three in question.
Adam: *tuning in and thinking* First the Fly: drastically making wedding plans. Nope, not there. Then to MacPhisto: smiling and laughing, rejoicing over something suddenly... Hmm, what's the sudden mood change? Then to Bluey: running down a corridor crying, thinking she just broke up with The Fly... Ahhhhhhhhhh There it is. *Now speaking aloud* Well, to put it in a few words, Bluey finally woke up and explained things to the wrong person...
*Bona and Larry look at each other, stunned. Bona turns back to Adam*
Bona: I'm sorry, Adam... Did you say something about a "calm moment" earlier?
Adam: *laughing* I guess not...
*From the office window, Bono shoots Adam a "Be on your guard" look.*

[This message has been edited by Bonavoix (edited 11-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Bonavoix (edited 11-10-2001).]

*Adam returns to the office and knocks softly on the closed door.*
Adam: Mac?
Macphisto: Did you deliver it?
*Adam enters the room to find darkness. Macphisto has extinguished every single source of light and is lying on the couch.*
Adam: Yes I did. *He can hear Macphisto let out a quiet sigh* A little dark in here don't you think?
Macphisto: I have a headache...*Adam can see only the tip of Macphisto's cigar glowing in the darkness. A bottle clinks against the lip of a glass.* Now, if you will excuse me, I need to be alone.
Adam: Are you sure? Do you want some company?
Macphisto: *Snaps* No Adam. That's what alone means. Without company.
Adam: Okay, if that's what you want...
*There is a knock at the door*
Macphisto: *Weary* Get rid of whoever that is.
Adam: *Opens the door a crack, billows of cigar smoke spill out into the hallway.* Hello? Oh Bona...I'll be out in a minute...*Softer* He doesn't want to talk, to anybody. It's better if I come out...Yes. Just a minute. *Adam closes the door and leans over towards the cigar light* It's Bona, she wants to see you...
Macphisto: *Extinguishing his cigar and lighting another...the match flares in the darkness and reveals his exhausted face for a moment. He looked tired and angry.* Adam...*Sigh* Have you fallen on your head? I. Want. To. Be. Alone....ALONE, Adam. That means you should get the Hell away from me too, understand? Or should I purchase some sort of Heaven-Hell dictionary for you?
Adam: Well I just thought -
Macphisto: Get. OUT.
*Adam exits quickly and shuts the door behind him. Macphisto can hear him talking to Bona: "I've never seen him like this"..."Is he alright?" Idiots. How the Hell should he feel? Bona was talking about how Larry had forgiven her for yet another transgression and was coming to get her. Macphisto tossed the empty brandy bottle across the black room and stared at his cigar as he ruminated:*
Well good for her...Some people can be forgiven and some cannot I suppose. Some of us are just beyond that sort of love. There are some stains that just can't be lifted I guess, and if over 3000 years of corruption hasn't stained me beyond repair well, I don't know what would...Fine, if she wanted to throw her life away with that leather-clad imbecile then maybe they deserve each other. I don't care. In fact, I should thank her for curing me of that insufferable haze of love I was in. I'm back to my old self, my real self...I know how to do this. Damn her. I wish I had never met her. I wish I had never touched her. I don't care...she can do whatever she likes and when The Fly hurts her, well she can break his heart too. *He turned towards the back of the couch, and pulled the heavy gold blanket off of the back of the red sofa over him*Maybe I can just sleep through all of this...How does it go again? Just close my eyes and relax.*He closes his eyes* It's not working. I wonder if she did anything special to make me sleep...
*Macphisto lays on the couch with his back to the world, trying to remember how it was that Bluey taught him to sleep.*

*The Fly knocks on the door to his bride-to-be's room*
Bluephisto: Who is it?
The Fly: It's your husband! *He giggles and the door opens a crack. Her large blue eyes peer out.* Or at least I will be tommorow, right? *He motions to enter the room but she closes the door more*
Bluephisto: I'm wearing the dress, you can't see me in it until tommorow.
The Fly: Awwwwwwww, I bet you're beautiful!
Bluephisto: I haven't even looked yet.
The Fly: I can't see you? Even a little? No! NO! Actually, don't show me, I like the idea of seeing you again tommorow when you come down the aisle baby...By the way, I invited everyone and everything, you just need to show up. *He kisses her head and then steps back, a smile spreading across his jovial face* You know what darlin'? I have a great idea...let's not see each other again until the big day! It will make it, you know, all romantic and stuff...
Bluephisto: You mean you're going?
The Fly: Yeah baby, I'll just crash in an office or something! I have some more calls to make. *Bluephisto reaches a bare arm through the door towards him*
Bluephisto: But why can't you stay with me? I missed you!
The Fly: Oooh, you just can't get enough of me can you? I can't say I blame ya baby! *He kisses her again and walks away, calling over his shoulder:* I'll see you tommorow, I'll be the happy guy at the front of the room...love you! *He is gone to find an office to make some last minute arrangements*.
*Bluephisto closes the door and sighs, leaning against it. She didn't want to be alone all night, not like this. She slides down the door, sitting on the floor in a heap of ivory satin...She really needed him to stay and to distract her from her inexplicable gloom. She sighed and reached up to try on the veil that hung over the bed, when a glimmer caught her eye. With the veil dangling from one hand she turned and saw a long, flat gold box on a table by the door. She could have sworn that she had never seen it before. Her hand closed around it, it was heavy, and a black piece of paper was attached to the top. She sat on the bed, draping the veil across the cover beside her and unfolded the paper...*

*From the balcony where they stand, Bona, Larry, and Adam have a ring side seat to what is going on below them. In an office opposite them, The Fly continues to scrawl plans and phone last minute contacts and invites for the wedding.*
Adam: The poor man, he has no idea...Maybe Bono should talk to him...*Bono looks up at Adam through the window, sighs and nods*.
Bona: I feel so sorry for him...
Adam: You weren't the one sitting in the wine cellar with Mac that day, God...I feel sorry for me.
*To the right, Macphisto is sillouetted in the doorway to his office, even from the balcony they can see a genuine smile spread across his previously miserable face. He shakes his head and talks to himself a little then laughs and sits in a hallway chair with his head in his hands.*
Larry: What is he doing?
Adam: I think he's crying. *Macphisto lifted his head and wiped tears of relief from his face. He smiled again and rushed into a nearby bedroom and shut the door.*
Bona: It's strange to watch him when he has no idea we're here...He is usually so conscious of his behavior.
Larry: I was just thinking the same thing...I've never seen him smile like that, you know, with teeth showing.
*To the left, the light in Bluephisto's room turns on and she sits on the bed crying. After sobbing into her hands for a minute she pulls a suitcase out from under the bed and starts to throw things into it. After throwing every article of clothing she can find into the suitcase, she reaches behind her and undoes her wedding dress...Bona covers Larry's eyes with her hands.*
Larry: *laughs*Hey! I wasn't looking!
Adam: *Coughs*
Larry: Okay, fine.
*Bluephisto has wrapped herself in a long dark red robe and haistily puts her hair up with a long pin. Tears are still streaming down her face*
Bona: *Uncovering Larry's eyes* Shouldn't someone go to her?
Adam: *Pointing to a row of windows along a central hallway where a freshly attired Macphisto now strides towards Bluephisto's room with purpose and confidence* Someone already is...*They all look with wide eyes. Adam whips out a bucket of popcorn from nowhere and sighs...* Popcorn anyone? *Bona and Larry shrug and dig in*
Larry: Oooh, I think Bono is breaking it to The Fly...
Bona: Oh...
*Bono is now rubbing The Fly's back, and talking to him gently...The Fly is sitting with his back to the crowd*
Bona: Turn around FLY!
Larry: Bona!!! This is not a t.v. show..
Adam: Well...*He concenrates on the Fly who swivels around in the chair to face his unknown audience while Bono talks to him and rubs his back*
Bona: *Through a mouth full of popcorn* Thanks Adam.
Larry: You guys! This is insane...These are our friends lives! We shouldn't be leering at them like sick voyers...
Adam and Bona: *Tired of being so serious after the intense party* Shush.
Adam: Have some popcorn Lar, this is what my job is like all the time...

[This message has been edited by blueeyes (edited 11-11-2001).]

*Bono looked at The Fly. Just to look at him in his black leather and shades, sitting with his legs on the desk, he would have assumed he was on the phone arranging for someone else to throw a party for him complete with groupies, celebs and paparazzi...not planning a wedding.*
The Fly: (into the phone) Yeah...I'll need five dozen of those here by noon. Yes, noon today. I know it's short notice but I'll make it worth your while. Yeah, yeah, you too. *He hangs up and crosses the word flowers off of a list* Well, that takes care of that...*He looks at Bono and laughs* Hey...angel.
Bono: yes?
The Fly: You wanna be best man? Oh no, that's Larry. I forgot to ask him. Oh well, I'll just pull him up when he gets here. Sorry, alright baby, you can beee...*He looks down at his list* The flower girl.
Bono: *Laughs* Great. Can't wait.
The Fly: Neither can I...I never thought I'd get married.
Bono: No?
The Fly: Nah. I'm not the marrying kind.
Bono: So what changed your mind?
The Fly: Well, I love her. She just swept me off of my feet...Yeah, she's amazing. And I know she loves me. *There is a long pause during which The Fly becomes absorbed in his list*
Bono: *Looking up at Adam and nodding sadly* Fly...
The Fly: Yes flower girl to the stars?
Bono: *He smiles, he really liked The Fly..this was going to be hard* I think there is something you should know...I don't want to tell you. But I can't not tell you.
The Fly: *He puts the pen down and looks up at Bono* What? What is it?
Bono: *Walks over to The Fly and starts to rub his back pre-emptively* Fly...I don't know how to say this.
The Fly: *Suddenly turning his chair 180 degrees to face the window without really knowing why...* Oh crap. This is going to be bad isn't it? You're doing that back thing.
Bono: *With great difficulty* Fly...I think that Bluey is in love with another man...Macphisto. She meant to tell you earlier tonight but it got all mixed up. She wants you to know...I'm sorry. She says she will still marry you if you want, but she doubts you would want to...*Bono hugs The Fly around his black shiney shoulders, trying to imagine the shock*
The Fly: *Removes his shades and rubs his temples for a second. He sighs.* I know.
Bono: You know?
The Fly: *Replacing his shades* Yeah I know all about it.
Bono: How?
The Fly: She told me in her sleep. We had just...you know. And she was kind of drunk and I was holding her afterwards and she kind of cuddled up to me and said "I love you Mackie". *Up on the balcony, Adam gasps*
Bono: Oh...I'm so sorry Fly, that's terrible.
The Fly: *Leaning back in the chair and running his hands through his hair* Yeah, well. It was. I lay there all night, thinking, and I realized that she loves him. I can't change that, right? And it drives me crazy but he loves her too...I mean really, really loves her. She was passed out from banging her head that one time and he didn't know I was looking but he touched her forehead and just looked at her . I mean, I've known Mac for a long long time. I know him well. But I've never ever seen anyone look at anyone like that...let alone him.
Bono: So why in the world did you propose?
The Fly: *After a long silence* I guess I did it because I'll take what I can get. I know she cares about me, and maybe that's enough for me, you know? So I asked her because I was afraid that if I didn't, then eventually they would get back together and I would never see her, and I would be nothing to her. See...he will never be nothing to her, even if she never sees him again. But me...she could just forget me if she ended up with him. *The Fly wipes a stray tear out from under his shades* I just want to be something to her I guess...
Bono: So...you still want to marry her?
The Fly: Nothing's changed, has it?
Bono: *Flabbergasted* I guess not.
The Fly: Yeah...*regaining his former good humor* So, do you feel like having a two-man bachelor party?

*Up on the balcony, where Adam has been narrating, all three spectators stare at The Fly*
Larry: Whoa.
Bona: I know.
Adam: *Sighs* He knows what he's getting into I suppose...

*Their attention turns to Bluephisto's room again, where she is still crying on her bed alone*

*Bona moves closer to Larry, wrapping her arm under his around his waist and dropping her head on his shoulder. He squeezes her a bit, and the three of them watch the events unfold through the window in Bluey's room. She still lies on her bed in the dark red robe, sobbing. Suddenly, she gets up and opens the door. There stands MacPhisto, leaning suavely against the door frame, a seductive grin on his face. He makes a gesture and says something, and Bluey looks stunned. She appears a bit embarrased by her appearance, and slips into the bathroom to change. MacPhisto moves into the room and spots the suitcase on the bed, full. He examines it a moment without touching it, then moves over to the dresser, fixing his appearance.*
Bona: I wonder what he's gonna do...
Larry: Good question.
Adam: Just watch.
*Bluey emerges from the bathroom in a blue dress and MacPhisto smiles when he sees her, but makes no attempt to touch her. They exchange words and Adam tunes in closely, very interested in what they are saying. Bluey moves and sits on the bed and MacPhisto stands leaning against the dresser. For a moment they stay silent, just watching each other. In the mirror they can see Bluey's reflection, and that she's a little flustered.*
Larry: He's not gonna try and seduce her?
Adam: No, he respects her and loves her too much.
*They talk calmly for a few minutes, and Bluey gets up off the bed. She seems almost mad at him, or at the very least frustrated. Mac suddenly looks downcast and a little worried, or at least confused. He says something else, and Bluey spins around, softening. Mac steps closer to her, slowly, inching his way over to her, almost like he's making sure he won't scare her off. She doesn't move, however, and Mac takes his last step, moving right up to her. He takes her by the arms, gently, and kisses her lips lightly.*
Bona: *gasp* Wow...
Larry: Yeah.
*Bluey wraps her arms hesitantly around his neck and Mac kisses her lightly again. He breaks away, and moves over and shuts the curtains, but not before shooting the three spectators a wink and a smile. Bluey does not notice this, as Mac shuts the curtains.*
Adam: *sigh* Well...
Bona: I guess that's kinda sweet...
*Bono steps out onto the balcony, and comes up behind Bona. He's carrying a pizza and sodas.*
Adam: Aren't you supposed to be with Fly?
Bono: Well yeah, but he kicked me out... wanted to make some "private" plans.
*Bono and Adam laugh, knowing that with two archangels around nothing is ever private.*
Adam: Alright... What's with the pizza?
Bono: Well, I saw your popcorn festival up here and thought I'd contribute...
Larry: *grabbing a piece of pizza* Thanks, I'm starving...
*The four all turn their attention back to the windows, where Fly has hung up the phone and now sits plesantly smoking a cigar and drinking a fresh brandy.*

*Bluephisto watches tears drop onto the dark green velvet of the bedspread, deepening the color where they fall to almost black. She knows she has to leave...she can't possibly stay here now. She takes a deep, shuddering breath...there is a knock at the door.*
Bluephisto: Oh God, it's The Fly. *She gets up off the bed and braces herself against the anger behind the door. She pulls the door open...there stands Macphisto, leaning against the doorframe with a sly, inviting grin on his face*
Bluephisto: *Pulling her robe closed at the top* Mac...what are you doing here?
Macphisto: *Still smiling at her* I just stopped by to talk to you before you become "Mrs. The Fly" *He gestures to the bedroom* Do you mind if I come in for a minute?
*Bluephisto is shocked that Macphisto would just show up like this...He looks smouldering and composed in his gold suit and red shirt. He regards every move of hers knowingly, with a subtle smile, as if there were some private joke between them.*
Bluephisto: Of course, yes...Come in...*She tightens her robe and is suddenly aware that she has been sleepless, and crying for hours.* Just let me go and freshen up a little, I wasn't expecting anyone tonight.
Macphisto: Of course my dear...what ever you want. *He gives her that knowing smile again, and she dissapears into the bathroom. Bluephisto looked tired, and her eyes were red from too many tears. She splashes some water on her face and lets her robe drop to the floor.*Did he know that she and The Fly had for all intents and purposes broken up?
*Back in her room, Macphisto stood regarding a large, messy suitcase lying on the bed, some of Bluephisto's clothes hang out the edges. He was relieved that he came when he did. She was obviously planning to leave for good. Well, he'd see about that. Macphisto moved to the large dresser against the wall and leaned down examining his reflection in the mirror. He looked better than he had in a long time, gone were the shadows under his eyes and the tension lines across his forehead...he felt alive again. He smiled at himself and pushed a stray strand of slick black hair into place.*
Bluephisto:*Emerging from the bathroom* Sorry to keep you waiting...*Macphisto spins around and leans seductively against the dresser. He feels a smile spread across his face when he sees her.*
Macphisto: You look lovely.
*She does, her black hair is still pinned up loosely and the clear blue of her velvet dress makes her eyes a spectacular hue. She sees him smile and she blushes...*
Bluephisto: Thank you.
Macphisto: It's true...*Looking at her closely to observe her reaction* I bet you will make a beautiful bride tommorow. Where is your dress dearest?
Bluephisto: It's away...I put it away for now.
Macphisto: Pity.
Bluephisto: Yes...*Bluephisto sits on the edge of the bed and an awkward silence fills the bedroom. She cannot help but look at him...he seems transformed somehow. Her eyes travel up his shirt, which is unbuttoned a little, to his neck, his chin, his lips, and then his eyes, which are already locked on her. She turns red and gasps a little, he caught her consuming glance. He remembers that look...it's how she looked at him down in the basement when she was drunk.*
Bluephisto: You look..very nice. I was just..I was just admiring your shirt.
Macphisto: Thank you...Oh, Bluey. I never did get to thank you for defending me against Adam the other day. I meant to, but you...you had another engagement.
Bluephisto: Oh yes, yes. You're welcome.
Macphisto: Not many people would put themselves in danger for another person...
Bluephisto: It's my job.
Macphisto: But you had quit at that point.
Bluephisto: I suppose it's true that old habits die hard.
Macphisto: *He pauses, and takes a deep breath* Bluey dear...may I ask you something?
Bluephisto: Yes.
Macphisto: I couldn't help but notice that you had been crying when I came in. Is something wrong?
Bluephisto: Oh you know, the usual pre-wedding jitters.
Macphisto: Cold feet?
Bluephisto: Something like that, yes.
Macphisto: That explains the suitcase.
Bluephisto: No...it's for the honeymoon.
Macphisto: *Gently* Then why is your wedding dress in it? I can see a little of it hanging out. *She looks down at the floor, out of explanations. A tendril of dark hair escapes and brushes her flushed cheek. Macphisto can't keep the secret in any longer...He begins slowly* Bluey, darling, I know why you were crying. I know what you told The Fly tonight.
Bluephisto: *Raising her head, her azure eyes wide under tense eyebrows* How!? He told you?
Macphisto:*Almost whispering* No...You wandered into my office. It was me lying on the couch, not The Fly. *Bluephisto jumps off the bed, her red mouth open in shock. She paces angrily for a moment, not looking at Macphisto. He continues desperately as she backs away*
Bluey, I heard you say everything...I almost turned around, but I didn't want too, I was too elated. Bluey! You love me! Do you have any idea what that meant to me to hear that from you? Even if I wasn't supposed to? I thought you hated me. I thought you loved him and you forgot about me. I have been through tortures that have never been devised in Hell since you left me...
Bluephisto: *She turns to face him suddenly, and snaps at him, her eyes brimming with tears* You seem to have missed the other half of what I said Macphisto! I can't be with you. I can't. You cannot be trusted and as soon as you have me back...*She begins to cry* As soon as I let myself love you, you will just stop caring! Just like you did before, you will always be scared by what you feel for me...*Macphisto's face drops and Bluephisto turns away from him* So you tell me, what makes you so sure that you won't just run to another woman, another Bona again?
Macphisto: *His voice soft and sincere* Because I'm not scared anymore, Bluey.
*Bluephisto turns around, and looks at Macphisto still leaning against the dresser. She can tell that he is not lying. Slowly, Macphisto rises from the dresser and moves towards her...one step at a time, his eyes never leaving hers. She can barely breathe, but she does not move away. He pauses like a man about to jump off of a cliff and takes his final step towards her. He glides one hand and then the other over her smooth arms and bends his lips towards hers*
Macphisto: *Murmuring* This is my first real kiss...
*With almost infinite softness, his lips touch hers. All the intensity that he feared before runs like a river through his body and his heart speeds as he feels her kiss him back. Their lips part for a moment, and Bluephisto timidly wraps her arms around Macphisto's neck pulling him back to her. He kisses her again with the same gentleness, his arms wrapping hesitantly around her at last. He looks down at her closed eyes and ivory skin and a movement catches his eye...three figures watch smiling from one of the balconies. He grins, winks, and pulls the heavy drapes shut, this was a private show.
He turns back to Bluephisto, her bright eyes just opening from his kiss. She feels his hand on her waist and looks up. He looks down at her, ice blue eyes melting, and smiles...this was the man she fell in love with. Bluephisto rose up on her tiptoes and kissed him again, sliding her arms under his gold coat, relishing the heat of his body. Her hands, so close to his skin, send shivers up his spine. Macphisto ran his hands through her hair, removing the pin and letting it tumble down her back. Their lips met again and again, exchanging what could not be said... forgiveness, relief, joy, love. They stood kissing each other for a long time and then she led him towards the bed, sliding his coat off of his shoulders and unbuttoning his red shirt. He lowered her on to the bed with bare arms, pushing the suitcase away... His arm came back to her and he pulled her close, sighing with relief. Everytime he touched her, it felt like a miracle. Making love to her was unlike anything he had ever felt, the line between love and sex dissapeared.

I love you
I love you too
Hours later, Macphisto and Bluephisto slept under the heavy green covers, their arms wrapped around each other like vines. Her head rested against his warm bare chest and his face nestled against the top of her head. In such a contented sleep, they looked like two angels in an inbreakable embrace.

Adam: *knowing about the exchange between Bluey and MacPhisto* Well.. I suppose I should go tend to The Fly...
Bona: What do you suppose they'll do? Do you think she's still going to marry him?
Adam: We'll see...
Bona: Yeah, I should go get my clothes so Larry and I can get outta here.
Larry: That might be a good idea. Let's go.
Bona: Thanks for the pizza, Bono.
*For the first time since she left the pool, Bono and Bona make eye contact. There is relief and a hint of sadness in his eyes, but an overall air of happiness surrounds him.*
Bono: My pleasure. *he reaches over, takes her hand and kisses it. She smiles at him, pulls him to her and kisses his cheek.*
Bona: Thanks for everything Adam...
Adam: *laughing* Hey, it's what I love doing...
*Bona lets go of Larry and moves over to Adam, throws her arms around him in a grateful and loving hug. She plants a kiss on his cheek, and he grins at her.*
Bona: *seeing his grin* No wonder you're an angel.
Adam: *laughs even louder* You're hillarious. Hey, Larry... come see me before you leave, there's something I wanna say.
Larry: Yeah sure.
*Larry and Bona leave the two archangels standing on the balcony and head back to Bona's room. They walk in and shut the door, and Larry locks it behind them. Bona pulls out a suitcase and starts filling it with the clothes that were in the closet. Larry only watches her, leaning against the dresser with his arms crossed. She moves over to the dresser to get some of her jewlery and stands right next to Larry. He takes an arm and wraps it around her waist, pulling her toward him. She looks up at him and catches a look in his eyes like nothing she's ever seen. He leans down, and his lips come down onto hers with a new sense of passion and her arms wrap around his neck. Their embrace tightens and after a few moments he loosens and pulls back, looking at her.*
Larry: I'm glad you're coming home.
Bona: So am I. *kiss* Larry?
Larry: Hmm? *kiss*
Bona: I'm sorry about everything... I mean this past week has been horrendous---
Larry: Shhh... It's okay...
Bona: I've put you through hell this week.
Larry: Yeah, you have.
Bona: But you know what amazes me?
Larry: What's that?
Bona: The fact that you forgave me yet again. The fact that you're standing here in front of me, that I'm going to wake up tomorrow morning with you next to me even after all I've put you through---
Larry: *silencing her with a finger to her mouth* I love you and I know where your heart is. That's all.
Bona: I love you too, Larry.
*She wraps her arms around him again and kisses him. He pulls her sweater off and she removes his shirt. They both look at each other, and then eye the bed. He scoops her up and she laughs as he carries her over to the bed and lays her down. He crawls over her and plants kisses down her neck and chest... Afterward, they lie out of breath in each other's arms and Bona finally gets up.*
Bona: Well, I'm gonna need a shower now...
Larry: *smirking mischeviously* Are ye sure you can handle the shower by yourself? Because to be honest it's a bit difficult and maybe I could help ye out a bit...
*Bona throws an ambiguous smile over her shoulder as she enters the bathroom. Larry gets up and follows her.*

*Right after Bona and Larry left the balcony, Bono and Adam stood there silently for a moment, enjoying the peace.*
Adam: So you told Bona you are an archangel?
Bono: Yeah I did... I kinda figured she'd appreciate knowing who she was making love to...
Adam: Yeah I suppose. I'm surprised she didn't make a bigger deal out of it...
Bono: She was too absorbed in Larry.
Adam: That's true.
Bono: Did he ever officially propose to her?
Adam: No. That's what I've gotta talk to him about... I need to get to the Fly.
Bono: Right on. Should I go check on Bona and Larry?
Adam: *smirking over his shoulder* Bono, it's best that you leave them alone for a while.
Bono: Right... I'll just try and clean up a bit here.
Adam: Sounds fine to me.
*He exits the balcony and makes his way over to the office where the Fly sits.*

Echo: ...And the guy says, "Oh, everyone's fine! It's just that I quit drinking!"

*Edge laughs. Echo smiles, but her knees start to buckle. Edge, without thinking, reaches out to catch her.*

Edge: Are you alright?

Echo: I'm a little tired.

Edge: How long has it been since you slept?

Echo: Oh, it's been...(looks at wrist) I, uh...I'm having a little trouble reading my watch...

Edge: You're not wearing a watch.

Echo: I think I need a nap.

Edge: (turns to look over the balcony) Yes, well, I'll let you go find a place to sleep.

Echo: Oh no you don't! I'm not done talking to you.

*She laughs weakly and takes his hand. They walk through the ballroom and down the hall, knocking on doors as they go along. Larry and Adam pass.*

Echo: (Sleepily) Adam, my man! Hey I still owe you that game of Space Invaders, don't I?

Adam: Later, huh? (He pats Larry on the back and smiles) I've go to make sure this guy stays safe. (Larry smiles weakly as well , his lids heavy, and they continue on their way.)

Edge: I can't tell if Larry is exhausted from heartbreak or ecstasy.

Echo: Can anyone tell the difference?

*They find an empty room. Echo flops down across the bed. For hours she's run comfortably on empty, but the moment her body becomes horizontal she remembers what good sleep feels like. She pats the bedspread next to where her body lays.*

Echo: (Drowsy) Come sit and talk with me some more.

Edge: Are you trying to seduce me?

Echo: Oh, Edge, even if I did seduce you I couldn't stay awake long enough to reap the rewards.

*Edge feels safe enough to sit at her side.*

Echo: I hope this bed doesn't belong to anyone, 'cause I ain't gettin' up now.

Edge: It seems no one ever really sleeps in this house.

Echo: Who wants to sleep? This place is so...*yawn* ...exciting.

Echo's breathing grows deeper. Her arms hang limp at her sides. Edge is certain she's asleep. Her face softens. The worry lines between her eyebrows are gone. Edge moves to brush a strand of hair back from her face, when she speaks.*

Echo: Hey, Edge. Come here, I want to tell you a secret.

*Edge leans toward her.*

Echo: Come closer.

*He bends down until until he's nearly lying down alongside her.*

Echo: Closer...

*When she feels Edge's breath on her face, she smiles and whispers.*

Echo: I love you.

Edge: (frowns with disappointment) That's not a secret.

Echo: Admittedly not. But now that you're lying down here you don't want to get up either, do you?

Originally posted by Bonavoix:

Adam: ... I need to get to the Fly.
*He exits the balcony and makes his way over to the office where the Fly sits.*
*Adam walks down the red hallways, turning what he saw over and over in his mind...What in the world was he going to tell The Fly? Adam knocks on the door and The Fly pulls it open, smiling and yawning*
The Fly: Heey, Adam. *He slaps Adam on the back* How ya doin?
Adam: I'm good. You look tired.
The Fly: Yeah...Damn! Who knew the whole wedding deal was such a bunch of work? I guess that's why most people don't try to plan one in a night, huh? Wanna walk with me?
Adam: Where are we going?
The Fly: I'm gonna go and show Bluey a few things I've done...she should be up by now right?
Adam: Fly...Maybe that's not such a great idea.
The Fly: Oh yeah. The whole "can't see the dress" thing right?
Adam: *reluctantly* Well...it's a little more than that.
The Fly: *Slows and looks at Adam* What do ya mean by that? Is everything okay?
Adam: Fly. Let's go sit down and talk somewhere.
The Fly: I have to sit down for this?
Adam: I think so.
The Fly: I don't like the look on your face.
Adam: *Opening a door to a sitting room* Here, have a seat.
The Fly: *Sitting on a table, uneasy* Okay...shoot.
Adam: *Looks through the window at the guests already beginning to arrive for the wedding* Fly... I really don't want to be the bearer of bad news here.
The Fly: *Flippantly* Then don't!
Adam: But, I don't want to see you more hurt than you have to be.
The Fly: Oh shit. I have to be hurt do I? *He lights a cigarette and stands up, pacing back and forth nervously*
Adam: *Looking at the fretting rock star with sympathetic eyes*Do you want me to break it to you gently or just...give it to you?
The Fly: *Tapping his cigarette* Just tell me...quick and painless.
Adam: Okay. Fly...Bluey slept with Macphisto.
*The Fly laughs.*
Adam: I'm serious Fly.
*The Fly looks at Adam and his laughter stops.*
The Fly: You're serious...
Adam: I'm sorry. You needed to know before you just walked in there.
The Fly: They are STILL sleeping together!?
Adam: They haven't come out of her room yet, no.
*In marked contrast to Macphisto's reaction to Bluey's engagement, The Fly has an immediate emotional outburst.*
The Fly: That BASTARD! That fucking asshole!
Adam: I thought you knew that she still had feelings for him.
The Fly: *Horrified* Well I knew she had FEELINGS but...lingering feelings are one thing, having sex with someone else is another!*He starts to cry* On the night before our wedding for Christ's sake!? Oh my God! *He takes his shades off and drops them in a chair as Adam hugs him. The Fly sobs on Adam's shoulder* Here I am working on our fucking wedding and she's in there with HIM! I mean people are bloody arriving and she's still in bed with Macphisto...I never ever thought this would happen. He said he already tried to seduce her and it didn't work, why the fuck should it have worked now!!!?? I never ever thought she would let him...
Adam: No? *The Fly looks through the window of the sitting room to Bluephisto's window across the way. The curtains are drawn tightly*
The Fly: *Impulsively breaking away from Adam and opening the door.* I've got to talk to her.
Adam: Fly! No! Just wait a while...
*Too late, The Fly is already sprinting down the hallway past confused guests. Adam picks up his abandoned shades and follows the distraught groom*

* The morning sun through the curtains in Bluephisto's room gives everything a golden glow. Before her eyes even open, she remembers what happened last night and a smile creeps over her face. Macphisto's chest rises up and down as he breathes in his sleep and Bluephisto raises her head to look at him. He looks so peaceful, his makeup is a little smudged, and his hair is tousled, but even in his sleep he is undeniably glamourous. Bluephisto wound a strand of slightly wavy black hair around her finger, she loved it like this, in the morning before it was slicked back and perfect. Macphisto fell asleep with his arms around her, so she gently loosens his grasp until she can stretch up and kiss him very lightly on the lips. *
Bluephisto: *Whispering* Mackie?
*He doesn't wake up at all, but tightens his arms around her. She smiles and rests her head against an olive green pillow case. *
Bluephisto: *Still whispering* I missed you so much...*She kisses his arm* I had no idea how much I missed you...
*There is a quiet knock at the door. Bluephisto freezes. The knock repeats. Bluephisto sighs and very slowly unwinds herself from Macphisto's arms. He is the deepest sleeper she has ever seen! The knock repeats a third time as she ties the red robe around her and looks back at Macphisto sleeping in the Olive green blankets. She opens the door*
The Fly: *Quietly and bitterly* Hey honey, we need to talk.
Bluephisto: *It hits her like a hangover...she HADN'T talked to The Fly last night. She sighs.* Yes. I'm sorry. Just let me get dressed. *She shuts the door again and goes into the bathroom to change back into her blue velvet dress, which she picked up from the floor beside the bed.
The Fly opens the door slowly and with great hesitation walks in. He never really believed it was true until he saw Macphisto sleeping on one side of the bed. A gasp turned his head*

Bluephisto: *Whispering* What are you doing in here!?
The Fly: *Also whispering* Better question, sweetheart..what is HE doing in here?
Bluephisto: *Covers her face with her hands and sighs* I'm so, so sorry.
*The Fly holds the door open for her and takes her arm, walking briskly down the hallway to a bathroom. He almost throws her in and follows her, locking the door behind him. Now alone with her he shouts.*
The Fly: What the FUCK do you think you're doing!?
Bluephisto: I'm sorry...I meant to tell you but it got all mixed up and then
The Fly: And then WHAT!? No come on, give me the details...the real good stuff what did you do to him, what did he do to you? Come on...Did he touch you first? Was he gentle? Did he kiss you!? *He grabs her and kisses her roughly. She pushes him away* COME ON!!! TELL ME ALL ABOUT IT!
Bluephisto: Fly...don't.
The Fly: Why not? Hmm? I mean I'm supposed to be your husband in about an hour. I should be able to kiss my future wife.
Bluephisto: Fly...calm down.
The Fly: I will NOT CALM DOWN!!! *He grabs her again and holds her very tightly, crying into her shoulder* I was nothing but sweet to you.
Bluephisto: *Also crying* I know, I know...I'm so sorry! I'm so sorry Fly. I meant to talk to you last night, to talk about us and how I still felt about Macphisto.
The Fly: *Angrily* That would have been fucking nice.
Bluephisto: I did go and talk to you! I went in the office and poured my heart out and said I'd still marry you if it made you happy because I care about you but I went into the wrong office.
The Fly: What?
Bluephisto: I thought you were lying on the couch resting, and I talked to you for a long time and then left because I was really really upset. But I was wrong. It wasn't you it was...
The Fly: Macphisto.
Bluephisto: Yes. He heard everything and came to my room and I really thought I had just talked to you...We talked and then, we kissed and things happened. I'm sorry. I'm more at fault than he is...I know you must hate me.
The Fly: *Kissing her hands with surprising tenderness* I don't hate you baby. I am mad as all hell and I really want to go break something, and I probably will, but I could never actually hate you.
Bluephisto: What!?
The Fly: *He holds her in his arms for a long time as he thinks* Look. I know that you expect me to walk away...but the way I see it, I always knew you loved him.
Bluephisto: How?
The Fly: You said so when you were drunk.
Bluephisto: I DID!?
The Fly: *Nodding sadly* In bed.
Bluephisto: *Hugging the Fly sympathetically* I'm so...oh my God. Why didn't you say something? I had no idea!
The Fly: Well, I proposed after that, the next morning. I thought I shouldn't just let you go.
Bluephisto: I'm just...horrified. Fly, you deserve better.
The Fly: *Looking at her earnestly with tear-ragged eyes* There is no better. I want you. I mean, it's refreshing for me to be the "good" one in a relationship...Bluey, baby...this is how I see it. I still wanna marry you. Call me a nut. But I do. We have a bunch of people down there and you have the dress and I stayed up all fucking night planning the damn thing so...
Bluephisto: *Puzzled* So?
The Fly: I'm going to stand up there and wait for you. If you show, we'll get married.
Bluephisto: Fly! *Speechless at his reckless romanticism* What if I don't come? What will you do?
The Fly: *Smiles and kisses the top of her head* I'll just keep waiting, in different places. It's up to you baby.
*He kisses her hand, taking the wedding ring, and walks out.*
*Bluephisto stands speechless in the bathroom, listening to the growing crowd of wedding guests.*

[This message has been edited by blueeyes (edited 11-12-2001).]

*Too late, The Fly is already sprinting down the hallway past confused guests. Adam picks up his abandoned shades and follows the distraught groom*

*Larry leaves Bona's room to find Adam, leaving Bona to finish her packing. He wanders down a hallway and runs into Adam, on his way somewhere, carrying Fly's shades. Adam waves.*
Adam: Hey, Larry, you got a minute?
Larry: Yeah, I was just coming to look for you. You wanted to talk to me?
Adam: Yeah, a question... did you ever formally propose to Bona?
Larry: *it dawns on him* No.
Adam: Now might be the time to do that...
Larry: Isn't the wedding starting soon?
Adam: Well... we'll see if that actually happens or not...
Larry: Okay... keep all the guests here. I think I know how I'm going to ask her.
Adam: *smiles* I can't wait to find out...
Larry: I just have to figure out what she did with the ring...
*Larry practically sprints down the hallway, back toward Bona's room. Adam smiles plesantly and keeps going with his search for the Fly.*

Back
Top Bottom